emalad
Topic Author

Question About BA Flights LHR-FCO

Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:47 pm

Have just booked flights for our honeymoon to Rome and decided to fly with BA.

Firstly I am dead chuffed that we will be going from Terminal 5 (BTW when does it open?)

I have never flown with BA before and was wondering what kind of service we will get? Is BA0558 on the way there and BA0053 on the way back.

Also I noticed that the flight there is on an A320 and back it is on a 767. Any reasons to why this is?

Cheers

FlyCaledonian

RE: Question About BA Flights LHR-FCO

Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:19 pm

You won't be flying from Terminal 5 to Rome. Those flights (along with Milan, Nice, Barcelona, Madrid and Lisbon) are staying in Terminal 1 for the summer at least and all will be operated by 757 aircraft. Once the LHR Terminal waltz gets underway those 757 flights will move to Terminal 3 alongside BA's Oneworld partners and selected longhaul flights (including Singapore, Bangkok and Sydney).
Let's Go British Caledonian!

emalad
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:23 pm

Oh right, the booking says Terminal 5 and I have just booked parking in the carpark for the terminal.

anstar

Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:34 pm

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 1):
You won't be flying from Terminal 5 to Rome. Those flights (along with Milan, Nice, Barcelona, Madrid and Lisbon) are staying in Terminal 1 for the summer at least and all will be operated by 757 aircraft.

That may have been the plan once, but all the GDS and BA's own timetable now says Rome flights are 767/A32S aircraft and depart form T5 for the summer.

The 757's will be going to project Lauren

theginge

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:13 pm

Quoting ANstar (Reply 3):
The 757's will be going to project Lauren

Not all of them, there will still be some left to cover the T3 shorthaul operation.

As far as I can see Rome is in T5.

ba319-131

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:32 pm

If you are travelling in 'Y you'll get an All Day Deli meal along with tea/coffee and a bar service.

BA's flight schedules do indeed show T5 as the departure and arrival terminal.

Best wishes

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

emalad
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:12 pm

Cheers for all your replies, am certainly looking forward to it.

Just a couple more questions:

*What are the general loadings like on the flights? (Going out Tuesday and coming back Sat lunchtime)
*What does a deli-meal consist of?
*What drinks can I have? Is it like long-haul to Oz?
*Which is better, the A320 or the 767? (Haven't been on either of those types)

Cheers

Oh and what is it like to get into Rome from the airport?

Aisak

Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:18 pm

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 1):
You won't be flying from Terminal 5 to Rome. Those flights (along with Milan, Nice, Barcelona, Madrid and Lisbon) are staying in Terminal 1

That's out-to-date news. BA destinations out of T3 will be MAD, BCN, HEL, LIS, ALG and NCE.

More info at:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/terminal5/public/en_gb
http://www.terminal5.ba.com

But watch out, It may contain info not updated recently. It says GB airways flights will operate out of T3 but that was before their purchase by Easyjet. It's also unknown where new AGP flights will operate from. On the first page you can read, there will be a new Arrivals Galleries lounge but on the latter they say SIN, SYD and BKK passengers will use AA arrivals lounge. But you can get a general idea.

LHR will be exciting will the whole musical chairs game during 2008

AlanUK

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:17 am

Hello EMAlad.

I'm BA crew, and I'll try to answer some of your questions

Quoting EMAlad (Reply 6):
What are the general loadings like on the flights?

I would say that flights to Rome are usually very busy, I worked on the afternoon 757 flight a lot, and it's always full, usually with plenty of Church related people, and school kids.

What does a deli-meal consist of?

On the Rome, in the morning, it'll be a ham or bacon brioche roll with tea and coffee (and your choice of drinks from the bar). All is complimentary, expect Champagne, but if you tell the crew it's your honeymoon, they might make it extra special for you.

For the rest of the day, the All day Deli service is a good quality sandwich (produced by Marks & Spencer) choice of regular or vegetarian, drinks from the bar, tea and coffee.

Tax free shopping is also available on these flights.

What drinks can I have? Is it like long-haul to Oz?

Yes, the bars are identical to BA longhaul Traveller bars (expect for sparkling wine, which isn't available in Europe)

Which is better, the A320 or the 767? (Haven't been on either of those types)

The A320 would be a new A320 on this route, it's a lovely plane with drop down TV screens and moving maps. 3x3 config in EuroTraveller.
The B767 is a -300ER type, and is obviously a twin aisle, 252 seater aircraft with a long haul feeling to it. Whilst it is spacious and airy, it is getting old, and shows signs of wear and tear, especially in the rear cabin, which is still cloth seats. That said, it is a comfortable ride.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have checked again, it will be T5. Make sure you tell the dispatcher or check in staff that it is a honeymoon trip!
I hope you have a safe and pleasant trip.

Regards,
Alan.

APYu

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:15 am

Quoting AlanUK (Reply 8):
For the rest of the day, the All day Deli service is a good quality sandwich (produced by Marks & Spencer) choice of regular or vegetarian, drinks from the bar, tea and coffee.

Wow that must be a change - Ive never had a good quality sandwich on BA yet!!! The middles are normally soggy as theyve been chilled for so long while the crusts are often dry as hell. Still - think yourself lucky - it could have been a birdseed flight where youd get a pack of e-numbers mixed with a selection of seeds and nibbly bits.

