Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

crownvic
Topic Author

Manila Airport Hotels

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:56 am

It has been awhile since this was last discussed, so I thought I would bring it up again. We all know that the hotel situation around MNL is quite deplorable, so I was wondering if anything has changed in the past year. I'm arriving fairly late in the evening on the NRT NWA flight. I have an afternoon connection down to Zamboanga, so I prefer to stay as close to the airport as possible, in order to avoid Manila's "wonderful" road traffic. I have read to avoid the Manila Airport Hotel at all costs, so that is not an option. Makati City is expensive and can be a traffic hassle, so my question is, are there any other hotels, preferably on the West side of the airport (coastal area) or closer that you can recommend? It does not have to be anything fancy; just decent...Thank you!

terminalc

RE: Manila Airport Hotels

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:43 pm

It's not improved at all. I still often stay at the airport hotel. It's just too convenient: it takes 2 minutes to walk to it & I can tolerate a dump for a night. I do think it's improved a bit in the past year, but it's still a dump. It does have the KFC & convenience store.

There was a Hyatt a couple of miles away, but it's closed. I've stayed at the Atrium a few times. It's not much futher down Roxas & is clean & cheap.

MAYBE if T3 EVER opens, there'll be some improvement.

yegbey01

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:06 pm

If you are arriving late in the evening...then its not too bad to go to Makati...maybe 20 minutes!!!

You can sometimes get gooddeals at the Mandain Oriental...I have even stayed at the Peninsula for 100 USD a night

flysherwood

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:05 pm

If you want a really good night's sleep and a great place to have a drink that night and a good breakfast in the morning, then the Manila Peninsula is the way to go. Arriving from NRT on NWA will put you into MNL at a time that will take you 15-20 minutes by taxi to the Manila Pen.

crownvic
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:41 am

Thank you all for your responses...TerminalC....I was not familiar with the Atrium, so I will check into this property. I have found their web site, so this maybe the answer....

Yegbey01...That evening, I agree, the traffic is not bad to Makati, but is the next morning I just do not want to deal with. I unfortunately, have no patience for Manila!

Flysherwood...I have stayed at the Peninsula already. Being in the coastal area, that was going to be my alternate, if I could not find something closer...

copter808

Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:26 am

Try checking hotels through asiatravel.com. I recently stayed at the Best Western in Makati--about $55-60 US. I have dealt with Asiatravel for several years and have always been treated well. I have a friend who swears by the Atrium and they can also be booked through Asiatravel.

Wolborsk

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:41 am

I don't know if it's open at night, but there's a pretty nice airport lounge that can be accessed for something like 20 USD per person. It's got beds, free food, and a living area. Pretty nice.

crownvic
Topic Author

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:47 am

Thank you all, for your suggestions...The funny thing is, if you go to Trip Advisor, the reviews are ALL OVER THE PLACE! For instance, somebody put up photos of the Atrium that would scare off any potential visitor. Then there were reviews that said it was the greatest value out there. I stayed at the Manila Hotel last year and was expecting some paradise. The entrance and lobby area were most impressive, but the rooms? For $150.00/night, I was most disappointed. Although the size was nice, everything else about the room was completely outdated and tired. More than likely, I will never stay there again, especially considering that the regular rate for on-line booking is $250.00/night!

vincewy

Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:19 pm

Out of curiosity, from US to Philippines, many Filipinos tend to choose NW over PR, any reason over this? At my current job, my Filipino colleagues all fly with NW when going home instead of PR.

Devilfish

Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:03 am

Quoting Vincewy (Reply 8):
Out of curiosity, from US to Philippines, many Filipinos tend to choose NW over PR, any reason over this?

It's cheaper.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

airlineaddict

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:25 am

How about the Sofitel Philippine Plaza which used to be the Westin? I've seen some travel shows on it but have not had any first hand accounts of stays there.

The Manila Diamond hotel might be good too...