Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Carls
Topic Author

Is Air France Comparable To LH Or LX?

Sat May 09, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi, I do not want to start a never ending argument but this question came to my mind because I flew from Miami to Paris on Friday 08 and I have to admit that I am impressed. First of all I bought a ticket for me and my wife and I was informed that there was a possibility to buy a better seats on the upper deck 30 hours before the departure. I did it and my first surprise was that at the checking I was informed that even though I had a receipt with my seats assigned, the seats where assigned to another passenger. the flight was scheduled to depart at 5:30 and I was at the counter at 2:30 so I was on time. After nearly hour and half I gave up and asked to be seated at any seat together with my wife. I got seats 37A and B, but at the entrance when embarkation we where changed to seats 27 B and C. I was told that it was almost an upgrade to an exit seat, however the seats were narrower than the others and they were located next to the bathroom, I had the worst flight I have ever had in my life, even worst than AA. After arriving at Paris I left the airplane thinking that the seat change can't be considered an upgrade.

The service was below my expectation, food was really bad, seats were uncomfortable. Having flown in LH and LX many times I left the AF aircraft with the impression that Air France is in a lower level than LH and LX. Does anybody have the same impression? or this was just a bad experience in an airline as good as LH and LX?

LH4116

RE: Is Air France Comparable To LH Or LX?

Sat May 09, 2009 8:47 pm

In my opinion, AF offer a much higher level of service than LH LX, on short haul flights.
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

COEI2007

Sat May 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Quoting Carls (Thread starter):
Hi, I do not want to start a never ending argument but this question came to my mind because I flew from Miami to Paris on Friday 08 and I have to admit that I am impressed

I'm confused. What are you impressed about?

SR183

Sat May 09, 2009 9:05 pm

I found AF economy product generally below LH and LX. It begins with cleanliness in the aircraft. There were discussions about AF cleanliness in this forum a few years ago. I don't know if they got better..
Next flights: June - ZRH-MUC-ATH-MUC-ZRH, July - ZRH-DXB-HYD,COK-DXB-ZRH

wingedarrow

Sat May 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Just a bad experience, it may happen... The overall AF service is just as good as that of other major airlines you mentioned, and for something even better.

Just for curiosity: how were you informed of the opportunity of switching seats and what did they exactly tell you? AF744 upper deck is generally Y/CL, so I'm wondering what a possible notice would be like... As for the presumed upgrade you were offered, I want to believe to the good faith of the agent, many passengers ask to be seated more in the front for many reasons, so maybe they considered the fact you showed a receipt for a seat in the upper deck they couldn't give you and they were just willing to correct the mistake somehow...
אליטליה

eric

Sat May 09, 2009 9:10 pm

AF offers upper deck seating to their elites or at a premium (€50 IIRC) to others.

If you had paid for it and did not receive a seat up there (pitch 34"-36" v 32" downstairs) I'd write them and ask for my money back.

As you were seated at an exit row (which for AF-KL) is an upgrade (from upper deck) you may have an issue. Regardless, I'd ask for the money back.

And every emergency exit seat is narrower than others given there is no tray table in front of you but rather in the seat.
n

Viscount724

Sat May 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Quoting Wingedarrow (Reply 4):
Just a bad experience, it may happen... The overall AF service is just as good as that of other major airlines you mentioned, and for something even better.

I agree, It was probably just bad luck. I have had bad flights on all carriers, but in my experience AF service is as good and often better than other major European carrers. I flew AF GVA-CDG-YYZ and back a month ago in Y class (on the upper deck on the 744s on the transatlantic sectors) and found their service much better than I had expected, including the meal service. AF usually isn't my first choice since I don't like connecting at CDG but I have never had any complaints about AF's inflight service.

musapapaya

Thu May 14, 2009 8:24 pm

I had one expereicne on AF so far on a trip from MAN to HKG return, the 777 is a bit narrow due to the 3-4-3 seating. The food was average, comparable to LH or LX.

On short haul, the A320 I was on featured the new interior. However the seat was not that comfortable compared to the LX Recaro seats, and the food was comparable.

The only plus for AF Y class is their free Champagne....

Just my 2 cents

Regards
musapapaya

morcegoa330

Thu May 14, 2009 9:57 pm

IMO AF is the worst amongst LH & LX. I've flown AF economy & business but after my last long haul trip 2 years ago in business I decided I had enough. AF bad points:
- rude (or with attitude) FAs, regardless the class you fly
- ground staff is the same
- on board service, just ok (but it's not important for me anyway)
- customer service inexistent
- and the list can go one.

Obviously there are good people at AF but unfortunatelly what one's usually remembers are the bad ones. Unfortunatelly in my experience with AF most of the staff is incredibly rude.

LX is my favourite from the three.

Cheers.
There's no place like around the world

BAViscount

Fri May 15, 2009 8:21 pm

I've had great flights on all three airlines, although of the three, AF is the only one that I have flown anything but European short haul.

Last July I flew AF LHR-CDG-DXB-CDG-LHR, and I have to say that both flights on the CDG-DXB-CDG route were excellent. On the outbound flight (aboard a 777), for some reason the seat that I chose when I checked in online had been reallocated, and I was allocated an aisle seat in the middle block of seats on arrival at the gate. Basically, I HATE aisle seats as I love to stare out of the window! When I complained at the gate about my change of seat preference, I was told that I would need to ask onboard, which is what I did. Despite being a very full flight, a charming F/A went out of her way to seek out and find me a vacant window seat. She even helped me move and re-store my cabin baggage! I thanked her profusely in my schoolboy French, and for the rest of the flight, every time she passed my row, she would give me the sweetest smile (shame it was wasted on me really!!). I also thought the food was really very edible, possibly the best I have ever had on an aircraft. I think it was the only time I've actually been full after eating an airline meal (99.9% of my flights are in Y).

