Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Braniff727
Topic Author

General Questions About Alitalia

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:09 am

Hi, I'm just looking for people's opinions on AZ. First, I'm taking the BF to Paris in May, and I am a WorldPerks member, so I want to fly a Sky Team member. I would like to avoid DL and NW as we will be going Y, so I'm hopeful for a better experience with a European carrier.

One of the options I have is AZ via JFK. My questions would be, how is the AZ service in Y, and do people think it's safe to book them considering their financial situation?

I know that I can book using a credit card and I'm protected, not to mention the Sky Team members I'm sure would honor the tickets, but I'm just looking for people's opinions!

Thanks!

[Edited 2009-01-20 16:09:29]
Climbing

Max777geek

RE: General Questions About Alitalia

Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:12 am

Quoting Braniff727 (Thread starter):
how is the AZ service in Y, and do people think it's safe to book them considering their financial situation?

Uh, the service... you don't take a plane to have a good meal I hope. Service is... made of people that like the Titanic orchestra try to make their best with a smile. You won't have the top motivated people but even you're not goint to have a bad service, if you ask me.

Im not sure there's a direct JFK-CDG with AZ, but if you want to know the risk the company is running now is to have flights cancelled due to unions strikes, not for bankrupcy reasons. The strike delays the airplane coming for your leg and crews goes off time, so you'll be stuck in the origin airport until the mess flush out. We had this for days and also the same dance began with the new Az also.

Braniff727
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:19 am

Quoting Max777geek (Reply 1):
Uh, the service... you don't take a plane to have a good meal I hope.

No, but it's been my understanding the food is slightly better on European carriers. The flight is JFK-FCO-CDG. I've heard that AF is fairly decent in Y, so that's what I was hoping for, but I can't find anything reasonably priced.

Thanks for the comments!
Climbing

Jeremy

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:40 am

I flew an AZ 777, JFK to FCO last year and it was fine. Nothing spectacular but not bad.
I had the whole row to myself. It was normal Y service as in drinks just after departure, dinner, more drinks, sleep/ movies, we'll wake you for breakfast, and finally arrival.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

corocks

Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:19 pm

I flew AZ last February from EWR-MCO-CAI last year and it was fine. Same as what some above said - nothing special, but not bad. A year ago I was asking the same questions about them being in trouble financially, merging with AF, etc and nothing has happened. I would not worry about it