Adman737
Topic Author

I Would Love To Read Stories About 1 Day Flights.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:26 am

What I mean by that is today i took a flight from newport news, va to atlanta i left at 5:49 and got in at 7:20 then left at 8:20 and got in at 9:25 I loved it had a lot of fun. My wife and i had nothing else to do so we booked a cheap flight and fun we had dinner in ATL relaxed and chilled on the plane. How many of you guys out there in A.net do this?

Sorry if the title throws you off i didnt know how else to put it.

[Edited 2008-01-11 19:27:05]

SQA350

RE: I Would Love To Read Stories About 1 Day Fligh

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:53 am

Did the same when I was living in Phuket. I took Silk Air and went for a good lunch to Singapore. Flying time of about 90 minutes. It sure was fun and some spotting in SIN too!

And in October we flew from BKK to JNB via AUH for just one night for the sake of flying and having dinner in JNB...
"No more window seats in business class, sir!" "Any in economy? Yes? Then downgrade me!"

azo

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:54 am

That does sound like fun, just something to do for the day. I wish I could afford that, but flights out of any of the local airports around here are pretty pricey. We'd have to drive to Chicago or Detroit to get anything decent and that ruins the point/fun.
Kalamazoozoozoozoozoozoozoo

WildcatYXU

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:59 am

Perhaps that's not you want to read about, but I had day trip from YYZ to YVR. It was a service call. We had to replace a slit lamp for the laser delivery unit (easy job if you know what to do), but the local service rep wasn't willing to do it. Since I was the company's senior service rep at the time, I had to do it. There was only one problem, I had my ticket to BUD already booked and the customer wasn't willing to wait 3 weeks until I return, so I had only one day. I left YYZ early morning, arriving to YVR around 09.30. The return flight was leaving at 14.30. I grabbed a cab that brought me to the customer in Richmond, BC. Guess what, the slit lamp wasn't there (it was sent UPS Early morning delivery the day before). So I called the office, they called UPS and found out that the driver was already there and there was nobody at the site to receive it. UPS made the driver come back and deliver the slit lamp. Once I had it, it was simple. Replace the slit lamp, check the focal plane on all zoom settings, do a slight adjustment... 12.30, everything done. Cab, check-in, lunch at YVR, then enjoy the flight back. Less than 24 hours after arrival I boarded a plane again - this time on my way to Europe.

It was one of my weirdest service calls ever. Over 9 hours of flight time, almost 4000 nm flown - for 90 minutes of work. All in one day.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

COERJ145

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:07 am

I'm doing a few quick trips to see collages(mainly the aviation part). I'm visiting Embry-Riddle Prescott next friday for a 48hr trip, University of North Dakota Grand Forks 3 weeks after that for a 72hr trip. Then i'm visiting Embry-Riddle Daytona Beach for a day(leave in the AM, return 18hrs later). Also in March i'll be flying SkyBus for a day(down to FL and back) just to see what there like(only cost me $30). I'll bring my camera and write up some trip reports!!

[Edited 2008-01-11 20:08:08]

GARUDAROD

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:13 am

I can supply several variations of that theme. When GARUDA used to fly between LAX and HNL
enroute to Indonesia, I know many people who would hop on the flight to HNL, coincidently it was the
last flight of the night from LAX to HNL, for dinner, go lay on the beach in the morning and take the
noon flight back to LAX to have lunch. They would spend 8hrs or so on the beach and come home.
I used to fly the redeye LAX-EWR, arrive in the morning, attend the Airliners show at EWR and then
return home to same afternoon to LAX. I have also flown LAX/AMS on Friday night, arrived AMS
on SAT morning transited to FRA for the airline show there and return back to LAX on Sunday afternoon.
Ahh the good ole days of airline travel being a Non-rev.
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

B747forever

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:40 am

Quoting GARUDAROD (Reply 5):
I have also flown LAX/AMS on Friday night, arrived AMS
on SAT morning transited to FRA for the airline show there and return back to LAX on Sunday afternoon.
Ahh the good ole days of airline travel being a Non-rev.

Quoting SQA350 (Reply 1):
And in October we flew from BKK to JNB via AUH for just one night for the sake of flying and having dinner in JNB

Wow, that is really long flights for just a day!!!
Work Hard, Fly Right

SQA350

Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:00 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 6):
Wow, that is really long flights for just a day!!!

