Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Skydoll
Topic Author

Venice / Lake Como Or Portofino Or Croatia

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:48 pm

I'm going to Italy for the first time the second week of May and I can't decide where to go exactly. I only have a 8-9 days. I want to relax. I want to eat good food. I'll go back for sightseeing another time. I REALLY need to be where it's most beautiful. I've been dreaming about Portofino for years, but I'm having a hard time finding information on it, esp hotel info, and it seems like it might be difficult to get to, especially if I fly into Rome. Venice/Lake Como seems easier. HELP. Tell me anything and everything you know about these destinations. (Another destination choice is Croatia.) When you're done telling me everything you know, check out my blog and read all about HOW TO MAKE LOVE LIKE A PILOT... www.shouldbewriting.blogspot.com. Don't be scared.

ZBBYLW

RE: Venice / Lake Como Or Portofino Or Croatia

Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:08 pm

I absolutely LOVE Croatia. I have been there a few times already and am going back in May. Land in Dubrovnik - Spend time in Cavtat and Dubrovnik, rent a car travel north along the cost, then going to head east go to the National Parks, then head into Bosnia and end up back in DBV. Should be a great trip - I would HIGHLY suggest Croatia! I find it has the least amount of tourists in Europe - though that is unfortunately changing.

BCAL

Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:49 pm

Portofino is an absolute gem but be warned it is expensive as it is "a boutiquey stop-off point for the yachting set". Restaurants are over-priced, the harbour area is filled with designer shops, jewellers, and art galleries. It is definitely worth a day trip and you will find more information here.

If you want a taste of the real Italy, want to relax in gorgeous surroundings and saviour fine Italian cuisine, hire a car and tour Tuscany. There are so many places that it is difficult to decide which places are best. Save the main cities of Florence and Pisa when you go back for sightseeing and spend 5 days exploring the Tuscan countryside, stopping at places that appeal to you, and then head down to the Amalfi coast for real relaxation - Positano is the jewel in the crown information here

Skydoll
Topic Author

Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:10 am

BCAL - Positano is also on my list, and I'm dying to drive the Amalfi Coast, so I may take your advice. Thanks for the info. Wha is the best way to see this area? We'll drive if we have to, but i read that driving is pretty tough. Any thoughts?

Heather