Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mayor
Topic Author

Delta Fans

Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:01 pm

Since I'm relatively new on here, I'd like to see a list of who likes DL and who doesn't. You know, just to make it easier on who I should line up with.   

It seems that everyone on here has a preference but DL seems to engender the most hatred and dislike. Is it because of the DL fanboys and their overpromotion or what?

[Edited 2008-04-14 15:10:31]

staralliance38

RE: Delta Fans

Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:54 pm

I'm not really fond of DL. Only thing I like about Delta is that they're partners with NW & CO &I love(d) Song. It's a pity Delta bought it  Sad

I'm "eh" with DL. I fly Star, NW, CO, and maybe AA. I think I'm alright with F9 and WN

mayor
Topic Author

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:02 pm

BTW, you can probably tell where I stand. DL put food on my table for over 33 years and it was a great time. Even though I'm probably a company man, for the most part, I don't hesitate to critisize them when necessary.

There are times when I'm sitting at a gate, waiting for my name to be called, that I observe things being done (or not done) in terms of customer service that make me cringe and I can see (and have seen) how DL's customer service has gone downhill. I would hope that it would start to improve. I think their biggest problem with customer service is consistency. It just isn't. Time was, you could expect good customer service on every flight but now, it seems as though it's hit or miss.

UltimateDelta

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:27 pm

My username probably tips you off: I love Delta a lot. The service has usually been good, and the crews always friendly.

Superfly

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:28 pm

Not a fan of Delta.
I hope we can still be friends though.  Silly

Quoting Mayor (Reply 2):
DL put food on my table for over 33 years and it was a great time.

That's cool. You worked in the airline industry during a more glamorous time.
As a company man, do you have some inside information as to why they changed their livery so many times over the past 10 years?
I know there were many threads about it here int eh past but they all ended up with 100+ post of 16-20 year old members giving opinions and a bunch of nonsense I was too lazy to sift through.

KPWM

Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:16 am

I am not a big fan of the old "Delta." I've had poor service with them. I hope the new "Delta (Northwest)" will impress me. After all, Delta is the world's largest airline.  Big grin

mayor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:32 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
As a company man, do you have some inside information as to why they changed their livery so many times over the past 10 years?

It was as confusing to us working for Delta as it was to you. When they changed from the 35 year old color scheme, I thought it was about time but I thought the Ron Allen scheme was boring. I actually liked Deltaflot and the new one is kind of growing on me, a little....kinda like a fungus!

Quoting KPWM (Reply 5):
I am not a big fan of the old "Delta." I've had poor service with them. I hope the new "Delta (Northwest)" will impress me. After all, Delta is the world's largest airline.

I'm guessing you've no experience of the "old Delta" that I know. If you did, you would wish for its return.

charlipr

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:35 am

I was not a fan of Delta for many years, until this year when I change my loyalty from US to DL. It all honesty, it was one of the best decision I have made. I would have preferred to fly CO, but they do not fly the routes that I fly on a weekly basis as efficiently as DL or US does. So I would say I am with DL.

Superfly

Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:35 am

Quoting Mayor (Reply 6):
When they changed from the 35 year old color scheme, I thought it was about time but I thought the Ron Allen scheme was boring.

Delta should have never changed their livery. There was nothing wrong with their 35 year running livery. The Ron Allen Scheme looked nice too and was a tasteful change. The Deltaflot and new one looks very cheap. I like Southwest (old & new) livery better.
Shame on Delta.

LHboyatDTW

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:20 am

I like Delta and am in support of them merging with my hometown carrier, but I am kinda upset that because of them, NW will be no more in 10 years. Oh well, that's the price of having Steenland steering the ship and then again better DL than AA or US.

deltairlines

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:45 pm

I'm a Delta guy - currently Silver on them (been Silver for several years now), should make Gold on them next month and Platinum by the end of the year.

Front line personnel have always been great, especially the agents working the Crown Rooms - they are, by far, some of the best agents I've encountered. Agents working the elite check-in line have always been very good to me, and Special Member Services (elite phone number) has helped me out many times.

First class service is pretty consistent with other airlines; I'm a fan of the PTVs that can be found on most transcon flights now as well.

Glad to have NW onboard though; DTW is the best hub in the land in my opinion and I'm glad it'll be a Delta hub soon.

KPWM

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting Mayor (Reply 6):

I'm guessing you've no experience of the "old Delta" that I know. If you did, you would wish for its return.

I've taken many DL flights. In my experience they just don't compare to that of UA or some LCC's like B6. They are a good airline, but not the best in my opinion.

mayor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:09 pm

quote=KPWM,reply=11]I've taken many DL flights. In my experience they just don't compare to that of UA or some LCC's like B6. They are a good airline, but not the best in my opinion.[/quote]

I repeat:

Quoting KPWM (Reply 11):
Quoting Mayor (Reply 6):

I'm talking from before '71 until at least '99. That's the "old Delta" that I know. It's a shame that many don't remember that and never experienced it.

