Ansett767
Topic Author

NY To LA: Which Airline?

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:46 pm

Hi All

need to make this trip in Feb.

open to any suggestions as to the best airline in terms of comfort and service/food

I do like wide bodies for longer flights so leaning towards AA's 767

Although what is UA's PS service like? Is the 5"more legroom in Y that good? Maybe Ill go for this?

Thoughts please!!

lesismore

RE: NY To LA: Which Airline?

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:13 pm

I also prefer widebodies, and would recommend AA. I flew that route twice this year on the 767, partially because I wanted to see the new JFK terminal. But the service was good, I think I had to buy a meal, and they showed a movie.
I'm a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down. - Abe Lincoln

LAXintl

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:39 pm

Do you have any frequent flyer allegiances?

JFK to LA you have quite a few nonstop choices of airlines.

Assuming you are flying Y class here are my opinions.

AA - Yes a widebody but economy product is pretty atrocious. Seats tightly packed, and no service besides a free soda. Food(snacks) can be purchased.

UA - P.s. does not offer much frills in Y class since eliminating meals, but the few extra inches of extra leg room for a tall flyer like me makes all the difference in the world. Like AA meals can be purchased.

DL - Nothing special either for a Y class product. Most flights either 738 or 757s. Meals for purchase here also. From what I gather they try to schedule planes with their LiveTV product however I know folks that have flown it without.

B6 - If you can fly into one of the community Los Angeles airports like Long Beach or Burbank JetBlue is very much a viable choice. About half the cabin have seats with extra room (which you'll pay for). IFE and DirectTV off course can help pass the time with lots of video and music choices.

VX - Virgin America new kid on the block but getting very good reviews. IFE like Jetblue also a big part of the product here with vast video and music selections. You can even order food and drinks from your seats.

Personally if you had no frequent flyer allegiances I'd go with Virgin America as its a new hip product that might be fun to try. If leg room is a big issue then I'd go with either United, or JetBlue and pay for the extra space seats.

Enjoy the trip and post a trip report!
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

LNv22

Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:34 am

Quoting Ansett767 (Thread starter):
I do like wide bodies for longer flights so leaning towards AA's 767

I also mostly go for widebodies on longer flights.

but..

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):
Personally if you had no frequent flyer allegiances I'd go with Virgin America as its a new hip product that might be fun to try.

I've just ordered SFO - JFK on VX, because of this  Wink Fun to try something "young" and new!
If space and comfort is a priority, try Main Cabin Select. It's double the price but includes more legroom, free meals and drinks, unlimited entertainment, dedicated overhead bins and priority airport services.
It's close to $ 989 for round trip in Main Cabin Select, and around $ 440 for a round trip in ordinary Y class..
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

bbinn333

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:42 am

VX - Virgin America new kid on the block but getting very good reviews. IFE like Jetblue also a big part of the product here with vast video and music selections. You can even order food and drinks from your seats.

They also have mood lighting!
Go MCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VS, WN, DL, F9, CO, AA, US, VS, AC, AS, BA,

DocLightning

Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:21 pm

Quoting Ansett767 (Thread starter):
Hi All

need to make this trip in Feb.

open to any suggestions as to the best airline in terms of comfort and service/food

So this is a six-hour trip. In my opinion, what makes you most comfortable during such a trip is not the size of the cabin, but the amenities in your seat.

DL does have some PTV's on some, but not all A/C flying this route. None of the legacies offer free on-board meals in Y. CO offers meals at mealtime, but you'd have to fly from EWR.

Having lived in both NYC and SF, I have used every single one of the airlines above for this route with the exception of B6.

My recommendation is either B6 or VX. They both have very good IFE selections. As for food, my recommendation is to buy food on the ground and take it aboard. I guarantee you can predict what you will be craving far better than the airline can.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

joeycapps

Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:47 am

United PS isnt anything special. The actual first class service on the PS is great, I enjoyed it at least. But once you move back towards the Y+ section I hear things arent anything worth going out of your way for. If you're going with PS, take the first cabin.

