bcoz
Topic Author

Best Transatlantic Y Service

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:33 pm

While I've racked up a decent amount of miles flying domestically in the United States, rarely have I flown outside our borders. In my almost 29 years, I've done it only three times (once when I was three on EI from JFK to SNN and on to DUB, once on the inaugurall CLE-LGW CO flight, and once to YUL... which doesn't really count).

This fall, I have the opportunity to head to AMS from either MKE or ORD.

I don't have the miles or the spare cash to upgrade to business or first...

So my question is.... Who offers the best Y service across the pond? I'm more than willing to connect somewhere else in Europe to get to AMS... And I'll fly just about any carrier. I just want my long-haul Y flight to be, for lack of a better term, "the best that it can be."

Thoughts are always welcome.

bcoz

CALMSP

RE: Best Transatlantic Y Service

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:36 pm

do you have the miles to upgrade one way?? if you can do that i would do it on the return flight.

DocLightning

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:37 pm

I think BA is really good. I always fly them when I need to cross the pond. No, they aren't perfect, but they're certainly better than any U.S. carrier. I've heard VS is really great, too.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

extspotter

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:41 pm

Stay away from most US carriers (CO is the exception), EI can be risky as they have got a small longhaul fleet and everything goes down the pan when one goes tech. Not SAS, Austrian and Finnair for a similar reason. Don't go anywhere near Olympic or Alitalia. The product isn't great on Malev and CSA so I would avoid them also. KL, LH, VS, LX or AF would be reasonable choices. If you are strongly OW, I would choose BA over AA, however neither are fantastic.

[Edited 2008-06-01 14:43:21]
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

enginebird

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:44 pm

BA has a pretty good Y product, but London Heathrow is a pain, same goes for Air France and Paris CDG. KLM is fine as are Lufthansa (if you don't depend on an IFE) and Swiss.

I would avoid Iberia, Alitalia and SAS, and of course all American carriers, which are just not up to BA's/AF's/LH's/KL's standard.

Have a good flight.

gilesdavies

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Well you are limiting yourself quite a bit if you want to fly on the "best" Trans-Atlantic service, but not willing to connect in Europe...

Without me meaning to sound like I am knocking the US carriers, the product is generally more superior with the European airlines - with the exception of one and that is KLM who operate coincidently into AMS! I find KLM's product very basic and dated, and lacks what other carriers offer.

I think if you was willing to connect in Europe and fly economy Virgin Atlantic would be your best choice as they offer great IFE and very good food. Also offer free alcholic beverages which is becoming a rarity now. However their service can vary widely, some of their crew are exceptional and others are just OK...

Of the US carriers I would probably go with Northwest, as you will be flying on their new(ish) A330's which also have great IFE, and comfy seats, while food and service is no diiferent to the others...

I have never flown CO, but I hear good reports at times about them (service wise)... If you choose the later departing flights to AMS from EWR you will get a 767-200/400 (varies on dfferent days) and these are very modern aircraft with PTV's in Y. Otherwise the other flight is a 757...

Delta and US both operate their ageing 767's to AMS and IFE will be lacking in Y and service is run of the milll... The choice is yours. Obviously these are my opinions and other people care to correct me!

Viscount724

Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:03 pm

Since it sounds like you are near ORD and your destination is AMS, I would use KL. Being able to fly nonstop would far outweigh any minor service differences if the alternative required a connection. You'll also save 2 or 3 hours compared to a connection and reduce the chance of delays and baggage gettng lost.

In my experience there's little signiicant difference in Y class service on all the major European carriers, and the European carriers are generally better than U.S. carriers in Y class, for example most European carriers still provide free alcoholic drinks in Y class which is rare on U.S.carriers. If not mistaken NW is the only major U.S. carrier with free alcohol in Y class to/from Europe, for consistency with their alliance partner KL.

gilesdavies

Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:05 pm

Sorry... I misread! YOU ARE WILLING TO CONNECT IN EUROPE!!!

Even though I said Virgin previously, LHR (Britains joke of an airport) can be nightmare to connect at and would avoid if you can...

I would have suggest flying British Midland (BMI), on their LAS/ORD-MAN service. But they offer no connections from MAN.

Lufthansa are good option, but would recommend flying to their Munich hub as it is an awesome airport and a breeze to conenct at. Also they have upgraded the IFE on their Airbus long haul fleet and offer an all round good service.

Never flown Swiss, but heard good reports of them...

Connecting through Dublin is very straight forward and easy, but Air Lingus does not offer a great service across the Altantic and flights within Europe are totally LCC with not even free drinks. Comes as a shock for American's connecting through there...

