United Airline
Topic Author

Should Glenn Tilton Go?

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:46 am

I think it's time for him to go. He isn't doing much for UAL Corporation. All he does is cut this and cut that. No expansion/takeover/merger either. And UAL is still struggling/not making $

Wonder if UAL will return to its former size/glory in the 90s. They used to make so much $. And when.....

What do you think?

[Edited 2008-07-06 20:46:57]

Falcon84

RE: Should Glenn Tilton Go?

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:11 am

Is the Pope German?

I think that answers that.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

ASFlyer

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:27 am

Should Glenn Tilton go? Honestly, I can't, for the life of me, understand why the board allows him to stay. He is responsible for UA being where they are. UA had a HUGE opportunity to come out of bankruptcy smelling like a rose and he squandered that opportunity.

[Edited 2008-07-06 21:28:01]

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:33 am

Wonder why they let him stay.

All he wants is a merger/takeover and make hundreds of millions of dollars and retire. No expansion, no PTV in economy class, no profit (LOSING MONEY EVEN!), poor service. No order even when others have placed orders. And all he knows is CUT THIS CUT THAT. You never see SQ, CX etc cutting anything and yet they are doing very well.

Just make him go!

People were shocked that he had another extension

baw716

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:58 am

The board of directors at UAL are directly responsible for putting this moron in charge of the airline. He had no vision, no direction; he just took advantage of the bankruptcy laws to stick it to the employees and cut costs. When they came out of bankruptcy, they had a horrible exit plan, deferred massive amounts of debt, had a fleet plan that was THE worst of any major airline and now, because of his fixation on merging UAL into another airline to solve the problems he created, they didn't act soon enough to avoid putting themselves into a worse crisis than they were in just after 9/11.

So, should Glen Tilton go, obviously, the answer is yes. The bigger problem is the fact that the board of directors is totally clueless, so they are apt to bring in another oil exec who has no idea of how to run an airline and probably run UAL into bankruptcy and out of business. Of course, this assumes that they get rid of Glen Tilton and there is no guarantee that that will happen.

With the exception of Pete McDonald, every other person on that senior management team needs to be summarily fired. Tilton has effectively destroyed UAL, since I don't see a way that they can get out of the situation they face absent another bankruptcy filing...of course, with that in hand there are some things that could be done, but they would be VERY painful. There are things UAL could do that would mitigate things, but the problem with this management team is that they don't think out of the box. All they know is to cut, cut, cut.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:11 am

I expect a strike to come soon.

United1

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:20 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 5):

And you base that on what?
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Lambert747

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:25 am

He should have gone over a year ago. How much longer is the BOD going to put up with him and his antics, he has taken United Airlines and its image to an all time low. I feel for the employees of United Airlines, the majority of them are some of the best in the industry. They deserve so much better than Tilton.

United Airlines Employees
 box   box   box 

~vs~

Glenn Tilton
 hot   hot   hot 
Sei di Verona se tuo papà, tuo nonno o tuo bisnonno era un alpino...

ckfred

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:31 am

If UA decides to terminate Tilton's employment, here are several ideas for a replacement.

First, if UA's board decides to go outside of the industry, don't go to an industry that has little contact with its customers on a daily basis.

By that I mean that a customer should have contact with the company any time it uses the product. Tilton came from the oil industry. About the only time that a consumer has contact with an oil company is when he fills up his car. A former CEO at DL came from an electric utility. About the only time a person calls the utility is when the power is out.

You would be better off hiring someone from a restaurant chain or a retailer, because the customer has direct contact with employees while using the product.

Second, two businesses that could provide a good CEO would be hotels or cruise lines. Both are in the business of hospitality for people away from home. Remember that when UAL owned what is now the Westin chain, UAL CEOs typically came up through the hotel side of the business, and not the airline side.

Third, if UA felt that it needed an airline executive as a replacement for Tilton, try hiring someone at WN. WN has been profitable. Its employees seem to be far happier than UA's. WN has a number of unionized employees. And WN seems to have more satisfied passengers than UA.

There has to be an Exec. VP at WN who is itching to run an airline and doesn't want to wait for Gary Kelly to retire.

FlyASAGuy2005

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:47 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 1):
Is the Pope German?

Does a bear s*!t in the woods?

I'm surprised he has lasted this long. At one point, *rumor* heard he was getting death threats weekly.
What gets measured gets done.

Lambert747

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:52 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 9):
At one point, *rumor* heard he was getting death threats weekly.

Would that be surprising?

The man has single handily turned the airline into a disaster. Employees have little if any job security. The stock literally is plummeting, at last count it was running below $5. If things arent changed fast and he doesn't get his head out of "Merger Land", United Airlines will share the same fate as Pan Am.

United1

Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:09 am

Quoting Lambert747 (Reply 10):
If things arent changed fast and he doesn't get his head out of "Merger Land",

Merger mania is over, in fact I haven't heard one peep regarding a UA merger since UA broke the talks off with US in May. At this point it seems like UAs execs are (finally) rather focused on running the airline and making it through this paradigm shift in the industry. I've said it before and I'll say it again I think Tilton needs to go not because of incompetence or ineptitude but because the BK chapter in UAs history needs to close and Tiltons departure does that. I do agree that Tilton lacks a long term vision for UA but thats OK sometimes CEOs are simply brought in for a specific reason (in this case getting UA out of BK.) The next CEO of UA needs to have a vision of how to grow UA again, that has to be the single biggest criteria that UAs Board looks for in a replacement, I also think that the Board is starting to reign Tilton in a bit as they were the ones who called the merger with US off.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:25 am

Shall we get Gerald Greenward back? Or even Stephen Wolf?

WesternA318

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:35 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 12):

I vote for Dick Ferris myself...

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:39 am

Wonder when/if they will get rid of Glenn Tilton. He is just as bad as James Goodwin I think. Maybe SLIGHTLY better.

What about Jack Creighton? Any other possible candidates?

United1

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:48 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 13):

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 13):
Quoting United Airline (Reply 12):

From what I have been told I wouldn't want to wish Dick Ferris on my least favorite airline, although he did do one thing right and that was buy the Pacific Routes, although Wolf was really the one that developed them. Greenward didn't really do much of anything....

I'd go for a Pat Patterson type myself....

UAL777UK

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:55 am

Employees have little if any job security. The stock literally is plummeting, at last count it was running below $5.

Haven't you just summed up about every legacy in the States right now. To blame stock decreasing just because of Tilton is with respect a little naive.

Quoting United1 (Reply 6):
Quoting United Airline (Reply 5):

And you base that on what?

We are still awaitng an answer...... Anybody who wants to take any airline out on strike may as well just go stright to the job centre now as the consequenses would be disasterous.

As like United1 has stated above and I will also say, Tilton does need to go now, he's been and got the T-Shirt, but someone with new vision is now required to take UA forward. Tilton pulled UA out of its death spiral when many everywhere including on here were saying that UA was destined to go CH7. He came in as nobody else wanted the thankless task and he pulled it off. That was then, this is now and I agree he needs to be replaced.

WesternA318

Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:05 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 15):
From what I have been told I wouldn't want to wish Dick Ferris on my least favorite airline, although he did do one thing right and that was buy the Pacific Routes, although Wolf was really the one that developed them. Greenward didn't really do much of anything....

I only wish Ferris on the United Pilots and F/A's...  box 

Too bad theres no one like that around anymore...

United1

Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:06 am

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 16):
Employees have little if any job security. The stock literally is plummeting, at last count it was running below $5.

Haven't you just summed up about every legacy in the States right now. To blame stock decreasing just because of Tilton is with respect a little naive.

The only two legacies right now with a stock price above $5.00 a share are CO and NW, and NW probably would be under $5.00 a share if the DL merger were not going to go through. There is absolutely nothing that any of the airline execs can do about the stock price till either oil drops dramatically and/or fares rise to a sustainable level.

United1

Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:10 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 17):

Too bad theres no one like that around anymore...

Sure there are the trick is finding that person, Gordon Bethune and Larry Kellner were not referred to as the Great and Dear Leaders untill after they were in position at CO. Its all about finding a leader who has vision and knows how to surround themselves with people who know what they are doing.

Quoting WesternA318
"I only wish Ferris on the United Pilots and F/A's..."

por qué?

[Edited 2008-07-07 01:12:40]

[Edited 2008-07-07 01:14:04]

WesternA318

Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:50 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 19):
Sure there are the trick is finding that person, Gordon Bethune and Larry Kellner were not referred to as the Great and Dear Leaders untill after they were in position at CO. Its all about finding a leader who has vision and knows how to surround themselves with people who know what they are doing.

Larrys doing an ok job in these times, but Gordon might do the same thing. However, Gordon is not around anymore, so there really is no one left. Gordon was also a pretty good leader at Boeing and at Piedmont, and he helped turn around Western's maintenance program as well.

deltal1011man

Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:26 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 18):
The only two legacies right now with a stock price above $5.00 a share are CO and NW, and NW probably would be under $5.00 a share if the DL merger were not going to go through. There is absolutely nothing that any of the airline execs can do about the stock price till either oil drops dramatically and/or fares rise to a sustainable level.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 
Use to be that if an airlines said they where buying new planes, merging, getting ATI with others would bring stock up and its still does today it will bring it up 5-10 cents then it will drop right back down. Airline stock will stay high as long as oil is up.
I saw a quote from the CFO of Delta and some asked him what will make Delta's stock come up and he said Oil must drop for most of the airline stock to co up.

dispatchguy

Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:03 pm

Yes, Tilton needs to pack his golden chute and not let the door hit him in his ass on the way out.

UAL needs a leader; someone that everyone would follow, and believe in. No, they dont need to bring someone in from some outside industry that doesnt know jack about airplanes; and the unique issues that UAL has. A UAL insider that has been around UA for a while, and knows UA.

Unfortunately, about the only person I can think of is either Pete McDonald; or Hank Krakowski. Capt Krakowski is at the FAA as the CEO of the Air Traffic Organization right now, but spent 30 or so years at UAL. He was a 737 captain at UAL, holds an Airframe and Powerplant certificate, and flies with the Lima Lima Aerobatic Team.

http://www.faa.gov/about/key_officials/krakowski/

DS
Former UALer - OPBCM
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

STT757

Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:31 pm

I would bring in Gordon Bethune, for a couple of reasons. Obviously the immediate concern is to clean up the balance sheet and get costs under control, right now it's about survival and they need UAL to get lean and efficient fast. Retiring the 737s and bringing the TED aircraft back into mainline is step one, there are many more steps that need to made which are going to be tough decisions. One decision might be to close a hub(s).

Bring Gordon Bethune in to basically clean up shop, get things ship shape and make fleet, employee, investment decisions that are conducive to getting UAL in line for a merger with CO. Right now UAL is not in the state to merge with anyone, the additional costs and disruption to service as well as employee confusion / disgruntlement that would accompany a merger negate the benefits.

Clean up the operation, slim it down and make it super efficient. Straighten out relations with employees, bring the product standards in line with CO's. Use the new marketing/ codeshare agreement with CO to begin bringing everything in line, combine where they can combine operations / services now as separate companies to reap some immediate savings. Slowly steadily integrate as much as possible as separate companies, if UAL gets turned around and is leaner than they are today a merger would be much easier to pull off than where CO and UAL are at today.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

avek00

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:22 pm

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):
I think it's time for him to go.

United couldn't do any better than him the last time they looked for a CEO (and despite the bombast, Tilton has been a rather capable CEO with the crappy hand United and its employees dealt him) -- and given how the fortunes of both United Airlines and the commercial aviation industry have both deteriorated greatly since then, what makes ANYONE think that United would be able to retain a heavy-hitter CEO?
Live life to the fullest.

Lambert747

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:31 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 16):

There was nothing naive at all. Re-read what was written. Stock was only part of the statement. United Airlines could have had a half intelligent person running the show and hedging in the way that Southwest Airlines does. They did not. United Airlines could have had a half intelligent person running the show that pulled TED years ago. They did not. United Airlines could have had a half intelligent person running the show that invested in the longevity of the airlines workforce. They do not!

AWACSooner

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:33 pm

Tilton, AArpey, Ornstein and Parker...send them all packing!

Lambert747

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 23):
Bring Gordon Bethune in to basically clean up shop, get things ship shape and make fleet, employee, investment decisions that are conducive to getting UAL in line for a merger with CO. Right now UAL is not in the state to merge with anyone, the additional costs and disruption to service as well as employee confusion / disgruntlement that would accompany a merger negate the benefits

checkmark   checkmark 

United Airlines needs Bethune, more then Bethune needs United Airlines..

He worked magic at Continental Airlines, there is not a single reason he cannot work his magic again at United Airlines. The only problem is the permeated sense of complacency with United Airlines management, which has to be one of the worst in the industry. Bethune can lead them to profit, however it is up to them (United Airlines management), to follow.

avek00

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:57 pm

Quoting Lambert747 (Reply 27):
He worked magic at Continental Airlines, there is not a single reason he cannot work his magic again at United Airlines

In fact, there are at least two reasons why Bethune could not readily duplicate his success at CO with United:

1. CO's workforce was significantly underpaid (up to 50%), undersized, and fairly docile relative to its legacy peers, due to the lasting effects of Frank Lorenzo's time at the airline. CO did not reach industry-standard wages until the beginning of the 21st century, giving Bethune a MAJOR cost advantage (and fewer labor hassles) to work with.

2. In the mid-1990s, CO's hubs were undersized and underutilized relative to other comparable legacy hub operations. This allowed CO to engage in significant fleet and network growth, and to build market share. By contrast, United's hub markets are more or less fully "matured", with little room for uninhibited exapsnion ala CO.

PHXmd80

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:21 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 23):
Bring Gordon Bethune in to basically clean up shop

1. As he has stated numerous times that he wouldn't run another airline, I don't think that he would run another airline. If he would, then he's a liar, and I wouldn't want him as CEO.
2. He didn't turn around the finances of CO. That was Greg Brenneman and Larry Kellner. But they never get credit.

PHXmd80

Lambert747

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:42 pm

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 28):
2. In the mid-1990s, CO's hubs were undersized and underutilized relative to other comparable legacy hub operations. This allowed CO to engage in significant fleet and network growth, and to build market share. By contrast, United's hub markets are more or less fully "matured", with little room for uninhibited exapsnion ala CO.

You have an excellent point with the above.

However, as can be seen United Airlines can for lack of a better word shrink its domestic operations to allower for increased international operations down the road. United Airlines for example recently terminated its 2nd term with the LAX-HKG market. Now part of the reason for that route being terminated were cost cutting measures made by the airline. United Airlines domestic network is broad and in-depth. However as has been discussed time and time again, United Airlines suffers from an identity problem. United Airlines wants to be able to fight the LCC, they want to be able to fly to as many domestic markets as they can, and they want to be the large international operator. They cannot do all of it without one of those sectors draining the rest of the equation. The steps put forward and the management of United Airlines in the past decade have made poor decisions. Those are the exact decisions today that United Airlines is paying for.

India

Many people argue that the termination of the 'Around the World' service was a move that was both poorly devised and was not focused enough upon. Furthermore even after 9/11 United Airlines should have continued its growth to the Indian market nonstop from the USA. Be it from Dulles or be it from O'Hare. 9/11 happened and the entire nation went into a knee-jerk free for all. United Airlines could have postponed the ORD-DEL start to 2002, or even 2003. They did not, they did however cancel the service entirely before it was given a chance to start.

