Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

signol
Topic Author

Baggage Wrapping

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:00 pm

How do you secure your luggage when checking them in? Straps, locks, industrial-strength cling film?

I usually have a rucksack or case, and never put anything valuable in it. Usually just clothes and maybe bottles of local plonk! So, for most destinations, I won't bother (esp in case Customs want to look). However, South African relatives have said that for any use of an SA airport, the bag should be wrapped in film. I've done this in a home-made fashon, normal clingfilm with clear tape to hold it in place. More for appearences than anything, so it will be obvious if tampered with.
For short trips, I tend to travel with hand baggage only!

So, how do you secure your baggage?

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

wilco737

RE: Baggage Wrapping

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:40 pm

I have never done this wrapping and will never do! What a mess to unpack it later again! Will take forever!

I just use the included lock on my suitcase! Its one of those TSA locks! Not everybody can open it, but the TSA can! So they can check for it if needed, but nobody else!

And that should be enough!

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

burnsie28

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:55 pm

In Denver they have this service, its like a machine that wraps your bag a ton around plastic wrap.

PlunaCRJ

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:07 pm

In Montevideo we have this service, and I always take it as I feel my baggage is safer with it.
At EZE, the baggage wrapping company will even give you a Guarantee over baggage loss/rupture, etc...

I think that for people like me, that get really nervous on the baggage conveyor belt once at destination thinking if my bag actually made it or not, it´s really good.

I´ve heard that passengers travelling to the US aren´t allowed to wrap their bags for security reasons. Not sure on that one.

burnsie28

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:41 pm

Quoting PlunaCRJ (Reply 3):
I´ve heard that passengers travelling to the US aren´t allowed to wrap their bags for security reasons. Not sure on that one.

I don't think thats true, because im pretty sure that it was denver that i saw the wrapping going on.

andz

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:07 pm

Quoting Signol (Thread starter):
South African relatives have said that for any use of an SA airport, the bag should be wrapped in film

Never done it, never had a bag damaged or broken into, never had anything stolen. It is another money making racket.

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 1):
I have never done this wrapping and will never do!

LH specifically disallow it out of JNB
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

bond007

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:25 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 5):
Never done it, never had a bag damaged or broken into, never had anything stolen.

Me neither. But regardless, you shouldn't be checking in suitcases or bags that aren't of the quality to withstand being thrown in holds and on carousels by ramp employees that mostly don't care.

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 4):
because im pretty sure that it was denver that i saw the wrapping going on.

Yes, a company called ISW (international Security Wrap) is starting this at DEN. Trouble is that the TSA still require access to open all/any bags, and although ISW says they will re-wrap if the TSA needs to open the bag, I'm not sure how this can be done after the bag has cleared security.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Erhard

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:09 pm

Have not used warpping, I use serial numbered plastic ties, especially made for luggage, you can buy them at most airports or via the Internet.
I record the numbers on the ties used on my luggage and it is very easy to see of the luggage has been tampered with, you can use multiple ties per luggage piece, that is each zipper etc., so far it has worked great for me.
It's more a piece of mind than anything else, if the ties are missing when you collect your luggage, you can notify the authorities straight away!

Vasu

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:10 pm

I always find it really funny watching a bag spinning round in one of those wrapping machines... dunno, it just looks really silly!

NWADC9

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:14 pm

Never seen it, never did it.
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

PlunaCRJ

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:28 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 6):
Yes, a company called ISW (international Security Wrap) is starting this at DEN. Trouble is that the TSA still require access to open all/any bags, and although ISW says they will re-wrap if the TSA needs to open the bag, I'm not sure how this can be done after the bag has cleared security.

That´s the reason then. I know that here in Latin America the wrappers will ask you your final destination, and if it is the US (or connecting at the US) they won´t wrap your bag.

Quoting Andz (Reply 5):
LH specifically disallow it out of JNB

Why just out of JNB?

[Edited 2008-03-04 14:29:03]

andz

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:02 am

Quoting PlunaCRJ (Reply 10):
Why just out of JNB?

What I meant was, at JNB at the wrapping point it says that LH don't allow it. I didn't mean to imply that this is isolated to JNB.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

NG1Fan

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:29 am

In my 13 years of traveling for work, I've never locked my luggage or bothered to wrap it. And save for a pocket knife going missing (last-minute addition to the luggage, so really easily accessible), that's as bad as it got (touch wood). One exception: in DEL, they make you put on a single-use plastic tie (try getting that off with the blunt knife in your hotel room!

Given that SVO was my 'home' airport for some nine years, maybe I was just lucky. Or did my Louis Vuitton luggage put them off?

And so far, every piece of luggage that I've checked in has shown up sooner or later (at most two days). Again, touch wood!

NG1Fan

united319

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:39 pm

I hate seeing bags wrapped like that when I work the ramp. They are so difficult to move around. And they are usually 70lbs already because it is people coming from other countries. I can see the reason as to why they wrap luggage, it is still a huge pain in the A** to handle.
It's Time To Fly

PlunaCRJ

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:47 pm

Now, usually bag wrappers leave handles/wheels, etc... out of the wrap itself. Maybe the difficult to handle wrapped bags don´t have the handles free of the wrapping material.

bond007

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:31 am

Quoting NG1Fan (Reply 12):
In my 13 years of traveling for work, I've never locked my luggage or bothered to wrap it. And save for a pocket knife going missing (last-minute addition to the luggage, so really easily accessible), that's as bad as it got (touch wood). One exception: in DEL, they make you put on a single-use plastic tie (try getting that off with the blunt knife in your hotel room!

Given that SVO was my 'home' airport for some nine years, maybe I was just lucky. Or did my Louis Vuitton luggage put them off?

And so far, every piece of luggage that I've checked in has shown up sooner or later (at most two days). Again, touch wood!

Yeah, same with me. Right now, 4 legs/week. In almost 20 years of flying almost every week, I've never lost anything, and I've had 4 bags in that time not arrive ... but shipped next day. 2 weeks ago at JFK was one of them ... got delivered to hotel 6hrs later though!

I'll touch wood with you  Smile

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!