readytotaxi
Topic Author

LHR-JFK First Class, But WHO?

Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:55 pm

Have a pleasure trip coming up soon, May, for a wedding, but who do I fly with?
BA First seems a bit hit and miss reading the reports.
UA seem to have indifferent cabin crew.
AA seem a bit like BA.
Someone said that Air India with the new 777 was very good.
Or is there a middle east carrier who goes via London.
I want an airline that will give me the WOW factor in First, suggestions pls.
 Confused
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

sleeperseat

RE: LHR-JFK First Class, But WHO?

Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:09 pm

How about EOS Airlines?! I've flown them a couple of times as well as BA First Class, and EOS is much better let me tell u.

san747

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:24 pm

Quoting Readytotaxi (Thread starter):

Or is there a middle east carrier who goes via London.

Kuwait Airways flies A340-300s and 777-200s on LHR-JFK... you can try them.
Scotty doesn't know...

davescj

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Quoting San747 (Reply 2):
Kuwait Airways flies A340-300s and 777-200s on LHR-JFK... you can try them.

Unless you like wine with dinner, I believe (though not certain) that Kuwait is a dry airline.

I would go BA. My experience on BA premium cabins has always been much better than what I've had on any US flag carrier.

Is it a WOW at the SQ level? Sadly....no.

But F in BA is a great treat.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

fbgdavidson

Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:36 pm

BA seems the obvious choice for a First Class product but alternatively Eos sounds pretty good too. BA have a fare sale on and it seems they are including F in this one, a quick shows it is £2100 return in July/August which for JFK is great! Alternatively and what I think represents excellent value for money is scoring upper deck in Club World window seats. Sentiment on Flyertalk is that quite a few people prefer these seats to the 4E/F and 5E/F in First.

United don't fly LHR-JFK anymore.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

qfflyer

Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:42 pm

Quoting Readytotaxi (Thread starter):
BA First seems a bit hit and miss reading the reports

I have just done 2 trips in BA F, JFK-LHR and LHR-LAX, and I found it to be terrific, even better than QF!

Cheers

rvA340

Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:23 am

hello...
i think you should try Virgin Atlantic..they have many fligths serving that route, so you will have more flight options ..with A340-600/300 or B744...
if you want to get the WOW factor in first... i think they are the best choice..GREAT service, very comfortable, uniqueness on first class..i did once and it was just great..!!
good luck!
 Wink

Viscount724

Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:53 am

Quoting Davescj (Reply 3):
Unless you like wine with dinner, I believe (though not certain) that Kuwait is a dry airline.

I'm pretty sure that's correct.

A340600

Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:50 pm

Quoting RvA340 (Reply 6):
i think you should try Virgin Atlantic..they have many fligths serving that route, so you will have more flight options ..with A340-600/300 or B744...
if you want to get the WOW factor in first... i think they are the best choice..GREAT service, very comfortable, uniqueness on first class..i did once and it was just great..!!

Virgin don't have First class so that choice is out the window Wink
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

rvA340

Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:37 pm

well...sorry i mean upper class...it still was very good...!

UAalltheway

Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:03 pm

I say make a connection and do SQ 26 FRA-JFK  Smile SQ F would well be worth it.

davehammer

Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:19 pm

Well no Eos any more as they've filed for Ch11. If I were you I'd go for BA out of the LON-NYC carriers.

laca773

Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:37 am

BA is the best on this route.
Personally, there's no "hit and miss" when comparing or saying AA is similar to BA! Not even close. If you want what you pay for, go BA otherwise I feel you might find yourself deeply disappointed in AA's F product.

sleeperseat

Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:49 am

Have you thought about flying with JET Airways via BRU, i guess you can't go wrong with their F product!!!

SOBHI51

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:55 am

I second the FRA-EWR that will be some experience you will never forget.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:15 am

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 12):
I feel you might find yourself deeply disappointed in AA's F product

I don't see how you could get "deeply disappointed". I think AA intl First is quite awesome, and I know a lot of people agree with me. Obviously its not up there with the lights of SQ et al, but its not "that" bad.

PS Congrats on your marriage Readytotaxi, and I hope you enjoy your flight (whomever you'll fly with!)  Smile

PHXmd80

Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:15 am

Quoting A340600 (Reply 8):
Virgin don't have First class so that choice is out the window

Don't pay for first class. Fly VS and get better service in upper class then you EVER would on BA.
book here  arrow  www.virginatlantic.com  bigthumbsup 

PHXmd80

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:54 pm

Quoting Sleeperseat (Reply 13):

Thanks, thats something I had not thought about.
Cheers

burnsie28

Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:12 pm

Quoting Sleeperseat (Reply 1):
How about EOS Airlines?! I've flown them a couple of times as well as BA First Class, and EOS is much better let me tell u.