Yep indeed, but lots of fun, including a Lebanese picnic on a lawn next to the AUH terminal. We tried Etihad because they had a very good offer
"No more window seats in business class, sir!" "Any in economy? Yes? Then downgrade me!"

JGPH1A

Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:26 am

Done a few day trips for work, they're just usually long and tiring.

Quoting SQA350 (Reply 1):
And in October we flew from BKK to JNB via AUH for just one night for the sake of flying and having dinner in JNB...

Back in the 80's when there was only one flight a week JNB-HKG, SAA staff (including me) would go to HKG for the day shopping - depart JNB Friday lunchtime, overnight to HKG (via MRU), arrive HKG 9am Saturday, shop up a storm, have an early dinner, head back to the airport, depart HKG around 9pm, overnight to JNB (via a VERY early morning stop in MRU), back in JNB 6am Sunday morning. The second time I went, a bunch of us got off in MRU (we didn't have traffic rights, but staff were allowed), spent Sunday in MRU on the beach (I got sunstroke but it was still good fun) and flew back to JNB Sunday night via DUR. Knackering but good.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

SQA350

Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:06 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 8):
Back in the 80's when there was only one flight a week JNB-HKG, SAA staff (including me) would go to HKG for the day shopping - depart JNB Friday lunchtime, overnight to HKG (via MRU), arrive HKG 9am Saturday, shop up a storm, have an early dinner, head back to the airport, depart HKG around 9pm, overnight to JNB (via a VERY early morning stop in MRU), back in JNB 6am Sunday morning. The second time I went, a bunch of us got off in MRU (we didn't have traffic rights, but staff were allowed), spent Sunday in MRU on the beach (I got sunstroke but it was still good fun) and flew back to JNB Sunday night via DUR. Knackering but good.

Sounds like good fun too!

Actually my friend and me are discussing now to maybe do BKK Ushuaia. BKK - KUL - JNB - CPT - EZE - Ushuaia in as little time as possible, but definitely spending a full day and night in Buenos Aires to check out the city and have a good steak for dinner and a bottle of Argentinean wine. That would be a killer!

ag92

Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Does SIN - SYD - SIN count, for one night just for flying on the inaugural Airbus 380 flight?

fbgdavidson

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:26 pm

Lots of these...most recently last weekend. Flew RIC-LAX via lots of places on Saturday morning/afternoon, came back the same evening overnight arriving on Sunday morning. Trip report coming up on that one.

My shortest long distance trip was last January. When I went home for Xmas I swore blind I'd see a friend of mine whilst I was over. I didn't and we said we should meet for a beer some time somewhere neutral. He suggested Amsterdam and I thought why not? On Friday afternoon I left work and drove to Dulles, flew IAD-LHR-AMS on BA. We had a nice afternoon in Amsterdam in a local bar. I took the train back to the airport pretty late then on Sunday I went AMS-LHR-IAD arriving Sunday evening. Went back to work on Monday morning.  Smile

A few trip reports:

LHR-BRU-LHR for the day with my father (December 2005) LHR-BRU-LHR In BD Business/Economy (w/pics+video) (by Fbgdavidson Dec 31 2005 in Trip Reports)

LHR-BCN-AGP-BCN-LHR for the day (October 2004) BA Club Europe & IB Business: LHR-BCN-AGP-BCN-LHR (by Fbgdavidson Nov 15 2004 in Trip Reports)

LHR-TXL-LHR for the day with my mother (September 2004) BA Club Europe: LHR-TXL-LHR Aug 2004 (w/ Pics) (by Fbgdavidson Dec 3 2004 in Trip Reports)

SOU-EDI-SOU for the day with a friend (July 2005) Quest For £100 Note: BA SOU-EDI-(SOU)BHX (w/ Pics) (by Fbgdavidson Jul 28 2005 in Trip Reports)

LGW-AMS-LGW for the day with a friend (September 2005) BA Club Europe: LGW-AMS-LGW (with Pictures) (by Fbgdavidson Sep 26 2005 in Trip Reports)

What I miss about living in the US is the ability to hop across to the continent for the day, be in a completely different city and then fly home again in the same day  Sad
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

iairallie

Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:04 pm

I flew up to BOS from IAD early in the morning. I rented a car and drove around the Lexington-Arlington area where I spent about 7 years of my childhood ,had some lunch, then flew back to IAD on a 5pm flight.

