Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Paddy
Topic Author

A/B: Why Are/Aren't You A Cheerleader?

Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:06 am

Admit it. You're a cheerleader. You like your company and defend it passionately. Sometimes you even say spiteful things or skew facts about the opposion over in Civ Av. Since this is Polls & Prefs we can all be honest and let it all out. Think of it as a.nut therapy. I want to know what it is you like about Boeing or Airbus. Or what you dislike about Boeing or Airbus. Is it where they are from? The performance of their products? What they do or don't offer? Their strategy? Their marketing? Their in-flight experience (from a consumer perspective or as a pilot)?

As for myself, in the polarized world of A vs. B I'm what you could call center-right. I have a slight bias toward Boeing since I'm born and raised in the Pacific Northwest. I also prefer Boeing's current strategy with the 787. I think there are pronounced macroeconomic benefits associated with point to point air travel. However, I'm a huge Airbus fan as well. I think they are an incredibly daring and innovative organization and its great to see the EU once again have a player in this strategic industry that they can be proud of. I like to see US carriers order Airbus if and when Airbus has a superior product for their needs. As far my experience goes, I've been on more Boeing widebodies and more Airbus narrowbodies but have no preference for either. They both get me safely and efficiently to my destination.

So there you have it. Lets be civil about it, we can discuss our differences here without having to bring out the trolls and flamethrowers.

PS: I'm not trying to promote a duopoly here so if you really are more interested in Douglas, Embraer, Bombardier, Mitsubishi, Sukhoi, Tupolev or whatnot you can talk about that as well...

[Edited 2008-02-09 22:07:49]

[Edited 2008-02-09 22:09:21]

cpd

RE: A/B: Why Are/Aren't You A Cheerleader?

Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 am

Airbus and Boeing both don't interest me - so I can't get involved in the A/B disputes. But, I have a vested interest - Concorde is sacred for me.

Neither of the big companies interest me much because they are building planes about as interesting as dishwater in my opinion. Sure, they have more efficiency, but they just don't have that wow factor that made flying something special. Every time you saw a Concorde, it was something special, an event to cherish. By comparison, the new A380, well, we were lucky to be the one of the first cities in the world to be given a commercial A380 service, but after the first landing, it's just another plane.

I don't mind the A320, I think it is a wonderful little airplane, and I admire the 747, but hate flying on it for long distance flights. Unless you can get me some device that completely cancels the noise of engines, and a remote control to shut galley curtains and switch of the televisions with their bright blue map displays at night!

andz

Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:43 pm

I don't care either way. My favourite airline (SAA) operates both, and, if I fly with anyone else, as long as I feel safe I'm not bothered.

My first 3 flights weren't on either company's aircraft (Trident, VC-10, Viscount) so I don't have that first impression that some do.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

columba

Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:29 pm

I don´t like a certain manufacturer but different aircraft because of its design, e.g. the 707 and 727 are for me the best looking jet airliner ever build on the other hand I think the 767 is a rather boring aircraft from its look and would say it is my least favorite jet airliner currently in production. So Boeing build for me very aesthetic aircraft but also very boring ones.
I like the Airbus widebodies A300 - A340 but prefer the Boeing narrowbodies from its look as the A320 is also a very boring design. The best looking jets are for me the tr-jets Dc 10, L1011, 727, Tu154 and MD 11, I also like T-tail and rear engined aircraft much more than the now common design of rear mounted engines.
Give a 727, MD 80, Dc 9 over a 737, A320 and Embraer EJet !!
Air Berlin - gone but not forgotten

srbmod

Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:38 pm

Whatever gets me there in one piece is fine by me. I do tend to fly on Boeing products because the airlines I typically fly use them on the route I fly the most. There are airlines on the route that fly Airbus products but the flight times are never at times I wish to fly. In addition, on longer flights (over 2.5 hours) I prefer a widebody a/c and only one airline where I fly out of operates widebodies domestically out of that airport. Besides, you don't see too many A330s doing domestic runs like you do 767s.

AF340

Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:08 pm

I personally like design of the Airbus widebodies and I just think that they are a joy to fly on. I prefer the look of the 737 in comparison to the A320, but I'd rather fly on an A320 because I find them more comfortable (for some reason?). I fully admit that I am an Airbus guy and I can't really explain it all that well...

