Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ANITIX87
Topic Author

Cheap Fares And Booking Methods

Tue May 20, 2008 2:47 am

Hey, everyone.

I traditionally book online, though my mother prefers to go through a booking agent. Does anyone have a preference and why one is better than the other?

Also, I am going to Switzerland later this summer, and one of my friends wants to come with me. I'm already booked, and he wants to take the same flights if he can find them at relatively the same price as his cheapest option would be.

It's complicated, since I have a day-long layover in London, but what would you guys recommend for finding low fares?

I've looked online and I found 1471 but the middle flight does not co-incide perfectly, he'd arrive late afternoon and I'd arrive well before him at 10AM.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

TIS

NWADC9

RE: Cheap Fares And Booking Methods

Tue May 20, 2008 3:21 am

Online and through the airline sites directly. I'll use Kayak for a search on the fares, and then go to the airline's site.

Leskova

Tue May 20, 2008 6:20 am

I've never found anything beating what I could find in a GDS through either an airline website or through airline callcenters (the latter have had particularly bad results in my case - often ending up way above what I could find without even breathing hard).

The best I've had in the case of websites is matching what I could get in a GDS.

487 flights - and just 4 booked online... because there were only seats that we needed for our party available and I didn't want to risk waiting till the next day.

On the other hand - I know how to search using a GDS. I know dozens of sales agents who also know what to do, but I, unfortunately, know hundreds that don't have a clue.

JGPH1A

Tue May 20, 2008 6:38 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 2):
I've never found anything beating what I could find in a GDS through either an airline website

I have. Mind you I don't have access to nego fares like you do.

airline callcenters

Generally hopeless - they will sell you whatever pops up on their screen. Most carries won't even consider selling you an interline itinerary (mostly because their Res systems don't propose them) - airline call centres are good for making changes (provided you've already been on the GDS and found exactly what you want them to change).

ANITIX87
Topic Author

Tue May 20, 2008 2:50 pm

I could find in a GDS

Forgive my naivete, but what is a GDS?

TIS

JGPH1A

Tue May 20, 2008 6:51 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 4):
what is a GDS?

Global Distribution System. System such as Amadeus, Sabre, Galileo, Apollo, Worldspan, Abacus, Infini, Axess, Topas, Travelsky, Sirena, used by travel agents to book flights, cars, hotels, cruises etc. Almost all carriers (except some LCC's) make their schedules and fares available to GDS's to enable travel agents to make bookings.

Fiatstilojtd

Tue May 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 5):
Sabre

Who told me the last time I wrote that to wash my mouth out with soap, hmmh ?

know hundreds that don't have a clue.

It is a desaster when companies like e.g. mcflight go bust, they used to be big in business. I dunno who the new owner is now.

ANITIX87
Topic Author

Wed May 21, 2008 3:07 pm

Can someone like me access and use a GDS, or do you have to be a travel agent? If I am allowed to use one, can someone recommend a good one?

So far the cheapest I've found is 1150 flying EWR-ZRH, GVA-EWR (the EWR-ZRH flight must be included non-stop so our first flight, at least, can coincide).

Can anyone point me to a site that will get me cheaper fares, or directly TO a cheaper fare they've found?

TIS

JGPH1A

Wed May 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Quoting Fiatstilojtd (Reply 6):
Who told me the last time I wrote that to wash my mouth out with soap, hmmh ?

I am allowed to say it, but you have to spit copiously after saying the Cursed Name. Ptttooooiieeee !!  spit 

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 7):
Can someone like me access and use a GDS

Amadeus.net has fare search options that use the Amadeus GDS - same info, schedules etc as a travel agent (but not necessarily all the same fares - many fares are private).

Viscount724

Wed May 21, 2008 10:31 pm

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 1):
Online and through the airline sites directly. I'll use Kayak for a search on the fares, and then go to the airline's site.

You may also want to check the following site which I find very good.
http://www.itasoftware.com/

That company provides the fare search software for several major carrier websites including CO, AS, US and a few others, and is developing similar software for AC's new web-based reservations system. After you click on "Details" next to one of the routings/fares, ifi you click the "Show booking details" in the upper left hand corner it will give you a detailed breakdown of the fare, including the fare basis code that appears in the GDS systems and all taxes/fees/fuel surcharges etc. included in the total price. While you can't use that site to book, you could then contact the carrier directly (or a travel agent) and refer them to the fare quote you obtained.

JGPH1A

Thu May 22, 2008 12:29 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 9):
developing similar software for AC's new web-based reservations system

*snigger*

Fiatstilojtd

Fri May 23, 2008 2:10 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 8):
I am allowed to say it, but you have to spit copiously after saying the Cursed Name. Ptttooooiieeee !!  

Hi JGPH1A,

arent you in a high enough position at Amadeus to have the industrial standard "competition-term" in your contract ?  Wink

JGPH1A

Fri May 23, 2008 3:09 pm

Quoting Fiatstilojtd (Reply 11):
arent you in a high enough position at Amadeus to have the industrial standard "competition-term" in your contract ?

I don't know what one of those is. Probably - I am VERY important, after all :-P

N867DA

Fri May 23, 2008 4:37 pm

Kayak, Travelocity/Hotwire/Expedia, and the airline websites in that order. The only reason I've used a travel agent is to book long haul flights, but nowadays its easy to do that online too.

Fiatstilojtd

Sat May 24, 2008 10:52 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 12):
I am VERY important, after all :-P

JGPH1A, regarding the V. U. P. Tickets you receive regularly for the big events, sessions, vernissage etc. .....the U stands for UNIMPORTANT not Ultraimportant....just to let you know.  Wink

JGPH1A

Sat May 24, 2008 3:31 pm

Quoting Fiatstilojtd (Reply 14):
JGPH1A, regarding the V. U. P. Tickets you receive regularly for the big events, sessions, vernissage etc. .....the U stands for UNIMPORTANT not Ultraimportant....just to let you know.

At least I get invited.

:-P

Fiatstilojtd

Sat May 24, 2008 3:42 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 15):
At least I get invited.

:-P

You might have a point there...yeah, definitely you have a point there.  frown