TED

For all of the money that went into the TED program. The refitting of the A320 TED types with an all Y+/Y configuration, the marketing that went into the TED program, United could have made much better use of the money. Instead of trying to continue the pissing match with Southwest Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and America West Airlines at the time, United Airlines could have taken all of that money and invested it in the over-haul of the International product. They did not. They made some cosmetic change here and there but nothing that would lure anyone away from a true premium airline/product to United Airlines. The TED product drove otherwise premium First Class passengers that would have flown First Class to markets such as LAS, PHX, FLL, PBI, into the other airlines in those markets that did offer a premium product.

Premium Service/PS.

Premium Service/PS is by far the one of the smartest decisions that United Airlines has made since bankruptcy. If United Airlines would apply the same attention to detail and product on Premium Service/PS to the international service of United Airlines, we would not be having this discussion today. If the B744, B772, and B763 were configured with all Economy Plus, Business Class, and First Class as on Premium Service/PS, United Airlines would have a definite advantage over the other US airlines and a number of international airlines in the market. By configuring the B744, B772, B763 with Y instead of Y, United Airlines could have in turn charged a higher premium per ticket, this not lending the airline into the financial doldrums it is facing today. I have no problem discussing time and time again that I pay the full fare ticket premium for PS. I dont want to deal with the screaming rowdy crowds on other airlines in the Trans-Con market. At last account this year alone I have spent $18,500 using Premium Service/PS on LAX-JFK, SFO-JFK alone. I dont have a problem investing my money in Premium Service/PS. I have a major problem investing money in United Airlines long-haul product.

Mileage Plus

There is the argument that comes up time and time again about Y going to the Mileage Plus members and those that purchase the Y upgrades. I understand that argument, I also understand that United Airlines international Y product is sub-par to the majority of Asian operators, which by far is one of the largest market shares in the United Airlines network. So if the Mileage Plus members want to upgrade, they have a choice buy full Y or buy full J and then if space permits they can be upgraded. It has become some sort of given right that the Mileage Plus status members sit in Y when they fly. The Mileage Plus program is much to lenient with upgrades as it is. United Airlines should adapt a program such as British Airways Executive Club, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, and permit mileage accrual only on certain fare classes. There is no need to upgrade a person that has earned 25,000 miles a year purchasing groceries and household goods on a Mileage Plus credit card. Nor is there a need to reward a person that flies to Vegas from Washington DC 6 times a year on $300 R/T tickets. There is a need to reward the people that fly United Airlines that dish out $2000-$4000 everytime they fly SFO-HKG 5 times per year. Those flyers are the future of United Airlines, not the $300 domestic Vegas trip. Who is the greater supporter of United Airlines, the Hong Kong traveller at $10,000 - $20,000 per year, or the Las Vegas traveller at $1,800 per year? There are 5-10 of the Vegas Traveller to one of the Hong Kong traveller. Where should United Airlines focus be?

Instead of offering it free of charge to Mileage Plus status members United Airlines could in turn charge a premium for those seats. The recipe is simple it is up to United Airlines management to work with it and manipulate it into success. Take the United Airlines Economy Plus product, invest in seatback monitors, upgrade the international economy meal selections. If United Airlines decreases the number of Y vs Y+ they can offset the loss of the additional Flight Attendant aboard the B744, B772, and B763 types. The current monitors in international Y on the B772, and B763 are dated, very dated. The B763 needs the updated B772 style overhead. There are a lot of things that need to be done. A focus on the international O&D markets, and less of the domestic network would do wonders. Even with the depletion of the 737 program United Airlines still has a top heavy domestic network.

Right now, you are hearing all of this from a person that is very, very saddened by the state of a once great airline. A person that believes in United Airlines, but is in the belief that management truly does not care, and that the livelihood of tens of thousands of the best employees in the US airline industry is in the hand of a management team that has no vision for the future, only their own personal interests. United Airlines was once a great airline, there is no reason under the right re-direction the airline cannot reclaim its once "acclaimed" position.

Here is to United Airlines "Rising", after Tilton leaves..   

[Edited 2008-07-07 09:02:26]

[Edited 2008-07-07 09:04:44]

bmacleod

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Quoting Lambert747 (Reply 27):
United Airlines needs Bethune, more then Bethune needs United Airlines..

