Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IrishAyes
Topic Author

To India: EK A380 Or AI 77W?

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:15 am

Hi, I'm having a dilemma in trying to book a r/t ticket to DEL from the U.S. I have explored 2 options and I am trying to decide which optimally would provide the best returns, so please let me know which one you would choose if you were in my situation (also, if you have flown any of the following routes or a/c, please let me know what your experiences were like!)

background: trying to leave from ORD and return to DFW.

1). Option one is to start from JFK and fly EK's A380 via DXB to DEL, r/t price looking at $938 in Y. I could even add a three day stay in DXB for no extra cost. The only downside with this arrangement is that I would have to book a separate ticket from ORD to JFK and then from JFK to DFW on the return, which would add an extra $250-300.

2). The next possibility is to book two separate tickets, r/t ORD-LHR-DFW in Y for $540 on AA, and as a promotion earn 25,000 AA bonus miles for travel to the UK. Then, I would book a separate ticket on AI going LHR-DEL-LHR for $456, and I might be eligible for an upgrade into C. The downside to this route is that I might have an overnight stay in London on the return, which wouldn't be so bad.

So...what should it be...have a novel experience in a highly ranked airline in Y and pay more, or get good dividends by flying a so-so carrier for less and possibly gaining an upgrade for the other half?

HT

RE: To India: EK A380 Or AI 77W?

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:19 am

Quoting IrishAyes (Thread starter):
have a novel experience in a highly ranked airline in Y and pay more,

If it weren't for the A380, I would decide against this itinerary.
Looking around here on A.net, the praise EK once received (years ago) for their service has faded ...
Those extra flights ORD-JFK and JFK-DFW make it even less attractive. Just calculate how many hours the return DEL-DXB-JFK-DFW would be ...

I could even add a three day stay in DXB for no extra cost.

Which month are you looking into ? How's the climate in Dubai then ? No fun to be there in summer ...

or get good dividends by flying a so-so carrier for less and possibly gaining an upgrade for the other half?

The routing on AA and AI look atrtactive - as long as you have enough time to make a new check-in at LHR outbound.
If you really spend a night at LHR on the return ...: While this would mean extra $$$ for a hotel room, it also would make the long flight easier for your body.

Bottomline: AA / AI via LHR is my recommendation.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

sq_ek_freak

Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:04 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 1):
Looking around here on A.net, the praise EK once received (years ago) for their service has faded ...

If like you said, look at the Trip Report section of A.net, the spate of EK reports of the year and late last year all have been actually quite positive, we are trying hard to gain back the consistency of the service levels we became famous for. It's a bit unfair to make your statement especially because not only has there been an influx of positive EK reports on A.net, there is a report specifically addressing the topic of consistency at EK, and from what I've read of the comprehensive review, it comes out postive for EK.

That said, I do agree that there was a period of pretty wildly varying service levels on EK, but I think we are slowly working our way out of that, and if the recent praise of EK in the trip reports section of A.net is anything to go by, it's moving in the right direction.

Back to the original topic, I would say that if you are flying soon, I would recommend EK (not only because I'm crew with them  Wink) but because the A380 will not be on the JFK route for much longer. You'll have to go up to Toronto for that. You'll still have the most up to date interior on our B77Ws flying into JFK, but not the novelty of flying on the A380.

Air India on the 77W/77L from what I've seen and heard from first hand accounts are really good, the hard product is up to date (and the interiors are beautiful) and the service from the cabin crew is excellent (apparently AI staffs their new generation 777 fleet with their "best cabin staff"). American over the pond seems unfortunate to me, but sounds like you are an FF with them so you know what the deal is in that regard.

Long story short, get on the EK A380 while she's still around in New York, if not, it's a bit more up in the air (maybe go with pricing and/or flight times?), but keep in mind that Dubai in the summer can still be fun (if not HOT) and in DXB we have a nice big new terminal we call home  Smile
Keep Discovering

joffie

Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:10 am

I flew the AI 77W from LHR-DEL, in C (business) and honestly it was not the greatest C flight at all. The Woman FA was cranky and didn't want to be there, the PTV did not work at all, and the food was just a Y class meal. I have pictures which can up uploaded if you dont believe me. I suppose for only $1000 USD compared to $5000 which JET wanted, you get what you pay for... cheap nasty service..

sq_ek_freak

Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:31 pm

Quoting Joffie (Reply 3):
The Woman FA was cranky and didn't want to be there, the PTV did not work at all, and the food was just a Y class meal.

Wow, that's contrary to all I've heard about Air India 77W flights! Not that I don't believe you, but would you mind posting those pictures? I'm really intrigued. Sorry you had a miserable experience...
Keep Discovering

chrisrad

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:35 am

Quoting SQ_EK_freak (Reply 4):

Quoting Joffie (Reply 3):
The Woman FA was cranky and didn't want to be there, the PTV did not work at all, and the food was just a Y class meal.

