Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Eurohub
Topic Author

LX European J-Class - What To Expect?

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:00 pm

I've just taken LX up on their very fine offer of J-Class for the same price of full fare Y for a trip to Germany later this month. I'm flying BHX-ZRH-STR and return. I've previously flown a one-way STR-ZRH-BHX in Y so I'm familar with the general offering, but these will be my first J-Class flights with LX and I'm intrgued as to what to expect.

BHX-ZRH-BHX will be on a Helvetic F100 and ZRH-STR-ZRH on an LX RJ100.

Also what are the respective lounges like in BHX, ZRH and STR (although I've only got transit times 70 mins outbound and 65 mins return)?

Thanks in advance,
Eurohub.
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

fatmirjusufi

RE: LX European J-Class - What To Expect?

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:00 pm

I don't know too much about their J Class services but I had two flights with LX (Y Class). Their service was awesome and friendly F/A. I think you will not get disappointed with your LX choice.

Fatmir

eric

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Check OA260 many trip reports on intra Europe LX J for more details. I guess that will be your best choice. Seat blocking on LX is a bit a mystery especially on the Fokker and RJ's.

Depending on the time of day, meal according to it, drinks and some chocolate. The LX C lounge has the world longest attended lounge bar.
n

HT

Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Quoting Eurohub (Thread starter):
Also what are the respective lounges like in BHX, ZRH and STR (although I've only got transit times 70 mins outbound and 65 mins return)?

The positive thing is, that you will be able to use the dedicated security check at A-gates at ZRH, but even there I have had waiting times up to 10 minutes, so you should not hang around in the lounge for too long. Make your way to the gate in time, as you should expect to be bus'ed to the a/c.

but these will be my first J-Class flights with LX and I'm intrgued as to what to expect.

A little bit more attention from the F/A.
A bottle of water once you are seated.
Usually a nice snack (real food), but the flight between ZRH and STR might be too short for a full service.
Usually the middle seat is blocked, but I also have experienced the opposite on the RJ100.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Viscount724

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:04 am

BHX-ZRH-BHX will be on a Helvetic F100 and ZRH-STR-ZRH on an LX RJ100.

I haven't flown on the subcontracted Helvetic F100s but they used to subcontract (they may still do) a few routes to Cirrus Air and I wasn't impressed with their effort to provide business class service on their 737-500. The cabin interior was also below usual LX standards.

While I like flying LX, unless someone else is paying I don't see the value in paying for J class on short intra-Europe flights. The seats are identical and the only difference is the inflight service and lounge access. Not worth the fare difference in my opinion.

I doubt you'll get much on the very short ZRH-STR sector. I think that's LX's shortest international sector (78 nm).

Quoting HT (Reply 3):
Usually the middle seat is blocked, but I also have experienced the opposite on the RJ100.

As far as I know they never sell the middle seat in J on the A319/320/321 but I don't think that's their policy on the Avros, although I believe they try to leave enough capacity in J classs to avoid using the middle seat in the 3-seat side.

Eurohub
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:24 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 4):
While I like flying LX, unless someone else is paying I don't see the value in paying for J class on short intra-Europe flights.

I agree entirely with your thoughts Viscount724, I haven't flown Business Class in Europe since all-Business Class Duo went bust back in the day. That said LX's Business Saver fare represents excellent value for money compared to their economy fares - the cheapest, least flexible economy would have cost about GBP 150 and gained me approx. 500 M&M miles; whilst Business Saver (itself not flexible) has only cost GBP 250 and gained me 8000 M&M miles - a worthwhile investment in my opinion.

Besides, those 8000 extra miles will go a long way towards a reward flight to Munich for the Oktoberfest later in the year!!!

Regards,
Eurohub
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

Viscount724

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:47 am

Quoting Eurohub (Reply 5):
Besides, those 8000 extra miles will go a long way towards a reward flight to Munich for the Oktoberfest later in the year!!!

Agreed, those LX Business Saver fares are a cheap way to accumulate M&M miles. Do that about 12 times and you've got enough for Senator status for only a fraction of what you'd have to spend to earn the same number of miles at typical longhaul J fares.