Delta777Jet
Topic Author

Worst Transatlantic Airline Breakfast

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:25 am

Who has the worst Breakfast on Transatlantic Flights?

My vote goes to US AIRWAYS - Just flew them CLT - FRA and the only thing we got was a tiny tiny Buttermilk bar (awful) ! Is that what they call Breakfast service!
717/722/732/733/735/736/73G/739/739/741/742/743/744/748/74L/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/77L/788/789/781/DC10/L10/L15/M80/M90/320/321/319/AB6/312/313/332/333/342/343/346/359/388/T54/IL18/AT4/AT7/DH1/DH3/DH4/E145/170/1790/Bae146/RJ85/F50/F70/100/CR2/CR7/CR9

LHRBFSTrident

RE: Worst Transatlantic Airline Breakfast

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:58 pm

DL and CO both think that a croissant and a yoghurt is enough for brekkie on tatl routes - which means you're starving by the time you get to baggage claim and have to eat again.

I miss the days of eggs and sausage - breakfast should be route specific - if the continentals like a crunchy croissant and yoghurt, let them have it; but on UK routes let's have our proper cooked breakfast!

Quoting Delta777Jet (Thread starter):
Buttermilk bar (awful) ! Is that what they call Breakfast service!

yuck!

OA260

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:59 pm

Quoting LHRBFSTrident (Reply 1):
I miss the days of eggs and sausage - breakfast should be route specific - if the continentals like a crunchy croissant and yoghurt, let them have it; but on UK routes let's have our proper cooked breakfast!

thumbsup   thumbsup  Totally agree. The worst I have had have been most US carriers and EI .

EI787

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:40 pm

Haha......I was on an EI flight from JFK to DUB. They announced that breakfast would be served - when handed out, it consisted of a carton of orange juice. THAT was 'breakfast'!!!!

retrolivery

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:48 pm

My vote goes to AI on JFK-LHR: a 4 inch long Marmalade Croissant from a cellophane wrapper, similar to what I could buy a 10 pack of at the grocery for 2 EUR. Gross. They even had the audacity to present it on a tray that was 4 times bigger than the package!

[Edited 2008-03-11 15:48:35]
A3, AA, AC, AI, AK, AM, AP, AZ, B6, BA, CO, DL, EK, EY, FL, FI, FR, KL, KM, LH, MA, MH, MS, OA, OK, OS, SR, TA, TG, U2,

LHRBFSTrident

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:52 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 3):
EI flight from JFK to DUB. They announced that breakfast would be served - when handed out, it consisted of a carton of orange juice.

HOWEVER - not to hijack this thread - but EI have to be commended for their daylight westbound service DUB-LAX which features 3 (three) meal services....

I couldn't believe it (ok, admittedly the second is 'just' a scone and afternoon tea) but that combined with EI-DUO made it an almost perfect flight...

veryhappy 

B747forever

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:15 am

Have only flown with BA and LH over the pond, and so my vote go for LH.
Work Hard, Fly Right

OA260

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:09 pm

Quoting LHRBFSTrident (Reply 5):
HOWEVER - not to hijack this thread - but EI have to be commended for their daylight westbound service DUB-LAX which features 3 (three) meal services....

Jesus ....they must have really upgraded it since my DUB-LAX !!

grozzy

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:12 am

Has anyone had a decent hot breakfast in economy? The few Ive had were forgetable.

fxramper

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:17 am

Who has the worst Breakfast on Transatlantic Flights?

Used AA 60+ times US - Europe. All food service, regardless of fare, sucks.

twocents 

EISHN

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:01 pm

Quoting LHRBFSTrident (Reply 5):

I couldn't believe it (ok, admittedly the second is 'just' a scone and afternoon tea) but that combined with EI-DUO made it an almost perfect flight...

I had a very similar experience (was on DUO as well), but we only got Dinner, and breakfast, nothing for several hours in between.

The breakfast was good though, juice, tea/coffee, fresh fruit, yoghurt, and a pastry.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

LHRBFSTrident

Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:08 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 10):
Dinner, and breakfast

I was on EI-DAA Eastbound and there were only 2 meals services (I'm assuming you're talking of an Eastbound service as you mention breakfast, which is served prior to arrival in DUB in the a.m.)

Westbound on DUO was a 3-meal service, although the second meal was a sandwich and a scone with tea/coffee (more like afternoon tea, really - or was it a scone and a yoghurt?!) but definitely a separate tray set-up and delivered exactly halfway into the flight.

3 meals and AVOD - what a treat!

oh - and this was October 2007, so it may have changed by now...

kimberlyRJ

Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Hello

I would have to say either United Airlines or Virgin Atlantic, both airlines seem to skip on breakfast and it’s something that’s thrown at you about 30 minutes before landing.

For Business class breakfast, I would say the worst has to be Air India – YUK!

Kimberly.

djb77

Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:23 am

Has to be US Airways. I flew them three times late-2003 and 2004 FRA<>PHL and every time, we got these hideous buttermilk things. Absolutely fowl. I think the crew were embarassed handing them out. Dinner was bad enough but breakfast - I still shudder now thinking about it...

Flying Air China next week FRA>PVG. I will be interested to see what they offer...

