Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JETA1863
Topic Author

United Airlines-First Class|OKC-DEN-OGG-DEN-OKC

Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:19 am

Hello all!

First off I guarantee that I will be giving a trip report when this trip is completed. So please read further and help me out some!  Silly

Just booked a trip to Maui, Hawai'i on United (routing OKC-DEN-OGG and OGG-DEN-OKC) and I was fortunate enough to be able to upgrade immediately to First on all four legs of the trip. When I travel, I frequent American's First Class but have never had the opportunity to indulge in United's product. I'm just wondering if anyone has information on what to expect on the trip as far as aminities, menu's, etc.

Flights are as follows:

Oklahoma City to Denver
Flight: United 1231
Equipment: Boeing 737-500
Class: First
Seat: 1A
Departing: 9:30am
Arriving: 10:30am
Time en-route: 1h 33m

Denver to Maui
Flight: 71
Equipment: Boeing 767-300
Seat: 4J
Departing: 11:35am
Arriving: 2:51pm
Time en-route: 7h 16m

Maui to Denver
Flight: 70
Seat: 5A
Departing: 8:30pm
Arriving: 7:05am (next day)
Time en-route: 6h 35m

Denver to Oklahoma City
Flight: 5359 | Operated by GoJet
Equipment: CRJ-700
Seat: 2A
Departing: 8:50am
Arriving: 11:20am
Time en-route: 1h 30m

I used SeatGuru to pick some goods seats, but any first hand advice would be great, and any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!

[Edited 2008-03-25 18:32:00]
Regardless of the issue at hand, always analyze BOTH sides of a situation and ONLY THEN make an educated decision.

united

RE: United Airlines-First Class|OKC-DEN-OGG-DEN-OK

Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:19 am

It looks like a nice itinerary, and congrats on the upgrade! It is, however, domestic First on flights to/from Hawaii on United, similar to that found in the regular narrowbody fleet, but it is absolutely a better way to get to Hawaii, especially on those almost- longhauls to/from DEN.

Have fun in Maui!
The opinions expressed here are mine and not necessarily those of Delta Air Lines.

UAPremierGuy

Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:19 am

Quoting JETA1863 (Thread starter):
Oklahoma City to Denver
Flight: United 1231
Equipment: Boeing 737-500
Seat: 1A
Departing: 9:30am
Arriving: 10:30am
Time en-route: 1h 33m

You can expect a beverage service and the gold "premium" snack mix on this flight.

Denver to Maui
Flight: 71
Seat: 4J
Departing: 11:35am
Arriving: 2:51pm
Time en-route: 7h 16m

You can expect a Trader Vic's Meal. Choices usually include Filet Mignon, and something else. A small appetizer, salad, roll, hot towels, warm nuts, are other ammenities. Dessert is usually a bowl of icecream with praline sauce.

And, of course, Trader Vic's Mai Tai's should be free-flowing, guava juice is usually an additional option not available on mainland flights.

Seat pitch is the worst, and an inch shorter width than the 777 on the 767, according to many frequent fliers. Still, better than flying to Hawaii in Y with no free/hot meal. A movie will be shown on overhead screens, and, of course, Channel 9!

Maui to Denver
Flight: 70
Seat: 5A
Departing: 8:30pm
Arriving: 7:05am (next day)
Time en-route: 6h 35m

Expect a small snack. It rotates out of Hawaii monthly, lately it has been a cold chicken plate with dessert on the side. Beverage service available throughout the flight. A small fruit plate is served prior to arrival. Movies, again, on overhead screens are shown. And, of course, Channel 9.

Denver to Oklahoma City
Flight: 5359 | Operated by GoJet
Equipment: CRJ-700
Seat: 2A
Departing: 8:50am
Arriving: 11:20am
Time en-route: 1h 30m

Nice Seat. Excpect pre-departure beverage, as well as beverage in flight.
It's Time To Fly!

planecrazy2

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:56 am

Congrats on getting the upgrade! Just a word of warning, the domestic 763s have the most cramped F in the fleet and there are quite a lot of F seats in the cabin. In that regard the hard product is inferior to AA 763s, but the service will still be great. PremierGuy did a great job outlining the service.
United Airlines - Worldwide Service

mauiman31

Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:55 pm

Have a wonderful trip! And congrats on the upgrade! Since you have done AA F to Hawaii, as stated, be prepared for the difference in seats and pitch. About 22 inches less on UA domestic F to Hawaii than AA and others at 58-60 inches. And of course AA has the lie flat now on the 67's. Check out seatguru.com for details. UA currently packs in the most seats in F on their domestic wide-bodies to the islands.

As far as the other F service - food, drink, etc. It will be the same as AA. Have fun in the sun!!!!  sun 

JETA1863
Topic Author

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:44 pm

Ha, thanks everyone for their input, obviously we've been moved since the thread opened, my apologies.

Sorry if I mislead anyone, but I've never been to Hawaii, let alone used AA's service to the islands. What I meant to say was that when I travel, I frequent AA's First Class when I can, regardless of where I'm going.

Thanks again, everyone, for all the input!
Regardless of the issue at hand, always analyze BOTH sides of a situation and ONLY THEN make an educated decision.

Boston92

Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:30 am

Quoting Mauiman31 (Reply 4):
UA currently packs in the most seats in F on their domestic wide-bodies to the islands.

Well...2-2-2 as a domestic first is hardly packing it in on 777 Big grin

But I have been on the 767 in F and it is notably tighter. Seats are much narrower, aisles much narrower, and leg room is lacking for us big folk.

mauiman31

Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:59 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 6):
Well...2-2-2 as a domestic first is hardly packing it in on 777 

Absolutely. I overstated. Have been on an UA 777 a couple of times. Beautiful plane. I was just referring to the pitch and number of seats in the cabin compared to 67-3's AA uses on its domestic HI routes.

Had some acquaintances who recently did UA 777/767 F to HNL and back for a special occasion. They had a grand time and excellent service. But, were expecting more room and a newer lie flat type seat. Since they had no particular loyalty to UA or any other carrier -- (they don't fly that often any more) they wish they had done some checking first instead of assuming all F to the islands would be about the same. Now they know.

Evan767

Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:26 am

Nice TR

Seems that you had wonderful flights with UA.

Thank you for sharing

Evan767
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...