Ryan h
Topic Author

Fokker 50, What Is It Like?

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:20 am

In a couple of months I will be flying on a Fokker 50.

What are seats like, how noisy are they etc?

I will be flying with Alliance Airlines between Adelaide and Olympic Dam which is near Roxby Downs in the outback of South Australia.
South Australian Spotter

levent

RE: Fokker 50, What Is It Like?

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:44 pm

I have flown on Fokker 50s many times, mostly with Denim Air / Air Nostrum and also a couple of times with Firefly in Malaysia.

Generally I find that these planes offer a good comfort in the cabin. I very much prefer the Fokker 50 over the Dash 8-300 and even over the Q400.

The noise level during the cruise is very low for a turboprop, another advantage over the DHC8.

Enjoy your flight!

greggarious

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:41 pm

I've flown on Fokker 50s with Avianca various times in the past. They're comfortable for a turboprop, and in general just a good looking plane in my opinion. I may have been speaking strictly of AV's Fokkers, which looked fantastic in their color scheme of old:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Juan Pablo Luna

Sadly, their new cs leaves the back of these planes with way too much white, and not enough red (a gripe I have with Avianca's current scheme in general)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andres Ramirez

ACDC8

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:31 pm

I've been on KLMs F50s many times between DUS and AMS and love them. Very comfortable, noise levels are comparable to the ATR series and quieter than the Dash 8 series (mind you, I haven't been on a Q400 yet). If you've never been on one or a Dash 8, try to get a window seat beside or behind the engine a bit, its pretty cool watching the landing gear work during take off and landing.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

OHLHD

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:43 pm

I flew late last year a Fokker 50 from BGO to MOL with SAS Norway during a hefty winterstorm and it was still a pleasant ride. I had enough space for my legs ( I am 191cm) and overall the sitting comfort was OK. Anytime again.  Smile

HT

Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:59 pm

Quoting Levent (Reply 1):
The noise level during the cruise is very low for a turboprop, another advantage over the DHC8.

I think, this subjective statement is questionable ... - maybe it varies per seat row, but overall I found the F50 to be more noisy than the Q400.

Quoting Ryan h (Thread starter):
What are seats like,

Seats will be fairly narrow, but still okay. Seat pitch must be judged per the very operator.

While the F50 is a rather slow a/c, it is a reliable one. However, I would prefer to limit flight times in a F50 to less than 2 hours.
Overhead storage space is there (on both sides) but limited to smaller items. Any roller bag will not fit.
The rows with the wing overhead have even less overhead storage space.
If "noise" is a major factor for you, bring along hearing protection.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

MH017

Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:28 am

Quoting HT (Reply 5):
If "noise" is a major factor for you, bring along hearing protection.

Come on....for a turbo-prop the plane is rather 'quiet' during cruise, where the aircon system usually makes more noise than the engines...

Only during take-off, the plane is pretty noisy, esp. in rows 1-3...

Have to agree with Levent, it's definitely more quiet than the DH8 !!
don't throw away tomorrow !

Ryan h
Topic Author

Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:38 am

Which rows would have the best view out of the window?. I understand there may be figgerent seating configs depending on airline, but I am not sure where the best place would be toward the front, or the back.

Looking at photos of Fokker 50s I see that counting the windowa from the back, that the third one is missing.
South Australian Spotter

HT

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:20 am

Quoting MH017 (Reply 6):
Come on....for a turbo-prop the plane is rather 'quiet' during cruise

Okay, there are noisier ones in pax service, like the Do-228 for example ...

Quoting Ryan h (Reply 7):
Which rows would have the best view out of the window?.

The windows are placed fairly low, making it difficult for me (standing 6ft3) to look out and see something while on the ground.
In flight, the two rows in front of the props are good for downwards views.
Something like row 3 to 5 will have the wing over you and the engine nacelle on your level, obstructing views a bit.
Views from rows in the aft likely will suffer a bit from the engine exhaust, blurring views a bit.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

ALexeu

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:52 am

What's the comparison of flying F-50 to older sister F-27?

levent

Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:15 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 9):

I would say overall comfort, mainly noise level. The F-27 of course has older engines with four-bladed props. I flew on an F-27 between Denpasar and Mataram and Bali... and I absolutely LOVED every minute of it. Would step into one again anytime  Smile

Viscount724

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:58 am

I hadn't flown on a F50 for quite a few years until a couple of months ago when I was on a KL F50 HAM-AMS. It was a very pleasant flight. I found the KL seating quite comfortable and the legroom seemed slightlybetter than on KL F70s and F100s. Flying on an F50 is also as close as you can get today to flying on a classic airliner from the 1950s, since much of the design is basically unchanged from the F27 which first flew in 1955.

Quoting Ryan h (Reply 7):
Which rows would have the best view out of the window?.

I suggest as close to the rear as possible. That's also wthe quietest part of the cabin.

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 9):

The biggest difference was the huge windows on the F27, much like those on the Vickers Viscount and Vanguard. They changed to smaller closely-spaced windows on the F50 to permit varying seat pitches without some seat rows winding up without a window.