aace24
Topic Author

What Do You Wear When You Fly?

Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:40 pm

Do you like to dress up?

Or wear whatever is comfortable?

I'll usually just go with a pair of khakis and a polo, it's what I feel most comfortable in.

As for the shoes, I'll go with a nice pair of Sperry docksiders.

alfa75

RE: What Do You Wear When You Fly?

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:18 pm

I usually wear jeans, a nice shirt, and a sport coat. Oh, and some slip on shoes like my Merrell Jungle Mocs so I can get through security easier and so I can take them off on the plane easier!
The best things in life aren't things!

Leskova

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:54 pm

Usually the same things that I wear in everyday life, or at the office. Comfortable, clean, intact...  Wink

I won't put on a suit specifically for a flight, but I'll always wear something like either dark slacks or jeans, a shirt (long sleeve) or a good sweater/pullover. I've never boarded a plane wearing either shorts or a T-Shirt or torn clothes - and I indend to keep it that way.
Smile - it confuses people!

wilco737

Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:03 pm

Quoting AAce24 (Thread starter):
Do you like to dress up?

For work: I have to. shirt, tie etc, all that stuff & a hat  covereyes 

When I travel private I usually put on a proper jeans, a shirt. Nothing too fancy, but not too shabby as well.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

B747forever

Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:33 pm

I always wear clothes that I am comfortable in. Usually a pair of jeans (long during winter, short during summer time) and a shirt.
Work Hard, Fly Right

[email protected]

Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:50 pm

I wear what I usually wear: jeans and a shirt. Or if I am travelling for business reasons I wear a suit.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

deltairlines

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Depends. A lot of my travel happens after I have gone into the office for the day, and I'm flying out that afternoon. Thus, I'll wear what I wear to the office - some days it's a pair of slacks and a collared shirt, other days it's jeans and a golf shirt (depends on what day of the week it is - we have pretty casual Fridays at work, and you can pay a dollar to have a casual day any other day of the week). On weekends, it's pretty much jeans and a t-shirt. Don't really wear shorts on a plane just because I find that it can get pretty cold on planes (especially if my upgrade doesn't clear and I'm stuck in coach, which means I'm probably in an exit row).

RussianJet

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:54 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 3):
For work: I have to. shirt, tie etc, all that stuff & a hat

What, you don't wear your hula skirt to work??  duck 

I just wear normal clothes when I fly, casual and comfortable.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Baexecutive

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:32 pm

Usually depends on the destination and/or class of travel, for example if I'm travelling to BDA or JFK in First/Club I usually wear trousers and a shirt however if I'm travelling domestic, european or to a 'leisure' destination such as Orlando (in Club World) I wear jeans and t-shirt/light sweater, suppose its just what you feel comfortable in at the end of the day.

sebjacques92

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:43 pm

It depends where im flying, for cooler destinations or non recreational flight i just wear jeans and a t-shirt with a hoodie. If i am travelling to a hot destination then i will wear long shorts and a t-shirt with a sports hoodie. The day i get to fly first class or business class though i will dress a bit smarter with a shirt and some smart trousers.

Seb  airplane 

HT

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:33 pm

Standard dressing independing of travel class:

Black shoes
Dark-grey pair of trousers with a flexible waist
Polo-shirt
Sweater

Depending on destination and/or weather, any coat or jacket is optional (often goes into checked luggage).
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

JetBlueAUS

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:39 am

Usually I wear a nice pair of comfortable jeans and a shirt or polo.  Smile
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

LipeGIG

Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:57 am

Do you like to dress up?

Depends... if need to travel on business for a same day meeting, suit + shirt + tie....

If it's a business trip with meetings just on the next day, and i have time to go to the hotel or home, or even a leisure trip, jeans + a nice shirt.
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

jfktowerfan
Editor

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:13 am

I always wear jeans, sneakers, cotton shirt. First for comfort, second for safety sounds silly but if something happens I want to be able to have my best chances at survival.