Also did a a few day trips to NYC. Went ice skating in central park on one trip. On another I went to a show taping and had lunch with friends.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

wrighbrothers

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:59 am

Oh I do those kind of things every now and then

flown:
LHR-EDI-WIC-LSI-ABZ-LHR
LHR-EDI
LHR-GLA
LHR-AMS

I'm also planning on doing LHR-JFK-LHR in 'one' day, the flight back lands at some stupidly early hour the next day but it's early enough to have a full day back in England while having a few hours in New York.
You can have breakfast on the plane to JFK, lunch in New York and dinner on the plane back to LHR !

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

NG1Fan

Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:26 am

Wasn't for fun, and I swore I'd never do it again.

I was due in SYD for a work meeting starting at 8.30am local time. So instead of the sensible thing to do and arriving the night before, I left BNE in the morning. With daylight savings, it meant catching a 4.55am flight to SYD. Lots of grumpy suits on board - and who could blame them. I was up at 3.30am, catching a cab at 4am, to arrive at BNE 30 min before departure. No luggage.

Had meeting, lunch, battling sleep the whole day, too many coffees. Back at SYD for return flight to BNE on 8pm, arrived at 8.30pm. Got home, shower and to sleep by 10pm. Never do that again.

NG1Fan

PlymSpotter

Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:08 am

Something I have done a fair bit of, but not so much now, unless it's to destinations where I have already seen a lot of the cities, as I would rather stay a few days to really see the place.

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 13):
I'm also planning on doing LHR-JFK-LHR in 'one' day, the flight back lands at some stupidly early hour the next day but it's early enough to have a full day back in England while having a few hours in New York.

I did something very similar by accident, thanks to a cock up and long delay with AZ on my outbound flight. LHR-AMS-JFK-FCO-LHR, with just shy of 19 hours in NYC - most spent asleep, with just enough time to visit the B&H store.

Other routes I've done;

PLH-BRS-PLH - Originally did it because I was impatient to fly on Air Southwest because I doubted they would be around for long and that I wouldn't have a chance to fly them again... I was majorly wrong on all counts then! I've done it several times recently for university and work, but that is a grueling day: Wake up at 5am, airport by 6am, take off at 6:30 then by means of a bus get to Bristol train station and take the next service to Birmingham. Leave there again by 5pm, train to Bristol, coach back to the airport and take off at 8.30pm for PLH, getting home by about 9:30 in the evening. Still, it beat the train all the way in time and price, plus they are horrible things  grumpy 
PLH-BRS-DUB-BRS-PLH - just for the hell of it and to fly on a B732 with FR and see some bits of Dublin
MAD-LPA-MAD - during the Mega MAD/LPA A.net meet! Had a nice meal and walk along the beach, got slightly sun burnt!
BHX-DUB-BHX - first time to meet British767 for a pint in DUB, and several times since for fun/work.
BHX-EDI-BHX - needed to visit the new Scottish Parliament for a project I was working on.
BHX-BFS-STN-GLA-BHX, - random day trip, purely to enjoy flying.
BHX-DUB-STN-GLA-BHX - I fancied a pint in DUB again, but came home in the afternoon an unusual way with FR, AB and BE.
MAH-BCN-LHR/LGW-MAH - had a spare set of return tickets, thought I might as well use them. Had dinner in LHR, then went to Gatwick and flew home
MPH-MNL-MPH - Originally to have a wander at the old DC3 frames at MNL, only by the time I left there was only a couple of hours there, but I still got to see what I went for.

There are many more, but most of the rest were only taken for the sake of flying the aircraft, not what the destination had to hold.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

northwestEWR

Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:06 am

I've only done it once and it was exhausting. I managed to cash in 50K miles for the last 747-200 flight at Northwest, left EWR for MSP at 6AM, made it to SEA by noon. Spent an hour in Seattle, turned around on the 742 and was home by midnight. 5,000 miles, 18 hours and one hell of a trip.

