grozzy
Topic Author

If You Could Rebuid Heathrow

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:35 am

Recent posts about LHR have got me wondering,,,, If you could demolish and totally rebuild the airport, what would you do? Several terminals or one big monster terminal?

8herveg

RE: If You Could Rebuid Heathrow

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:21 am

If I could get the land for where the proposed 3rd runway is to be built, I would actually build 4 full length runways in. You can just about squeeze for in if you build the southern one as far south as where T4 and the World Cargo centre are now.

I would then build 3 terminals in the centre of the 4 runways (2 runways either side of the terminals) which would be for:

Terminal 1: Skyteam & non-aligned carriers (approx 50 jetbridges)
Terminal 2: OneWorld (approx 100 jetbridges)
Terminal 3 Star Alliance & Virgin Atlantic (approx 50 jetbridges)

The Cargo centre & Maintence would also be in between the two middle runways.

I drew a little sketch but I don't know how to upload it from My Documents....if someone could help?

pitops

Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:18 pm

Can you add the picture file to you pics on here? Then add it in the message?
Ground Ops, Southwest Airlines, CMH

LHRBFSTrident

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:38 pm

monster terminal like AMS Schiphol with zones to accommodate alliances and still plenty of retail - just not slap-bang in the middle of the concourses...

PanAm747

Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:28 pm

First order of business: Do NOT, under any circumstances, let BAA anywhere NEAR the new facility!!

• Three parallel runways.

• Industrial complexes replacing homes at either end of the runways (after a safe distance, of course!!).

• Multiple parallel state-of-the-art terminals that can process pax faster than Patty or Selma at the DMV (couldn't resist that one!!) Think ATL or DEN with their efficient (if a big long to walk) but easy to navigate set-ups and an underground train connecting all the terminals.

• All domestic flights separated from international flights. Do not allow any passengers to leave the international area without a reason, such as an onward domestic ticket. Do not allow any domestic passengers into the international area.

• Taller ceilings. The air ABOVE the airport is free after all...

• A uniform luggage policy that eliminates the "stuff-all-your-bags-into-one-giant-bag-and-then-immediately-take-it-all-out-afterwards-because-this-makes-our-airport-safer" nonsense.

• Contingency plans for fog and the newest terror threats.

Doesn't sound like I want much, huh?
  • Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

8herveg

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:46 pm

Quoting PITops (Reply 2):
    Can you add the picture file to you pics on here? Then add it in the message?

The file is too big it says so no can do. Sorry.

signol

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:38 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 5):
    The file is too big it says so no can do. Sorry.

What format is it? If it's a straight scan it's likely to be a .bmp - try Save As, and save as a .jpg then upload.

signol
    Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

swiftski

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:48 am

I would have:

BA terminal (All BA flights)

VS & BD (smaller than BA) terminal

Star Alliance & Sky Team terminal

Oneworld + other terminal

Wider corridors to the public transport links

8herveg

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:38 pm

Finally managed to upload it. Thanks for the help, signol!

https://www.airliners.net/uf/view.fil...d=536918284&filename=phpA5NQFn.jpg

B747forever

Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:15 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 8):

That looks actually really good.
    Work Hard, Fly Right

8herveg

Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:35 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 9):
    That looks actually really good.

Thank you. Only a rough sketch but you get the main idea. I have done some better plans of how I would want Heathrow to look if it were re-built, but I don't have them anymore. I would LOVE to have it re-built though.

If I could sort out ALL of the London airports problems and have them re-built etc etc I would do this:

- Have a 4 runway airport (London Thames Estuary International Airport (LTE) built where Cliffe is in Kent. It would be for all low-cost and charter traffic which is currently handled at Gatwick, Stansted and Luton (I would leave the EasyJet, Ryanair and charter operations at Luton to allow them to have 2 London bases). LTE would have 3 terminals:

Terminal 1 - Scheduled low cost carriers (Air Berlin, Wizzair, Zoom etc etc)
    Terminal 2 - EasyJet & Ryanair.
    Terminal 3 - All charter traffic.

- Once it is built, I would move all the above operations to the airport which would then free up Gatwick and Stansted. I would then TEMPORARILY move ALL of the OneWorld operations to Gatwick. All SkyTeam, Star Alliance and all other full service airlines currently at Heathrow and Gatwick, would move to Stansted.

- I would then have Heathrow built as shown in the picture above, with ALL National Carriers, those which are in one of the 3 alliances, and all other full service carriers. Once built, I would move the operations to LHR and then close down Gatwick and Stansted.

In conclusion, we would have:

A new London Heathrow International Airport. 4 runways. 3 terminals handling approx. 100 million pax. p.a.

London Thames Estuary International Airport. 4 runways. 3 terminals handling approx. 50 million pax. p.a.

London Luton International Airport. 1 runway. 1 terminal handling approx. 10 million pax. p.a.

London City Airport. 1 runway. 1 terminal handling approx. 5 million pax. p.a. (I would move Aer Arann operations to LCY as well instead of moving from LTN to LTE)

Please let me know what you all think!