Corey
C'mon Man

OHLHD

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:40 am

Most of the time I travel with ZED tickets so I wear proper clothes. I am not overdressed but look ok. Same when I travel on duty.

The only time I wear shorts or sport shoes is when I purchase some tickets and god I love that. Is always more comfortable then being " forced " to wear nice shoes, trousers and shirts.  Smile

RAFVC10

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:18 am

Depend if my flight is for business or pleasure...

If for Business, a suit with jacket and tie... if for pleasure, jeans, a T-shirt and training shoes...

Regards,

Gerard
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

fatmirjusufi

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:58 pm

I wear clothes that I feel comfortable. Jeans and shirt.

Fatmir

srbmod

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Even though it's been a number of years since my non-rev days, I still tend to dress "business casual" when I fly. A button down shirt, some sort of khaki-style pants, maybe a sport coat and a pair of slip-on "dressy casual" shoes (Just makes it a little easier when going through security.).

ShyFlyer

Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:23 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 17):
I still tend to dress "business casual" when I fly.

Same here, though I've been known to go with a shirt & tie on occasion.
I lift things up and put them down.

fbgdavidson

Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:26 pm

Do you like to dress up?

No, why would I? I can't remember who said it but I like it, 'Dress codes went down with the Hindenburg'...

I never bother 'dressing up' for flying, whether in premium classes or not. I'm purely for comfort, so usually a pair of jeans with some brown loafers (easy to slip on and off for security) and a shirt with sweater or zip up fleece if cold so less to take off or part with for security.

On longhaul I'll wear the supplied pyjamas on flights where they are handed out (day or night) and on overnight flights where they aren't I bring my own. They act as a great sweat absorber, clothes preserver and all-in-one napkin!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

ERJ135

Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:48 pm

Generally for leasure travel it would be a short sleeve shirt and cotton pants and I'd have a pair of shorts in my hand luggage to change into if it was hot on arrival. If travelling to cooler ports I carry a padded jacket and I sometimes take a down filled jacket that compacts into a tiny pocket when not needed.

Work trips require a suit and tie on arrival which I sometimes cheat with and change at the airport.

On December 3rd, I arrived at Koror in Palau for a 6 month transfer, ( I love it here). This trip I wore just a t-shirt and shorts and sandals, which was requested and suggested by the company I work for and is also what I will wear every day to work here. Considering the distance from Sydney could be flown in about 7 hours I was surprised that the three connecting flights took 23 hous to complete! I could have been in London faster!
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

shamrock321

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:40 pm

Like many when I travel for business witch Ive done 3 times, Ill wear shirt, tie etc.

When I travel for pleasure itll be whatever I want, normally jeans, combats etc but its normally what Im comfortable in.

aace24
Topic Author

Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:17 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 19):
No, why would I? I can't remember who said it but I like it, 'Dress codes went down with the Hindenburg'...

I didn't mean dress up as in suit and tie like in the golden age of travel.

I just purely meant khakis and maybe a sport coat. I'm one of the ones in the group "if you look better you feel better", but to each his own...

sander91

Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:45 am

Having traveled on very few non non-rev flights I have always been dressed business casual, if you wanna call it that. At the age of 17, it sounds kind of silly saying business casual, but I prefer wearing a shirt, a pair of khaki pants (somewhat dress pants, but not really) and a nice pair of shoes (ideally black, though not dress shoes - those shiny-ones).

I guess you never get out of the required dress code when flying non-rev.. I do tend to think that if you're dressed nicely, you'll be more likely to get an upgrade if the flight is overbooked in Economy.. Maybe that's just me..?