And their overhead bin design is sooo much better  Wink

Go AIRBUS!!!

Liam spin 

Stitch

Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:46 pm

I used to work for Boeing, but that doesn't really influence my views. That I was let-go in the post-9/11 culling would more likely inspire me to dislike them, you'd think.  devil 

Aesthetically, the only Airbus planes I really like are the A340 series, especially the A340-300 and A340-500. On the flip side, the only Boeing planes I really like aesthetically are the 737 and 777. And for the record, I think the 777-200 family is the most aesthetically-pleasing commercial airliner in service today.

In terms of narrowbodies, I prefer the A320 family over the 737/757, but that is based on flying UA so much. I was not overly impressed with US' A320 fleet and AS' 737NG fleet is quite nice.

In terms of widebodies, I love the 777. It is just so big inside that I don't feel like I am in a small metal tube. Yes, it's louder then the A340, but we're not talking "rock concert" vs. "empty church" here.

FWA2500

Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:38 pm

im a Douglas fan, so im not biased to either A or B....though i will never forgive Boeing for killing the 717-200 (MD-95)

LonghornDC9

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:28 pm

In the current market, I must say that I am a Boeing man. I mostly prefer them because as a wanna-be pilot, I tend to view them as more classic, pilot's planes (as compared to the Airbus sidestick, autotrimming FBW system). Also, for some reason, every time I have gotten on an A320, I've come off with a headache, and I really don't know why, however that is with the exception of a flight I had a few years ago on a Swiss International A320, that was a flight from heaven : ). So maybey it was the airlines i was flying (Frontier and AZ in particular) moreso than the 320. I also must say that good competition in the marketplace only serves to benefit the industry as a whole, and I am thankful that we have 2 great companies with great engineers that thru their competition are advancing the aerospace industry and continually providing us with amazing new products.

However, as evidenced by my username, my favorite manufacturer of all time was Douglas. Call me crazy but I love flying on DC-9's and I have fond memories of the -10's when they were flying around. Of my list of my favorite all-time aircraft, Douglas birds occupy the most spots.
Lone Star Beer and Bob Will's Music . . . . . . . .

staralliance38

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:58 pm

Airbus all the way! My airline is US Airways, the World's largest Airbus carrier  Smile

I love the A380 too
Roar, lion, roar

Gemuser

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:35 am

As a Qantas watcher of some 40 years standing I am somewhat bias to Boeing, seeing they have not operated any other make for most of that time. While I have flown every Boeing jet from the 727 to 777 and every Douglas DC from the DC2 to DC10 (except the DC5, of course, &DC7), I had never flown on an Airbus until a 2005 trip to Europe when I flew both an SK A343 and an IB A320.

But what really, really PI**ED me off was the number of posters on here who disparaged Airbus, particularly the A380, in the face of the freely available facts, especially to do with airport requirements. This apparent hate campaign left me in the unusual position of being an Airbus defender! A very strange position for me, but I dislike inaccuracy in facts even more than I am biased towards Boeing.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

columba

Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 am

Quoting FWA2500 (Reply 7):
though i will never forgive Boeing for killing the 717-200 (MD-95)

and the MD 11 even if they would only would have produced the freighter version.
Air Berlin - gone but not forgotten

TruemanQLD

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:45 am

Its a stupid question, everyone knows Boeings are crap!

Elite

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:14 pm

It's hard to take sides because sometimes you're a fan of both. I love the 747 and 777, and probably will love the 787, but I also like the A380. I don't hate any plane just because it is an Airbus, but if I had to pick I'm going Boeing  Smile

kmh1956

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 12):
Its a stupid question, everyone knows Boeings are crap!

Quoting Paddy (Thread starter):
we can discuss our differences here without having to bring out the trolls and flamethrowers.

Only 12 replies until you got your first troll....

I'm not bothered about either one, quite frankly but tend to fly Boeing more often than not simply because the airline I use to get wherever I'm going flies Boeing planes. I think I've only ever flown an Airbus once, Bermuda to Toronto, several years ago and it was as good a flight as any I've ever had on a Boeing product...
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield