aajfksjubklyn
Topic Author

I Love AA

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:36 pm

So who else loves AA and why? All I hear is the dirt and the dregs of what the airline doesn't do right. Nearly 90k employees (maybe more maybe less) worldwide- and how a few comments on this board reflect on that many employees-meaning everyone is always bad mouthing AA, employees as rude, obnoxious etc? I could probably write a 4 page novel on the woes and dregs of DL, B6, UA, and handful of others. If everyone hates AA, why do they have the strongest FF program, most loyalty, are the largest airline (as of right now), largest Gay employer world-wide, I could go on.

Here is why I like them:

1. I am platinum for the past 9 years and the benefits are pretty decent considering other airlines.
2. Out of NY I can pretty much go anywhere on AA and one-world
3. I remember them as a kid, flying them as a UM from JFK to LAX since I was 11 (there is a real nostalgic feel for me using AA to LAX).
4. Admirals clubs are a plus.
5. Their logo has never changed (more nostalgia)...aside form the the new Peeping plane as I call it...sliding in on the sides of ad's.
6. I just am accustomed to using AA, their service, and have countless nightmares flying other airlines and having great difficulty flying anywhere if a plane breaks down (aa regardless somehow gets me where I need to go because they fly all over). Try getting to a cruise ship on Spirit Airlines if a flight in cancelled.
7. In over 1.5 million miles they never lost my bag, never broke my bag, never cancelled me without providing re-accomodation on the same day even if it meant connecting through another city.

Thats it for now...thought I would spark a decent, nice convo about AA being for the most part they are treated like a bad beast of an airline, overall, on this board.

Cheers! Ciao!

pbiflyer

RE: I Love AA

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:43 pm

Quoting AAJFKSJUBKLYN (Thread starter):
for the most part they are treated like a bad beast of an airline, overall, on this board.

There are many reasons for this, but at least AA has a few fans.
PBI is South Florida's BEST airport!

richierich

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:44 pm

Dude, you must be kidding.....

Thats it for now...thought I would spark a decent, nice convo about AA being for the most part they are treated like a bad beast of an airline, overall, on this board.

Everyone thinks "their" airline gets ragged on. You get used to it!
No airline is perfect and some are far from it.

1. I am platinum for the past 9 years and the benefits are pretty decent considering other airlines.
3. I remember them as a kid, flying them as a UM from JFK to LAX since I was 11 (there is a real nostalgic feel for me using AA to LAX).
5. Their logo has never changed (more nostalgia)...aside form the the new Peeping plane as I call it...sliding in on the sides of ad's.
6. I just am accustomed to using AA, their service, and have countless nightmares flying other airlines and having great difficulty flying anywhere if a plane breaks down (aa regardless somehow gets me where I need to go because they fly all over). Try getting to a cruise ship on Spirit Airlines if a flight in cancelled.
7. In over 1.5 million miles they never lost my bag, never broke my bag, never cancelled me without providing re-accomodation on the same day even if it meant connecting through another city.

I sense 7 rebuttals coming fast and right at you...! Buckle up...!
None shall pass!!!!

NASBWI

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:47 pm

Considering your long-term relationship with AA, it doesn't strike me as surprising that they're your favorite. If I were in your position, I'd probably say the same.  wink 

Case closed. Here's the thing: AA is one of the largest airlines in the world, in terms of passengers carried, fleet size, coverage, etc. Along with their OneWorld Alliance partners, it sounds like a no-brainer. However, your travel needs are very different than those of countless other passengers both domestically and abroad.

I'm not one to rip on other airlines, and I think it's novel that you favor AA, but then again, to each his or her own. I'm sure there are many that can say almost the same (or something similar) about UA, DL, CO, US, NW, NK, WN, B6, and the list goes on. It all depends on your perspective. Many travellers have little or no desire to have worldwide connections when their primary travel route is, say, JFK-BTV.

When it comes to those who do rip on AA, it kinda ties in to your statement about the 90,000-plus employees and my statement the sheer size of their operation. That gives a lot more room for complaints, being that they are in more positions to be complimented or criticized. See what I mean? Don't take it too personally about those who do complain; for every one of them, I'd be willing to bet that there are 100 more that share your sentiments.  wink 

Cheers,
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

aa1818

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:48 pm

I've always maintained a preference for AA over the past 5 years. I was Gold for 4 years and made Platinum last year. I've never been dissappointed. The service, while not 5* is certainly more than acceptable and is very pleasant. AA has the friendliest flight attendants over any airline I've flown (QF, BA, CO, BW, IB, OS) and a very customer oriented FF Program.

They've left a few of my bags over the years and have been slightly delayed etc, but have always been apologetic and have ALWAYS compensated me for my loss!

I have never met a rude AA F/A and I do about 20 flights a year on AA (about 12 short/medium haul and 8 long haul).

Cheers for this thread! Time to give credit where credit is due!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

YULYMX

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:48 pm

i like AA but the only time airlines Broke my Driver (Golf) it was from YUL to MIA...
AA good out of YUL... flight to MIA, ORD, JFK, LGA, few yr back they had the YUL-ORD-LAX-HNL on DC-10 and started not for long a YUL-SJU services...

LAXintl

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:49 pm

If you love AA so much suggest you get out and try other airlines a bit more.

While AA is not terrible in my book (as PlatExec), besides a good network I would not even come close to stating I "love" them by any means. For the masses in the back of the bus, I would say AA is rather subpar compared to many US competitors, while their premium products (incl new seat) are not much to write home about especially compared to many foreign carrier offerings.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

charlipr

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:53 pm

I was born and raised flying AA out of SJU, but after I moved to the States I found out that the grass is greener on the other side....My biggest complaint about AA is there flight attendants. NO, not there age, but there attitude. They treat you like it is a privilege to be on that seat and not a right as a fare paying passenger.

AA737-823

are the largest airline (as of right now)

Uh, maybe because they made nice promises, absorbed TWA (thus answering your largest airline question), failed to merge seniority lists, and subsequently laid off ALL TWA flight attendants and pilots (thus answering your 'why does everybody hate them' question)???

Yep, that's a start.

To continue, they screwed me over two different times, in ways that I consider classless and useless. If, indeed, they were 'just following the rules', then proper common sense and good customer service would at least have dictated an apology for making me promises they couldn't keep. But that's a long story that I don't have the time or emotional energy (still sitting at my computer due to being sick!) to go into right now.

I am originally from Irving, so DFW is homebase, and my father used to work for AA. Oh, did I mention how they didn't take care of HIM, either? As an employee?
Choices are limited when flying out of DFW.
My choice is now Continental. Are they perfect? No, but I have had wonderful experiences dealing with them and their customer service. They fly newer, more efficient airplanes, keep those airplanes in better shape, and provide me free food.
Did I mention free food? Yeah, American has free food, except that they make you pay for it.

I am glad you're platinum. I'm Elite with Continental myself, though not plat.
I always felt like cattle on AA, and Continental doesn't USUALLY make me feel that way.

Growing up in DFW area, I know lots of people that work for AA, and I wish them all the very best. I wish NO HARM on any of their employees, at all. But the company itself is very aggravating.

(there is a real nostalgic feel for me using AA to LAX).

Indeed. Dad and I used to non-rev across the country, when he had flight bennies. Sadly, that nostalgia is gone when I fly them these days. "Would you like a pair of pilot wings, little boy?" Has turned into, "Sir, it's against federal code for you to stand in the galley, please return to your seat immediately." It's hard to get the warm fuzzies after that, regardless of the company in question.

In over 1.5 million miles they never lost my bag, never broke my bag, never cancelled me without providing re-accomodation on the same day even if it meant connecting through another city.

Nice. I have never had a lost bag on any carrier, so I can't badmouth anyone here. And AA did take care of me the one time they cancelled a flight. Except the other time, when they left me stranded for 4+ hours. Out of home base. With plenty of other aircraft on hardstand. But, now that I'm in the airline industry as a career, I know that sometimes those things happen, and there's a reason things don't work out (using a spare aircraft, for example) the way I want them to. So I don't hold stuff like that against them.

Having typed all this, I think the reason that I don't care for AA can be summed up by saying that they're not what I remember, and they never treat me very well. Does that answer your question fairly enough?

Arniepie

AA still carries a fantastic livery on all their planes even if its a bit old.
Most other carriers seem to be going for that nasty Euro-white these days so I've got to applaud AA for that one.

As a people carrier they don't make a better (or worse) impression than most of the other ones, you pay, they give you a ticket, you park your ass for X-amount of hours in a cramped seat, they take you wherever you needed to go, that's it.
[edit post]

aajfksjubklyn
Topic Author

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:55 pm

I thought this would spark some fun stuff...but needless to say..its gone the same old way. Case closed...cheers off for vacation for a week.

I do travel other airlines, including British, Iberia, Delta, B6, UA, Quantas etc. No need to suggest. Its NOT that I love AA that much, I was asking what other people felt IN A GOOD WAY...........as I showed an example in my list.

Anyway..I should have known better.

PanAm747

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Actually, I'm glad you enjoy AA!! I hope that both you and AA are finding your relationship to be mutually profitable. Most FF's (like most people in general) b**** that they don't get upgraded whenever they want - among LOTS of other things.

The world needs more flyers who understand the ins & outs and ups & downs of airlines and don't take it out on those struggling to keep the airline running. I'm not a frequent flyer by any stretch of the imagination, but I do try and go out of my way to feel like a guest and be respectful to the employees. In return, I can safely say that while nothing is always perfect, I have never gotten angry, upset, or acted embarrassingly stupid, and all of my flights have had happy endings. I hope this is your philosophy in travelling as well.

Continued happy flying to you!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

LAXdude1023

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:57 pm

I love AA too. The primary reason is that they fly where I need them too, not because of service or anything like that. I fly LAX-DFW (this one the most), LAX-HKG (on CX), and LAX-NRT frequently. Im loyal to AA because out of LAX they fly where I need to go the most. There are a couple of other things. I find their staff is much friendlier at LAX than UA's. I used to be primier with UA, but the combination of UA downsizing LAX-DFW to RJ's and UA's seemingly rude staff at LAX made me make the switch to AA.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

richierich

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:58 pm

Quoting AAJFKSJUBKLYN (Reply 10):
I thought this would spark some fun stuff...but needless to say..its gone the same old way. Case closed...cheers off for vacation for a week.

I do travel other airlines, including British, Iberia, Delta, B6, UA, Quantas etc. No need to suggest. Its NOT that I love AA that much, I was asking what other people felt IN A GOOD WAY...........as I showed an example in my list.

Anyway..I should have known better.

What can we learn from this lesson? Not that AA is good or bad, but that people get emotional about airlines. Maybe they have a vested interest in one airline or another, maybe a bad experience or two has jaded them, whatever it is you managed to spark it up with a thread titled "I Love AA". With the good will come the bad - suck it up and be prepared to take it all in stride. Let it roll off your back!

With that said, enjoy your vacation....
None shall pass!!!!

bok269

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:59 pm

In over 1.5 million miles they never lost my bag, never broke my bag, never cancelled me without providing re-accomodation on the same day even if it meant connecting through another city.

I wish I could say the same....

The new T8 is nice though.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

flymia

Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:00 pm

Living my whole life in Miami AA has been an obvious favourite airline for me. They are not the best airline in the world but they are far from the worst. I always find that there is more legroom in AA planes than other airlines. I fly them once a month between MIA and DCA I have access to admirals club. They are obviously just the most convenient airline to use out of MIA since they have a large hub there. I am sure if UA or DL had a hub in MIA they would be my favourite too.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

AirTranTUS

Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:17 pm

How so? They have introduced the same program to charge more miles for anytime tickets as every other major.

You can with SkyTeam and Star too. The thing about Star though is that they make you connect through a partner's hub, while on oneWorld and Sky, the US based airlines actually serve many smaller destinations themselves (especially Sky).

Moot point.

Compared to..?

Doesn't matter.

Any airline will reaccomodate you (providing it is not a ULCC like Spirit). Last time I checked, DL, CO, and UA flew all over as well.

You must not travel during the summer with full flights and bad weather. Or you have given them enough of your money that they take care of you. Any airline will do that if you give them enough.

largest Gay employer world-wide

Do people actually use that in the choice of who to fly? People chose an airline for price, service, and schedule. Show one person who won't fly airline XYZ because they don't have enough minority F/A's of gay people.

Congratulations, you love AA. Most of your arguments could be adapted to any other airline. Whoop-de-doo!  Yeah sure
I love ASO!

exFATboy

Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 16):
Do people actually use that in the choice of who to fly? People chose an airline for price, service, and schedule. Show one person who won't fly airline XYZ because they don't have enough minority F/A's of gay people.

Ah, but if service, price, and schedule are broadly comparable, many gay travelers will use gay-friendly policies as a "tiebreaker". And some people prefer to do business or not to do business with certain companies because of such policies. For example, I personally won't eat at Chik-Fil-A because of their corporate management's tolerance of local managers discriminating based on participation in "voluntary" religious activities, and I won't eat at Cracker Barrel because of their history of racial and orientation discrimination.

As for AA, I have no strong feelings one way or the other - I've had good experiences and...well, not so good. IMO, Continental offers a better product and usually better prices, too. I'd rank AA as my #2 legacy behind CO, and overall would put them behind B6 for domestic travel as well.

I will say that in my experience AA has always been quite good at reaccommodating me when weather has disrupted operations.

RedTailDTW

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Nice to know that you love AA AAJFKSJUBKLYN, but I am not sure if it was a wise decision to make a whole thread about it because there are wlot of people who would object to that.

I Love NW, but I don't think it is a good idea to make a thread out of it because of the amount of people that would critisize your likings for a certain carrier.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 15):
I am sure if UA or DL had a hub in MIA they would be my favourite too.

I have always wondered if that is the only reason I like NW, because DTW is my favorite airport and I absolutely love their Hub there. But of course, If someone like AA or CO had a hub there I still wouldn't like them becuase NW is DTW, DTW I think is nothing without NW. Just my opinion.

Mason (RedTailDTW)
Airlines Flown: 9E, AA, B6, CO, DL, G7, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, CRJ-200/900, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

LAXdude1023

Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:58 pm

Quoting RedTailDTW (Reply 18):
Nice to know that you love AA AAJFKSJUBKLYN, but I am not sure if it was a wise decision to make a whole thread about it because there are wlot of people who would object to that.

But why would anyone object to someone haveing a favorite airline?

JetBlueAUS

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:30 am

I flew AA back in July and I have to say, I was very impressed.  Smile
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

RedTailDTW

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:47 am

LAXdude 1023,

I was talking about how some people like to make lots of remarks about how their airline is better than yours and how creating a thread about your favorite carrier is a target for critisism.

Mason
Airlines Flown: 9E, AA, B6, CO, DL, G7, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, CRJ-200/900, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

LAXdude1023

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:12 am

Quoting RedTailDTW (Reply 21):
I was talking about how some people like to make lots of remarks about how their airline is better than yours and how creating a thread about your favorite carrier is a target for critisism.

Ahh, yes that would make them a target.

For me, my favorite airline will be the one that goes where I need them too. For me thats AA. If DL or NW or US flew where I needed them to, they would be my favorite.

atrude777

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:25 am

Quoting NASBWI (Reply 3):
Case closed. Here's the thing: AA is one of the largest airlines in the world, in terms of passengers carried,

are the largest airline (as of right now)

I love AA too and fly them immensly when possible, except..

They are not the worlds largest airline, passenger carried, that goes to Southwest Airlines in the thousands.

1 Southwest Airlines 101,911
2 American Airlines 98,162

This is for 2007, source IATA

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

ebs757

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:15 am

I love AA. Their employees are always great, professional etc, at least when I fly them. I haven't had a flight crew that I can say they where not down to earth and personal with the passengers
Viva la Vida

a380us

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:40 am

Same exact reason here
it's just the easiest airline out of here(for me at least)
www.JandACosmetics.com

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:58 am

First of all, Thank You for your business and dedication to AA. As an AA front-line employee I always appreciate passengers who have kind things to say about AA as I do take great pride in AA and I take pride in for this airline. I realize, AA is not perfect, and I must appologize for any of my 90,000 fellow employees who are not '100% customer service oriented, but overall I think we're a good bunch.

TrijetsRMissed

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:49 am

Living in Chicago, the one thing I like about AA is their ORD hub. I have taken AA many times to destinations where UA does not offer non-stop service, such as TUS. Also, being a fan of the MD's, I think it's cool to see a terminal full of S80's that vary greatly in age. Plus no 737's in sight, nice.

What I don't like about AA is the lack of service. I know free food and blanket/pillows have gone by the wayside on many flights and that just how it is these days. But the rudeness to simple questions or small talk is uncalled for. This includes, flight attendants, pilots, gate agents, etc. I have flown NW and DL in the last year and the crews were friendly.

In short, in my experiences, flying on AA in the 90's was a good time. Nowadays, not so good.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.