Fuzzman777
Topic Author

Life Descisions Based On Aviation Interests.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Im curious to know who has made major life/career changing moves(aside from pursuing a career in aviation) to accomodate their interests.

Such as: moving to an area with more spotting potential
being closer to a hub of your favorite airline
moving to a region that better suites your frequent flyer addicition

Here's my story- Returning from Iraq in 2006 after my first tour, I had a choice to stay at Ft. Hood, TX or move up to Ft. Carson, CO. I smartly chose Ft. Carson because it is just an hour from Denver(a UA hub) and just 15 minutes from COS(nonstop flight to 4 UA hubs).

Now fast forward to 2009- where I am currently on my second tour in Iraq(also currently my re-enlistment window). I put in a request for Ft. Irwin, CA(2 .5 hours from LAX). Sadly though, I found out today that I didn't get it. Tomorrow I will find out what my counter-offers are. In the meantime I am searching for other major Army installations across the country. I wouldn't mind staying at Ft. Carson, but I was also looking at options in the Virginia area if you catch my drift.

Since I am single, this decision only affects me. But have any of you put your aviation needs above your spouse and kids?

PanAm747

RE: Life Descisions Based On Aviation Interests.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:35 pm

My decision to move to San Diego happened many years before it happened - I knew, from when I was 17, that this was where I was going to live.

I would never willingly choose to live elsewhere, but if I was forced for some odd reason, I would choose a city served by all major airlines. I lived in Bakersfield for too many years and fought Airport Bus and LAX because of literally not having a hometown airport - never again!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!