It's a lot of fun, I'd definitely do it again! Photos and trip report: NW EWR-MSP-SEA-MSP-EWR On The Last 747-200 (by NorthwestEWR Sep 13 2007 in Trip Reports)
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

slatsnflaps

Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:07 am

Until several years ago NW used to offer day shopping trips to the Mall of America (just blocks from KMSP) between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'd leave KGRB with an empty carry-on at about 0600 for the 50 or so minute flight which cost $99. The bus ride to the Mall was $1. I'd come home on a return flight at around 1900 with my carry-on bag filled with Christmas gifts. DC-9s both directions. I haven't seen those flights advertised in quite some time but they were offered from departure points all around the upper midwestern United States.

bullpitt

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi all

My one day flights have been

MAD-GRX ( 3 TIMES )
MAD-SCQ
MAD-BCN ( 2 TIMES )
MAD-LIS ( 2 TIMES )

I love my one day trips.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

IH8BY

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:02 pm

I did a bit of an impulse buy on Ryanair.com last year... I was studying in Durham, and booked NCL-DUB day trip for £16... however, a timetable change for a National Rail train meant that my plans to arrive at NCL early in the morning were foiled, and I found myself arriving there late at night and staying in the departure lounge until it was time to check in. NCL isn't a fantastic place to spend the night; I don't think I'll ever be so delighted to see Greggs open... those 47p sausage rolls seemed just the tonic after a sleepless night on a metal chair.

Flight there was great (timetabled 1 hour... though with FR's generous timings that worked out as a 40 minute flight), though I was tired throughout the day... I don't know how I managed to, but I fell asleep sitting upright on a sightseeing bus in windy conditions!

Good day, though the flight on the way back was late enough for me to miss all but the 02:10 train back to Durham. Waiting outside Newcastle Central station, I fell asleep first leaning on a bollard and second in a bus shelter.

That was a weird day.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

st530

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:55 pm

I've done IAH-NYC and back in a day a few times. But last April, I took CO 52 from IAH-EZE, arrived 10 a.m., had a few hours of meetings, and then took CO 51 back to IAH the same night. (My boss has done that day trip about 5 times.) The crew was the same on both legs. What do they do for the 10 hours? Sleep?

Viscount724

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:02 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 11):
Lots of these...most recently last weekend. Flew RIC-LAX via lots of places on Saturday morning/afternoon, came back the same evening overnight arriving on Sunday morning.

What would prompt you to put up with that kind of punishment voluntarily?!

DavecFlyer

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:19 pm

Before Christmas I travelled DUB-EDI and return for the day with Ryanair. Total flight cost was €0.02 !!!

I am also doing a day trip DUB-NCL and return on the 1st of March also with Ryanair.

Its great and easy to do when your local airport is a Ryanair base. Normally you could not get these fares at the weekend but recently they seem to be always available...
ei,sf,fr,amm,cc,wx,bd,ba,ok,ua,ma,ay,re,cx,qf,fj,as,ac,az,adh,fua,ib,aww,km,aa,vs,nw,skb,cli,ne,kl,sa,ek,fi,lh,sn,af,qi,

OA260

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:51 pm

Heres my 6 hours in Athens TR from Dublin ::
LX J Class DUB-ZRH-ATH Vids+Pics (12 JAN 2008) (by OA260 Jan 14 2008 in Trip Reports)

Evan767

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:55 pm

I've done 24 hour trips all over the place:

RIC-LAX
RIC-SFO
RIC-LAS
RIC-IND
RIC-CMH
RIC-MIA
RIC-FLL
RIC-RSW
RIC-MCO
RIC-TPA
RIC-EYW
RIC-ATL
RIC-CHS
RIC-CVG
RIC-ORD
DCA-LGA
RIC-LGA
RIC-PHL
RIC-MBJ
RIC-ZRH
RIC-DUB
RIC-EZE
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

Jeremy

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:57 am

If I had a dollar for every daytrip I have done........

LAS-LAX
LAS-SAN
LAS-BUR
LAS-SNA
LAS-SBA
LAS-SBP
LAS-PHX
LAS-OAK
LAS-SFO
LAS-SEA
LAS-PDX
LAS-IFP
LAS-SGU
LAS-GCN
LAS-MSY
LAS-AUS
LAS-ATL
LAS-BOS
LAS-JFK
LAS-RNO
LAS-ELP
LAS-MSP
LAS-SAT
LAS-MKE
LAS-SMF
LAS-PSP
LAS-ORD
LAS-MDW
LAS-GEG
LAS-PHL
PHX-MEX
LAX-LHR
LAX-MEM
IAH-ORY
MIA-CPT
SEA-SAN
SEA-LAS
SEA-RNO
SEA-MSP
SEA-DEN
SMF-ONT
SMF-AUS
SMF-PIT
SMF-PHL
SMF-SAN
SMF-PHX
SMF-LAS
SMF-STL
SMF-HOU
SMF-SEA
IND-MCI
IND-DCA
IND-LGA
IND-JAN
IND-MOB
IND-DTW
IND-ORD
IND-MDW
IND-PVD
IND-PFN
RNO-OAK
OAK-RNO
OAK-ABQ
OAK-TUS
OAK-LAX
OAK-SNA
OAK-ONT
OAK-BUR

There are probably a few more too.