Anyway, matter of fact is, that I feel very comfortable dressing "business casual" even though I'm only 17.

lesismore

Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:12 am

Something I heard some time ago, was to always dress well when flying. Although I wear jeans and khakis mostly, I try to wear collared shirts and look neat. Sweatpants, shorts, and flip-flops are a no-no.
I'm a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down. - Abe Lincoln

SA7700

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:31 am

It depends on the occasion. When travelling for business, which usually involves a same-day return flight, I dress business like. Come summer-time when many people in South Africa head to the coast for the December holidays, most passengers travel with casual clothing e.g. shorts, sneakers and a button-shirt or T-shirt. Thankfully I haven’t seen anyone flying in South Africa with a “wife beater”, thus far.

I’m not a slob, but even when flying International Business Class, I dress comfortably. E.g. branded track-suit pants, branded T-shirt, clean sneakers and a neat jacket (when travelling to colder climates). I have had the privilege of travelling quite a bit and did my fair share of dressing up for the occasion – I still do so when flying International First Class. That being said, I have passed the point where I feel that I should fly in uncomfortable clothing on long-haul flights; in order to conform to certain people’s opinions of what the “exact, appropriate clothing” is for flying.

I pay for my flights, be it in Economy-, Business-, or First Class. On occasions I use FF mileage to upgrade or redeem a ticket. I’m not an obnoxious person and don’t bother fellow passengers. On the contrary, I should be a “delight” when seated next to you, as I always shower (where-ever possible) before boarding a flight. I wear comfortable clothing as I can see no sense in flying in discomfort on flights like: JNB-SYD-JNB, JNB-IAD-JNB, etc. Second of all, when I need to remove less items from my person e.g. belt, etc. at airport security check-points; I feel less stressed. I move quicker through the screening process and lastly save my fellow passengers, behind me in the line, some time.  Wink

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

WAC

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:38 am

i never ever wear a coat when flying...i always pack it in the checked luggage...I can't stand wearing coats in warm stuffy airports. and i can t be arsed to carry it around! as for the rest well smart casual- the most comfortable.

Qantasistheway

Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:14 pm

I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt and a jumper or jacket depending on where I am flying to. This stays the same regardless of travel class, of course i wear nice branded clothing - nothing cheap looking. On long haul flights I usually change into sweat pants and a hoodie for comfort, or I use the provided pajamas. I'd rather look nice in the airport than in the plane, where on most long-haul flights most people couldn't care less what you are wearing, as long as it's decent.

flymia

Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Polo and jeans for most flights. But if I am flying a flight like MIA-NAS I might wear a pair of khakis shorts and a polo. I hate it when I get on a plane and see people in basketball shorts, sandals and a T-shirt. Sure flying is not what it used to be, but I believe that people should present them selves well while traveling.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

eric

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Out of curiosity, those that list "nice [and] branded" clothing - what brands are nice?

As for me, overnight flight I will change to PJ's in the lounge if I know they are not provided onboard. For daytime, regular clothes and loafers.
n

Yflyer

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:28 pm

For most of my attire, I don't dress any differently than I would dress any other day. That could be shorts and a tshirt in the summer, or jeans or maybe khakis and a collared shirt during the winter. My office has a pretty relaxed dress code, so there's not even much difference between what I wear to work and what wear everywhere else.

However, note that I said most of my attire above. I have recently started the tradition of wearing really outrageous socks when I fly. I figure if the TSA is going to make me take my shoes off, I might as well have a little fun.  Smile

Qantasistheway

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Quoting Eric (Reply 29):
Out of curiosity, those that list "nice [and] branded" clothing - what brands are nice?

Well gennerally the clothes that a fashionable 16 year old would wear  tongue 

For me, and this is a personel taste, I usually opt for my nicer clothing such as Ed Hardy or Diesel and then I usually change into an Australian Rugby Jumper on overnight or longer flights.

PanAm747

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:04 pm

Most of the time when I fly I am attending a rodeo (I am a member of the organization and I can ride a horse, but I do not compete), so my usual attire is what I call "cowboy formal" - meaning dress black jeans (Wranglers, of course), boots, formal long sleeve shirt, and my black felt Stetson cowboy hat. The hat can be a pain to deal with, but if my luggage gets separated from me for some reason (with the other hat), I at least have one outfit with me.

