Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

skywatch
Topic Author

Question About ZRH

Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:09 am

I have a flight coming up from DEL-ZRH-ORD, with the stop in ZRH lasting from 6:20 to 15:35. That being said, is that enough time to leave the airport for a while to take a look around? And if so, what is close-by that is worth looking at? I am completely unfamiliar with the area. Is there a good, fast transit system linking the airport with the city? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

swiftski

RE: Question About ZRH

Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:39 am

There's a train to the centre every 10 mins; takes 10 mins.

Fiatstilojtd

Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:00 am

Quoting Skywatch (Thread starter):
Is there a good, fast transit system linking the airport with the city?

To seriously ask that question about a city in SWITZERLAND is blasphemy !  Wink. They have the best and most punctual railway system in the world.

Enjoy your short stop in Zurich or surrounding areas.  bigthumbsup 

SOBHI51

Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:25 am

You early arrival to ZRH is your main problem.Shops do not open till 9.00 am or 9.30.If i was there i will take the train as above to the train station enjoy a typical Swiss breakfast do not miss the chocolate watch people getting to work and then go window shopping.Beware prices in Switzerland are high.Zurich mainly is a German language city.Geneva is French.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

HT

Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:32 am

stop in ZRH lasting from 6:20 to 15:35. That being said, is that enough time to leave the airport for a while to take a look around?

Definitely YES.

And if so, what is close-by that is worth looking at?

Downtown Zürich. Take the train to Central Station (Hauptbahnhof), then stroll down (direction South) the famous shopping street (pedestrian area in many stretches) "Bahnhofstrasse" until you hit the shores of Lake Zürich. If time permits, take a short cruise on the lake. Return to the station along the river Limmat.

If weather is unfavourable, spend your time at the airport and head for the Visitors Terrace as soon as it opens. Tours of the apron are available. On Wednesdays and on Weekends, there are also tours to Dock E (aka. Dock Midfield), but keep an eye on timings for this one.
Tours start from within the Visitors Terrace.

Is there a good, fast transit system linking the airport with the city?

Apart from the train you can also use the combination of tram and bus to get from/to the airport. Will take much longer, but will offer extra views.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

skywatch
Topic Author

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:11 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 3):
You early arrival to ZRH is your main problem.Shops do not open till 9.00 am or 9.30.If i was there i will take the train as above to the train station enjoy a typical Swiss breakfast do not miss the chocolate watch people getting to work and then go window shopping.Beware prices in Switzerland are high.Zurich mainly is a German language city.Geneva is French.

Shouldn't be a problem, as customs will probably take up quite a bit of the first hour or two.

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 1):
There's a train to the centre every 10 mins; takes 10 mins.

Good to know!

I got on to Google Transit and found the line: S16. Thanks for the pointers! I am looking foward to my brief, but wonderful visit in Zurich. I have never set foot in Europe before, so this should be a treat.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

AntonovA330

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:08 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 3):
Shops do not open till 9.00 am or 9.30

It depends on what youre looking for. Most open between 8 and 9.

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 5):
I got on to Google Transit and found the line: S16. Thanks for the pointers! I am looking foward to my brief, but wonderful visit in Zurich. I have never set foot in Europe before, so this should be a treat.

Indeed, the S16 takes you there. But there are also many nonstop express trains. You won't have any problems getting to the city.
Zürich isn't a vast city so you'll get a nice impression of the city during your (short) stay. Have a nice and save trip!
Good day to you sir! Please turn left, your seat is in the first row.

sandrozrh

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:14 am

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 5):

Shouldn't be a problem, as customs will probably take up quite a bit of the first hour or two.

You might be surprised how quick immigration can be here as opposed to the US, since we don't bombard you with stupid things like fingerprinting and stuff  Wink I don't think immigration will take any longer than 30mins at max, personally i've never waited more than 10mins.

As for Zurich, almost everything has been said.

Quoting AntonovA330 (Reply 6):

Indeed, the S16 takes you there. But there are also many nonstop express trains. You won't have any problems getting to the city.

You can also take the S2, but if you want to check out the Main Station, i suggest you take the S16 or any of the highspeed trains because the S2 stops in a relatively remote place at the Main station.

Just a few hints for your train travel. I suggest you buy a return ticket to Zurich downtown at the airport, since it will be valid for 24 hours from time of purchase and it will allow you to use all public transport in downtown Zurich (Busses, Trams, Boats, Trains). Cost should be about CHF10-12.-

Also, if you run out of idea with plenty of time left, you could check out the University district up the hill, and take a ride on the "Polybahn" from Central Square. It'll give you a nice view over the city from the University. There's also the Üetliberg which offers wonderful views of tzhe city, but I don't think you'll have time for that. I'm sure there's a lot more to do, but i can't think of anything else right now Big grin

Enjoy your visit!