Now that Aloha is dead Bethune does have more time on his hands, though he seemed quite happy recently as an airline industry commentator on CNBC.

Bethune has been one of the biggest supporters of the NW DL merger and he just might end up in a supporting role in the new company.

Glenn Tilton must be doing something right at UA otherwise why is he still there? If UA does however merge with CO expect him to make a quick exit.....  point 
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

avek00

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Quoting Lambert747 (Reply 30):
However, as can be seen United Airlines can for lack of a better word shrink its domestic operations to allower for increased international operations down the road.

On this, I disagree. In fact, I think the opposite might well be true -- over the years, United may have shrunk parts of its domestic operation TOO MUCH, particularly in the gateway cities for international flying, leading to an overreliance on O&D traffic for some longhaul flying (particularly ex-LAX...LAX-HKG comes to mind as a recent example) that is subject to fierce competitive attack from non-USA based airlines.

Besides, most of the domestic equipment is next to useless for longhaul flying, with the major exception of course being the 772As that I personally suspect will find themselves reintroduced into longhaul service within the next couple of years, if not sooner.

Lambert747

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:35 pm

Quoting Bmacleod (Reply 31):
Glenn Tilton must be doing something right at UA otherwise why is he still there? If UA does however merge with CO expect him to make a quick exit.....

He has done very few things for the good of United Airlines. Very few. In my personal opinion he has manipulated the board to see things through his rosy colored glasses. For the life of me I could not understand why the BOD has kept him on. Then I realized United Airlines isnt being run to be a success. It is being run to put money in the pockets of the BOD and stockholders. The longer Tilton stays in play, the more his golden parachute gets filled. He wreaks of both arrogance and self centered joy. The man reminds me of a love child of Tillinghast and Ichan. Both lived in a glass house, and thought they walked on air. Reality in the end dealt both of them stones that broke the roof of their glass houses.

Quoting Bmacleod (Reply 31):
Bethune has been one of the biggest supporters of the NW DL merger and he just might end up in a supporting role in the new company.

He is a very smart man. He understand the synergies of both Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines. The end result of the merger is unknown. However, as can be seen adding the Northwest Airlines midwest presence and Northwest Airlines Asian presence to Delta Air Lines southern, eastern, western presence combined with their strength in the Latin American, European, African, and Asian market makes a very strong argument for a very compatible presence worldwide. For as much as we knock Delta Air Lines around in this forum, we cannot simply ignore the power that the combination will provide a year from now.

AAH732UAL

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:40 pm

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Finally someone on my SIDE!
DME/DME RNP0.3 NA -Escalators don't break---- they just become stairs!

United1

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:41 pm

Quoting Dispatchguy (Reply 22):
Unfortunately, about the only person I can think of is either Pete McDonald

Funny you mention him, hes rumored to be the most likely candidate to take over for Tilton.

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 20):
so there really is no one left.

Are you really that much of a pessimist to believe that all of the great leaders in the industry have come and gone? As I said earlier its not about finding someone who has made a name for himself at another airline, its all about finding someone who CAN do the same thing at United.

Lambert747

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:19 pm

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 32):
On this, I disagree. In fact, I think the opposite might well be true -- over the years, United may have shrunk parts of its domestic operation TOO MUCH, particularly in the gateway cities for international flying, leading to an overreliance on O&D traffic for some longhaul flying (particularly ex-LAX...LAX-HKG comes to mind as a recent example) that is subject to fierce competitive attack from non-USA based airlines.

Besides, most of the domestic equipment is next to useless for longhaul flying, with the major exception of course being the 772As that I personally suspect will find themselves reintroduced into longhaul service within the next couple of years, if not sooner.

It can be taken from both sides of the argument..

I fully agree that United Airlines has shrunk its domestic network over the past few years more than ever. What the problem is at United Airlines is that it is trying to fight to many battles on the domestic front, and the financial resources that could be otherwise used on international expansion are being squandered fighting with the US.

For example United Airlines could use additional A320 equipment to fly from San Francisco to northern Central American markets. Those markets include: MGA, GUA, BZE. They are not serving any of those at current. Instead United Airlines is focusing on the A320 flying domestic routes to and from Denver ala TED to fend off the likes of Southwest Airlines and United Airlines. The same scenario can be played from IAD, to markets such as: SJO, PTY, LIR, MGA, BZE. United Airlines does not need a dozen 777's to gain traction in the Central American market, it needs a redeployment of assets. The same goes for the B752, they can be used on routes such as SFO to: PTY, SJO; IAD to: BOG, LIM, UIO. There is a lot of potential, it is up for United Airlines management to take the first step. Even using the B763 as a tool United Airlines could operate routes such as SFO to: LIM-GRU, GRU-GIG, BOG-SCL; IAD to: SCL. Contrary to what many people on here seem to argue if United Airlines links South America, namely Brasil to its SFO Asian bank there is a lot of potential. it is up to United Airlines to market itself and its hubs and to further tap their already strong O&D presence.

The 777A program served its purpose to Hawaii, but Hawaii does not gain the yield that markets such as Europe and South America can return to United Airlines. Hawaii along with the PH contract is fine at current. But if United Airlines is looking at restoring international growth to the network those 777A are going to have to come off of Hawaii in favor of either increased B752, or B763 flying in those markets. HNL-NRT can be downgraded from the B77A and interchanged with a B763. However United Airlines needs to look at what works with and without contracts. Fly 300 people per day to a beach market is not going to return the same yield as 300 people per day to Sao Paulo from Dulles, or Santiago from Dulles. The greatest area of growth for United Airlines in the interim will have to come from either the Latin American or African market. Delta Air Lines has found solid success in both markets. With the political O&D in the Washington DC market there is no reason that United Airlines should not look at 3-4x per week IAD-LOS, IAD-ACC, IAD-CAI, or IAD-DKR using the B763. However, as I have ranted and raved before. It is up to United Airlines management to get over there "business as usual" attitude and train of thought and focus outside of the box for exponential international growth to markets with yield and demand.

I have a feeling, and forgive me, I am going to be stoned for this one, that one of the hubs will have to go. I have a very strong feeling that will either be LAX, or DEN. The reasoning for this is United Airlines is top heavy on the West Coast while sparse in the South and the East Coast in general. LAX, and DEN both serve West Coast markets, in many cases the same West Coast markets. Denver has proven to be an inefficient hub when it comes to international service, while LAX can be an efficient hub when it comes to international service. Denver has not performed anywhere near what the airport had thought when it moved to DIA. United Airlines cant even maintain a daily flight from DEN-LHR, or FRA. Both have been/are being tried and do not work. United Airlines is going to have to do one of two things. Shrink Denver into a sole domestic operation as a connecting hub. Or focus on LAX and retract from Denver to focus on international operations. We have heard the argument time and time again that LAX and SFO fight for traffic on the United Airlines West Coast network. It is true in many cases, and false in few others.

United Airlines is going to have to focus on what works. If it means bringing the airline down in size and focusing hub operations at SFO, ORD, and IAD. While drawing DEN and LAX to Focus Cities. I believe it is possible. SFO is the de-facto United Airlines Asian gateway, IAD is the de-facto United Airlines South American, European, and Middle Eastern gateway. ORD is in the middle of everything.

When Bethune along with Kellner and gang were at Continental Airlines they realized what had to be done. Denver got cut, it was a hard call to make. However in the interim they refocused the airline on EWR and IAH, ordered new equipment, streamlined operations and came out of it on top in the US airline industry.

[Edited 2008-07-07 10:22:07]

[Edited 2008-07-07 10:23:45]

PGNCS

Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:47 pm

I would suggest a much shorter thread would be called "Should Glenn Tilton stay"?  Wink

Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:06 pm

He's proven that UAL didn't learn anything from their years of Chapter 11. Why guys like him, and John Tague, get rewarded for their lack of managerial and business competence is beyond anyone's comprehension.