rsrik
Topic Author

Inconveniences Experienced In A Plane

Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:25 pm

What is the worst inconvenience that you've all faced while in an airplane?

I'll go first. 5 years ago, after boarding and buckling up on an AS flight from SEA - SJC, this woman walked in juggling a bunch of things in her hands - including a cup of Starbucks - and talking on the phone as well. She lost control of her juggle while passing my seat and spilled the coffee on my favorite shirt. Fortunately, an FA brought out some club soda and napkins and helped me dab off as much coffee as I could. I had to sit through the flight and the ride home wearing coffee for perfume! What drove me nuts that day was that the woman did not even seem very apologetic!

What's your experience? Of course, we've all had 'expectable' inconveniences, such as being seated next to someone with bad breath, who simply won't stop talking. Barring those, what are your 'unexpected' inconveniences?

By the way, I am jetlagged, sleep deprived, and not thinking sharply. So if any of you feel like this is a meaningless post, feel free to tell me  Smile.

- Sri

PGNCS

RE: Inconveniences Experienced In A Plane

Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:33 pm

I had an out of control child sitting in front of me on an RJ (Comair) turn around and projectile vomit on me and the woman sitting next to me while standing in his seat. The crew was very helpful. I was covered in vomit as were the seats we were sitting in (I threw away the clothes when I got home, BTW). The flight was full so we couldn't move. The kid kept misbehaving for the duration of the flight while the mother calmly read her "People" magazine (or looked at the pictures, anyway). She never apologized or acknowledged the event even took place.

Comair actually was quite helpful and gave me a voucher for dry cleaning (I think it was for $20), but since I threw out the clothes and was a non-rev, I declined to use it.

wilco737

Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:47 pm

I had an aisle seat in an LH 321 in business class. Had my uniform on as I was dead heading to HAM where I was about to start duty.

The F/A stood next to me and the lady on the other aisle seat ordered tomatoe juice!!! Oh no.... So, the F/A took the tomatoe juice out of the trolley and started shaking it properly. Well, the box wasn't sealed properly and so I had 1/2 litre (1/4gallon) pure red tomatoe juice on my white shirt!  banghead 

I am sure you can imagine this is something you don't get rid of with some napkins or water... So what to do? Well, just try it out a bit, but I looked like I was bleedling like hell, the red looked like blood...

Landed in HAM, I was taken to my flight and met the rest of the crew and they were like  eyepopping  what happened to you, are you ok?!  Big grin

Then I took a fresh shirt out of my suitcase and the red one was sent to trash right away...

wilco737

PanAm747

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:54 pm

Quote:
I had an out of control child sitting in front of me on an RJ (Comair) turn around and projectile vomit on me and the woman sitting next to me while standing in his seat. The crew was very helpful. I was covered in vomit as were the seats we were sitting in (I threw away the clothes when I got home, BTW). The flight was full so we couldn't move. The kid kept misbehaving for the duration of the flight while the mother calmly read her "People" magazine (or looked at the pictures, anyway). She never apologized or acknowledged the event even took place.

I would have taken off the vomit covered clothes and placed them on the mother. Not apologizing for a child's behavior or trying to make a situation right is the rudest thing that a human being could do.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

PGNCS

Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 3):
I would have taken off the vomit covered clothes and placed them on the mother. Not apologizing for a child's behavior or trying to make a situation right is the rudest thing that a human being could do.

I would have loved to...unfortunately it was an RJ and my spare clothes were...in my rollaboard in the luggage compartment. I changed when I got home and took a LONG shower.

It was definitely the single rudest event I have dealt with on an aircraft.

daviation

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Other than routine inconveniences, the most recent one was the lack of any space at my seat. I am 6'3", but fairly slim, so other than leg room, I fit just fine in an economy seat. However, on a return flight from LAS, I had Mr & Mrs Buffet Table sit down next to me. They each weighed about 300 pounds, and to say I was uncomfortable doesn't begin to describe it. Luckily, I had the window seat, but even that bit of extra space didn't allow any movement. When we finally landed, I thought I would need a machine to extricate me from the seat. I know this is not politically correct, but I don't care -- fat people should be required to purchase an add'l seat or a business class seat. The screaming kids don't bother me, I stick some earplugs in and that's that. My kids were babies once too, and although they were almost always well-behaved, they occasionally had their meltdowns, and there's really nothing one can do except try every distraction.
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

DocLightning

Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:24 pm

A full 744 from LHR to SFO. I was on the left (sunward) side of the plane. Unlike UA, BA does not have individual air vents installed over each seat. The entire left side of the plane BAKED. The crew did everything possible, including freezing the entire cabin in an attempt to make us comfortable. I had run out of deodorant that morning and, on top of being sheerly miserable for the whole 10 hours, I started to stink, which was horribly embarrassing.

I was *so* glad when that flight ended.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

rsrik
Topic Author

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:54 pm

Quoting Daviation (Reply 5):
I had Mr & Mrs Buffet Table sit down next to me.

I understand, I have been there too. It was in 2003, and my first time flying DL internationally, CVG - LGW. I had asked for a window seat, DL goofed it up; and put me in the center, next to a really extra large woman, who could simply not keep her arms and shoulder away from my seat/area. To my right was an Englishman who slept for more than half of the flight, then woke up and kept yawning (bad breath *[email protected]$).

daviation

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:52 pm

I was once also seated next to a morbidly obese woman who simply couldn't use the regular seatbelt. She needed a seatbelt extension, and then burst out crying because of the humiliation. The kicker, of course, is that she was my wife. She is now my ex-wife. And she has gained even more weight in the years since.

I often take our teenage children on flights with me. They have been to many, many destinations. But she never flies, always drives. My theory is that she will be forced to buy an add'l ticket for herself, and thus chooses not to fly.

Cruel, aren't I?
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

BTVB6Flyer

Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:17 pm

For me the worst one of my short life, probably has to be on a B6 to TPA. It was the last flight out of JFK and everyone wanted to sleep. I was seated in the aisle (last minute purchase) with a infant directly across from me. From the minute the plane reached above 10,000 ft she started to scream, not just a normal scream but the blood curtailing scream. Even with the TV blasting to maximum and me trying to sleep it did not drown it out. She did not stop screaming until touchdown!

Another slight inconvenience was just recently. Because I like to look outside when I fly I always get a window seat. What I hate is when the people close it on me when I drift to sleep, and when the pearson in the aisle tells me to close it. Because I am only 16 I usually don't argue and oblige, just to show respect to the elders.

PacNWjet

Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:53 pm

Well, this didn't happen to me personally but it is a good story. Back when smoking was allowed on planes my uncle was flying to the mainland from his home in Hawaii. He was a regular client of the airline so at check-in he was offered the opportunity to sit in first class. He was so pleased to be given the offer (this was before frequent flier programs made upgrades routine) that he accepted. He neglected to ask if it was in the smoking or no-smoking section. He ended up sitting next to a fellow who had a cigarette going in one hand and a cigar in the other the entire length of the flight. Needless to say it took several launderings to get the smell out of my uncle's clothes.

sq_ek_freak

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:00 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 1):
Comair actually was quite helpful and gave me a voucher for dry cleaning (I think it was for $20), but since I threw out the clothes and was a non-rev, I declined to use it.

That was really nice of Comair, and equally nice of you to decline it given you were non-reving and the clothers were headed straight to the bin anyway!

Quoting Daviation (Reply 8):
I was once also seated next to a morbidly obese woman who simply couldn't use the regular seatbelt. She needed a seatbelt extension, and then burst out crying because of the humiliation. The kicker, of course, is that she was my wife. She is now my ex-wife. And she has gained even more weight in the years since.

That's probably one of the funniest things I have read on this website! I actually had an experience similar to that - a female passenger on a DXB-PER flight. I suppose she tried to belt up and simply couldn't, so decided not fasten the seat belt at all. One of my fellow crew saw this during his safety check, asked her to belt up and she said "okay" and tried to...as he walked away he noticed she couldn't, and left the belt hanging. He asked me to approach her (he was afraid of offending her, thought it would be better for a female to do it) so I did, (I first pretended to do a quick seat belt run through the aisle, stopping at her) kindly asked her to put her seatbelt on, and if she needed assistance I would gladly fetch her an extension (as quietly as I could say that) - well she burst out wailing, and attracted all the other passengers attention. She was gasping about how she tried to loose weight and nothing worked, she couldn't afford Business because she was just a nurse, and was going home to see her boyfriend who she thought was going to break up with her. I was really embarrassed, and I could see the rest of the crew trying desperately not to laugh in the galley (the Purser who was in the J galley looked down the aisle at me with the funniest cocked eye brow look, like what the hell did you do!?) - well I went back got her the extension and put on the seatbelt for her between her wails. She later came to the galley and apologized for the breakdown which was nice of her, but then commenced a horribly awkward conversation (filled with awkward laughs and pauses) with all of us in the galley trying to skirt any potentially "explosive" topics.But still to this day I cringe when I think of that story...the entire crew and myself tried to be extra nice to her throughout the flight and ironically gave her extra helpings of snacks and drinks (whenever she asked).
Keep Discovering

