Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

turpentyine
Topic Author

Connecting Between Gatwick And Heathrow?

Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:09 am

On Oct 13 I will be going from Paphos Cyprus to New York USA. I will be flying on British Airways and have a connection in London. I arrive at Gatwick and depart Heathrow. What would be the best way to travel between these two airports. Also this will be my first time in England and I have 7 hours between my flights. Is there anything interesting I could check out and still make my flight?
Thank you.

[Edited 2008-09-23 23:18:19]

Qantasistheway

RE: Connecting Between Gatwick And Heathrow?

Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:34 am

Depending on what time of day it is you could a. take a national rail train to vicotira station then take the underground (Circle Line from Victoria to Paddington) then take the Heathrwo Connect from Paddington to Heathrow Central and then take the free express service from Heathrwo Central (Terminals 1, 2 & 3) to Terminal 5, presuming that your flight departs with BA. Otherwise stay on the connect until you reach Terminal 4. or b. Take a national express bus from LGW to LHR, but I would advise against this in morning traffic as it can get quite busy on the motorways, however during the day this might be your best bet as it is convenient and direct, it will take an hour or two though. Providing you take the Central London route you might have time to stop off at Hyde Park for an hour or two but I don't know what you could do with your luggage. Otherwise go to a restaurant near either of the train stations, Victoria will probably have better food options, as eating in the airport is expensive and not as enjoyable. Hope this helps.
Cheers

turpentyine
Topic Author

Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:46 am

I arrive at 635AM and depart at 1:40PM.

signol

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:26 am

A lot depends on how much luggage you have... A lot of luggage, and the National Express coach would be a good option. Or take a train from Gatwick to Kings Cross, and change once to the Tube - Picadilly Line, direct to LHR. The tube to LHR takes about an hour from the city centre.

If you don't have much luggage, or it's checked through, you could take a train from Gatwick to London Bridge station, which is a short walk from Tower Bridge and the Tower of London, then continue to LHR after an hour or two by tube (Circle or District line to South Kensington, then Picadilly from there). From the south of London, trekking to Paddington for the Heathrow Express train is not really worth the additional time over the normal tube train.

www.tfl.gov.uk has tube and train maps.

Hope this helps!

signol

davehammer

Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:25 pm

In all honesty I'd say you'd probably be best off just getting the coach between the two and being at LHR early rather than heading for London in the morning peak.

gsosbee

Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:36 pm

I agree with Davehammer. You will need to be at LHR around noon so you would need to leave central London around 11. At 0630 it has taken me an hour to clear LGW (agreed it should be faster now that the bulk of the US flights have switched to LHR) at that time of day, so you really only have about 3 hours.

Take the bus and enjoy the English countryside.

turpentyine
Topic Author

Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:02 pm

Will I see London at all from the bus?

HT

Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:13 pm

Quoting Turpentyine (Reply 6):
Will I see London at all from the bus?

No. The Coach will use the M25 Orbital Motorway from 6 o'clock clockwise to 9 o'clock.
Nowhere will you be able to see anything that remotely could be called central London.
-HT

turpentyine
Topic Author

Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:43 pm

That sucks. So I guess there is no way for me to see london then...

seattleflyer

Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:16 pm

Quoting Signol (Reply 3):
or it's checked through

Who checks bags through when transferring between LGW and LHR? BA doesn't!

If you have a decent budget and want to see central London, take the Gatwick Express to Victoria, a taxi to Paddington (Tube would be cheaper but you won't see anything), then Heathrow Express. A taxi would be happy to take you past any sites you want to see.

National Express bus may be faster (but perhaps not at that time of day).

If you get to Heathrow with enough time to spare, you could maybe leave your luggage at the "left luggage" desk and take the bus (or taxi) out to Windsor Castle, Kew Gardens or Hampton Court. I would say you need MINIMUM of 4 hours for any one of these.

http://www.baa.com is full of airport tranfer info.

BCAL

Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:04 am

If your plane arrives on time it will be 07:30 by the time you cleared customs/immigration and reclaimed your baggage. Nobody checks bags through when transferring between LGW and LHR, so you will have to carry them with you. By 07:30 the morning rush hour will be at a peak so traffic will be heavy on the M25 (England's largest car park) and trains to London (other than the Gatwick Express Service) will be crowded like sardine tins. If you are lucky, you might arrive at London Victoria by 08:30 and, quite frankly, there is very little to see from the train on your journey between Gatwick and Victoria.

Arriving at Victoria you will have a choice of either taking the tube (underground) to South Kensington to change for the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow, or crossing London to Paddington to take the Heathrow Express. I would allow 90 minutes minimum for this part of the journey,and by that time it would be after 11.00am, almost time to check in immediately at LHR.

You could take the National Bus Airport service between the two airports, which would be less hassle, but your views will be of continuous traffic jams, traffic cones, motorway roadworks and only distant towns that you will soon wonder why anyone would want to live in UK.

If you really want to see London and cannot arrive a day earlier before your connecting flight, I would do as Seattleflyer suggests - take the Gatwick Express to London, ask some Hackney cab driver to show your some sights on the trip between Victoria and Paddington stations, and then the Heathrow Express. It might also be an idea to FedEx your main luggage so you are only carrying light luggage with you.