1. EOS doesn't serve LHR
2. EOS is no longer in business

Finally don't forget that DL also flies the route.

Elite

Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:14 pm

BA would be a safe choice - they might not always 'wow' you but they will never really disappoint that much in first class. I am also flying BA (JFK-LHR) in June but it is for the 747 that they operate and to check out the new T5 at LHR  Wink

sleeperseat

Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:36 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 18):

I wouldn't recommend any American Flag carrier if this guy is on his honeymoon trip and wants to be wow'ed in every second of his flight.

I would definately apply for Jet Airways via BRU, Singapore Airlines via FRA, Qatar Airways via ZRH.... All these carrier's are offering an F Class product that would never be reached by an American carrier!!!

Here's another cool option, why not trying the LH BBJ ex FRA, flying to the states with only 48 passengers is a very exclusive way.... no doubt!!!

laca773

Thu May 01, 2008 5:01 am

Quoting 44k (Reply 15):
I don't see how you could get "deeply disappointed". I think AA intl First is quite awesome, and I know a lot of people agree with me. Obviously its not up there with the lights of SQ et al, but its not "that" bad.

I apreicate your thoughts, 44K. I'm going with my past experiences with AA premium cabins and what I've read on here as well as on FlyerTalk.
I do understand where you're coming from and being an AAgent, it's going to be different for you than someone who looks at it differently who doesn't work for AA.
I still stand behind what I have to say and feel there's no comparison in F/P class on AA vs BA!

davescj

Thu May 01, 2008 4:19 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 18):

Yes, but remember is BizElite -- which while good, is not F.

Quoting Sleeperseat (Reply 20):
I wouldn't recommend any American Flag carrier if this guy is on his honeymoon trip and wants to be wow'ed in every second of his flight.

I would definately apply for Jet Airways via BRU, Singapore Airlines via FRA, Qatar Airways via ZRH.... All these carrier's are offering an F Class product that would never be reached by an American carrier!!!

Here's another cool option, why not trying the LH BBJ ex FRA, flying to the states with only 48 passengers is a very exclusive way.... no doubt!!!

Sadly, I have agree. I don't see any US flag carrier looking to be at the CX or SQ F level. And if they did, I don't know that they could sell the seats. Sad.

Dave

amirs

Mon May 05, 2008 7:40 am

i would consider :

1. NYC via FRA with SQ
2. via BRU with JET
3. nonstop BA

Baexecutive

Mon May 05, 2008 12:55 pm

Travel with BA from LHR to JFK First and you'll experience a far superior product than AA, take a look at the respective websites, they speak volumes.

www.ba.com/first

http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/content/uk/onboard/fclass.jhtml

BA = unobtrusive, stylish, luxurious
AA = a bit on the cheapo side

rdwootty

Mon May 05, 2008 5:11 pm

Personally I think that VS is the best, never mind that it is not called First , after all it the experience you are looking for and whats in a name? You have all the benefits and the Lounge at LHR would be a good start without doubt, after your limo trip to the airport!!

LHRBFSTrident

Tue May 06, 2008 3:57 am

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 24):
Travel with BA from LHR to JFK First and you'll experience a far superior product than AA, take a look at the respective websites, they speak volumes.

www.ba.com/first

http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/content/uk/onboard/fclass.jhtml

BA = unobtrusive, stylish, luxurious
AA = a bit on the cheapo side

ROFL @ AA - complete with pic in soft focus - now THAT'S sophistication at it's pinnacle

From my perspective non-stop choices are either BA or VS - and both are great - BA seems more traditional, and VS a bit more hip - just depends on what style appeals to you more.

davescj

Tue May 06, 2008 10:22 am

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 12):
If you want what you pay for, go BA otherwise I feel you might find yourself deeply disappointed in AA's F product.

Another interesting difference is the menu. Take a look on the AA site, and they often show both a First menu and a C menu. I was amazed how few difference there are.

I flew BA F and the main meal was completely different from C. One nice thing in AA and DL C cabins, no trays.

BA F, however, does allow you to share your table (and it is a table!). Also, the pacing of the meal in BA F is quite sedate. BA, AA, and DL C all have the "feel" of eating on a plane, in the sense that the service is not rushed but steady. BA F is like eating in a good restaurant where nothing is rushed.

I did find, however, that BA F and C breakfast was the same.

Dave

warren747sp

Tue May 06, 2008 11:17 am

Definitely BA first class make sure you get a window seat on one of the 744 plane. And you will feel the flight time is too short.
747SP

TupolevTu154

Tue May 06, 2008 4:57 pm

As Davescj mentioned above, dining in BA F is great. You have the meal when you like - no set time. The food is brilliant and you can have a restaurant like experience. If it's a honeymoon type thing you can sit opposite eachother and share the same table.

The cabin in the nose of the 744 is incredibly quiet and when it's time to sleep you get a proper duvet and soft matress. As can be read in some of the trip reports, the F cabin is getting slightly worn but it's still top notch in my opinion.

Good luck with whichever you choose!

Tom Big grin

Baexecutive

Wed May 07, 2008 10:05 pm

Quoting LHRBFSTrident (Reply 26):
ROFL @ AA - complete with pic in soft focus - now THAT'S sophistication at it's pinnacle

LOL classy

Quoting LHRBFSTrident (Reply 26):
From my perspective non-stop choices are either BA or VS - and both are great - BA seems more traditional, and VS a bit more hip - just depends on what style appeals to you more.

EXACTLY

fbgdavidson

Thu May 08, 2008 12:17 am

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 25):
You have all the benefits and the Lounge at LHR would be a good start without doubt, after your limo trip to the airport!!

But to get te VS fares that include a car service you'd need to pay quite a lot more than you would for the £2100 BA F sale fare.

Quoting Davescj (Reply 27):
BA F is like eating in a good restaurant where nothing is rushed.

It's like eating in a good restaurant but without the good restaurant's food  Wink

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 29):
You have the meal when you like - no set time. The food is brilliant and you can have a restaurant like experience.

Although I've found crews rarely offer eat when you like for the main meals, they'll just assume you want to eat when everyone else does. You have to ask for it and you might meet the occassional grumble on shorter flights. There are the pasta, bacon roll etc dishes that you can order as a snack whenever. I'm sure there are people on here who fly BA F much more than I do

As for the food, I'd struggle to call it brilliant. Starters and desserts are usually pretty good to excellent but I think that the main courses aren't high quality. How much would you pay on the ground at a restaurant for what BA serve in the air? £15? If BA invested a bit more money in the food on offer they'd have dishes to get excited about. At least this month I have the chance to sample BA's, CX's, QF's and JL's F cuisine in relatively quick succession. I'm already pretty sure that BA are going to let the side down  Wink
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

davescj

Thu May 08, 2008 12:37 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 31):
It's like eating in a good restaurant but without the good restaurant's food  

Big grin  rotfl 

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 31):
least this month I have the chance to sample BA's, CX's, QF's and JL's F cuisine in relatively quick succession.

Hope you post a TR! It would be interesting to see a comparsion between them.

So far, I've not been on CX or QF.

Dave

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Sat May 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Many thanks to everyone who chipped in, lots to think about, cheers

mk777

Mon May 12, 2008 10:06 pm

I would love to try F (are my preferences; i can only dream flying F class) on these airlines from LHR-JFK:

AI 77W
BA 744, 772ER
SQ via FRA 744??
9W via BRU 77W
VS A346

Do EK and EY fly via LHR to JFK??

You could even try QR A332 via GVA to EWR. Do they have F on this flight?
come fly with me

Viscount724

Tue May 13, 2008 2:14 am

Personally, for 6 to 7 hours each way LHR-JFK, I would travel Y class (or even premium economy) and save all those thousands of pounds you're going to spend for first class seats. The savings would be enough to pay for the most luxurious honeymoon suite in the best hotel for a couple of weeks.

Just took a quick look at BA first class fares LHR-JFK-LHR for random dates a week from now and the lowest fare I could find on their website is 7166 pounds (US$ 13,994). Or roughly $1000 per flying hour for a round trip to JFK. For the same dates BA has a sale fare LHR-JFK-LHR in Y class at 249 pounds (US$ 486) including taxes/fees. I just can't rationalize spending another $13,400 when a seat a few rows further back on the same flight would get you there and back for $496.

theengineer

Tue May 13, 2008 3:40 am

You should go with BA

sleeperseat

Tue May 13, 2008 1:45 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 35):
Personally, for 6 to 7 hours each way LHR-JFK, I would travel Y class (or even premium economy) and save all those thousands of pounds you're going to spend for first class seats. The savings would be enough to pay for the most luxurious honeymoon suite in the best hotel for a couple of weeks.

Just took a quick look at BA first class fares LHR-JFK-LHR for random dates a week from now and the lowest fare I could find on their website is 7166 pounds (US$ 13,994). Or roughly $1000 per flying hour for a round trip to JFK. For the same dates BA has a sale fare LHR-JFK-LHR in Y class at 249 pounds (US$ 486) including taxes/fees. I just can't rationalize spending another $13,400 when a seat a few rows further back on the same flight would get you there and back for $496.

Not wrong to think that way, that's what i always do when i'm on business trips, i'm starting to dream what i would do with that much money if i would have it for free expense.....

But how about that, not getting married, and saving half of the money of this trip....  Smile Just kidding...