CRJ900

Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:07 pm

I was disappointed with AC's breakfast on YYZ-FRA in January. OJ, a dry muffin and a small bag of apple slices. No coffee/tea as the potable water was dirty...  Sad

But the A333 was really great and the dinner quite tasty  Smile
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

MSYtristar

Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:34 pm

The worst I've had, personally, would be AA....just a simple croissant and about six grapes....but that still seems better than the US buttermilk bar...I have seen that before in trip reports, and it looks pretty bad. I guess they serve that on all European routes, even the longer ones to Athens, Rome, etc.

The best breakfast I've ever had on a transatlantic fliight was actually UA in '06 from IAD to FRA...we got...drumroll please...a croissant (warm), yogurt, AND some fruit.

Avianca

Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:16 am

Just flew them CLT - FRA and the only thing we got was a tiny tiny Buttermilk bar (awful) ! Is that what they call Breakfast service!

well it seems the NW or US breakfast on business on transatl flights arent much better... normally some fruits a crossaint and thats it, really a shame!
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Doona

Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:25 pm

Quoting Grozzy (Reply 8):
Has anyone had a decent hot breakfast in economy? The few Ive had were forgetable.

Breakfast on KE can be pretty good, as long as you stay away from the "Korean" option, which is rice porridge. Cold rice porridge. However, both the sausage and omelette I got on the LHR-ICN leg (one of my travelling companions chose the porridge - awful), and the Japanese breakfast I got ten weeks later flying NGO-ICN were excellent. Kudos to KE.

Worst has to be TW, back in the day. Sure, they sprang for an omelette, but it was like eating an egg-flavoured condom. Luckliy, flying UM as I did back then, an F/A noticed my reaction and brought me an assortment of what the business class passengers were offered.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

ACDC8

Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:23 am

Quoting Grozzy (Reply 8):
Has anyone had a decent hot breakfast in economy?

I've had lots of great breakfasts in Y on my Trans-Atlantic runs, usually on AC, BA, KL and LH.

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 14):
I was disappointed with AC's breakfast on YYZ-FRA in January. OJ, a dry muffin and a small bag of apple slices. No coffee/tea as the potable water was dirty...

I wonder if that has anything to do with which flight? I was on AC876 in February and we had a great breakfast in Y. Ham and cheese omelette, roasted potatoes, bun, croissant, fruit salad, yoghurt, juice, water and coffee. However the dinner was quite light (due to the 22:00 departure time) which consisted of only a beef and cheese sandwich, potato salad and a cookie. The portions were very generous as well, especially the fruit salad. Perhaps AC872 has a heavier dinner and lighter lunch due to the earlier departure and arrival times.

The absolute worst "breakfast" I've ever had was on Air Transat back in 1997. The flight was from YVR to AMS and it consisted of a box with a bun which was about the size of a small potato, a mini Mars bar and a cup of water.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

LHRlocal

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:48 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 17):
Worst has to be TW, back in the day. Sure, they sprang for an omelette, but it was like eating an egg-flavoured condom.

Hahaha, im off work at the moment with food poisoning and that comment has just cheered me up no end...  Smile

laca773

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:41 am

The consistency you'll get for Breakfast, being the second meal depends on the length of the flight. Flights from NYC/BOS-LHR/LGW/MAN/SNN/DUB etc., are actually shorter than a westbound transcon BOS-LAX/SFO! Yes some of them are horrible but some are passable. On some of the longer TATL flights you'll get more of a European breakfast (depending on where you're flying of course).
Generally the TATL flights from the west coast LAX/SFO/SEA/PDX are longer in duration and should offer a more substantial Breakfast for the second meal, but it's generally very meger on the likes of BA/VS/UA/AA. I know LH has served a lovely European breakfast, in all classes and you can usually get a traditional Americanized breakfast of a nasty omlette. AF has always served decent quality meals for both services eastbound and back. SR did too but it's been a long time since I took them.

wilco737

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:46 am

I don't remember when I had my last breakfast after a transatlantic flight! Eastbound flights go mostly through the night back to Europe. And I usually sleep until the F/A needs to wake me up that it is time to land Big grin Then there is only time for a glass of Orange juice and that's it Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

ayubogg

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:24 pm

I did a daylight TATL from EWR to LHR with VS and the breakfast (served at around 10 am NYC time) choices was English and vegetarian. I chose English expecting something mediocre but it was actually quite descent. It wasn't Michelin Star worthy but it was a hearty breakfast. This was last June and if my memory serves me right it consisted of: sausage, bacon, hash-brown (or diced potatoes), tea and/or orange juice (I had both), cold fruit, and a cup of yogurt. I'm sure there was a sweet treat there somewhere too.

I'll be flying TATL with NW soon, any input on their definition of breakfast?

Regards,

-Ayubogg
Alba gu bràth

ualcsr

Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:55 am

What's a buttermilk bar? I just keep picturing something that looks like an Alpo dog biscuit. Yuk.

LHboyatDTW

Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:51 am

Quoting Ayubogg (Reply 22):

I'll be flying TATL with NW soon, any input on their definition of breakfast?

It's mainly a crossiant and some yogurt, nothing worth writing home about. At least chances are of you flying an A330 with AVOD which redeems NW in terms of the experience.

I too wonder about this buttermilk bar. To me it almost sounds like US just hands out sticks of butter for breakfast! Sounds dreadful!  crazy   vomit   scared 
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.