KPWM

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:34 pm

Quoting Mayor (Reply 12):
I'm talking from before '71 until at least '99. That's the "old Delta" that I know. It's a shame that many don't remember that and never experienced it.

I, have taken many "old Delta" flights in the 90's, and again, in my opinion they were not my preferred carrier. Back then, I had better service with UA and AA.

57AZ

Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:07 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 8):
Delta should have never changed their livery. There was nothing wrong with their 35 year running livery.

I remember many old Delta flights from the '80s-very good for the most part. DL and WN are my two top choices when I have to go commercial. NWA and UAL are second choice and AA will become a choice once Crandall kicks the bucket.

catsfan

Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:01 pm

Quoting Mayor (Thread starter):
Since I'm relatively new on here, I'd like to see a list of who likes DL and who doesn't. You know, just to make it easier on who I should line up with.

I am a huge fan of Delta. I have said in other threads....I fly Delta 95% of the time. They have a nice selection of flights to and from KLEX. I have flown other carriers and IMO Delta's service is just as good. Plus they have NEVER lost my luggage.....I probably shouldn't say that.

vatveng

Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:19 pm

Quoting KPWM (Reply 13):
I, have taken many "old Delta" flights in the 90's, and again, in my opinion they were not my preferred carrier. Back then, I had better service with UA and AA.

Same here. I flew Delta several times in the mid-late '90s and never had a good experience. But, I tried them again in 2005 and found a much improved airline. So much improved that I switched my loyalty from US and never looked back. Flew them several times in 2007 and knew I had made a good decision. In my experience they are better today than they were 10-15 years ago.

Quoting StarAlliance38 (Reply 1):
&I love(d) Song. It's a pity Delta bought it Sad

Nobody bought Song. Song was an airline-within-an-airline created and operated by Delta.

DALelite

Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:18 pm

This coming July it will be twenty years since i've first borded a DL aircraft. Two L-1011 flights from TPA-DFW-LAX.
And ever since i was a loyal customer and DL supporter.

cheers: DALelite

columba

Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:24 am

DL is an okay airline nothing special I don´t know why many people are making such as fuzz about them.
They did not have the most interesting fleet (now with some 747s things have changed a bit), their livery is rather boring and their service is average. I always prefered NW over DL.

mayor
Topic Author

Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Quoting Columba (Reply 18):

You'd really have been bored with DL's original fleet plans in the '90's. It was supposed to be 737/757/767 and 777.

deltal1011man

Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:03 pm

I'm probably one of the biggest DL fans on here along with WT.

Quoting StarAlliance38 (Reply 1):
I love(d) Song. It's a pity Delta bought it

You do know Song was always owned by DL and ran by Delta right?

DL is an okay airline nothing special I don´t know why many people are making such as fuzz about them.
They did not have the most interesting fleet (now with some 747s things have changed a bit), their livery is rather boring and their service is average. I always prefered NW over DL.

ok and you have A32s, 757,A330 and 744.....how is that not the same.....?

xclozano

Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:13 pm

I love Delta-always have, always will  Smile

Long live Delta

X

columba

Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:12 am

Quoting Mayor (Reply 19):
You'd really have been bored with DL's original fleet plans in the '90's. It was supposed to be 737/757/767 and 777

Indeed very boring, sadly the days of Dc 10s, L1011s, 727, Caravelles, Dc 9s etc are over.

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 20):
ok and you have A32s, 757,A330 and 744.....how is that not the same.....?

First it is not only one manufacturer only and come on a 747 is still an exciting aircraft, much better than those boring twins.

767Lover

Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:29 pm

They did not have the most interesting fleet (now with some 747s things have changed a bit)

Um, since when did DL get 747s?

DL is okay, but honestly I don't see that much difference between any of the "big six" legacies, at least as a domestic coach traveler.

mayor
Topic Author

Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:53 pm

Right after I first started in '71, this was the fleet (post NE merger):

Fairchild FH-227
DC-9-14/32
CV880
DC-8-33/51/61
B-727-95/295 (all from NE)
B-747

For awhile, we had the 747, DC-10 and Tristar operating at the same time, but not for long.

nk319

Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:59 pm

I would have to say growing up I loved Delta. My family and I always flew them up to Lex. I loved flying through ATL. There operation there has and still amazes me. But being that I now work for Jetblue, and Delata has clogged up JFK with all those regional jets for no reason, they aggrevate me. They cant compete with us domestically out of JFK so dont punish everyone there by putting Dash-8's there. Once Jetble takes away more of there market share in the NYC area I will be a bigger fan of them.

mayor
Topic Author

Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:04 pm

Quoting Nk319 (Reply 25):

Don't hold your breath.  wink 

columba

Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:43 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 23):
Um, since when did DL get 747s?

