CXfirst
Topic Author

What Do You Always Forget?

Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:02 pm

So, what do you always forget to pack when out on a trip???

I always forget my cell phone/PDA charger. It is really annoying. It's an HP iPAQ, so finding chargers for them is not that easy, and battery life is not too good either. There are so many times where I've been gone and am unable to use my cell phone. It is also where I store registration numbers before I get them on my laptop. I could always write them down, but that brings up the annoying hassle of finding pen and paper.

-CXfirst

Elite

RE: What Do You Always Forget?

Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:16 pm

Maybe some things such as a comb, facial cream, or toothpaste. Nothing that can't be replaced easily. I usually check my luggage a few times and make a list of things that I need to bring and check it off. Especially since I usually go on long trips (over a month).

One hint is to pack it straight away if you remember it... for example if you need to pack a rain jacket, and you think of it, go and pack it now. Otherwise later you will forget and you will end up not bringing it. Experience tells me I need to do it immedietley.

mauiman31

Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:58 pm

If anything -- a toiletry item I use. . . My worst was one time for a week long trip, I opened my case that night in the hotel and found no underwear or socks. . .(that is what I get for packing on the fly at 3 a.m.) -- sorry, just can't go "commando" in a biz suit, so an unexpected shopping excursion.

RAFVC10

Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:06 pm

I always forget in home the patience with the security checks at any airport in the world.

It's ridiculous to make an striptease before to ride in a plane.

Someday, I will learn to take trains or to use video conference before to take any plane.

Regards,

Gerard
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

andz

Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:14 pm

I usually forget to put an out of office on my email or change the message on my phone. Other than that, I've never forgotten anything important.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

NWADC9

Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:07 pm

I forget the occasional article of clothing or something from my destination. A checklist solved that problem  Smile
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

staralliance38

Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:36 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Thread starter):
It's an HP iPAQ

Hmmm.....Do I see some irony right there?

I seem to forget tolietries the most. However, I remember when I went to Florida on a road trip and I forgot my backpack at a reletives house. we had to wait 20 minutes for them to come over and drive the backpack over and when they got there, I realized I forgot my cell as well! They just sent it over  Smile
Roar, lion, roar

Leskova

Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:45 pm

Power-Plug adaptors...

I have about 3 or 4 adaptors for Switzerland and 2 or 3 for the UK... and I keep having to buy new ones, because I regularly forget to take one of them with me whenever I need to go to one of those countries.
Smile - it confuses people!

HT

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:01 pm

Although I prepare a list of items to pack, there sometimes is one item I forgot.
2 weeks ago when I went to Spitsbergen, I had everything packed including my jacket. I prefer to travel light and I figured that there was no need for a jacket during my flights from HAJ via CPH to OSL.
On my way to the airport I stopped at a supermarket to buy some more candies and chocolates (things that are pretty expensive in Norway) and stuffed them into my suitcase.

Arriving in Oslo, I opened my suitcase and there was no jacket on top !!
I was in serious doubt whether someone had broken into that suitcase while being checked with the airline (incl. security personnell) or if my jacket was still in my car's trunk parked at HAJ.
In any case, I had to go shopping in Oslo for a new jacket in size XXL before continuing my trip to Spitsbergen.

Arriving back at my home airport, there was my jacket still lying in the trunk of my car ...
 banghead   banghead   banghead 
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

ipilot777

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:43 am

Well, I usually never forget anything, anywhere! I've never forgotten anything pre-flight until now. But I've forgotten my sunglasses in my seat after landing, before departing from the aircraft! Its happened twice and both the times on F class.
Live Life In The Sky!!!

ACDC8

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:45 am

I usually pack the night before a long trip and double check it on the way to the airport, but for some reason I always end up forgetting something minor like a toothbrush, razor or some clothing items I was planning on taking.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Tolmachevo

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:46 am

Was in BUD recently with my guy and it was hot so our jackets went straight into the closet at the hotel...and stayed there...as my grandmother says when using hotels.."never use the closet!!!" Only noticed when we got back to MUC- "did we did bring jackets with us?" We got them delivered by UPS.. Apart from that often forget my toothbrush as brushing my teeth is the last thing I usually do before I leave. Thank god up to now nothing important like passport or wallets.

deltairlines

Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:08 pm

I would always forget a comb when traveling. So, to create a solution to this problem, I took a comb, stuck it in my briefcase (takes up no room in there) and that way I never forget my comb now. Real easy solution.

Maverick623

Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:32 pm

I usually wind up leaving something behind on the way home... shampoo seems to be number one on that list.

Oh, and a pen. I fly internationally often enough, but I always forget to bring something to fill out the arrivals card with.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

FlyboyOz

Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:57 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 13):

Oh, and a pen. I fly internationally often enough, but I always forget to bring something to fill out the arrivals card with.

Haha...well, you don't need to bring a pen. You can always ask cabin crew to give you a pen. You can either keep it or borrow it. I like to collect airlines pens.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

Maverick623

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:13 pm

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 14):
Haha...well, you don't need to bring a pen. You can always ask cabin crew to give you a pen.

I'm a guy. Asking for help in any way, shape, or form is shameful. Especially when non-revving!
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

greggarious

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:29 pm

My passport... ALWAYS!!!  banghead 

deltairlines

Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:12 am

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 14):
Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 13):

Haha...well, you don't need to bring a pen. You can always ask cabin crew to give you a pen. You can either keep it or borrow it. I like to collect airlines pens.

Another thing I keep in my briefcase.

