Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ALexeu
Topic Author

How Do You Count A Flight?

Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:06 pm

1. If you fly from point A to point B and have a fuel stop in point B (fuel stop is less then 1 hour and without leaving the airplane), would you say that you had 2 flights or only 1 ?
I would count 2 flights.

2. If you only took-off and immediately landed, would you say that you have flown on that certain aircraft? What about taxiing?

In another words, how do you constitute a flight?

Regards, Alex

falstaff

RE: How Do You Count A Flight?

Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:14 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Thread starter):
1. If you fly from point A to point B and have a fuel stop in point B (fuel stop is less then 1 hour and without leaving the airplane), would you say that you had 2 flights or only 1 ?
I would count 2 flights.

I would count it as one.

I count it as two if the plane changes or I can get off and walk around.

2. If you only took-off and immediately landed, would you say that you have flown on that certain aircraft? What about taxiing?

Yes I would count it. It flew and I was on it, so it counts. Taxing around doesn't count because it wasn't flying.

A flight is a take off and landing. It doesn't have to be a point A to point B thing. Flying around sightseeing and landing again at the same airport later in the day is still a flight. It is fuel used, time in the air, time on the plane, etc.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

BAViscount

Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 1):
I would count 2 flights.

I would count it as one.

A flight is a take off and landing.

Doesn't that mean that you would count the first example as two flights?? Personally, a flight for me is a take-off, some in-air time and a landing, so making a fuel stop (or any kind of stop) on a single journey would mean I had made two flights.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

deltairlines

Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:50 pm

A flight is a take off and landing. It doesn't have to be a point A to point B thing. Flying around sightseeing and landing again at the same airport later in the day is still a flight. It is fuel used, time in the air, time on the plane, etc.

That's how I see it. 1 take off 1 touchdown = 1 flight. Thus, if it's a direct flight (ie, GSO-ATL-PHX, same flight number/plane), I still count it as two flights. Or another case of mine was when I was on a flight with an emergency landing (was on ATL-LAS, had a medical emergency and diverted to ABQ). That counted as two flights in my book.

JGPH1A

Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:55 pm

I would count 2 flights.

1 flight = 1 embarkation, 1 disembarkation. If the plane stops en-route, it's still only one flight.
Unless it's a change of guage, in which case you can count it as two, because at one of the enroute stops you had to get off one plane and board another. Disembarking and re-boarding the same aircraft doesn't count.

Same flight number, same plane is 1 flight regardless of how many en-route stops.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ALexeu
Topic Author

Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:56 pm

What about parachuting? If you jump of the plane, there is no plane landing, so how would you count it?

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 4):
1 flight = 1 embarkation, 1 disembarkation

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 4):
Same flight number, same plane is 1 flight regardless of how many en-route stops.

This is how the airline sees it, in order not to confuse pax and to be simple, but for us it's 2 flights  Smile

PlymSpotter

Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:08 pm

A flight with a stop might count as only one flight, but I count it as two sectors. Generally, any period of intentional flight (i.e. not counting bounces on landing) is a sector in my book.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

BAViscount

Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:12 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 5):
What about parachuting? If you jump of the plane, there is no plane landing, so how would you count it?

I'd count that as a waste of a good flight!  Wink

Seriously though, personally I'd count that as one flight. I may not have come back down to earth on the plane, but I would have taken off, flown a bit and come back down to earth again, probably albeit painfully (knowing my luck) and on the verge of a coronary, but there would still be a landing of sorts!!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

staralliance38

Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:37 pm

I call a flight one departure and one landing. Fuel stops under the same number is just a proceeding flight. For example:

I flew NWA flight X from DTW-KIX with proceeding service to MNL. So:

DTW-KIX: NWA X
KIX-MNL: NWA X+1

Also, when connecting in DTW one other time, the flight announcement was NWA X with service to Tokyo with proceeding service to Manila.
Roar, lion, roar

UltimateDelta

Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:33 pm

As long as the plane changes, I count it as two flights. Back in the late 90s, my family sometimes flew YX from OMA to DCA with a stop in MCI. I counted this as one flight because we stayed on the same plane the whole time.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

ALexeu
Topic Author

Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:57 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 6):
is a sector in my book

That's what I was asking for. How many sectors in my flightstat should I add ! I will have a 50 minutes fuel stop, but I will count it as 2 flights.

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 7):
I may not have come back down to earth on the plane

Who gives a crap if you didn't get out of the plane, cause it's still 2 flights ! 2 take-offs/landings, climbs etc.
I will also count that as a visit to a new country even though I will not disembark.

Cheers, Alex

JGPH1A

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:16 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 10):
Who gives a crap if you didn't get out of the plane, cause it's still 2 flights ! 2 take-offs/landings, climbs etc.

Unless you're a pilot, that's just one flight. You got on in one place, and got off in another. The number of times the plane hit the ground in between is irrelevant.

I will also count that as a visit to a new country even though I will not disembark.

That is permitted, but only in places that you wouldn't otherwise be caught dead in. Like Cleveland. Or Wales.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ACDC8

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:30 pm

Shouldn't that read Point A to Point B with a fuel stop in Point C?  Big grin I would consider that 1 flight with a tech stop, so I would write it down as an example .... YVR - (YYC) - YYZ.

If the plane leaves the ground, I consider it a flight. Even if its just a 15 minute scenic flight on an AN-2, I was in the air for 15 minutes so I have flown on an AN-2.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

BAViscount

Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:34 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 7):
I may not have come back down to earth on the plane

Charming!! I'm not entirely sure that you read my response properly!

Sorry, just read things again and it appears that I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick! I still stand by the fact that a takeoff and landing is considered a "flight", regardless of how the airlines see it! Big grin

[Edited 2008-06-07 15:54:22]

ALexeu
Topic Author

Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 12):
Shouldn't that read Point A to Point B with a fuel stop in Point C?

Yep, I hope it didn't make confusion here  banghead 

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 13):
Charming!! I'm not entirely sure that you read my response properly!

I should have used ''one'' instead of ''you''. Big grin

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 13):
I still stand by the fact that a takeoff and landing is considered a "flight", regardless of how the airlines see it!

I agree  airplane 

Hope to get more replies on this, as I am sure many a.nutters wondered about it.

Cheers, Alex

Rockinflyer

Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:58 pm

If it has one continuous flight number regardless of stops without changing planes, I count it as one flight. But, thats just me.
AA,AC,AF,BA,BN,BW,CO,DL,FL,F9,HA,KL,NA,PA,RW,TW,UA,WA,WN