Since they have merged with NW  Wink

DALelite

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:50 pm

I don´t know why many people are making such as fuzz about them.

their staff is different!!! to me that's all what counts.

cheers DALelite

b6fll

Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:44 am

Most of there staff have no personality..How is that diffrent from any other legacy???

deltal1011man

Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:18 am

They cant compete with us domestically out of JFK so dont punish everyone there by putting Dash-8's

To bad Delta doesn't even have Dash-8s  Yeah sure

Once Jetble takes away more of there market share in the NYC area I will be a bigger fan of them.

Unlike B6, DL has TATL flights and is still ADDING flights and has the most slots at JFK. I just can't wait for the new terminal.

TimePilot

Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:03 am

I've never flown Delta ...

columba

Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:08 am

Quoting DALelite (Reply 28):

In how far ?

DALelite

Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:02 pm

they are a lots of fun to talk and hang out with during a flight. I have had many very great conversations and discussions with DL Fa's. And they are very kind , willing to walk the extra mile for you. All things, i don't see at all the other Airlines.
Never flown an Asian Carrier.

mayor
Topic Author

Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:15 pm

Quoting B6fll (Reply 29):
Most of there staff have no personality..How is that diffrent from any other legacy???

And you know HOW many of DL's staff, personally? From your name I can see how you would say that but it just isn't true......and you know it.

floridaflyboy

Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:17 pm

Quoting DALelite (Reply 28):

Bingo! Hit the nail on the head. In my experience, DL's people have that legendary Delta Spirit. They're friendly, helpful, and always go that extra mile for the passenger. Things may not always go smoothely while flying with them (as they don't with any airline), but DL seems to pick up the pieces and put them back together as quickly and nicely as they can. Their employees really take ownership of situations that arise and tackle them quickly and effectively. For example, I was flying ATL-DAB last fall and there was a thunderstorm over the airport delaying flights. The captain came into the terminal and made a PA announcement using the gate information screen's weather screen as his visual aide and explained everything he could about the weather, and their plan to deal with it and get us to DAB on time. He and the gate agents kept us informed every step of the way and were incredibly friendly the whole time (never even got frustrated with 100 people asking the exact same question over and over). In a similar experience with UA at DEN, the gate agents announced that the flight was delayed and walked away from the gate, leaving the passengers there alone. Not much in the way of customer service there. So, DL's people are certainly the biggest reason I love DL and fly them more than 95% of the time.

DALelite

Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:12 pm

...and as Floridaflyboy has mentioned, while waiting they always keep you informed. For excample, i have never expirienced that on the late Swissair.

tommy767

Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:51 am

I flew DL a few weeks ago and thought they were good. I'm loyal to AA, and for some odd reason I missed flying with them. I liked flying a 757 from EWR-ATL, that was really nice. And the 764 from ATL-LAX was a huge disappointment because I expected PTVs. It was continuing onto HNL, so I should have known. BOB was okay, the chicken parm. sand was impossible to eat because it was non-proportional and it was 8 bucks (RIPOFF). The biscoff cookies are awesome though, and are free. The F/As were great. I didn't like the seats on the 738 though. Slimline = uncomfortable. And the legroom for me (6'0") was cramped. On AA I can book exit row so that really helps me out.

But overall a good experience. I'll place them #2 behind AA for me.

JGPH1A

Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:10 pm

I have in the past bitched endlessly about DL, mostly about their horrible old 763's and that pigsty of a terminal complex at JFK, but I am beginning to mellow on them.

I flew on Saturday NCE-JFK-RDU on DL, and it was overall a pleasant experience. Check-in was easy (I was in Y but used the J check-in 'cos I'm Platinum Medallion), the NCE lounge is pleasant but nothing special. Boarding was quick, the crew on board friendly and cheerful. We took off from NCE bang on time, had drinks and lunch (the bag of peanuts with the drinks was the smallest I've ever seen !). Lunch was actually very nice, small and uninspired salad with not a very nice dressing (vinaigrette, very goopy and artificial - I suggest maybe they switch to Ranch or offer a choice), very nice pasta with spinach and tomatoes (pasta not too gludgy, which is good), and a small but very nice ginger cookie (advice to DL - cookies WAY too small - make them bigger or give 2). After lunch I asked the FA if they had any jasmine tea, they didn't but she offered me an orange blossom Tazo thing instead, which was nice of her. The tea itself was toxic, like drinking hot salad dressing, but it was kind of her to bring it to me from up front.

