Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

a318
Topic Author

Getting From EWR To Bournemouth

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:02 pm

Towards the end of the month I'll be heading over to Bournemouth, UK. I only have one option flying overseas and that is Continental. I can obviously fly all over Europe but it looks like the only place I can fly to that actually has a flight to Bournemouth is Dublin. I would then connect onto a Ryanair flight. Do I have any other options that I am not aware of? Please help!! Are there any flights from London?? Is there a train I can take? thanks!

signol

RE: Getting From EWR To Bournemouth

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:10 pm

London Gatwick will be the closest airport to Bournmouth, there are trains each hour changing at Clapham Junction, taking just over 2 hours. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
There are also several direct coaches per day, taking 3 1/2 hours - http://www.nationalexpress.com

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

MYT332

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:14 pm

Quoting A318 (Thread starter):
Do I have any other options that I am not aware of? Please help!! Are there any flights from London?? Is there a train I can take? thanks!

Like Signol says there are trains you can take. It'll take just under 3 hours or so from Gatwick which has its own train station. It does involve changing at least once on the way though and costs around £30 for a single depending on what train company/route you take and about £43 for a return. Clapham would be my preference to change though.

There is also the coach like mentioned that runs direct from Gatwick to Bournemouth which takes 3 hrs 35 approx and costs £29 for a single and £37 for a return.

You can also do roughly the same thing from LHR however the train would involve more changes so from LHR, the coach would be better. Saying that, I'd take the train!
One Life, Live it.

mhodgson

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:36 pm

You might be as well to fly into BHX - There are hourly direct trains from the railway station there, and it still only takes three hours, which makes things simple.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

MYT332

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:43 pm

Hey lets throw Bristol in to the mix as well then! It's actually the quickest by train to Bournemouth (upon research) and the cheapest albeit you need to take the Bristol International Flyer express coach service to Temple Meads station first but hey.  Silly
One Life, Live it.

Daleaholic

Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:03 pm

While we're on it, lets throw MAN into the equation, you could fly into MAN then spend a whole day travelling down to Bournemouth  bigthumbsup 
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

bmibaby737

Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:30 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 4):
Hey lets throw Bristol in to the mix as well then! It's actually the quickest by train to Bournemouth (upon research) and the cheapest albeit you need to take the Bristol International Flyer express coach service to Temple Meads station first but hey.

Along with Dublin, Manchester or Heathrow this would be one of the better options.

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 5):
While we're on it, lets throw MAN into the equation, you could fly into MAN then spend a whole day travelling down to Bournemouth

Manchester would also be easy if you fly Manchester-Southampton on Flybe, then caught the train into Bournemouth Town Center. http://www.flybe.com

Quoting Signol (Reply 1):
London Gatwick will be the closest airport to Bournmouth, there are trains each hour changing at Clapham Junction, taking just over 2 hours. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
There are also several direct coaches per day, taking 3 1/2 hours - http://www.nationalexpress.com

I personally wouldn't recommend this one. Getting from Gatwick to Bournemouth is expensive on the coach. I hate travelling to LGW from here.

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 3):
You might be as well to fly into BHX - There are hourly direct trains from the railway station there, and it still only takes three hours, which makes things simple.

Havn't tried this one, but this may be worth looking into, A318. http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 2):
You can also do roughly the same thing from LHR however the train would involve more changes so from LHR, the coach would be better.

Heathrow-Bournemouth on the coach is a nice simple journey with just one very short 5 minute stop in the little village of Ringwood. Its not too expensive either. The coach will take you to the center of Bournemouth outside the Train Station. http://www.nationalexpress.co.uk

[Edited 2008-08-11 12:36:22]

TupolevTu154

Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:37 pm

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Reply 6):
Havn't tried this one, but this may be worth looking into, A318.

We kinda have, remember that boiling hot train that took 1 hour from SOU? Yeah, that one  Wink

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Reply 6):
Manchester would also be easy if you fly Manchester-Southampton on Flybe, then caught the train into Bournemouth Town Center.

This one I'd recommend should you have the funds, the 145's are great fun  Silly

Tom Big grin

bmibaby737

Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:43 pm

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 7):
We kinda have, remember that boiling hot train that took 1 hour from SOU?

You know that was a one off :P. Southampton-Bournemouth route on the train is normally a relatively fast and reliable service (for British Transport).

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 7):
This one I'd recommend should you have the funds, the 145's are great fun

Deffinetly try and get yourself on the Flybe Embraer145! Little pocket rocket.

PlymSpotter

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:38 pm

If you are going to be travelling by train then book it at the same time you book or organise your flight - fares on the day are significantly higher than those purchased even a few days in advance. Allow plenty of time though to make your train, advance (cheap) fares are valid only for the train shown on your reservation.

www.nationalrail.co.uk should tell you everything else you need to know

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

02hilliert

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:09 pm

Get to JFK and fly with Monarch direct to Bournemouth if you are traveling around Christmas....
Next Up: Back to the US - Charlotte & Kansas City

AmricanShamrok

Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:58 am

I'd chance connecting via Dublin...

AA737-823

Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:00 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 4):
Bristol International Flyer express coach service to Temple Meads station first but hey.

I've done just that very recently, easy as pie. I'll do it again next week.

I highly recommend Bristol, it was a very good airport experience. Nice little airport with very short lines, albeit a weird boarding process with no assigned gate space.

B747forever

Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:16 pm

Quoting 02hilliert (Reply 10):
Get to JFK and fly with Monarch direct to Bournemouth if you are traveling around Christmas....

He said that he has to travel around the end of this month.
Work Hard, Fly Right