TrijetsRMissed

Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:41 am

I suggest you're best off going with one of the big four European carriers. (LH, BA, AF, or KL.) I've heard good things about VS too. And for equipment, you'll be guaranteed a quad which is nice. Personally, I took KL ORD-AMS last year. Friendly service, good meals, free alcohol and a refurbished cabin with new seats. The only drawback was the overhead CRTs for IFE.

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 5):
I find KLM's product very basic and dated, and lacks what other carriers offer.

That is only the 744M fleet. All other long haul types have or will soon have AVOD.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

LHboyatDTW

Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:19 am

MKE-DTW-AMS and return.

Why connect in Europe? NW offers a good product to AMS. Furthermore DTW has numerous flights to/from AMS (about 5-6x daily) apart from being an easy place to connect compared to ORD.

Apart from the NW A330s (and a few 757/744s) you also have the option of flying a KL 777 out of DTW. I have flown both the NW A330 and the KL 777.

KL's IFE is better, but NW's seats on the A330 are more comfortable. It's a US carrier, but it seriously seemed better than some of my LH flights.

You get quantity by the several frequencies between DTW and AMS along with a fair number to MKE. On top of that, you are given approximately a 90% chance of AVOD IFE. I don't know how you can get better than that.

[Edited 2008-06-01 21:31:28]
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

CHRISBA777ER

Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:05 pm

Try 9W JFK-BRU - they have the best y-class product of any airline, apart from possibly EY and the newest SQ birds (77W, A388). IFE is AVOD, generous pitch, comfy seats and genuinely excellent food. Service is top drawer as well.

MKE-JFK with AA and then 9W to BRU. BRU-AMS is a Fokker 50 of VLM or KLM or a two hour trip on the train - very easy and dirt cheap.

I would say 9W has the best Y class offering across the pond IMHO.

VS and BA are not far off, BD out of MAN are excellent (ORD and IAD i think) and I think AF/KL are pretty good too.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

falstaff

Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:07 pm

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 9):
Why connect in Europe? NW offers a good product to AMS. Furthermore DTW has numerous flights to/from AMS (about 5-6x daily) apart from being an easy place to connect compared to ORD

NW has a nice TATL product on the A330. I found Y on that service is better than NW domestic F.

I can't speak about the 744 as I have not flown on one. I will be flying a NW 744 next month when I go DTW-AMS.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

CAP2008

Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:44 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 11):
I will be flying a NW 744 next month when I go DTW-AMS.

If you're going in Y you really should try to standby for the earlier 333 flight, trust me the 333 is SO much better to fly on than the 744. The 744's basically have the same cabin(shitty blue seats)as the domestic narrow bodies, only with video screens in the aisles, no PTV's. The 75A has new seats in Y, but still dosen't have PTV's. Trust me, take the 330.
The mother of the last KC-135 pilot has yet to be born.

goldorak

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:03 pm

AF without hesitation. From ORD, it's a nice A343, much quieter that the 777 (although I like the 777  Wink

krje1980

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:24 am

If possible, you might want to see if you can get tickets on SQ's JFK - FRA flight, and then connect to AMS on LH. A bit of an awkward route if you're departing from ORD, but I honestly can not think of any carrier providing better service across the Atlantic than SQ.

Jakobsen74

Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:37 pm

I just been across the atlantic twic in Y on Swiss (CPH-ZRH-LAX-ZRH-CPH) and they have a rather good produkt. So do Air France, that I just flew to MIA (HAM-CDG-MIA-CDG-HAM). I would say that those two are pretty identical and food and service were pretty even. The crew was very helpfull, and the AF crew was very good at helping my children.

Regards

AirCop

Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:04 pm

I suppose the first question should have been; who are your miles with?

sw733

Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:28 pm

I've enjoyed: British Airways, Air France, Swiss, and SAS. KLM, UA aren't bad either.

I've disliked: Lufthansa, Iberia, Aer Lingus (transatlantic; inside Europe has been fine).

There are others too but they are more...out of the way (i.e. Alitalia, LOT, Austrian)

copenhagenboy

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:31 pm

Funny how different experience people have with the same airline, IF they have flown them?
Well I would say if you can, fly direct, it is almost always the best. e.
I have been over the pond some times, but only on limited carriers, SAS, Lufthansa, Austrian and Swiss. Of these I would prefer SAS, Austaian and Swiss although I have been positive surpriced on Lufthansa too. For me the most importance is what seat I get and not get stocked in the middle of a four seated row. Also consider how much legroom you will get on the different airlines. Just my 2 cents .

plateman

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:59 pm

Had a great transatlantic on Virgin. Good food, friendly, great IFE.
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

laca773

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:11 am

My choices:
1. AF
2. SR
3. LH & OS
4. BA ( would be tied for #1 with AF but forget about LHR).
5. KL
6 SK
7. IB
8 AZ

LHR27C

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Quoting Enginebird (Reply 4):
BA has a pretty good Y product, but London Heathrow is a pain

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 7):
LHR (Britains joke of an airport) can be nightmare to connect at and would avoid if you can...