Rest of the flight was fine, they showed 2 movies ("National Treasure 2" and "Enchanted" - they started "The Water Horse" as the 2nd movie but the tape/disk was damaged so they stopped it and switched to "Enchanted") - flight went nice and quick, we were served ice-cream about half-way across, and pizze (kind of doughy, but quite nice) about 1 hour out of JFK.

Landed at JFK 20 minutes early, no line at immigration in T3 at all (I was the first in the non-US queue), a bit of a line at Customs (only one Customs guy taking the docs, plus the confused layout of the baggage hall did not help - some attention needed there I think. No line at the transfer security, straight to gate 23 at T2. There was a very late departure to RDU (STD 0840, ETD 1520) so I asked at the ticket desk (eventually, after the CSR had spent 20 minutes (!) serving some staff parents on ID travel - ridiculous - when there's a queue of paying passengers, you shove the ID pax to one side and deal with them later) whether I could take the earlier flight - they recommended that I stick to my booked flight, as that earlier flight had had a serious technical fault and was likely to be delayed further.

Went up to the Business Elite lounge, I wasn't sure if I would be allowed to use it or not, but they said I could because I'd arrived on an international flight that day. Comfortable enough lounge, but no indication as to whether drinks were paid or for free - the bar was not sself-service, so it's hard to tell. Also, there was nothing to eat except pretzels, which is a bit of a let-down from European and Asian carriers' lounges where it's always help yourself for drinks and snacks. Anyway, had a nice long shower and a sit down before heading back to gate 23 for the flight to RDU

Boarded promptly, flight was v. full as they had transferred as many pax as possible from the delayed morning flight. V. funny FA (Jonathan), full of banter and very good with the passengers. Pushed back on time, but took about 30 minutes to reach the runway, typical JFK I suppose but very tedious.

Flight was nice, although the FA took his time with the drinks, he was serving everyone from the galley, not from a trolley and it took ages.

Landed at RDU on time but had to wait 5 minutes for the parking stand to clear.

So not too bad at all, DL - can't complain.

One point though, and I don't know how others feel about this, but not once during the whole experience, did anyone refer to me by name. Most carriers with the top-tier FF passengers, take the effort to greet you by name. On LH and BA, the purser or cabin service director will come and say hello before take off, etc. With DL, nothing - not from anyone at all at either airport nor on board either flight. Is this just a USA thing, a DL thing ? I don't really care, but it would be nice to feel one's presence at least acknowleged.

panamair

Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:34 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 38):
(the bag of peanuts with the drinks was the smallest I've ever seen !

At least they still have a bag of peanuts  Smile ...AA doesn't even bother with a snack with the beverage service anymore on any of its transatlantic flights in Y.

the confused layout of the baggage hall did not help - some attention needed there I think.

One side of the baggage/customs facility is currently closed off because they have been doing some renovation work to expand the connection/transfer area. According to DL JFK ground staff I have spoken to who have seen the area, the place is beautiful and bright, and will be a big contrast to the current dark and dingy connection facility at T3.

no indication as to whether drinks were paid or for free

All alcoholic beverages in DL lounges are complimentary.

there was nothing to eat except pretzels

You must have caught it in the 'off' moment just before the food rolls out around 3-4pm - usually there are hot hors d'oeuvres, fruits, veggies, desserts, etc. for the transatlantic bank of flights. In the morning, they usually have yoghurt, muffins, etc.

Most carriers with the top-tier FF passengers, take the effort to greet you by name. On LH and BA, the purser or cabin service director will come and say hello before take off

You must either be someone really special or plain lucky. I have been an LH Senator for years now but have been addressed only twice in all my years of flying (and only on LX, not even LH) by name, and only when I was in J. I had AF Frequence Plus Rouge, and then Flying Blue Platinum for years and had never ever been personally addressed by any AF on board staff either. With Delta, if you're in Business, the FAs are supposed to address you by name, but often times, they only do it at the beginning when they take your meal order. There are exceptions of course, and DL does have some fantastic FAs who also have a great memory for names who would address me by name the entire flight. In fact, when it comes to addressing passengers by name, there is one particular JFK-based ex-Pan Am FA currently with Delta (Connie, a French speaker, with whom I have flown many times between JFK and NCE) who puts every other FA in the world to shame - she would look at every boarding passenger's boarding pass and greet them by name as they enter the plane (no matter whether in Y or J) and she addresses every J passenger by their last name whenever she serves them (whether she's bringing them coffee or whether she's returning their coat)! Hope you run into her one of these days if you fly JFK-NCE often!

tennis69

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:34 am

My home is in Atlanta and when flying domestically I always use DL. I work internationally and always use a SkyTeam member. I am able to maintain Platinum Elite status which allows me to upgrade on all of my domestic flights. DL has provided me with excellent service and they and their SkyTeam partners will continue to get my business.