When I am NOT travelling for a rodeo, I usually wear Wrangler's blue jeans - they are like a second skin to me - along with a long sleeve shirt (not a heavy one, but enough to cover my arms), and comfortable shoes that slip on and off easily. Not formal, but not slouchy.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

vatveng

Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:58 am

I put my sneakers in my carry-on until I'm past security. Up until security, I wear flip-flops. After security, if my gate's close I'll leave the flip-flops on until I get to the gate and then change into my sneakers. If I have to ride a train or walk half a mile to my gate I'll find a chair and change immediately after security.

I usually fly in jeans and a sweatshirt.

LDIkaros

Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:09 am

I often fly out of SFO, going to SE Asia, South America, or Europe (Germany). As most of my trips involve long-haul flights my main concern is to dress comfortably for the flight. I usually wear loose fitting long pants, a long-sleeved shirt (or sweater for colder destinations), and shoes such as slippers that are comfortable and easy to wear.

For flights within the US I tend to dress casually. Depending on the season I either wear jeans, a sweater, and/or a coat or I fly in my shorts, t-shirt, and sandals.

allrite

Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:29 am

I love boarding the Sydney to Canberra Qantas flights wearing jeans and a polo shirt (which is considered dressing up for me) and being surrounded by suited consultants and public servants. Everyone else is looking serious while I am relaxing (actually trying to ignore turbulence) snapping photos the whole way.

I used to fly wearing shorts and t-shirts (and runners - always casual footwear) and still would if on a domestic holiday. If flying internationally (ie Asia) I usually wear long, but thin, travel slacks because I'm passing through customs and immigration and it's a bit more respectful to the culture.

Though I usually wear a t-shirt for comfort, it is never a "loud" or offensive shirt. Fellow Australians who enter another country wearing shirts advertising beer brands or violence (camouflage for example) really irritate me.
I like artificial banana essence!

57AZ

Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:54 am

Generally I wear a dress shirt (minus tie), slacks and a sport jacket if flying commercial. I'll dress casual if flying private-depending on what type of flying planned on.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

CrimsonNL

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:18 am

I always dress casual, as I do so on flights. I never wear shorts or sandals on a flight. (not ever I must add) I remember a story of a man entering an MP plane without a T-Shirt, and the captain told him to put on a shirt because "This isn't a sightseeing boat"

I agree completely with him as I think you should dress properly if 250 people are forced to be around you for some hours!
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

vhtje

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Depends on the class of travel, the distance and the purpose of the trip.

Short haul work trip (irrespective of class): suit and tie - and pray the seat has a coat hook if in cattle, otherwise I hand it to the crew.

Short haul leisure club: slacks and jacket (which I hand to the crew to hang)

Long haul club (irrespective of purpose): slacks and jacket (ditto handing the jacket to the crew)

Long haul cattle: comfortable stretch slacks, a collared shirt which does not crease easily, plus a big black leather jacket which covers a multitude of sins and doubles as a blanket (I choose a leather jacket because it does not crease when stuffed under the seat in front of me or in the overhead bins)

Irrespective of distance or class, I ALWAYS wear slip-on shoes for convenience and speed getting through security. For a long haul it's also easier slipping them off and putting them back on again (I make use of the supplied socks to cover any unpleasant smells)
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

CXA330300

Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:18 am

Jeans, polo shirt, sweater, dark shoes and thick socks for the plane-chills. I almost always find myself cold on planes.

Add to that protective bracelets (charms, chamsa, anti-evil-eye stuff) and I'm set to go.
Home airport now: DCA/IAD

golf1411

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:42 am

I usually were jeans.
Depends what flight. When I come back from holiday I usually were shorts.
golf1411