Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dl767captain
Topic Author

United Explus

Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:30 pm

I will be traveling to charleston SC in a couple days (sadly for a funeral) but our flights are from SAN-CHS and the ORD-CHS flight is on an explus CRJ. I read about this online but has anyone flown on one of these types of planes or know what the service/flight is actually like? And we also have the option of flights of an A320 or a 757, which one would you guys recommend?

roseflyer

RE: United Explus

Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:39 pm

Well Explus planes are actually quite comfortable. On the CR7s, the cabin is rather comfortable. 2-2 seating is quite nice since there are no middle seats. Service is weak. There is just a drink service. Also there is no IFE, so you don't get channel 9 or video like on mainline planes.

I recommend ExPlus. It's comparable to economy. Also in ORD the flights depart from the C-Concourse and not the express gates. It feels like mainline and most people cannot tell the difference.

One bad thing is that the ExPlus flights are often delayed more than mainline. Those planes do a lot of short hops to and from ORD with tight turns, so at the end of the day they can get quite delayed and backed up if ORD goes into flow control. I recommend having a long connection time if you go from Express/ExPlus to mainline in the evenings at ORD.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

SAN787

Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:50 pm

I prefer the 757 over A320...can't go wrong with either though.
those who don't get carried away should be.

SAN787

Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:53 pm

I'd go CLD-LAX-IAD-CHS on E120/777/CRJ. Do you ever fly out of Carlsbad?

dl767captain
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:09 am

Quoting SAN787 (Reply 3):

I love flying out of carlsbad just for the simplicity but it makes the day very long when flying to CHS, it is for a funeral so we don't really need the stress, but i would have loved to fly the 777.

united319

Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:14 am

Quoting SAN787 (Reply 3):

When I lived in SAN I would frequently do CLD-LAX-IAD/ORD-JAX. I miss those good ole days. Soon, UAX will be the only carrier in CLD. HP is pulling out on valentines day.

Back to the topic. As far as economy is concerned the service on a CRJ-700 or CRJ-200 is no different. You still get your soda with pretzels depending on your routing that maybe more than you get on a mainline flight. Ted flights only let you have the cup of soda, not the can. Anyway, the EMB170 is a very nice airplane to ride on. The seats are as big as mainline seats both in United Economy/Economy Plus, and United First. In first they give you this snack box that says "U N I T E D F I R S T exPlus" it has some gourmet pasta, with other snacks in it. They also give you a hot towel service. It was very nice. You can tell the difference better on the E710s more than you can the CR7s. Happy flying!
It's Time To Fly

dl767captain
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:53 am

Quoting United319 (Reply 5):
HP is pulling out on valentines day.

Really? i was pretty sure US was continuing the service... it was definately nice flying from there to PHX. But i also heard some rumors about them fixing up the airport to allow CRJs, eventually allowing DL to come into CLD.

SAN787

Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:44 am

Once the new terminal opens, I could defintely see DL coming in for a couple daily to SLC, US coming back and UA adding RJ service to SFO too.

xjramper

Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:06 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 1):
Also in ORD the flights depart from the C-Concourse and not the express gates. It feels like mainline and most people cannot tell the difference.

Explus is a product offered not a type of flight. Explus equipped aircraft most certainly fly out of the express gates as well as the C concourse. And yes most people can tell the difference when we have to gate check their bag because it doesn't fit on board the aircraft as opposed to a mainline flight.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

Transpac787

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:15 pm

One bad thing is that the ExPlus flights are often delayed more than mainline.

This is not the fault of UAX, this is the fault of UA mainline. UA is the only legacies that has contract stipulations saying that when ORD goes into flow control, UAX must give up their landing slots to mainline, thus severely delaying flights on the UAX side.

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 6):
But i also heard some rumors about them fixing up the airport to allow CRJs,

They'd have to increase the length of the runway if they wanted to do that, not just build a new terminal...

Quoting SAN787 (Reply 7):
Once the new terminal opens, I could defintely see DL coming in for a couple daily to SLC, US coming back and UA adding RJ service to SFO too.

Again, the CLD airport runway is only 4,897 feet, which can sometimes be a challenge for even the EM2's during the summer. Any RJ flights into CLD, with the current runway, would have to take huge weight limits to the point where the flights would probably not operate profitably.

burnsie28

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:59 pm

Also in ORD the flights depart from the C-Concourse and not the express gates.

Not always true, when I flew ORD-COS my Explus CR7 departed out of the express gates, one of the few express gates that actually had a jetway. Along with some other Explus flights were there.

xjramper

Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:03 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 9):
Again, the CLD airport runway is only 4,897 feet, which can sometimes be a challenge for even the EM2's during the summer. Any RJ flights into CLD, with the current runway, would have to take huge weight limits to the point where the flights would probably not operate profitably.

Reminds me of EYW. One bag per person and only one carryon...total of two bags and thats it. Same difference. Although, I agree with you, I cannot see it being very profitable.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

united319

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:57 am

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 6):
Really? i was pretty sure US was continuing the service... it was definately nice flying from there to PHX. But i also heard some rumors about them fixing up the airport to allow CRJs, eventually allowing DL to come into CLD.

I flew US out of there in January and they had the sign up saying that they're closing their doors. I asked a friend at US why they pulled out apparently they didnt do too well he said that UA owns that airport as far as profiablility is concerned. But also there was a blueprint in the "lobby area" of the terminal (trailor) displaying the new CLD. It looks pretty nice with 5 gates in it that showed could park a Q400, CRJ, CR7, etc. I would imagine that they could expand the runway on the west side of the field. If that happens I would guess that OO would expand with CRJs to SFO and maybe DEN. QX with PDX or SEA service, and posibbly YV comming back with PHX flights. There was also an add for this company that flies D328 turbo props to Vegas (not LAS though). Anyone have info on them???
It's Time To Fly

Super80DFW

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:20 pm

Well, since it looks like all of you flights will have both EconomyPlus, and United First Services. That means that you can upgrade from Economy to EconomyPlus (Pending Space Available), or to United First (Pending Space Available). I definitely recommend EcomonyPlus! It is worth the upgrade price if you are tall. The actual service may not anything more than regular Economy, but you get at least 4" more inches of legroom.

Cubsrule

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:23 pm

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 13):
I definitely recommend EcomonyPlus! It is worth the upgrade price if you are tall. The actual service may not anything more than regular Economy, but you get at least 4" more inches of legroom.

...and you're looking at something in the neighborhood of $40-$50 to do that. Well worth it if you ask me.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more