Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cooleo
Topic Author

Terrorism - Fear Of Flying

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:26 am

Hello.

I am going to be flying in the summer to SFO from LHR. One of the members of my family has a big fear of Terrorism onboard. Do you have any tips on how to calm them down? I also have this fear of Terrorism, but not enough to stop me flying, I just stay observant. Do you know the average amount of flights with air marshals on flying Transatlantic? This may help..

Thanks

fatmirjusufi

RE: Terrorism - Fear Of Flying

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:09 pm

Quoting Cooleo (Thread starter):
One of the members of my family has a big fear of Terrorism onboard.

Do you know any terrorist hijacking act after 9/11?

Let's bring you some facts:
After 9/11 terrorist act there were only few airplane hijacks, all of them with no causalities.
Two of them in Sudan, other in Mauritania...

So I think you and your cousin don't have to worry about.

Have a nice flight.

Fatmir

raffik

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:36 pm

Security after 9/11 is a lot stricter. I think it would be highly unlikely that we saw a terrorist attack from a passenger onboard a flight any time soon.

However, that makes me wonder about the hijacking of an aircraft by a crew member (pilot).
Again, unlikely, but could never be ruled out!

2 days after the 9/11 attacks, I was in Beirut and I wanted to get out as quickly as possible. The soonest flight was a Yugoslavian Airlines (JAT) flight that routed Beirut - Damascus- Belgrade -London. I was very nervous about flying after what had happened in New York, but now I feel safer, because I know how much more comprehensive the airport security is, as well as advanced passenger screening.
- Alec

B747forever

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:51 pm

But guys lets not forget the LHR incident on the summer of 2006 when a bunch of terrorists planned to bomb several aircrafts mid flight on flights to the US (BA and AA aircrafts I think). Fortunately they never made it through security.
Work Hard, Fly Right

jetterrosie

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:08 pm

I have another thread running about Fear of Flying you may want to check out as although it's not about terrorists some other people have said some interesting stuff. When I had counselling due to my fear I was told that there is a massive increase in this kind of fear since 9/11 so although that doesn't necessarily make the fear go away, it may help them feel like there are lots of people out there like them so it is more natural for them to feel that way - i.e. they are not feeling that way because they are having a premonition or anything! I think it crosses all of our minds - I know I think about it fairly regularly when I'm on the bus or the tube in London. Sorry I don't have any better advice. Oh except a sleeping pill washed down with two glasses of wine, but then thats just plain irresponsible and I couldn't possibly condone it!

Cooleo
Topic Author

Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks for the above info!

Quoting B747forever (Reply 3):

This is what more concerns them. Such a thing such as Lockerbie happening over the atlantic.

swiftski

Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:18 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 3):
But guys lets not forget the LHR incident on the summer of 2006 when a bunch of terrorists planned to bomb several aircrafts mid flight on flights to the US (BA and AA aircrafts I think). Fortunately they never made it through security.

Note the last sentence.

eric

Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:26 am

Put it this way - there is a greater chance you will die going to the airport than dying onboard the plane, be that terrorism or a faulty plane.

Why just the fear of terrorism, why not wires, fuel gauges etc... it is just as likely to kill you. The fear, no offence, strikes me as somewhat irrational.
n

Loran

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:17 am

Usually I try to evaluate safety through some statistics. If you consider that in the year 2008 there have only been around 1000 fatalities in commercial aviation (or was it even less?).

If you compare the amount of movements, passengers, seatmiles, etc. to that number, your chances of dying in an airplane become extremely slim. More likely you would be hit by a lightning on the street or win a Lottery jackpot before you die on a plane. And these are events I do not consider as likely when I leave home. Therefore I also do not consider terrorism on planes or any other cause as a show stopper for me, chances are just to slim to think about it.

That number gets even better if you choose to fly with airlines with good safety records, I then assume myself to be totally safe. Have to admit that my occupation as Aerospace Enginner helps to understand the systems behind it.

People usually argue that 'if something happens, everybody dies'. The reality is that 'if something happens', the plane will return to the airport and land. Only in very little cases it ends in the worst possible, however as I mentioned I consider it to be as good as impossible.

Loran
703 717 727 732-9 747 757 767 777 787 AB2/6 310 318-321 330 340 359 380 D8M D91/3/5 D1C M11 M81-90 L10 IL1/8/6/7/W/9/4 TU3/5/2 YK4/2

Cooleo
Topic Author

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:22 am

Thanks for the above information. They read this thread and feel quite relieved.

Thanks A.net!