Wow, that's contrary to all I've heard about Air India 77W flights! Not that I don't believe you, but would you mind posting those pictures? I'm really intrigued. Sorry you had a miserable experience...

Joffie has alerted me to this thread to supply photos, I was also on this flight from LHR-DEL, and indeed I was very dissapointed, I was looking forward to flying AI and the 77W, crew were not very friendly at all, meals were very average for J class - more like a Y class meal in a dish. Seat controls didn't work, only the preset - dining, recline, sleep modes worked, nothing could be adjusted manually. The IFE didn't work properly either. For the price I suppose I should be saying I cant complain, but regardless of the price, a certain level is to be expected I would think.

Mismatched glassware
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/chrisrad/AI0.jpg

Convenience shop appetizers?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/chrisrad/AI1.jpg

Economy Meal or J class?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/chrisrad/AI2.jpg

The complete breakfast... nothing else
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/chrisrad/AI3.jpg
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

IrishAyes
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:24 am

uhh...excuse me...but that looks a lot nicer than anything I've ever experienced in Y!!

NZ107

Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:27 am

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 6):
but that looks a lot nicer than anything I've ever experienced in Y!!

If you certainly think so, take a look at the recent EK trip reports on the A380, mainly ones by Planehunter and Globetraveller and you'll see that Emirates' food looks good. The customer service received on the A380 even in Economy is top notch, matched by the world leading IFE system (Skytrax named EK best IFE provider for 2008).

So it comes down to whether you want to have good service and streamlined services through DXB or if your desire for those miles outweighs the extra cost of flying the A380. I personally would choose EK.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

sq_ek_freak

Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 6):
uhh...excuse me...but that looks a lot nicer than anything I've ever experienced in Y!!

Looks like a Y class meal in a quasi-J tray set up. As suggested by NZ 107, check out our Economy and Business class offerings in the recent spate of EK trip reports in that forum and you'll see what a real J set up should look like  Wink Our new A380 service regiment also calls for the meal service to be tray free, so the passenger gets an even more premium experience (similar to what SQ has in their new service delivery as well).

Quoting Chrisrad (Reply 5):
Economy Meal or J class?

That's just horrible! And no linens on the table!? The tray set up looks so sloppy as well - it's like the crew really didn't care about presentation and just plopped everything onto the tray and dished them out!

I don't really care how much you pay, but if you pay the premium for a J seat on AI (in comparison to an AI Y seat) I expect the things they promise you to be working - in this case, the seat and IFE.
Keep Discovering

HT

Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:34 pm

I would have to book a separate ticket from ORD to JFK and then from JFK to DFW on the return,

Having watched almost a full week of flights out of CHA and BNA (incl. having been to CLT, RIC and CVG); flights to/from NYC (JFK, EWR and LGA) have been delayed over all carriers in those days.
I am aware that NYC gets problems with reduced arrival rates if the wind blows from unfavourite directions, but such circumstances would have to be figured in if flying EK out of JFK preceeded by a flight ORD to JFK on a seperate ticket.
If your inbound flight is delayed and you miss your EK-flight, this will be your personal problem as for EK you simply did not show up in time (technically speaking) ...

On the return you could see your flight to DFW being delayed, too, making the whole trip even longer.
As much fun it might be to fly EK out of JFK, I would go for the more safe itinerary and fly longhaul out of ORD and return longhaul to DFW.

Have you considered to fly BA to LHR (or another EK destination in Europe) but then continue on EK via DXB to DEL ?
Is returning to IAH an alternative ?
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

IrishAyes
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:44 am

Quoting HT (Reply 9):

Have you considered to fly BA to LHR (or another EK destination in Europe) but then continue on EK via DXB to DEL ?
Is returning to IAH an alternative ?

The attractive thing about AA is really the 25,000 bonus miles, plus the 8000/9000 miles I will probably accrue from flying ORD-LHR-DFW. Tickets are still $550 r/t which is dirt cheap. I could technically fly EK or even QR from LHR to DEL but frankly, I still feel like flying J or C on AI would be better than Y with one of the middle eastern carriers.

Alessandro

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:45 am

EK is cutting the NYC route soon for the A380, when are you going to travel?
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

HT

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:03 am

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 10):
The attractive thing about AA is really the 25,000 bonus miles, plus the 8000/9000 miles I will probably accrue from flying ORD-LHR-DFW.

I meant "AA", in my reply ...

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 10):
I could technically fly EK or even QR from LHR to DEL but frankly, I still feel like flying J or C on AI would be better than Y with one of the middle eastern carriers.

Seating comfort surely will be better - and speaking for myself, that is what matters for me. Plus, if I know, that food can be an issue onboard, I would not hesitate to bring along my own food (something purchased at LHR in this case), even if flying in Business Class (I actually did that last week flying Business Class AMS to MEM on NW, where I ate my own homemade sandwiches instaed of some inflight snacks offered, as I had to get rid of them before reaching U.S.-soil resp. going through USDA inspection anyhow). I even got a positive reply from one F/A on this (re: "homemade bread") ...