I've got a little pocket in my briefcase that has the following:
Pens (at least two colors)
Headphones (I'm in First Class enough to get a ton of the cheap airplane headphones and those are small enough to keep in there)
iPod
Box of mints
Keys (I've got a little strap that I can hook my keys onto when traveling)
Voice recorder (I'm a former journalist - can't go anywhere without it)

Elite

Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:19 am

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 16):
My passport... ALWAYS!!!

That's why you check to have it before you leave the house and maybe again when you're in the car :P

andz

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:29 am

Actually now that I read this thread I did forget something once... I was in Barcelona and stayed at the Hilton. I was in the queue to board my flight to London when I remembered I had left my cap on top of the TV in the hotel room. I went to a pay phone and called the hotel who said they would send it to me. I thought I would never see it again but a couple of weeks later I received a package at work, compliments of the hotel. They had even padded the packaging to ensure it didn't get bent out of shape.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Elite

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:43 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 19):

Wow - true 5 star service!

JGPH1A

Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:44 am

I always forget something, usually something trivial like phone charger or a towel or something like that. One time I left my laptop in the office, I got to the airport en route to Kazakhstan, got to security and was asked "Do you have a laptop" - Yes, I says, and go to get it out of the bag, and bugger me, it's not there. PANICCCC !!! All my presentations and notes, everything was on there - I had about an hour till the flight left, but it was late afternoon and everyone in the office would have gone home. I just started phoning anyone I could think of who might be in the office - luckily I found one of my colleages who found it, jumped in his car and drove it down to the airport for me, with 20 minutes to spare. That episode took about 10 years off my life !

I have left my camera in various places (AA check-in at LHR T3, on board an Ansett A320, in a hotel, in the hire car), but I've always got it back.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

PHXmd80

Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:59 pm

I usually forget to grab the inflight magazine when arriving to my destination. However, i always remember it when landing back in PHX.

PHXmd80

BAViscount

Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:22 am

Thankfully I very rarely forget anything - making sure I've got everything that I need is the most stressful part of my travels, so generally I get it right. However...on a recent trip to Turkey I managed to leave the charger for my DSLR camera battery at home. Bear in mind that the main reason for my trip was photography! I was so convinced that there was no way I could have left the charger at home that I double and triple checked my luggage, but to no avail. When I got home, there was the charger sitting smugly on the arm of the sofa!

Luckily I'd taken my emergency point-and-shoot camera with me, so was able to use that once the battery ran out of charge!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

greggarious

Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:34 am

Quoting Elite (Reply 18):

Ha ha... kidding!  Silly

Seriously, I tend to forget that I can't take my ultra mega venti caramel macchiato through security after I buy it... true story.

JGPH1A

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:53 am

Quoting Elite (Reply 18):
That's why you check to have it before you leave the house and maybe again when you're in the car :P

As demonstrated by the ancient Mantra of the Weary Traveller:

"Passports, tickets, wallet, keys, passports, tickets, wallet, keys..." as recited since time immemorial when leaving the house on a long journey, and when leaving any subsequent stopping place along the way.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

HT

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:02 am

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 16):
My passport... ALWAYS!!!   

Ah, that reminds me of an incident I almost had forgotten:
Anout two years ago I spent a few days on the island of Mallorca and as usual (at this hotel at least) they kept my passport when checking in. I forgot to pick it up the in the next days as there was no need to carry it around with me.

I was early at the airport and was checking in well before I planned to return my car, when I realized that my passport was still in the hotel. Checkin with the airline was no problem as I used my ID-card after which I made a beeline back to the hotel (located in Playa de Palma, so it was a short drive) to pick up my passport from reception ...

Quoting HT (Reply 8):
I had to go shopping in Oslo for a new jacket in size XXL before continuing my trip to Spitsbergen.

For the record: Temperatures in Spitsbergen hovered around freezing, so there was a sure need for that jacket !
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

HAWK21M

Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:28 am

Toothbrush & paste..... Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

TLG

Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:54 pm

My wife has checklists for almost everything, including going on a trip, whether by plane or by ground. I very seldom forget anything, and never something I MUST have, but if I do I just stop at the Wal-Mart Supercenter I go past on the way to the airport and get whatever I need.

-TLG

BAViscount

Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:17 am

Quoting HT (Reply 26):
For the record: Temperatures in Spitsbergen hovered around freezing, so there was a sure need for that jacket !

Agreed! I made sure I took one when I went there...and I went in August!! Big grin
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

FlyboyOz

Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:58 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 27):
Toothbrush & paste....

Doesn't airline give you free amentity kits?? no need to bring them but need to bring paste. lol

I forgot to bring batteries and charger for my video camera...it's quite annoyed
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

PlymSpotter

Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:51 pm

I don't think I constantly forget the same certain thing over and over again, normally I'm pretty organised and have set places about my clothing for each important item (passport, wallet, keys, mobile etc...) to be, so that all I have to do is reach to that pocket to know that the item is still there.

I've only once forgotten my passport, or rather forgotten that I didn't have a passport at the time; I handed it in to the Chinese Embassy in London for a visa and then rode the train back home, which took forever, so on the way back up I though I'd fly instead... forgetting of course that I didn't have my main form of photo ID! Luckily though the airline accepted my bank card as ID, which was a nice relief.

A few times I have lost things for good whilst travelling; left my phone once in a SAS MD87 at CPH... never saw that one again, I've lost my wallet once in GVA when I left it on a seat and walked off forgetting about it... never saw that again and I left my diary in a Philippine Airlines B732... again, never saw that again.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...