Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SYfan100
Topic Author

Fun Avation Memories

Thu May 22, 2008 12:07 am

What is your most favorite memory of avation?
When I was a kid many times on Friday night leaving the Minneapolis Airport there were several Boeing 747s lined up along with some other planes under the lights bye the hangar. It was a neat sight with seeing those 747s that were most likely at that time 100s and 200s. The Boeing 747-400 had not joined the Northwest fleet yet.
Of course as a kid that was always exciting to see what was sitting bye both hangars since it was around that time when planes that were not heading on west coast flights for the night, would be parked bye one of the two hangars for work.

isitsafenow

RE: Fun Avation Memories

Thu May 22, 2008 12:13 am

I have enough for a book. A standout is the multicolored fleet of Braniff International parked at the gates at MKC in
the summer of 1967 and me unloading the plane at gate 18. Was it a 720, 727-100QC, Electra, or BAC one11?
It wasnt a 340. Those were in red white and blue parked at 20.
safe

skygirl

Thu May 22, 2008 8:06 pm

Flying on Piedmont Airlines (real Piedmont) as a kid. I loved how all their planes had names. All pacemakers. I wish that more airlines named their planes these days. It made each plane special. I think I cried when Piedmont started operating as USAir.

UltimateDelta

Thu May 22, 2008 8:44 pm

My favorite memories were of the cockpit visits I made when I was 3 or something. I flew on TWA, Midwest Express, Delta and others, and at the end of each flight I would always insist on going to the cockpit and asking to look around. The pilots always agreed.
I also remember going to Eppley with my mother and brother and going down past security and watching planes from the restaurant and gate areas (This was all pre-9/11.). We'd sit there and look at all the aircraft of MidEx, Southwest, United, America West and all the others come in and leave and compete to see who could identify an incoming plane first. We'd just do this for several hours at a time. Now you have to have a ticket to get through security.  Sad At least the restaurant is still open for spotting. These were some of my best memories from when I was younger, but I have many more.

57AZ

Thu May 22, 2008 9:22 pm

Flying into DCA with our C414 pre-WTC. Tower would often have us shoot the approach to 18 and sidestep to 15 on short final, sending us right over the Pentagon at about 500 feet AGL. You could look right down into the courtyard.

BAViscount

Thu May 22, 2008 9:57 pm

Oh lord, too many to mention, but here are some just off the top of my head:

The main one has to be my first ever flight, on a BA Viscount LHR-GCI.

My first ever jet flight on a BA BAC1-11 JER-LHR some two weeks after my first ever flight.

Bunking off school, catching the train down to LGW and arriving at the viewing terrace just as Braniff's orange 747 touched down. That thing just looked so cool! But I can't believe that I was still wearing my school uniform that day and no one even questioned me!!

Seeing a Dan Air Comet take off from LGW in the late 70s. I think the Comets were retired from service shortly after that.

My first 747 flight, on Northwest Orient's LGW-BOS service in 1986. I couldn't get over how huge that thing was!

My first widebody flight, on a BCal DC10 charter flight, LGW-IBZ in 1984. The biggest aircraft I'd been on up till then was a 737-200. Looking across the plane and seeing a second aisle was amazing (I'm easily pleased!).

Seeing a BA VC10 do an aborted takeoff on LHR's 27L. The noise was deafening!

Being on the Queen's Building at LHR and seeing my first ever Concorde takeoff...again, the noise was deafening!

Flying into a New York area airport (EWR) for the first time on a Piedmont 727 flight from BWI. Seeing that skyline for the first time blew me away!

I'd always wanted to fly with the original Pan Am, and finally got my wish on their JFK-RDU-CLT-RDU-JFK route in the late 80s. OK, I'd been hoping to try out their 747's, but a 727 would do!

Watching SQ's A380 land at LHR for the first time was pretty special!

That's me done for now...

N867DA

Fri May 23, 2008 4:37 am

Two moments really come to mind.

May 14 1997. I was 9 years old, and my family and I were flying ATL-AMS-BOM on KLM. The ATL-AMS leg was on a good old MD-11. Somewhere over the North Atlantic, I asked the cabin crew if I could visit the cockpit. The FA said she would check. After about 15 minutes, she we could drop by the flight deck. We picked up another kid, and the FA let both of us in the cockpit. We must have been there for a good 30 minutes asking questions. I will never forget how happy I was for that half hour.

June 14 2003. I was flying VIE-CDG with a school tour group on an AF A320. The plane was 10 minutes from landing when the pilot announced that passengers sitting on the right side of the plane can see Concorde flying below us. I looked down, and sure enough...there it was. It was minuscule, but the shape was unmistakable. I took pictures of it w/ my film camera but they came out horrible. This is the exact same flight though:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Thierry ducros

PlymSpotter

Fri May 23, 2008 6:51 am

Walking out onto the sun drenched ramp at Mahon in Spain, to be greeted by the sight of two L1011s, three of more DC10s, a couple of Iberia B727s or DC9s, an Aviaco MadDog and it's little sister the F27 (or perhaps F50 by then?). Just ten years later and it's all busses and Boeings, with the occasional Dash/CRJ. How very boring...

Dan  Smile

nqyguy

Fri May 23, 2008 7:27 am

Watching Concorde do a flyby roughly over my old school, near FZO in 2003. Pure excitement.