I, personally, I prefer the B6 product and fly it whenever I can.

isitsafenow

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:25 pm

I would seriously look at CO out of EWR. I think they still feed the Y crowd free.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

Ansett767
Topic Author

Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:39 pm

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 7):
I would seriously look at CO out of EWR. I think they still feed the Y crowd free.
safe

Thanks for the tip but they appear to be over $500 one way whereas other airlines are all between $180 and 300.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 5):
My recommendation is either B6 or VX. They both have very good IFE selections. As for food, my recommendation is to buy food on the ground and take it aboard. I guarantee you can predict what you will be craving far better than the airline can.

OK. thanks for the tip off re food!

UA - P.s. does not offer much frills in Y class since eliminating meals, but the few extra inches of extra leg room for a tall flyer like me makes all the difference in the world. Like AA meals can be purchased.

Good to know - this might be the deciding factor....

B6 sounds good too but only for my friend as she's staying on to visit LA while I am gonna connect onto my flight to Sydney that evening.... so a community airport doesn't work for me.

Alitalia744

Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:12 pm

If you're going Y outta JFK I'd say go for either DL or B6.

Both offer TV/AVOD at every seat (altho DL occasionally has subs). Meals for purchase on both are decent.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

joeycapps

Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:03 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 9):
Meals for purchase on both are decent.

On DL, yes. On B6 however, the snack bar is quite a treat. No BOB on B6.

Alitalia744

Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:36 pm

Quoting JOEYCAPPS (Reply 10):
On DL, yes. On B6 however, the snack bar is quite a treat. No BOB on B6.

Sorry meant to say take DL or VX, not B6.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

PHXmd80

Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:05 am

If you're doing a round trip, do B6 there and VX back, and give us a TR.

PHXmd80

(B6/VX TR!!!  crossfingers , B6/VX TR!!!  crossfingers , B6/VX TR!!!  crossfingers  )

joeycapps

Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:21 am

Quoting PHXmd80 (Reply 12):
If you're doing a round trip, do B6 there and VX back, and give us a TR.

PHXmd80

(B6/VX TR!!! , B6/VX TR!!! , B6/VX TR!!! )

Couldn't agree more.

I remember reading a B6/Song TR but it really wasnt a comparable product. VX and B6 have their difference in products, but the main cabin seems to be pretty comparable.

MTSUATC

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:01 am

I've flown this route on UA,and AA, in all classes of service. If your going first or businees then UA hands down wins. Coach I would go for UA also. The cabin is much roomier with less seats and the 5in does make a big deal. Yes service isn't all that great in Y but really what airlines Y service is now besides CO. I've never take DL on that route so I can't comment but I've never been a fan of DL. If you want to try something new try VX I would like to try them out. My vote would be for UA or VX.

DrLibra

Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:23 am

I would say Virgin America or Continental.

KU747

Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:17 pm

VX all the way, you will not regret it.
707,727,73all,741,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,77all,300,310,319,320,321,332,333,343,346, L10,L15,DC10,MD11,SSC,VC10

exFATboy

Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:05 am

LAXintl's post pretty much covers all the bases for you, except that if your stay is short and your destination is actually New Jersey, CO into EWR will cut a few hours and some expense off your travel to and from the airport and even if the fare is a little higher, it could be worth it.

On the other hand, if your stay is longer or access to NJ isn't a consideration, CO is nothing special - except for "meals" (in coach they're usually nothing to write home about, just ambitious snacks) at mealtimes CO is pretty much the same as AA or non-"p.s." UA. And if it's not a mealtime, all CO has is pretzels - no buy-on-board. (Although if you're like me and just buy stuff at the airport, you may not care.) If the CO price drops, then you could consider it - you can get to Manhattan just as conveniently from EWR as you can from JFK.

I've flown "p.s." to SFO, and have to admit I don't think it's worth it - if you're not tall (and I'm not), then coach in "p.s." isn't really worth the extra dosh, and if you are you can get the extra space on JetBlue cheaper, and while there's no meals, snacks are free.

And if FF miles aren't a consideration, then I agree with the consensus so far, give Virgin Atlantic a try! Or Virgin Atlantic one way, JetBlue the other, which would also let you check out the new Terminal 5 at JFK. Add me to the list of people who'd love to see that trip report...