CrimsonNL
Topic Author

New York City, February Or May?

Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:51 pm

Hi guys, I'm planning a trip to NYC with 2 friends of mine, for 5-6 days

We basically have two options, between 14 and 22 February, or between 27 April and 5 May.

The problem with the April/May dates is that this is a vacation period in The Netherlands where lots of people go away for spring, so this increases hotel/ticket prices by a whole lot.

The problem with the February option, is the weather. It is said to be pretty cold. Now I can handle cold, but what about the attractions? Of course I want to do the Circle line and visit the mayor landmarks etc.

Any advise on these dates? As long as it isn't constantly raining in February I think I'll survive!

Thanks in advance!

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

September11

RE: New York City, February Or May?

Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:42 pm

14-22 February should be busy in NYC

Valentine's Day: Saturday, February 14
President's Day: Monday, February 16
Washington's Birthday: Sunday, February 22
Airliners.net of the Future

deltairlines

Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:16 pm

Winter in NYC is miserable - a lot of slush, streets are violent wind tunnels. Would recommend going in April/May a lot more.

ArmitageShanks

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:12 am

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 3):

Agree 100% with DeltAirlines unless you like cold times and snow! But it's almost impossible to enjoy the city. The first week of May is far better than February !

Same here. Having visited in both seasons I'd go for spring/summer.

LipeGIG

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:12 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 2):
Winter in NYC is miserable - a lot of slush, streets are violent wind tunnels. Would recommend going in April/May a lot more.

Agree 100% with DeltAirlines unless you like cold times and snow! But it's almost impossible to enjoy the city. The first week of May is far better than February !
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

soon7x7

Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:47 am

The locals are in much better moods in May. Scratch February as weather entirely unpredictable...It boarders on abusive...The models in NYC wear less in MAY...need I say more...

CrimsonNL
Topic Author

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:54 am

Thanks for the advice!

PanAm747

Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Crimson, if you're European, you'll know how to deal with a NYC winter. It could be clear as a bell, or it could be the middle of a blizzard. It's a gamble, but the tourist crowds will not be anything NEAR what you find in the summer.

As for going in spring, this is thunderstorm season in the midwest and eastern parts of the U.S., and nothing shuts a city and airports down like thunderstorms. And getting a taxi in the rain, even in NYC, is an ordeal unto itself...

But New York City is a fantastic place, so don't be dissuaded from enjoying it whenever you choose to go! If you are planning on seeing (a) Broadway show(s), at Herald Square, across from the Marriott Marquis hotel, you will find the TKTS booth selling half price tickets to that evening's shows - most of them are available.

Also, if you're flying into EWR, take the Air Train to the train station and take a NJ Transit train into Penn Station. The easiest way to get from an airport into the city!!

Whatever happens, please give us a trip report!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

daviation

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:59 am

Well, I have lived in (and near) New York City for 52 years, so there are good and bad points to both seasons. If you travel here in February, you are taking a chance. It can be magical with snow-dusted streets, ice-skating in Rockefeller Center, winter wonderland in Central Park. Or it can be just gray and gloomy, with cold rain or biting cold.

Late-April and early-May is really a beautiful time in New York. The temperatures are warm and the skies are sunny, Spring is in the air, and the trees and flowers are starting to bloom. There really is no down side to this time of year, except that it is more expensive and you have more crowds.

I hope you enjoy your visit to New York.

Daviation (David)
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

PITingres

Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:30 am

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 5):
The locals are in much better moods in May.

Ahem. That ain't saying much.  Smile

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 7):
Crimson, if you're European, you'll know how to deal with a NYC winter.

I would tend to agree, especially if you are native NL. It's a little bit of a crap-shoot, but if the price difference is significant I'd go for Feb. Also, late April - early May isn't quite far enough into spring IMHO to matter that much. You might find yourself in warm mud instead of cold mud!
Fly, you fools! Fly!

[email protected]

Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:52 pm

I went to NYC in Feb this year and had a terrific time walking around everywhere - but I dressed very warmly with a proper hat, gloves and socks.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

CrimsonNL
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:58 pm

Again thanks to all for the replies  Smile

Me and one of my friends that is going along to NYC went to Iceland in feb. last year. We visited VEY one day and it got so cold that I could no longer use my fingers (I had gloves) But we had a wonderful time. My main concern is not walking in the slush up to me knees.

I'm gonna talk it over with my friends and if all goes well you'll probably see a trip report next year  Wink

Cheers, Martijn

[email protected]

Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:55 pm

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 11):
My main concern is not walking in the slush up to me knees.

I spent 3 days walking all around various parts of Manhattan and I can't recall any slush.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."