staralliance38
Topic Author

Best US City To Connect/Transit In?

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:41 pm

What US city do you prefer to transit in?

I love Charlotte/Douglas! Great hospitality, the main atrium is amazing, and the rocking chairs give it the personal touch.
Roar, lion, roar

NWADC9

RE: Best US City To Connect/Transit In?

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:26 am

DTW's McNamara Terminal - LOVE the tunnel and the fountain! Train's pretty convenient if you're in a hurry to get from one end to the other
MSP's Lindbergh Terminal - Two words - Observation Deck
DEN - I just love Denver. Plus, there's a free zoo at Concourse A if you catch my drift  Wink
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

breaker1011

Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:06 am

CVG #1 for sure in my book.

Free Zoo?
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid. J. Wayne

staralliance38
Topic Author

Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:01 pm

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 1):
DTW's McNamara Terminal - LOVE the tunnel and the fountain! Train's pretty convenient if you're in a hurry to get from one end to the other

I miss DTW. Haven't flown NWA in so long  Sad. Hope I can go back when I use my award ticket  Smile.

Quoting Breaker1011 (Reply 2):
CVG #1 for sure in my book.

I really wnt to visit CVG. It would look so good in my flightmemory  Sad

Quoting Breaker1011 (Reply 2):
Free Zoo?

Frontier Airlines  Smile
Roar, lion, roar

aace24

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:00 pm

DFW - Never had any huge problems with delays and such, and I love the design.

CLT - Nice and easy, not too big and easy to make a connection from one end to the other.

And I'll add another vote for Denver, it's probably my favorite airport in the US.

PGNCS

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:50 pm

CVG and CLT are tops for me, but MSP is also great now with the trams and walkways in place. DTW is nice also, and DEN is not bad, though I hate the train: I would prefer to walk between concourses and skip the circus music.

For the mega-airports, ATL is bland but efficient, and is vastly preferable for international connections over DFW, LAX, MIA (least organized, rudest airport I have ever transited), or the abysmal JFK.

deltairlines

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:22 pm

DTW by far for me. Very open, very easy to get around, WorldClubs are in good locations - all are good things to me.

Only drawback to DTW (to me) is the tunnel - just don't like the changing colors.

columba

Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:04 am

I have arrived in EWR, JFK, ATL and DTW and I think DTW is the best of them all.
Terminal is great and it was the fastest immigration I have ever experienced.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

bananaboy

Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:39 pm

IMHO, having tried LAX,SFO,IAD,ORD,MIA,BOS and DEN, I would say DEN would be by far the easiest to transit through. As a non US national, the lack of international arrivals made getting through immigration a dream. After DEN, my vote would be for SFO.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

hjulicher

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:37 pm

My vote goes to DTW, it just doesn't get better. In fact, I'll tell you all a little secret... If you're arriving at the airport to drop someone off or are departing. Valet your car at the Westin, it's only 7 dollars for 4 hours, that's cheaper than parking yourself, and then go to the Dema Restaurant for a nice meal before your flight. There's a security check-point there too, so it's easy sailing. Be careful though, because the security check-point there closes at 7pm.

Inside the terminal, DTW offers a lot of neat things I haven't seen at other airports. There is a wine tasting lounge as well as a decent Sushi restaurant with to-go availability. The terminal is large and airy, and not crowded. Security is also a breeze with 4 different entrances at the McNamara terminal.

DFW seemed very nice to me, I was in Terminal D though. Immigrations went buy quickly, but the restaurant selections seemed limited. I had a 4 hour layover there though.

I cannot comment on other airports because I usually don't connect, but I can give you a list of airports to avoid connecting in if that helps?

PHL, JFK, EWR (Delay prone).
Detroit Moves the World!
LH 442

JetBlueAUS

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:34 am

Definitely DEN and DFW.  Smile
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

teo747

Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:28 am

DEN is probably the easiest airport I've connected in since there aren't any terminal or concourse changes when connecting, but my favorite airport to connect in is MSP - it's the one airport where I actually go out of my way to schedule long layovers so I can enjoy the fantastic and quiet observation deck in the D concourse. I just wish it were over on the other side of the airport overlooking the F & G concourses where most of the bigger planes are parked and take off/land!

HT

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:00 am

Quoting Teo747 (Reply 11):
DEN is probably the easiest airport I've connected in since there aren't any terminal or concourse changes when connecting,

UA arrives at Concourse B whereas LH departs from Concourse A.

BTW, is there no Asian food outlet left at Concourse B ? DIA's (DEN) website lists only a Panda Express at Concourse A ...
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

thegman

Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:15 am

Quoting AAce24 (Reply 4):

CLT - Nice and easy, not too big and easy to make a connection from one end to the other.

I love it when coming back home and someone asks a FA about connecting distances from say E to D or even E to C. It seems a lot of times the FA doesn't really know the airport and unconsciously scares the PAX that they could miss their connection.

I don't really connect at all anymore. But I know where I hate.

ATL
PHL
LAX

And ground transport at PHX is equally confusing as well.

warreng24

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:10 am

SEA is also a great place to connect or do an international transit.

ZBBYLW

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:22 am

Out of the airports I have been to in the states (ATL, JFK, DFW, ORD, MIA, MCO, SEA, LAX, SFO, HNL, OGG, DAY and MSP) I have only connected in these four: PDX, ORD, LAX and HNL.

PDX was not the most efficent, I came in on QK and connected on to UA.
ORD was great! Both times I arrived on AC and had to connect to UA and AA. I found the airport very well laid out (in comparrison to the four others in the states). This was my favourite.
LAX sucked. I arrived on UA and was connecting on to QF, the whole "bus" that brings you to the different terminals (that does not show up on time) and the whole TBIT building is a mess. I have come into LAX quite a few times and that is not to bad (when exiting at LAX) but to connect it was really a mess.
HNL was ok, YVR-HNL-SYD, 2x SYD-HNL-YVR as well as OGG-HNL-SYD I can not say I really was to happy with the fact that we all had to disembark (at midnight) and go through customs just to get back onto the airplane bound for Canada. It seemed rather pointless.

ORD gets top marks from me for connecting!

I think YVR, YYZ, FRA, and HKG are my favourite for connecting though world wide! Mind you the YVR and YYZ flight always had a domestic leg involved (on either end) which makes it easier.
Keep the shinny side up!

sk601

Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:08 pm

Best:
DTW NW World gateway.

I also like:
MSP, SLC en ATL.

PanAm747

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:54 pm

Avoid transitting at ORD at all costs - it is a FABULOUS airport for O&D, but it can a hell on earth for connecting during periods of hot, cold, windy, still air, rainy, or dry conditions.

I'm being facetious, but having experienced a United Express gate log jam, it ain't pretty.

The above information goes for ATL as well. The design, in theory, works tremendously well, but Mother Nature can be a real b**** sometimes.

MSP probably has the most helpful and friendly people to direct you and get you on your way. The cart drivers sometimes drive at speed akin to a drunken shriner convention, but if you hang on, you'll be fine.

DEN and DTW are as close to idiot-proof as one could possibly get, but every time man thinks he's made something idiot-proof, God makes a better idiot.

DFW used to be a nightmare due to the huge distances, but the SkyLink train makes this one of the easiest airports in the U.S. to deal with. Vast distances are nothing thanks to the NASCAR-speed train!!

SLC is easy and scenic as well!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

staralliance38
Topic Author

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:25 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 17):
but Mother Nature can be a real b**** sometimes.

That's just during her cycle  Wow!

Her Seasonal and Weather Cycle  Smile
Roar, lion, roar