Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

andz
Topic Author

JNB-YVR... Via Europe, UK Or USA?

Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:51 pm

My parents are planning a trip to Vancouver to visit family. They qualify for family ID tickets on SAA but not ZED or rebates on other Star carriers, so they have to pay for the leg between the SAA destination and YVR.

So, given the choice of IAD, JFK, LHR or FRA and on to YVR, which makes most sense from an economics and travel time perspective? If I look at the 4 options on Great Circle Mapper there is a 134 mile difference between shortest and longest so that isn't really relevant.

JGPH1A

RE: JNB-YVR... Via Europe, UK Or USA?

Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:02 pm

IAD makes more sense, or JFK - NYC has more travel choices to YVR, and gets them the furthest on their ID90's. How difficult is it to get on a JNB-JFK on standby these days ?

sebring

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:14 pm

Quoting Andz (Thread starter):
My parents are planning a trip to Vancouver to visit family. They qualify for family ID tickets on SAA but not ZED or rebates on other Star carriers, so they have to pay for the leg between the SAA destination and YVR.

So, given the choice of IAD, JFK, LHR or FRA and on to YVR, which makes most sense from an economics and travel time perspective? If I look at the 4 options on Great Circle Mapper there is a 134 mile difference between shortest and longest so that isn't really relevant.

Fly to London on SAA and then connect at LHR or LGW on a nonstop flight to YVR. AC and BA have a fair bit of capacity on LHR-YVR, especially in the summer, and with the additional charters, there is a lot of price competition. Worst case scenario, they should investigate AC from LHR via YUL or YYZ, continuing on to YVR. The LHR-YYZ route in particular is very competitive, and they could get a cheaper fare with an LHR-YYZ-YVR routing.

dennys

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:16 pm

SAA should better take the A345 s from TAM ( as soon as TAM receives their 77W ) to fly JNB-CANADA .

dennys.

Olympus69

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:34 pm

I don't know why you say that. I thought you were only concerned with the non-SAA part of the trip. JFK-YVR is nearly 2300 miles shorter than LHR-YVR, as one example. That surely would make more sense from an economic point of view.

wilco737

Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:52 pm

What a question: Go via FRA and then continue on LH! There is no better way to fly Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

andz
Topic Author

Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:53 pm

Quoting Olympus69 (Reply 4):
I don't know why you say that. I thought you were only concerned with the non-SAA part of the trip. JFK-YVR is nearly 2300 miles shorter than LHR-YVR, as one example. That surely would make more sense from an economic point of view.

Good point....

Ansett767

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:13 pm

IAD to YVR end of April:
$538

From NYC: they can even take Cathay Pacific for $494! Not bad - but not sure if the connection works - they staying over in NYC?

From LHR its more:
$over 1000

Are they paying 100% of airfare from SAA destination to YVR?

andz
Topic Author

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:49 pm

Quoting Ansett767 (Reply 7):
Are they paying 100% of airfare from SAA destination to YVR?

Yes, no rebates applicable from the SAA destination to YVR.

Quoting Ansett767 (Reply 7):
they staying over in NYC?

No

Ansett767

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:31 pm

Ok I see the JNB flights get into IAD and JFK around 6am and 7am respectively.

Then form JFK to YVR theres only a United operated by AC non stop at 720am which they wouldnt make so it means a transit which after an 18 hour flight IM sure they wouldnt want?

From IAD theres only 1 stop flights - all about 8 hours in total. Meaning 18 hours, plus 2 -3 hours in JFK or IAD plus then 8 hours = at best 28 hours.

If going via LHR the flight gets in at 6.25 or 6.55
The connection would be good, being able ot leave LHR at 10.05 on AC direct flight for 10 hours = 11h, plus transit 3, plus 10 =24 hours.

I would never have guessed it was quicker via LHR!

But this would cost aorund $1000

I just used random dates in early April by the way. Hope this helps - how have you gone with the search?
(P.s. cming back may be a prob as from memory most flights form YVR get into LHR in the morning and SAA leaves in the evening)

andz
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:02 am

Quoting Ansett767 (Reply 9):
I would never have guessed it was quicker via LHR!

I remember when I went to LAX several years ago I did the same exercise and flew via LHR because of the shorter total time.

Thanks for the info.

Quoting Ansett767 (Reply 9):
(P.s. coming back may be a prob as from memory most flights form YVR get into LHR in the morning and SAA leaves in the evening)

That wouldn't bother my folks, my sister and her family live 20 min from LHR  Smile

Ansett767

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:14 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 10):
That wouldn't bother my folks, my sister and her family live 20 min from LHR Smile

hehe around the Richmond to Wimbledon area, right?  Wink

signol

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:34 pm

Quoting Ansett767 (Reply 11):
hehe around the Richmond to Wimbledon area, right?

They're South African of course they'll probably live in the Biltong Belt!

signol

andz
Topic Author

Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:38 pm

Quoting Signol (Reply 12):
They're South African of course they'll probably live in the Biltong Belt!

er, no, she is from Dumfries he is from Glasgow, and they live in Maidenhead  Smile

PanAm747

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:28 pm

Keep in mind, though, all the associated situations with transferring:

• If your family is travelling via LHR, make sure its AFTER T5 has opened and gotten the kinks out...this is NOT a place to send the uninitiated.

• Transitting the U.S. is an ever-increasingly egregious process. Why anyone would subject themselves to the process voluntarily, I don't know. However, I don't think there are a large number of international arrivals on the American east coast in the early morning hours, so it might be a less-than-painful process.

Please post a trip report - we'd like to know how the process went!!
  •  
    andz
    Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:24 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 14):
    this is NOT a place to send the uninitiated.

My parents (and I) have been travelling through LHR since 1971 so we all know our way around!  Wink

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 14):
    Transitting the U.S. is an ever-increasingly egregious process. Why anyone would subject themselves to the process voluntarily, I don't know.

I have read some of the horrors here. Unfortunately this is going to be a decision based on economics. Personally I would go the LHR route, I qualify for ZED and Star rebates (they don't) so I would avoid the US.

PanAm747

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:03 pm

Quote:
    My parents (and I) have been travelling through LHR since 1971 so we all know our way around!

Can you imagine the uninitiated's impressions of trying to change planes or terminals at that mess?  eyepopping   banghead