JGPH1A

Fri May 23, 2008 12:02 pm

My very first memory is of boarding an IB Caravelle at EMA via the rear stairs - I do distinctly remember this, it was dark, and raining, and I'm being carried - according the my Dad I would have been about 3 at the time - 1969.

I remember working at JNB in the 80's, Fridays was the busy day, lots of carriers like OA, RG, TP only flew weekly or twice weekly, but always on a Friday. QZ, UM 707's, Tristars, DC10's, the Air Malawi VC10 to BLZ - great fun to watch.

Flying over Victoria Falls in a Piper Aztec - swooping in low over the Zambezi and seeing the hippos in the shallows.

Flying anti-SAM approaches into SAAF AFB Ondangwa in Namibia - descend to FL010 and spiral down tightly, with an Alouette flying around the airfield perimeter watching for insurgents ! I don't think they ever found any, but it was cool watching the Earth turning in a circle through the opposite window of the Hercules.

Flying circuits and bumps under the full moon, as a passenger on a training flight in a C172, Grootfontein, Namibia - the bush below shadowed, the hills in the distance gleaming.

First trip in the forward cabin of a 747 - I had seat 1K, JNB-LIS-FCO - the old Stratosleeper seats with the footrest that folded out manually from under the seat cushion.

Flying to HKG for the day to go shopping - JNB-MRU-HKG Friday, arrive HKG Saturday am, 8 hours in HKG shopping, HKG-MRU Saturday night, 8 hours on the beach getting sunburnt, MRU-JNB Sunday evening, blending in with the honeymooners to get my purchases through customs without paying duty ! Fun times.

Just seeing the old orange tail at the airport and knowing it was going home - from LHR, FRA, AMS, ORY, ZRH, MAD, FCO, HKG, GIG, JFK, MIA, TPE, wherever.

Concorde - JFK-LHR on the BA004, turning up at the Concorde entrance at T7 in a huge limo, being wafted into the (admittedly ghastly) Terence Conran Concorde lounge, blasting off, smoked salmony nibblies on the plane while the curvature of the Earth shimmered below, landing at LHR just over 3 hours after leaving JFK - fan-bloody-tastic.

Flying into Kulusuk, Greenland - circling over the icepack waiting for the clouds to clear over the airfield, descending between the mountain peaks and landing on the dirt runway, then continuing by helicopter over the fjords and glaciers to Ammasalik.

Islanders. Anywhere - just magic little planes to fly on, and always to some remote gravel strip surround by palm trees.

Seeing icebergs in the Southern Ocean, 2800km from the South Pole between MEL and JNB.

Standing on the aircraft steps at St John's, Newfoundland, during a transit stop en route LHR-YHZ - breathing in the fresh clean pine-scented air.

So many excellent memories.  Smile

EZEIZA

Fri May 23, 2008 2:29 pm

Flying in the old 747 IB First class back in the 1980's. I was 5 years old but I still remember they had a living room in the upper deck, with couches, etc.

But my favourite memory of all time happened in Italy. I was about the same age, but I remember that they let me in the cockpit and the captain told me to push some button (hey, this was 26 years ago, don't expect me to remembet THAT much Big grin ) and the plane turned to the left (I think). I then raced down the aisle (this part is what my mom told me) yelling "I flew the plane!" ... lol, I guess there were a few scared people there  Wink
btw, I think the flight was a short TRS-LIN (DC-9?)

regards  Smile

UltimateDelta

Fri May 23, 2008 5:18 pm

I also remember on a MidEx flight from OMA to DCA when I was four a flight attendant asked me to come to the cockpit to check it out. I was there for maybe half an hour and the captain was rather astonished that I knew the answers to a lot of the questions other kids asked him. That was one of the best experiences of my life. Sadly, I've never gotten to do that again. (big sigh)

sprout5199

Fri May 23, 2008 9:16 pm

I remember in 1976 when I was ten taking a trip with my parents to England/Scotland. On the trip back seeing the Concorde at the gate when we were boarding our BA 747 for MIA.

Dan in Jupiter

Scooter01

Fri May 23, 2008 10:02 pm

It would be hard to chose from:

-When my dad arranged to have a Bell 47 helicopter land at my kindergarten sometime in the mid 50s..

-When he got a SAS bus to take all the kids in the kindergarten to the airport (FBU) and we all boarded a SAS DC-4 or DC-6 and had our lunches on board the plane..

-Getting a ride on one of the huge EUCLID dump-trucks carrying mass for land-fill during the construction of the 06-24 runway at FBU. Those things had no suspension at all, and I can remember bouncing up and down all over the place..

-Running across the southern part of runway 19-01 to get to a great viewing-spot after the new runway was taken in use...

-Sitting on the balcony under the tower at FBU and watching airplanes for hours... -and getting to know most of the guys working there..

-First time I succeeded in begging a ride on a Cessna 180..

-Sitting on the jumpseat of a PanAm 747 from before Londonderry and all the way down into Heathrow...

-First time I saw the CNE airshow in '73..

-Being a passenger in a CHALK Mallard in '83, taking off and landing on water...

-and a lot more I don't want to bore you with...

Scooter01  biggrin 

-