DIA
Topic Author

Roughest U.S. Runways In-Use

Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:14 pm

I was just recalling taking-off in a DC-9-30 from MSP to EWR a few years back...remembering how darn bumpy the runway was. Can't recall which runway it was, though.

Made me wonder if anybody knows of unusually rough runways that are active in the U.S.
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

PiedmontINT

RE: Roughest U.S. Runways In-Use

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Runway 14/32 that is used for crosswinds usually has got to be the roughest I have ever experienced. That thing is in really bad shape, the surface is like that cheap and rough coarse blacktop used in old strip mall parking lots that seems like would shred tires and have potholes in it left and right. And its also really uneven and hilly. As you are hurtling down it on a takeoff roll the plane is bouncing around like a Jeep going down a mud trail.

I want to say eventually they are going to extend it and rebuild it to allow the FedEx heavies to take off in crosswind conditions after the hub is ramped up in the next couple years.

N328KF

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:23 pm

In this map, there is a thin green north/south line running parallel to the road (SR-33) that is used for aircraft. Rough enough for you?

View Larger Map
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

B6FA4ever

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:26 pm

i gotta say JFK reminds me of the Van Wyck! traffic and bumps all around! *LOL*

the other runway i feel that is kind of rough is 8L in HNL.

DiscoverCSG

Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:40 pm

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 1):
Runway 14/32 that is used for crosswinds usually has got to be the roughest I have ever experienced. That thing is in really bad shape, the surface is like that cheap and rough coarse blacktop used in old strip mall parking lots that seems like would shred tires and have potholes in it left and right. And its also really uneven and hilly. As you are hurtling down it on a takeoff roll the plane is bouncing around like a Jeep going down a mud trail.

I want to say eventually they are going to extend it and rebuild it to allow the FedEx heavies to take off in crosswind conditions after the hub is ramped up in the next couple years.

What airport are you talking about?

Flyingtheflag

Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:41 pm

I remember taking off from Bogota on an Avianca 762ER and thinking the plane was going to fall apart... And it was a really long take off run due to altitude... Mumbai is pretty rough too. Don't recall the actual runway numbers for either though...

CO777DAL

Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:45 pm

Well I don't know if it was the plane or the runway in MCO, but we went bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam down the runway on takeoff. Good thing the seat was thick, cause it was bummpy. Siting close to the front nose wheel.

You can even hear the noise as we rolled down the runway.

Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

PiedmontINT

Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:24 pm

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 1):

Quoting DiscoverCSG (Reply 4):

What airport are you talking about?

Whoops! I am talking about GSO, I was editing my post a little and forgot to fix the part where I mention which airport it was!  banghead 

IAHFLYR

Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:33 pm

Quoting DIA (Thread starter):
was just recalling taking-off in a DC-9-30 from MSP to EWR a few years back...remembering how darn bumpy the runway was.

It wasn't the runway but the DC-9!!!  Big grin
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

DiscoverCSG

Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:55 pm

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 7):
Whoops! I am talking about GSO, I was editing my post a little and forgot to fix the part where I mention which airport it was!

That's okay. I've done far omissions of information.

ordflier

Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:55 pm

Frankfurt, Germany is always good for a few good bumps!
ORDflier

AV8AJET

Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:59 pm

Quoting DIA (Thread starter):
I was just recalling taking-off in a DC-9-30 from MSP to EWR a few years back...remembering how darn bumpy the runway was. Can't recall which runway it was, though.

I think it would be 12L/30R
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

Boeing727

Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:04 pm

Runway 9/27 @ KIAH is very rough when going down the middle, a couple feet to each side always helps...

Boeing727

Aaron747

Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:52 pm

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 6):
Well I don't know if it was the plane or the runway in MCO, but we went bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam down the runway on takeoff. Good thing the seat was thick, cause it was bummpy.

It was neither the plane or the runway - just the fact that your crew liked driving straight over the runway centerline lights. That's the bam bam bam you heard, nothing more.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

IntlDj

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:49 pm

Ok, so it's not the runway, but I was leaving MIA the other day sitting at the very back of a A300 taxiing and we were bouncing up and down like never before. The pilot was going just the right speed to continue the rhythm. Great fun.

co777er

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:39 pm

BNA was pretty bad when I went through there about 5 years ago. The plane felt like a rabbit hopping up and down... up and down.

deltairlines

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:19 am

And to think before I opened this thread up (just saw the title) the runway that popped into my head was 14/32 at GSO. Fortunately it's rarely in use - I only saw it used once in 4 years of flying out of GSO on a regular basis (about 15-20 times a year).

PGNCS

Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:32 am

KORF 5/23 changes from asphalt to concrete in the middle and is the most jarring I can think of for major airports right off the top of my head...

pitops

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:47 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 17):
KORF 5/23 changes from asphalt to concrete in the middle and is the most jarring I can think of for major airports right off the top of my head...

PIT's 28R/ 10L is the same way. About halfway down you can feel a nice bump when it goes from conrete to asphalt.
Ground Ops, Southwest Airlines, CMH

GAIsweetGAI

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:00 pm

I might've missed it, but I'm surprised I didn't see TGI (Tangier Island, VA) - apparently they have (had? I believe they're planning on repairing it) a runway in a pretty bad condition (holes etc.).
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."