zkeoj

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:51 pm

nothing really major, but still inconvenient: I was on an AKL-SIN flight with SQ, which left at midnight, i.e. was a night flight. My PTV didn't work, and i asked the F/A if she could reset it. She was very nice and tried about 5 times, without success. I told her not to worry - I would read instead. But when I wanted to turn the reading light on it didn't work either. The flight was full (at least in Y), thus she couldn't find another seat for me. I ended up being stuck in the dark for 11 hours - not very nice. The time just doesn't want to pass if you can't sleep, or distract yourself in any other way.... And I had SIN-FRA-LHR-KEF ahead of me as well.

Cheers
micha

aviationnut12

Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:27 am

I was on a DL MD-88 flight from ATL-MSP, and there was a mom travelling with her little 1-2 year-old girl on her lap seated behind me. The were very nice, but partway through the flight the little girl started fussing while the mom was trying to do everything she could to keep her busy. Then there was this idiot seated two rows ahead who kept looking back at the poor mother every five minutes giving her the evil eye. That kind of behavior just infuriates me, especially when the parent is trying to keep the child busy and distracted! I just kept catching his eye and shaking my head while whispering to my mom seated across the aisle like we were talking about how annoying and rude he was being! Eventually he stopped, but I almost said something. Some people just never grow up, I say if you haven't had kids than don't knock other parents who are trying to entertain their children. Remember, we were all children at one time! Than the opposite occured on a DL 738 flight from BOS-ATL that was scheduled to depart at 3:30PM on a Sunday afternoon. We were delayed due to weather, and ended up sitting on the plane for 5-hours. I was unfortunate enough to be seated in front of some dumb, young mom who was completely ignoring her three kids, two of which were under the age of 5. Thankfully our aircraft was equipped with PTV's, so that kept them busy for a while but I felt really bad for the kids because she was being so mean to them! Than after sitting for 2-hours, we took off but a cargo door light came on and we had to return to Logan. Than we sat for another hour while they fixed it, but only to have our departure clearance cancelled due to weather again! We finally took-off at 8:35PM, but had a 3-hour flight ahead of us due to headwinds! Talk about a long day!
Every choice is a step, steps become direction, direction determines destination

rsrik
Topic Author

Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:47 am

Quoting Aviationnut12 (Reply 13):
seated in front of some dumb, young mom

I don't mean to deviate from the topic of my own post  Smile , but I had to say something wrt to your sentiment: I was once on a WN flight from SJC - SEA when a teen age 'mother'  no  who could not control her infant child, and tried to feed the baby a peanut!
For crying out loud.

teo747

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:42 am

I can think of two - the first was on a LGW-MSP flight when I was probably about 8 or 9, and I got a massive nosebleed on descent into MSP. By the time it stopped, I think my entire outfit was more red than whatever color it initially was. Of course, my parents hadn't packed any extra clothes in the carry-on luggage. I remember that my Mom was horrified to have to walk through the terminal with me covered in blood, although I was too young to care at that point!

The second time was probably the worst. I was a few years older and we were flying DEN-LGW on CO. I remember being excited because I got to sit the row behind my mom and brother - very "independent" for a 12-year old. I was in the window seat with a man next to me on the aisle. The problem was that he fell asleep almost immediately in a position that made it impossible for me to get out into the aisle. Imagine a kid that's too polite to wake up the guy but had way too much Coke to drink before getting on the flight squirming around in his seat hoping against hope that Mr. Sleepy would wake up before things got too desperate. That was me for about 2 or 3 hours as we flew over the Midwest & Canada. I think eventually I couldn't wait any longer and had to wake him up.

deltairlines

Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:47 am

Today, my CRJ flight from CVG to MSP was not that fun. Seated in 2B, there were lap children in 1C, 2D and some 2-3 year olds in 1A and 1D. Let's just say that it could have been a competition for who could be the loudest kid.

CXB77L

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:03 am

I'd say not having a window in a "window seat" would classify as an inconvenience - or, in my case, potential inconvenience. I was going to fly a CX A333 from PER-HKG in a few weeks, and my dad unknowingly pre-selected seat 33K for me. I knew that there was no window in that row, so we tried to change the seat selection, which required a call to CX's customer service team. Thankfully, the change was made, I am now in 55A. In all of my time flying, I've only not had a window seat once as I always request a window seat at check-in. However, I've never had the unfortunate pleasure of sitting next to a wall panel where the window would've been on other rows for a prolonged period of time. That would've been enough to give me claustrophobia.
Boeing 777 fanboy