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 20):
4. BA ( would be tied for #1 with AF but forget about LHR).

To all the people saying avoid LHR at all costs, don't forget a JFK-LHR-AMS connection with BA will now be entirely in T5, which is a very pleasant experience and miles ahead of the rest of LHR, and indeed plenty of other European airports.
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

rwsea

Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:12 pm

I'd pick NW. Great A330s with AVOD. Plus it's an easy connection from MKE or ORD through DTW. If not DTW, I'd go with KL. BA, LH, AF, etc. are good, but not good enough to go out of your way or have to deal with LHR, CDG, or FRA.

Viscount724

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:06 pm

Quoting LHR27C (Reply 21):
To all the people saying avoid LHR at all costs, don't forget a JFK-LHR-AMS connection with BA will now be entirely in T5, which is a very pleasant experience and miles ahead of the rest of LHR, and indeed plenty of other European airports.

That still doesn't solve the problem of frequent LHR delays due to it operating at virtually 100% of capacity all the time, with arriving flights often being put into holding patterns for varying periods up to half an hour or so. That rarely happens at other major European hubs unless there's something unusual like severe weather etc. When you're going around in circles you start worrying about missing your connection. I've also had more checked bags go astray when connecting at LHR than at any other airport. Fortunately they all turned up, sometimes a couple of days later.

LHR27C

Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:39 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 23):
That still doesn't solve the problem of frequent LHR delays due to it operating at virtually 100% of capacity all the time, with arriving flights often being put into holding patterns for varying periods up to half an hour or so. That rarely happens at other major European hubs unless there's something unusual like severe weather etc. When you're going around in circles you start worrying about missing your connection.

Actually BA's punctuality stats have increased significantly since they moved into T5, and of course the minimum connection time has been decreased. Essentially delays at LHR have two main causes: runway capacity and ground congestion/handling etc. While doing nothing to solve the former, T5 has virtually eliminated the latter (for BA at least).
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

burnsie28

Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:21 pm

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 9):
KL 777 out of DTW.

It goes to a 777 in July and back to an A332 in November, he said this fall so it could fall under either category.

I have had great experiences with NW Y service, I also have connected in Europe and find it much easier and quicker to connect in the US than in Europe. MKE-MSP/DTW-AMS is a great route to take.

irobertson

Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:22 pm

I've been across in Skyservice and Air Transat, and for the price you pay, AT isn't bad at all. I'm going to LHR on an AC 773ER here in two weeks and we'll see what that's like. I'm told that KLM MD-11s from YUL-AMS are fantastic. Dutch flight attendants are the best!  Silly

YULYMX

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:17 pm

AF the temp class is very good Been on A343 and B772 and even in Y you can have free champagne... real Champagne...

AA737-823

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:34 am

I have, in the past month, had a very good experience on KLM. The 747-400M was a fairly nice ride, albeit without PTV's. The A330 was fantastic- I'm by no means an Airbus fan, but KLM's birds are quite nice.
The best thing, though, was the cabin crew. Not only were they young and cute (something we've lost here Stateside), but very professional and friendly.
Overall, I would recommend KLM.

I also like Continental, but haven't flown them across the Pond.

L410Turbolet

Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:55 am

Quoting Goldorak (Reply 13):
AF without hesitation. From ORD, it's a nice A343, much quieter that the 777

But then you have to land/connect in CDG and any good impression will be ruined even if you are lucky and there is no strike...

I'd go for LX or KL.

[Edited 2008-06-20 04:57:47]

AirAmericaC46

Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:11 pm

The best is number 1:

1. 9W JFK-Brussels
2. QR JFK-Geneva
3. SQ JFK-Frankfurt
4. MH EWR-Stockholm

davehammer

Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:05 am

Any of the European's really as from ORD it'll be one change wherever you are. I've enjoyed BA, VS and AF. Really though it depends on who your miles are with as to the best option.

As far as LHR goes if its a T5 only transfer it'll be fine. Even T4 to T5 is meant to be okay. Also I know of LHR's reputation but for the last 8 flights through there I've not been delayed more than 5 mins.