The craziest one was going LAS-EWR-MIA-CPT-MIA-IAH-LAS.
I was in CPT for about 30 hours for a friends party.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

signol

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:40 am

Thanks to Ryanair, I've been on daytrips from Stansted to Rome (Ciampino) and Venice (Treviso). Both times had time to visit the cities themselves, visiting most of the main tourist sites.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

crox1

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:36 am

Hi,

I do this quite often as well,

Last month I had a weeks vacation to use up and my partner could not get any time off, so I took advantage of the situation and went

MON: STN - CRL (FR 738)
CRL - DUB (FR 738)
DUB - ORK (FR 738)
ORK - DUB (RE ATR42)
DUB - STN (FR738)

all that just to fly on an Aer Arann ATR-42, the whole day cost me me in the region of £40 ($80).

TUES: STN - DUB (FR738)
DUB - STN (FR 738)

THURS: STN - AMS (EZ 319)
AMS - STN (EZ319)

FRI: STN - BHD (FR738)
BHD - IOM (3W Dash8)
IOM - EDI (BA Saab340)
EDI - LCY (BA RJ100)

the above got me my first flights on a Dash 8 and a Saab 340B.

Have got a few more days in the pipeline, including DUS, FRA, DUB, AMS.

Andy
Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute

nema

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:31 pm

Ok,

No me but a mate of mine won two free tickets on AA from London.

If i remember it all correctly, i,m sure that he went from London to Dallas with his girlfriend now his wife, they went straight from the terminal in Dallas to Six Flags Magic Mountain theme park, then back to the airport to fly the return to London. I begged him for the 2nd ticket but his lady got in first. All of this in around 24 exausting hours.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

airtrainer

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:05 pm

Quoting Signol (Reply 26):
Thanks to Ryanair, I've been on daytrips from Stansted to Rome (Ciampino) and Venice (Treviso). Both times had time to visit the cities themselves, visiting most of the main tourist sites.

Same for me, but from CRL  Smile

CRL-DUB (twice)
CRL-CIA
CRL-BGY

I really love doing this and I hope to do some similar trips this year...
Life is short : eat dessert first !

lobster

Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:12 pm

I went did MSP-SFO once. Had some cheap tickets and the redeye back is handy. Had a full day in San Fran to see some sights, meet up with a buddy for dinner and fly home.

Did a ML MSP-MEM-PHX-MEM-MSP once. Was in PHX for 25 minutes before it was time to head back as our flight out of MEM was delayed.

Two years ago for my birthday, I decided on Thursday that I'd go to London for the weekend. Spent less than 48 hours in London, but had one hell of a good time with a friend I had living there.

This weekend, I'm doing another ML to FRA. Total time on ground between FRA and AMS will be seven hours. I have enough time to head into the city when I get to AMS and go eat at this place I usually go too then head back and fly home.

If I had more money, I'd do alot more of this. I think it's great to just go and do some day trips.

levent

Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:59 pm

Of the day flights that spring into mind, these include (v.v.):

- Valencia to Palma de Mallorca with Air Europa
- Valencia to Sevilla with Vueling
- Valencia to Paris with Vueling
- Brussels to London with Virgin Express
- Amsterdam to London with KLM/Kenya Airways
- Eindhoven to Hamburg with KLM exel
- Maastricht to Amsterdam with KLM exel
- Antwerp to Amsterdam with KLM exel

And when working as Ops Officer in Spain, I often travelled all around the country in one day (on Air Nostrum).
My favourite routing was Valencia-Malaga-Melilla-Almeria-Barcelona-Valencia, leaving at seven in the morning and arriving around midnight...

fbgdavidson

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:19 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 21):
What would prompt you to put up with that kind of punishment voluntarily?!

In-N-Out Burger, the chance to write another trip report, and a boatload of frequent flyer miles... United & US First Class: RIC-PDX-RIC (w/pics&vid) (by Fbgdavidson Jan 15 2008 in Trip Reports)
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey