Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ben175
Topic Author

The Worlds Least Profitable Routes

Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:03 am

In your opinion, what are some of the routes that could qualify for the least profitable flight in the world? I'm still trying to figure out a few so i'll post mine a bit later.

ssides

RE: The Worlds Least Profitable Routes

Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:58 am

I'd likely say something operated by Air Koryo, since they probably don't even officially turn a profit.

PRGLY

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:04 am

In LY I think, it is TLV-CAI, that is running mostly on political order.
Also now, with very high fuel price, we face big problems on almost all longhauls.

rojam

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:23 am

Quoting Ben175 (Thread starter):
In your opinion, what are some of the routes that could qualify for the least profitable flight in the world? I'm still trying to figure out a few so i'll post mine a bit later.

In addition to the "least profitable", perhaps in the thread we should also include the world's "most loss-making" routes  Wink
And of these most loss-making ones, I propose QF's LHR-MAN-LHR ghost flights - zero passengers, zero revenue - just a slot maintenance charade. But now, that's a short flight - I'd bet there are many many scheduled passenger flights out there that actually lose significantly more.

Gonzalo

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 am

I don't have the numbers but i think the Iran Air route Teheran-Damascus-Caracas could be one of the less profitable routes, but honestly i'm not 100 % sure, Iran and Venezuela have "almost free" oil, so one important factor in the fight for make money these days is under control for them. AFAIK they do the flights with old generation 747's ( not the best in terms of fuel consumption ) and probably they don't have the market to fill that plane weekly. The route was initiated mostly for political reasons and i don't think the people traveling for work in the oil industry or tourism can support a good load factor in that route.
Saludos,
GR1

Zkpilot

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:55 am

Whist I think that most airlines operating the route are still doing so profitably, by how much is a question when talking about across the Tasman Sea between AKL and SYD. It is considered by some to be the most competitive International sector in the world. NZ and QF are the 2 main carriers flying it, but there is also DJ, LA, AR, and of course EK.

AF Cabin Crew

Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:34 am

Ia Orana all !

PPT-JFK-PPT by TN !
It is going to be stopped fr the winter now and only operate 4 months during the peak summer season. I did that flight once and there was 80 passengers on board !
When the airline had the "great" idea to route the plane via LAX they sometimes flew with 11 or 15 pax !

jmc1975

Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:39 am

Back in 2000-01, Air Jamaica operated nonstop MBJ-PHX service. Can't imagine that would've been any kind of cash cow.

eghansen

Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:20 am

Quoting Gonzalo (Reply 4):
I don't have the numbers but i think the Iran Air route Teheran-Damascus-Caracas could be one of the less profitable routes, but honestly i'm not 100 % sure, Iran and Venezuela have "almost free" oil, so one important factor in the fight for make money these days is under control for them.

Conviasa runs a similar flight with an A340-300 from CCS to Damacus and Teheran. Very handy for the large Syrian population in Caracas to have a non-stop flight home.  Smile

Years ago, Continental had two flights from IAH to MSY, one at 8:30 pm and one at 9:30 pm. The one at 9:30 pm. never seemed to have any more than 10 people booked on it. Of course, that meant anytime there was a crew shortage or mechanical problem with another plane, the 8:30 pm flight would be canceled and the passengers rolled over to the 9:30 pm flight. The father of a friend of mine worked for Shell Oil and flew the 8:30 pm flight frequently used to complain that it was canceled about 50% of the time.

We also worked the VIASA flight from IAH to CCS. During the Christmas holiday, the airplane would leave with every seat taken including passengers sitting in the flight attendant jumpseat, which was strictly against the rules. The rest of the year, however, the flight went out with between 35 and 40 passengers in either a DC-10 or an A300.

Lastly, I flew on AA from DFW to SCL in March of 2007. I counted 27 passengers in coach. The entire row (seven across) I was sitting in was vacant except for me. The row in front of me had nobody in it at all. It was on a Tuesday. Maybe somebody who knows AA can say if this is normal or just a fluke.

fxramper

Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:01 am

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 8):
DFW to SCL

This flight actually does very well with the revenue generated from cargo movement.

twocents 

UltimateDelta

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:58 pm

BA does ghost flights too, like LHR-IAD just so they can fill slots even if nobody actually wants to take that flight...

HT

Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:38 am

Quoting Gonzalo (Reply 4):
the Iran Air route Teheran-Damascus-Caracas

&

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 8):
Conviasa runs a similar flight with an A340-300 from CCS to Damacus and Teheran.

amadeus.net no longer shows the flight on IR-metal which used to be a B747SP.
IR 745 and 744 now are operated by Conviasa (V0) with an A342, still routing CCS - DAM - IKA , outbound on Saturday returning on Tuesday.

Amadeus.net stipulates that there is also be competition by RB 4740 / 4741 operating on identical dates between DAM and CCS as the IR/V0-flight does, but with different timings using also a A340.
Can someone shed some light onto it, whether RB actually simply codeshares on the V0-flight and the timings given by amadeus.net are incorrect ? RB is not shown to have any A340's in their fleet (planespotters.net)....
-HT

ALexeu

Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:30 am

I can think of Air Zimbabwe flight to Guangzhou.

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 10):
BA does ghost flights too, like LHR-IAD just so they can fill slots even if nobody actually wants to take that flight...

What about IAH-ORD with BA? I think that there is no need for a stop, since CO flies the route.