Yes, the bars are identical to BA longhaul Traveller bars (expect for sparkling wine, which isn't available in Europe)

Lucky Heathrow passengers !!! - with another schedule change comes even more cuts - at Gatwick the 'bar' consists of only Beer or Wine these days on the european sectors. That birdseed needs to be accompanied by Vodka - bring back spirits!
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

Bongodog1964

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:08 am

For the rest of the day, the All day Deli service is a good quality sandwich (produced by Marks & Spencer)

When did Marks and Spencer ever "produce" anything ?. They are a retailer who have products made by 3rd parties to their own specifications. I can't really see why BA would purchase via M&S. They might however use the same supplier as M&S

cornish

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:20 am

I would say that flights to Rome are usually very busy, I worked on the afternoon 757 flight a lot, and it's always full,

You operating it next week? I'm on the Wednesday afternoon BA flight out to FCO for some meetings. Its down as a 757. I assume that's still the case.

Oh and what is it like to get into Rome from the airport?

Very easy. Get the dedicated express train from the airport straight into Termini station - the main station for Rome. It's not expensive and takes 30 mins.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

ncelhr

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:39 am

Sorry, but I am yet to taste an all day Deli Sandwich that tasted good - and I have eaten hundreds of them.
Since they are all loaded outbound, expect the sandwich to taste worse inbound (ie. coming back to the UK) - soggy inside & dry as cardboard outside. A real shame compared to what BA used to serve in the past.
Those sandwiches were introduced after 911 as a cost cutting measure. I am surprised they are still there.

emalad
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:17 pm

Thanks AlanUK!!

Am really looking forward to the trip. We are flying out on the 26th August and back again on the 30th so I would expect that the flights will be VERY busy, lol.

Am also looking forward to flying with BA. My fiance has only ever flown on charter or locost, so I hope she will be impressed hehe.

Now all we need to sort out are, flowers, cars, invitations, cake, dresses/suits, hehe, the list goes on!!!!

Thanks again

Sketty222

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:37 pm

I can confirm that you will definately be flying out of T5 and am quite envious of you.

Rome is a fantastic place also and Im sure you'll enjoy yourself out there. Dont worry about the wedding plans, they will all come together eventually although I know from personal experience how stressed you can get.

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

AIR MALTA

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:47 pm

On the Rome, in the morning, it'll be a ham or bacon brioche roll with tea and coffee (and your choice of drinks from the bar). All is complimentary, expect Champagne, but if you tell the crew it's your honeymoon, they might make it extra special for you.

Well BA is my favourite airline but I am very sad to say that the catering has gotten worse lately. I am a regular VIE-LHR-VIE traveller and each time I fly I have the same Sandwich selection. And that's it. When I used these services first, in 2004, we used to get a hot pizza slice, a small salad and a youghort.... It was really tasty. Why was that removed. This year I tried the morning VIE-LHR service and we got that horrible Bacon Brioche... I even found the catering better on dometic flights. Now Austrian Airlines is offering free catering onboard and it is very delicious and healthy. If things continue like that, people will switch to OS. BA has to gather its act and rethink its catering on European routes.

[Edited 2008-01-09 05:14:03]
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

sk736

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:57 pm

For the rest of the day, the All day Deli service is a good quality sandwich

I admire your dedication to your employer, but describing BA's All Day Deli sandwich as 'good quality' is stretching the truth just a little too far.

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 10):
When did Marks and Spencer ever "produce" anything ?.

Agreed - M&S doesn't make sandwiches, it just sells them.

Bongodog1964

Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:10 pm

Quoting SK736 (Reply 16):
For the rest of the day, the All day Deli service is a good quality sandwich

I admire your dedication to your employer, but describing BA's All Day Deli sandwich as 'good quality' is stretching the truth just a little too far.

"Stretching the truth just a little far" ?. The last time I was issued with a BA sandwich, it consisted of two slices of cheap white bread with something smeared in the middle. Not a lettuce leaf, piece of cucumber or tomato in sight. Any comparision with M&S or any other supplier of quality sandwiches is simply not true.

emalad
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:21 pm

Oh well, I am sure it will be lovely whatever I am served, washed down with a couple of beers hehe. Have only been on Lo-cost recently so anything free will be a bonus! (Even the fares weren't that much more than EZY/FR)

Am certainly looking forward to going from terminal 5, although I still can't understand why 1 flight a day is 767 while the rest are A320

emalad
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks for all your help so far, not sure why my post was moved forums though, lol

davescj

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:17 pm

As one who flies on the BA route and lives in Rome, a couple things....

If in Club, good food/wine. May I recommend the Frech Bourdoux (sp?), it is quite good.

The BA service on a 757 has no audio visual, neither does the 737.

The cabin service is quite good in my experience.

Second, luggage in FCO is a nightmare of a wait. Think at least 30 min, and 60 isn't unheard of if you come during the day.

The train to downtown (Staz. Termini) is 11 Euro each, leaves ever 30 min, and then gets you close to everything by cab (for hotel). Cabs can be quite expensive from the airport.

When you go to Roman Forum, by your ticket for the Palentine hill -- it is the same ticket as the Coloseum. This will save you much time.

The Vatican musems are excellent, and lines form early.

Enjoy the city!

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?