legacytravel
Topic Author

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:43 am

On Saturday Jan 3 I flew YX from LGA to MKE and the LGA terminal was just filthy. The floor were dirty, airport monitors did not work. The B gates were unclean as well. I walked down to the FL gates and they were just as bad. I believe that would be the airports responsibility to keep everything neat, tidy and in working order amI correct?

Mark in MKE
I love the smell of Jet fuel in the Morning

Elite

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:49 am

I have only been in LGA once, but from my experience it wasn't that bad. Yes, it was run down, but it took me 30 seconds - really, just 30 seconds - to go from the plane into a taxi just outside. I loved it.

Aer Lingus

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:04 pm

i've been in the northwest airlines terminal (also DL terminal i think) and that was pretty okay. reasoanbly spacious and adequate facilities and it was clean. that was summer 2007.

SQ25J

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:57 pm

Legacytravel-While I agree 100% with your summation of LGA...this is not unusual with most major airports worldwide....as they are heavily trafficed. With the exception of a few small and new airports.....

Can ANYONE name a major airport that is consistently clean?

b707forever

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:58 pm

The "low cost carrier" gates are a complete mess at LGA. AA, DL, UA and even US are OK, as well as the shuttle terminal, however, you're right in your assessment of the low cost carrier finger, it's disgusting. I remember flying ATA and being stunned by how disgusting it was and wondered who was responsible for its state.

MEA-707

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:01 pm

I like the historical athmosphere of LGA, the location at the water which makes for interesting landings and climb outs. You still recognize the background of old Electra, 727 and 1-11 pictures. I always try to mix a LGA flight in my itenerary if I visit NYC.
The worst thing is the public transport, it hasn't a subway stop at the terminal and limited other options.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

EWRCabincrew

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:12 pm

Quoting SQ25J (Reply 3):

HNL, NRT, HKG, SIN...there is four for a start.
You can't cure stupid

saab2000

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:18 pm

Quoting SQ25J (Reply 3):

My experience is that ZRH is very clean and a very nice place to fly to and from. Clean, low stress, competent workers, etc.

In the US I have found MSP and MKE to be pretty nice.

The OP's comments on LGA are spot on in my opinion. It's filthy and overcrowded and run down.
smrtrthnu

GXMan

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:24 pm

I've always found the US terminal to be in good shape. It isn't brand new, but it is always clean.

DCA is always clean. Just finished a lot of trips through EWR C terminal, it is in great shape- at least the secured area.
Steve

plateman

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Quoting SQ25J (Reply 3):

Quoting GXMan (Reply 8):
DCA is always clean.

The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authorities does seem to do a great job.

Both DCA and IAD (non-United gates) are always spotless and bathrooms are constantly being cleaned..
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

seabosdca

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Quoting B707forever (Reply 4):
The "low cost carrier" gates are a complete mess at LGA. AA, DL, UA and even US are OK

checkmark 

I usually am on US or DL when flying into LGA, and the airport makes little sense, but those terminals are as clean and serviceable as anything else on the East Coast. (Generally speaking, all other regions of the country do better than the East Coast at keeping things clean and pleasant.)

What is worse about LGA is the transportation situation. No mass transit to speak of (one local bus line that goes a short distance into Queens), expensive taxi rides, and a shady town car mafia that loves to hover over passengers and try to intimidate them into unlicensed town cars.

georgiaame

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:32 pm

Quoting SQ25J (Reply 3):

ATL Hartsfield. A bit run down in places, but the new tile floors are always spotless. And it just happens to be the busiest airport in the States.

Progressive New Yorkers love those conditions, always have. That's one of the reasons why I voted with my feet 25 years ago.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

SQ25J

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:37 pm

I know SIN is always rated among the top airports in world, (I was only once over 10 yrs ago), but I will conceed SIN being good.

HKG-my experience in 2007....good, but heavily trafficed.

HNL....my opinion fair

ZRH...many times in late 90's...disappointing

DCA....good early morning+late evening, Saturdays

since T8 at JFK is brand new...this is, (should be), one of the better ones for near future

also B concourse at IAD is decent

CRP has fairly nice and well-maintained terminal.

most Spanish airports, (AENA)...have good quality standards

SQ25J

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:45 pm

GeorgiaAME-respectfully disagree with ATL....although it is better than other aiports of comparable size

Having transited 100+ times in 90's and dozens in 2000's it is mostly satisfactory.
Exceptions, (I have noticed): E is very good!!!
T is horrible: Very few restrooms and the high density flights...also gate areas are often full of litter

AustrianZRH

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Quoting SQ25J (Reply 12):

A lot has changed since then  Smile. To the better, if my opinion counts  Smile Smile.

As to SIN: my girlfriend is not into aviation at all (Quote (with an ennerved look on her face): "Es ist doch nur ein Fluuugzeug." transl.: It's just a plaaaane), and even she was praising that airport with words as wonderful, beautiful, clean, etc., so that's probably not just a rumour.
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

Elite

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:07 pm

HKG-my experience in 2007....good, but heavily trafficed.

Voted World's Best Airport in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, and 2008...  Wink  Wink

SA7700

LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:09 pm

Quoting SeaBosDca (Reply 9):
What is worse about LGA is the transportation situation.

IMO some of the vendors in the terminals, especially in CTB-C, recreate the ambiance of a fruit & vegetable market in downtown Cairo. Maybe that is the actual New York image that the PANYNJ is going for?!  Wink

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

SWA TPA

RE: LGA A Disgustng Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Having worked at TPA for almost 9 years I certainly have to sing the praises for that airport. The janitors are constantly in motion around there cleaning the place from top to bottom, even the marble/granite walls in some of the terminals get wiped down daily.
Now that my main airport is JFK, I sure do miss the cleanliness of the bathrooms at TPA! The toilets at JFK seem to wear a never ending puddle of pee on the floors and seats of the ladies bathrooms. Ewwwwwwwwwww!  Sad

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

wjcandee

RE: LGA A Disgustng Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:22 pm

Welcome to New York! Now get out.

LGA is fine. I take flights from the (former) ATA/FL/etc finger all the time. They have spent money on the important stuff -- like completely redoing the security area so it moves very quickly, and changing the food vending a bit -- rather than worrying about whether the asthetics are depressing. The bathrooms are fine. The seats are fine.

Like most of NYC, sure it could be better, but it is hardly the disaster that you describe. If it's really traumatic, take one of the airlines that use another section of the airport, or fly, say, B6 from JFK or CO from EWR.

planeguy727

RE: LGA A Disgusting Airport

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:31 pm

What is worse about LGA is the transportation situation. No mass transit to speak of (one local bus line that goes a short distance into Queens), expensive taxi rides, and a shady town car mafia that loves to hover over passengers and try to intimidate them into unlicensed town cars.

Actually there are four MTA bus lines into/out of LGA - three go into queens and connnect with the subway system, one goes into manhattan and connects with the N,R,4,5,6,1,2,3,A,B,C,& D subway lines. That's a lot of connectivity with only one transfer. Plus there are buses to the PABT and Grand Central. I'll give you the no subway stop at the airport, but if you want public transport, you've got more options that most realize (or bother to check on). More info here: www.mta.info or www.panynj.com

I use public transit to/from LGA a couple of times per month. I'd rather do the subway to bus into LGA over the long subway + airtrain to JFK or the subway + NJ train + airtrain to EWR. And keep in mind - anywhere with public transit buses or subway in NYC to LGA is just $2. For that price it makes sense to expect a transfer or a little extra time.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

rwy04lga

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:36 pm

one local bus line that goes a short distance into Queens

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 18):
Welcome to New York! Now get out.

Saved me the trouble

Quoting Planeguy727 (Reply 19):
Actually there are four MTA bus lines into/out of LGA - three go into queens and connnect with the subway system, one goes into manhattan and connects with the N,R,4,5,6,1,2,3,A,B,C,& D subway lines. That's a lot of connectivity with only one transfer. Plus there are buses to the PABT and Grand Central

Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

kgaiflyer

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:38 pm

Quoting SQ25J (Reply 3):

No one has mentioned the McNamara terminal at DTW.
It's clean most of the time.

b707forever

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:40 pm

Cleanest, nicest, best'est' airport of late for me. No question, hands down, Barajas/Madrid Terminal 4. Spotless, spotless, spotless. I love love love that airport, but, frankly, can't stand I have to fly IB to use it for the routes I fly. But, I have found it, no matter what time I'm there, without question, terrific.

nycbjr

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:53 pm

I used to fly the DL Shuttle all the time out of the Marine Air Terminal.. Over the years with its restoration and facilities upgrades its turned out to be nice. And its like stepping back in time, the art deco design is really nice.

Agreed the main terminal could use some help, but I've found US and DL terminals to be nice and reasonably clean.

Transportation on the other hand, if u want to get anywhere quick, its a cab but costly, if you don't mind some extra time, can't beat the $2 metro card bus-subway.

oh and the livery cab mafia, I find it fun when they ask if u need a cab,, i say "No thanks find someone else" and then hop in a yellow cab. Kind of like saying kiss off hahaha

All and all I prefer JFK or EWR now, the LIRR to AirTrain is fast, as is NJT to AirTrain.

cheers

[Edited 2009-01-07 06:54:54]

chuchoteur

Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Quoting KGAIflyer (Reply 21):
It's clean most of the time.

I was actually going to mention DTW.

The Northwest/Skyteam lounge is impeccable, the shops are pretty good, the concourse is nice and clean...

The underground passage between the terminals is pretty nice, especially with the lighting effects they put in place...

