Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gosimeon
Topic Author

Transferring In Atlanta

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:37 pm

Hey all.

I just booked my J1 Work and Summer Visa and flights. It allows me, as a student, to travel and work in the US next summer. So, the flights were booked for me from what I wanted. The flights look like this:
Delta 165
Dublin, Ireland (DUB)
Gate: N/A
9:30am
27 May 2009 New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)
11:50am
27 May 2009 Coach (L) Confirmed
Delta 641
New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)
7:15pm
1 Jun 2009 Portland, OR (PDX)
11:01pm
1 Jun 2009 Coach (L) Confirmed
Delta 1538
Portland, OR (PDX)
11:40am
27 Aug 2009 Atlanta, GA (ATL)
South Terminal
7:21pm
27 Aug 2009 Coach (L) Confirmed
Delta 176
Atlanta, GA (ATL)
South Terminal
8:25pm
27 Aug 2009 Dublin, Ireland (DUB)
9:15am
28 Aug 2009 Coach (L) Confirmed

Just one problem. Coming home in August, I am being given just one hour to change flights in Atlanta. I know it's the same terminal, but still, is this a bit too close for comfort? If my flight from PDX is delayed, what will DL do?

Thanks a mil!

flynavy

RE: Transferring In Atlanta

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:42 pm

Quoting Gosimeon (Thread starter):
I know it's the same terminal, but still, is this a bit too close for comfort?

It is not the same terminal per se. South and North terminal references in ATL are the same exact building. North refers to the north end, south to the south end.

Your flight to DUB will more than likely depart out of Concourse E (the international concourse), however there is also a chance it would depart from Concourse T. Your flight from PDX will arrive on concourse T, A, B, or E.

One hour in ATL is cutting it VERY close. I wouldn't recommend it.

[Edited 2008-11-28 08:42:56]
Change is: one airline, six continents!

DiscoverCSG

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:54 pm

Delta 1538
Portland, OR (PDX)
11:40am
27 Aug 2009 Atlanta, GA (ATL)
South Terminal
7:21pm
27 Aug 2009 Coach (L) Confirmed
Delta 176
Atlanta, GA (ATL)
South Terminal
8:25pm
27 Aug 2009 Dublin, Ireland (DUB)
9:15am
28 Aug 2009 Coach (L) Confirmed

Agreed. A 64-minute connection changing concourses is just doable if the inbound flight is on time - as Flynavy pointed out, it's likely you'll have to change concourses. With even a 10-15 late arrival (this or longer is not at all out of the question), you're unlikely to make it.

If you do miss the connection, DL would put you on standby for the next night's ATL-DUB, or else reroute you through JFK the next day. If the delay is attributable to ATC or weather, as most are, you'll be paying for a hotel room.

I would try to change to the earlier PDX-ATL flight, leaving at 6:15 a.m. and arriving ATL at 1:57 p.m. That seems like a long connection, and it is ... but ATL is a big airport to explore, with plenty of decent food options, plus free Wifi in Concourse E and select other locations like outside the *cough*CO Presidents Club *cough* in Concourse D. This is the more reliable way to go if you want to connect in ATL.

luv2fly

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:54 pm

The other thing is by August you will have a slew of schedule changes to say the least, so I would not worry about it until it gets closer to departure date.
You can cut the irony with a knife

MOBflyer

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:55 pm

Just one problem. Coming home in August, I am being given just one hour to change flights in Atlanta. I know it's the same terminal, but still, is this a bit too close for comfort? If my flight from PDX is delayed, what will DL do?

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 1):
One hour in ATL is cutting it VERY close. I wouldn't recommend it.

I was flying MOB-ATL-DCA in a party of 6 with a 55 minute connection before. The MOB-ATL segment got caught in a holding pattern, and we landed with less than 10 minutes till scheduled departure to DCA. Three of our party got on the plane and were seated, while the rest of us waited on the next train... we caught the gate agent as she was coming up from the jetway. They let us onboard, and somehow our bags made it.

1 hour is plenty time to transit the airport even from the most distant gates, assuming that your arriving flight it fine and on time.

citationjet

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:57 pm

One of my employees had a scheduled 40 minute connection in ATL recently. The connection was between a domestic commuter inbound ATL flight to an internaional flight from ATL to SVO, involving changing terminals. The inbound comuter flight was 20 minutes late. He made the 20 minute connection, and his bags were the first off the plane in Moscow. DL was waiting with an electric cart to take him to the gate. 40 minutes was a legal connection, but not a smart thing to schedule.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

mayor

Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:00 pm

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 4):
1 hour is plenty time to transit the airport even from the most distant gates, assuming that your arriving flight it fine and on time.

It's an acceptable conx time if you are going from domestic to domestic, however, coming in on an int'l. flight connecting to a domestic can be a nightmare. By the time you pickup your bags, clear customs, RE-check your bags and then go thru security, again, most if not all of that time can get eaten up. And that's if your int'l flight is on time.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

flynavy

Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:00 pm

Nonsense. This is rediculous advice to give anyone.

And if your arriving flight from PDX lands out in BFE on runway 10/28 ON TIME, kiss your 60-minute connection goodbye. Period.

[Edited 2008-11-28 09:09:04]

DiscoverCSG

Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:27 pm

Quoting CitationJet (Reply 5):
40 minutes was a legal connection, but not a smart thing to schedule.

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 7):
And if your arriving flight from PDX lands out in BFE on runway 10/28 ON TIME, kiss your 60-minute connection goodbye. Period.

Like I said,

Quoting DiscoverCSG (Reply 2):
A 64-minute connection changing concourses is just doable if the inbound flight is on time

... and there are several very common reasons why your inbound flight could be late. Even if it's just a little late, you may be out of luck.

In other words, don't try this unless it's truly your only option - and it's not your only option.

flynavy

Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:32 pm

Quoting DiscoverCSG (Reply 8):

If I were him, connecting to a flight to Dublin, which Delta serves only once per day, I would be sure I had plenty of time to connect. It's a no brainer.

Give yourself enough time to connect, or bring a sleeping bag. You'll need it if you don't.

deltairlines

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:38 pm

64 minutes is a cakewalk in ATL. More than enough time to stop in the Crown Room Club for a drink, even going from E36 to T1.

Now, I travel domestically only, so I can always count on getting on the next flight out. Internationally, I might leave a little bit more time.

But as a Platinum that's connected in ATL 20+ times this year, I wouldn't blink over a 64 minute connection in ATL.