BAViscount

Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:40 pm

I would bulldoze the Isle of Wight and turn it into one big massive brand-spanking new mega airport, closing down LHR, LGW, STN, LTN and LCY as a result. You could probably even throw the closure of SOU and BOH into the equation too. There would be enough room for plenty of runways and enough terminals to accomodate everything from the LCC clientele to First Class to VIP. I would also have various Maglev train lines built to various points in the south east from the new mega-airport, including central London...and possibly Sutton, where I live! I may even throw in a couple of lines to France.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Isle of Wight, but I just thought this thread might be a good opportunity to get the old creative juices flowing given a blank sheet of paper (and to have a bit of fun!). No offence intended to the fine people of the Izzle of Wigit, its holiday camps (sorry, "villages") and it's lovely countryside.

If this were Dubai, we'd probably make it happen too!!

On a more serious note - like your thinking 8herveg. This sounds like something you have given a lot of serious thought to. Shame that 'LTE' has to be all the way over in Kent though! I hope you've given some thought to transport links. With the closure of LGW and STN you've left a lot of people with some fairly lengthy hikes to catch LCC and charter flights, potentially adding considerably to their costs and compromising their reasoning for flying LCC's/charters in the first place...namely keeping costs down.

This is fun!! Big grin
    Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

8herveg

Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:52 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 11):
    On a more serious note - like your thinking 8herveg. This sounds like something you have given a lot of serious thought to. Shame that 'LTE' has to be all the way over in Kent though! I hope you've given some thought to transport links. With the closure of LGW and STN you've left a lot of people with some fairly lengthy hikes to catch LCC and charter flights, potentially adding considerably to their costs and compromising their reasoning for flying LCC's/charters in the first place...namely keeping costs down.

True. I did think of that. The only reason I chose Cliffe was because I know there was a proposal to build an airport there. But yes it would have to have some sort of transport links. Obviously a fast train link to London. Perhaps a regional service to large towns in Kent....Royal Tunbridge Wells, Ashford, Maidstone, Canterbury etc. The airport would really be used for people living in London, Essex, Kent and Sussex (basically the same sort of people using Gatwick). Then I would open up more regional airports such as Cambridge and expand Norwich to cater for the people currently using Stansted.

I would also expand charter operations at Luton so they are not all based at 'LTE'.

BAViscount

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 12):
    The airport would really be used for people living in London, Essex, Kent and Sussex (basically the same sort of people using Gatwick).

OK. But don't forget those of us that live in Surrey (gotta love how I switch between Sutton being in London and Sutton being in Surrey, depending on who I'm speaking to!).  Wink

Isn't it a shame that we can never put our ideas into practice? Well, I couldn't...maybe you're on a career path that will take you into a position where you could actually do something about this.
    Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

8herveg

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:55 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 13):

Isn't it a shame that we can never put our ideas into practice? Well, I couldn't...maybe you're on a career path that will take you into a position where you could actually do something about this.

I would love a career in aviation. Not sure what area though....I'm only 20 years old! lol....any ideas?

BAViscount

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:28 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 14):
    I would love a career in aviation. Not sure what area though....I'm only 20 years old! lol....any ideas?

I would LOVE a career in aviation too, but at 41 years old and with a mortgage to pay, I really can't afford to start at the bottom again! All I would say is, if you want to get into aviation, do it now before it's too late. Seriously.

Looks like we're both in a similar position!! I did try to get IT roles with the major airlines after I left college back in the 80's, but no one was hiring except for BA, but I got a job offer with a bank at the same time, so turned down the opportunity to get onto BA's trainee programmer course. I've been kicking myself ever since.

If there's anyone reading that knows of a way into the big bad world of aviation without going in on the bottom rung, give me a shout!!! And of course 8herveg too!!

starguy

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:00 pm

OMG I would love for LHR to be rebuilt, adding extra runways and such, but can you imagine the NIMBY's they would go crazy, I suppose I would too if the government told me that they want to demolish my whole neighbourhood, schools, shops and local businesses..... lets do it, knock the whole lot down, it's a dump anyway. Brand new terminals, glass glass glass, super high ceilings, all linked by an mass transit system instead of the endless underground walkways currently in place. Lets get a maglev line from Euston/Kingscross/St Pancras too. I can just imagine it, a super hub that we can ALL be proud of, not just BA (T5)

ajd1992

Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:12 pm

If i could demolish and rebuild LHR, i'd do this:

Bomb it to the ground and just not rebuild it, it's a complete hellhole of an excuse for an airport.

kimberlyRJ

Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:40 pm

Hello

If I had my way we would have the following at EGLL (LHR) I would start all over again, allowing the terminals to be much bigger:

Terminal One = European Airlines (not BA or BMi)

Terminal Two = Long haul airlines (not BA or BMi, but airlines like VS, UA etc)

Terminal Three = British Airways, all services

Terminal Four = BMi, all services

All terminals would have high speed train services to both London and the south coast, tube connections and LHR would have four runways.

We can dream. I don’t think LHR is that bad, I prefer it to a lot of airports I fly into!

Kimberly.