The only thing I didn't like was the "spotted" (rather than tainted) huge window panes, that ruined all my pics of the snow-covered 747 I snapped... oh well!

ref ATL, the underground passage and the shuttle between terminal have taken a lot of wear and tear...

smcmac32msn

Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:47 pm

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 11):
ATL Hartsfield. A bit run down in places, but the new tile floors are always spotless. And it just happens to be the busiest airport in the States.

I have to agree. It is a bit run down, but good shape overall. There is somebody always cleaning it seems in one of the terminals.

Quoting KGAIflyer (Reply 21):

You beat me to it! I'm sure that the Airport Authority in DTW will make sure the new terminal will also be kept in good shape for the other airlines other than NW/SkyTeam.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

comorin

Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:09 pm

I love LGA. To judge an airport on Jan 31 may be a bit unfair!

As an EastSider it takes me just 15 minutes to get home and I can get from the gate to the cab rank in no time at all. It also has a romance that the other NYC airports don't have.

I think the OP has right to complain, however. NYC is getting dirtier again, and we need to keep our city cleaner than it is today.

osiris30

Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:17 pm

Quoting SQ25J (Reply 3):

Not sure whether or not you consider YYZ a major airport, but every time I've been in/through there I found it be clean with most/all equipment functioning as it should. However, just about all the PAX facilities at YYZ are at most 20 years old, so it has a bit of an advantage in terms of 'newness' to help with everything looking good.

What I do find 'impressive' about YYZ (I know their fees are in the league of there own), is that they basically rebuilt the entire PAX side of the airport over the last 17 years. If other airports (like LGA) saw that level of investment they would probably look a lot better too.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

san747

Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:25 pm

ALB, SAN, ONT, and SNA have always been bright and clean and well-kept when I've flown out of them...
Scotty doesn't know...

daviation

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:59 pm

Since I have lived in and near New York City for 52 years, it's hard for outsiders to understand the mindset of a New Yorker. Yes, the city and its entire infrastructure are run down. But somehow, everything works. And we like it this way! This is where we get the bad reputation, but we just don't have time for nonsense like making sure that the floors are spotless or the bathrooms are tidy! New York has an exciting energy that you don't find in most places, so we compromise and accept certain things for the excitement of living here.

Anyway, I've never found LGA to be a problem at all. I prefer EWR and SWF, and I think JFK is an unholy mess because of the various terminals and constant construction. And the public transportation options are very limited.

But my feeling is: who cares? So the airport is dirty. The city is exciting. You can keep your spotless DFW, I can't imagine anything that would interest me in Dallas. Now you can throw a pie in my face!
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

Viscount724

Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:36 am

Quoting SQ25J (Reply 3):

I always find ZRH, GVA, AMS, MUC (and other airports in Germany) very clean. PRG is another airport that always seems spotless. On the other hand LHR and CDG always seem dirty.

It's surprising you would find ZRH dirty. I consider it among the cleanest of airports.

san747

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:22 am

Quoting Daviation (Reply 29):
Anyway, I've never found LGA to be a problem at all. I prefer EWR and SWF, and I think JFK is an unholy mess because of the various terminals and constant construction. And the public transportation options are very limited.

Compared to LGA, I find JFK is much more easier to work with concerning public transportation. LGA doesn't have the AirTrain, or any direct subway connection for example...
Scotty doesn't know...

PanAm747

Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Quote:

SAN, SLC, DEN, and MSP come to mind. I've been in them at all times of day, morning through late evening, and all of them have always been spotless.

LGA's problem is that it is the airport nobody loves but everbody uses - it's too convenient for New Yorkers, but logistically speaking, how on earth would you renovate it? Close down entire wings?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

AA 777

Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:53 am

As others have said, LGA may not be the best airport, but given the circumstances I'll take LGA anyday. As long as your not there early AM you can get from the curb to the gate in 5 mins tops. Also, on the way out you can be in the car and on the way literally 5 minutes after getting to the gate.
CRJ-700 FO

JetBlueAUS

Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:06 am

Even though, LaGuardia isn't in great condition it still is much closer to Manhattan than JFK or EWR. Personally though, I do prefer JFK.  Smile
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

Elite

Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:13 am

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 34):

Actually, EWR isn't even in New York, but in New Jersey, but CO makes it seem like it is  Wink And it might even be closer to wherever you are going to than JFK.

hoons90

Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:32 am

What is worse about LGA is the transportation situation. No mass transit to speak of (one local bus line that goes a short distance into Queens)

The M60 bus takes you from LGA to Harlem and the northern edge of the Upper West Side.
I've used it at around 8PM on a weekday, it was a quick ride along the Grand Central Parkway and the Tri-Borough Bridge. If you want to get to Midtown you can get off at 125th and Lenox and take the 2 or 3 Express train straight to Midtown. You can also take the Q33, Q48, Q72 to the 7 train. I guess they could try to extend the N Train to LaGuardia in the future.

As for LGA, I've only used the Central Air Terminal. Didn't really notice any dirtyness, but some more amenities would be nice, such as more food options than that "Au Bon Pain" stand. Didn't enjoy being confined to a single concourse, either.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.