Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA757MIA
Topic Author

AA Ripped Me Off!

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:42 pm

A few days ago I started a thread explaining what had happened with a ticket I purchased and asking some questions about stand by travel... For some reason it got deleted!?

Well, long story short, I bought an Economy Fare ticket (Refundable, no change fee) and they issued a NON-REFUNDABLE TICKET! Unfortunately I didnt realized about the error until the day I was calling to cancel the ticket! I contacted the customer service department and they sent me this automated answer:

Quote:

AA Email:
"I am sorry you are disappointed with having to pay a fee for changing your ticket. At the same time, we are glad you've given us this opportunity to explain why the payment of this change fee was necessary.

We sell two basic types of tickets -- fully refundable and nonrefundable. A fully refundable ticket gives the customer complete flexibility to change their itinerary for no additional charge, or even cancel the trip altogether and receive a full refund. Customers who need this flexibility, or cannot make their travel arrangements in advance, generally pay a considerably higher fare.

However, many of our customers appreciate the opportunity to buy a lower fare ticket in exchange for giving up some of the flexibility of the fully refundable fares. One condition of the nonrefundable ticket is the change fee we collect when a customer needs to change their itinerary for whatever reason, including illness. While making a change to your nonrefundable ticket may seem like a simple transaction, it is actually costly for us to "return" a seat. Many changes to nonrefundable tickets are made relatively close to departure and many times, it's too late for us to resell the seat. As a result, our inventory can "spoil."

The change fee is not meant to deter you from changing your plans. The fee is collected in association with the customer benefit of changing nonrefundable tickets and is periodically adjusted to reflect airline operating costs.

Mr. X, although I am sorry to disappoint you by declining your request for the waiver or reimbursement of the change fee, I hope you will understand our reasons for doing so. We value you as our customer and look forward to welcoming you aboard."

Well, I got pissed with the answer because I fully understand non-refundable fares, change fees, fare diferences, etc, and that was not what I was complaining about! So I went ahead and sent another email explaining that it had been a error on their side, etc and they sent me this:

Quote:

I am sorry that an error was made when booking your reservation online. I can understand your disappointment at having to pay a change fee for correcting the error. At the same time, we realize that mistakes can happen and in an effort to avoid booking errors, AA.com offers several opportunities for our customers to review and confirm their selected itinerary prior to on-line ticket purchase. When errors do occur and if the customer calls within 24 hours of the initial ticketing or by 11:59 p.m. the following day, our reservation representatives can waive the change fee for any change to the itinerary such as: origin/destination/stopover/date/time (add collects and fare rules apply).

Mr. X, while we are sympathetic to your situation, I'm afraid we cannot make an exception. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving your future travel needs.

Basically they keep saying that I MADE an error, which is not true and that theres no way to fix it!!

What do you all think?

Thanks!

RussianJet

RE: AA Ripped Me Off!

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:48 pm

Quoting AA757MIA (Thread starter):
What do you all think?

Sure sounds crappy.

Do you have any evidence that you bought the fare you state you did?

I would start writing the mother of all complaint letters.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

eric

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:53 pm

What is the fare class on the e-ticket you were sent?
n

AA757MIA
Topic Author

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:00 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 1):
Do you have any evidence that you bought the fare you state you did?

Unfortunately no... but I'm completely sure I selected Economy Saver because I checked and rechecked before I got it to make sure that it was refundable. I wasnt sure about the trip and I wanted to get the money back.

Quoting Eric (Reply 2):
What is the fare class on the e-ticket you were sent?

That is the issue... They sent me a non-refundable fare, W & L which I understand are discount fares.

RussianJet

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Quoting AA757MIA (Reply 3):
Unfortunately no... but I'm completely sure I selected Economy Saver because I checked and rechecked before I got it to make sure that it was refundable. I wasnt sure about the trip and I wanted to get the money back.

Surely they can tell from the price you paid etc what fare you purchased? Forgive me if that sounds simplistic, I don't know the ins and outs of the world of air fares particularly well.

eric

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:33 pm

Quoting AA757MIA (Reply 3):

If you selected an "Economy Saver" it is usally implied that it is a cheap tickets. Whereas I don't know the in's and out's of AA's fare system it could very well be that it is refundable but usually it would then be against a fee. As these can often be in vicinity of $100-$200 they don't always make good economics depending on the total fare.

It sounds as if you got what you paid for but did not realise that it was semi-restricted. Surely you still have the ticket they sent you? Always keep an electronic version of your ticket until travel completed as it may be needed if your luggage is lost/damaged and you need to claim insurance/compensation.
n

AA757MIA
Topic Author

Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:17 pm

Eric,

I know what you mean... But if that were the case, then the information on this page is completely false:

http://www.aa.com/aa/reservation/far...ervation%2FfareComparisonAccess.do

I'm being charge the fee and not getting the money back.

RussianJet

Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:42 pm

Quoting AA757MIA (Reply 6):
the information on this page

link is not current - does not work.

AA757MIA
Topic Author

Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:13 am

Here's an screenshot:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n86/argonzalezm/AA.jpg

eric

Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:35 pm

It does appear certain booking classes within "Economy Saver" can inccur refund fees. Regardless of that, it would be better if there were explanations by just clicking at "econ saver", "econ flex", etc...
n

isitsafenow

Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:31 pm

What do I think was the Q? I think you didnt go over the confirmation the airline usually emails back to their clients.
Thats why you get a confirmationa AND 24 hours to rebut...and get it changed without penalty.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

JetBlueAUS

Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:13 am

Quite unfortunate, but sometimes things like this happens.  Sad
Happened to me once on UA.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

warreng24

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:19 am

If you paid using a credit card, simply call the credit card company and dispute the charge.

AA757MIA
Topic Author

Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:24 am

Quoting Warreng24 (Reply 12):
If you paid using a credit card, simply call the credit card company and dispute the charge.

I'm planning on doing that... I'm just waiting to read what they say on their third email. It has taken them a couple days to answer, lets see.