Skynet179
Topic Author

Flights To OGG (maui Airport)

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:18 am

Anyone experience with Maui bound flights from West coast ?? Which airliner has usually best rates ? What equipment ? UA from SFO ? My first visit there ..

ANCFlyer

RE: Flights To OGG (maui Airport)

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:13 pm

Use Hawaiian and their 767s. UA is fine, US gets you there. But Hawaiian . . . it's like being in the islands as soon as you board.

I go to Hawaii often - preference is always the HA 767s. Although this last trip in Feb was on an AS 737 non-stop from ANC.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

YULYMX

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:14 pm

Would suggest UA from SFO to OGG you can get a B767 on that route... Also i beleive that Hawaian airlines fly from SFO to OGG with B767... other than that there is probably AA with B757

mauiman31

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:43 pm

If you are particular about a wide-body or single aisle aircraft, that would be the thing to check when booking. I know that AA, NW schedule 57's on those routes. Maybe UA too, don't know. Aloha and Alaska would be a 37's. HA has all 67's. I don't believe DL does SFO-OGG or HNL anymore. Have fun!!

Skynet179
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:47 pm

Thx. guys, I just checked and saw that HA even flies from San Diego (my favourite W Coast city). Best place to deal from jet lag. HA-rates are much lower than UA. @ANCFlyer: if you know good accomodation, pls. send by email, thank you for that!

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:00 pm

Quoting Skynet179 (Reply 4):
if you know good accomodation, pls. send by email, thank you for that!

I recommend a condo . . . hotels are WAY too expensive.

Are you getting a rental car?

Lahaina and Kaanapali are great for tourists . . . want to relax stay in Kihei! I stay at Maui Sunset or Maui VIsta condos when we go there . . . Maui Sunset is right on the beach, Maui Vista is across the street from CHarley Young Beach. Both are great.

How many days are you planning in Maui? There are some things you don't want to miss there - IMO.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

mauiman31

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:23 pm

I have also rented a condo in Kihei. Good experience. You'll need a car. Great mid point spot from airport, Kaanapali, Lahnia, Makena, etc. Lots to choose from on the web.

If you want a resort hotel experience -- I have stayed at the Hyatt on Kaanapali, Prince Makena Resort (lovely beach on the south side) and at the Hana Maui Resort (heaven, but very $$$). All wonderful. Do the Hana Highway drive if you can.

Skynet179
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:23 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
How many days are you planning in Maui?

I'm planning to stay for 6-7 nights. The condo option is a possibility. Although, condo rentals for min. 4/5 persons (for me and my wife?). Rather stay in 6 different locations around the island like I usually do on the mainland.

I need a car too. Without a car, I'm lost.

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:45 pm

Quoting Skynet179 (Reply 7):
Although, condo rentals for min. 4/5 persons (for me and my wife?).

Nope, just you and your wife . . .

I was just there in Feb with Jackie and we had a great condo, just the two of us . . .it's usually that way.

We spent $1100 for a one bedroom, with Air Conditioning, for 8 days - MUCH lesss expensive than any hotel. Most places rent by the week, some let you have the odd 8, 9, 10 days. I mentioned Air Conditioning earlier because - be careful - not all rental condos have air conditioning. For an Alaskan going to Maui, it's a definite must. All the units where I usually stay, Maui Vista or Maui Sunset, have A/C.

The condo option is, IMO, the way to go. You can go shopping at Star Market and get whatever you want. I'd avoid the Safeway Market because - and only because - it's WAY over-priced. And if you want to buy alcohol on arrival, get to the store before 11pm . . . no alcohol sales after 11pm.  banghead 

Quoting Skynet179 (Reply 7):
I need a car too. Without a car, I'm lost.

No question - a car is a must. Maui is easy to navigate also. Some road construction in the center of the island might slow you down a little, but not bad at all.

Eating out: Well, where to start. In Kihei there's a place called LuLu's - if you want cold beer, decent chow, an interesting view and crowd. It's my favorite 'hang-out' place there. That said, there are so many excellent restaurants I couldn't begin to tell you where to start. Io and Pacific 'O in Lahaina will set you back abaout US$200 for a three hour meal that you'll not soon forget. But there's all manner of places to eat - the usual chain restaurants also, Bubba Gump Shrim Company, Cheeseburger in Paradise, McDonalds, blah blah blah . . .etc . . .

PacNWjet

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:56 pm

My wife and I spent eleven days on Maui over the Christmas holiday. We flew from the west coast and stayed in three different places on Maui. We also have been to Maui on two other occasions in the last five years, so we have some experience in this area.

In terms of airlines, we have flown both Hawaiian (HA) and United (UA) and found both to be pleasant. Our home airport is Portland (PDX) so it is possible to fly non-stop on HA from PDX to Maui (OGG). The problem is that usually when we check fares the HA PDX-OGG non-stop is more expensive than flying UA via San Francisco (SFO). On our last trip we splurged and flew on a paid first class ticket. It was considerably cheaper to change planes in SFO than take the HA non-stop from PDX.

Comfort-wise the HA and UA coach products are pretty similar. In first class on UA and HA 767s we found that HA has reclining seats with footrests, but the seats are more narrow than on UA which does not have footrests. On our most recent trip the UA flight from SFO to OGG was a 767 but it was a 777 on the return leg.

In terms of places to stay on Maui, there is a sort of hybrid between renting a condo and staying in one of the resort hotels. The Resort Quest chain operates a hotel-like service in condominium properties. So you stay in a condo but get maid service and have access to on-site ammenities such as restaurants and gift shops. Plus, with the condo you have kitchens in the room and in most cases washers and dryers in the condo for laundry. We stayed in two Resort Quest properties on our most recent visit, the Kaanapali Shores and the Mahana (we were originally booked into the Kaanapali Villas for part of the trip but it was undergoing rennovations so we were upgraded to an ocean-front unit in the Mahana right on Kaanapali beach).

It's hard not to have a good time on Maui. Let me know if you need more tips.

Edited for spelling.

[Edited 2008-03-13 08:57:55]

Skynet179
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:23 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):
In Kihei there's a place called LuLu's - if you want cold beer

@ANCFlyer: thanks for all your info. One of the reason why I love your country and it's citizens. I've been to the US more than 10 times .. but it's never enough. Both, Mauiman, PacNWjet, ANCFlyer .. THANK you for the information.
You convinced us to go on and book the tickets ..

@ANCFlyer: saw your pic taken at LuLu's .. good job!

KPWM

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:39 pm

If I were you, as others have said, I would go with Hawaiian. I've flown AA, UA, and US Airways out there from the west coast, but none of those compare to Hawaiian. If you can't fly with Hawaiian, I would say go with UA as a second choice.

YULYMX

Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:11 pm

UA is a great choice to Hawaii they have been going there forever UA#1 is ORD-HNL  Smile

aloha73g

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:46 pm

Aloha flies to OGG from OAK, SMF, SNA & SAN. Their crews are great, they still serve food, and the warm chocolate chip cookies/milk before landing are great! Like Hawaiian, you get the "already in Hawai'i" feeling when you board.

They usually offer great sales throughout the year too.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!