On the return flight (aboard an A330), my PTV wasn't working. I reported this to the F/A, who apologised and said that she would reboot the system. I waited a while and nothing happened, so I called the F/A again to report the issue. While she was at my seat, I asked if I could have a second vodka and Coke, which she gladly handed over. But again, I waited a while, and again my PTV continued not to work. I called the F/A again who was extremely apologetic and said that she had tried to reboot the system three times. It was obvious that I wouldn't be watching TV on that flight! However, the F/A said to me, "I'm so sorry sir, what can I offer you as compensation?". Before I could think of a response, she had placed three bottles of wine on my tray table! Happy with that as an option, I gave her a satisfied smile!

As I left the aircraft at CDG, the F/A asked me whether the wine had helped as compensation for not being entertained...I assured her that it had as basically I was knocked out for the majority of the flight!!

I certainly wouldn't say that any of the staff that I encountered onboard were rude, quite the opposite infact...they were friendly and helpful and helped make what could have been a couple of not so nice flights a really nice experience.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

Carls
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2009 10:59 am

I think I had a bad experience as Wingedarrow pointed out. But it is very frustrating that you are expecting something and instead I received the opposite. I always thought AF had a service comparable to LH, LX, BA, SIA to mention just few of the best airlines, I realized that AF/KLM is at the same level of Iberia, United, Delta, American Airlines among others,

Small details make big differences, and were those small details that make me realize Af was not as good as I thought and I made a mistake taking that flight. A mistake I am not planing to repete.

LHPII

Tue May 26, 2009 4:16 am

AF definitely play in a different league then LH and LX. Their Y product is kind of ok but C and F are way below LH and LX.

Avianca

Wed May 27, 2009 12:19 am

Quoting Eric (Reply 5):
AF offers upper deck seating to their elites or at a premium (€50 IIRC) to others.

is the 50 € charge new?
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

mindscape

Thu May 28, 2009 4:44 am

Quoting LHPII (Reply 11):
AF definitely play in a different league then LH and LX. Their Y product is kind of ok but C and F are way below LH and LX.

laughing  LHPII, we couldn't expect another answer from you !

Toulouse

Thu May 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Quoting Carls (Reply 10):
I realized that AF/KLM is at the same level of Iberia, United, Delta, American Airlines among others,

Sorry but no way I can accept AF being put at the same level as Iberia!! AF is far superior in all aspects. My one gripe with AF is that the service is not 100% consistent. From reviewing TR's here, it would seem AF comes out very well, if not better than other airlines you consider better, in l/h economy, while first/business class doesn't do as well.

Won't say much about LX, as I have a soft spot for them and think they are a great airline.

Some of my worst European experiences have been with LH, I actually refused to fly LH for a number of years, but have flown them again and find them to be professional and ok, but nothing special. Personally I'd prefer AF and LX to LH.
Long live Aer Lingus!

wrmiller

Thu May 28, 2009 7:04 pm

I've flown AF on two different trips...LAX-PPT and SFO-CDG-MXP, both in coach, both long haul flights on the A340. Can't compare to LH or LX, as I've never had the privilege to fly either of them. I have however flown int'l on NW, DL, and CX, and can easily say my two favorite int'l flights were on AF. Received nothing but great service, food was enjoyable (including on the short flight between CDG-MXP) especially the baguettes and champagne on every flight. I have nothing but good things to say about their coach product. just my two cents. If LH and LX or really better than AF, than I can't wait to fly them!

TYCOON

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:17 pm

I have flown AF and LX in all three classes, and LH in economy and business (long haul and intra-European on all three carriers). I have had serious issues with both LH and LX - mostly unhelpful ground staff when missing connections. I much prefer the flight attendants (female) on AF than either LX or LH. There is something special about the way French women carry themselves - a certain 'je ne sais quoi' that makes it an altogether much more elegant experience than either LH or LX (no major complaints to LH or LX flight staff - but definitely not in the same league as AF). It is a subjective assessment, as is the very nature of this thread.

kimberlyRJ

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:41 pm

Firstly I must state that when I fly I either fly Business or First (where available)

I have flown AF, LH and LX within the past six months and to be honest in business on European services they are all much the same. I would say the Swiss crew are much more polite and always seem to be happy to help, something you just don’t get with Air France, they seem worse than British Airways (and I can say that, I am senior crew for BA!). The cabin’s on the LH and LX are nicer than AF on European sectors with the exception of AF’s A318’s and on the down side LH’s A300 – sorry but they are looking very tired, it’s easy to see they are ready to be retired.

On international services I once again fly Business or First. I would say that LX’s seat on the A340 needs to be improved, as the rest of their business solution is fantastic! I think the A333 business seat design will solve that issue! AF’s Business class has an issue. On certain aircraft the seats and entertainment systems just look dated, while you can fly the same route on the same type a few weeks later and have a totally different experience... LH is much like Swiss (oddly enough lol) – what puts both airlines slightly ahead is the crew, who are always helpful, kind and chatty – something that just does not happen with Air France, no matter what class you are in.

On an international first note, I am yet to try the new Swiss first class seat but it looks goods and I have heard great reports. I must say that out of the three airlines, for first class I think I prefer AF, for the seat but with the Swiss service and entertainment...

As for on the ground, at LHR the AF staff are known to be a little direct/rude – so as long as you don’t have any questions at check in you will be fine. Things get better in Paris and in their lounges, were the staff is always very polite. Swiss share a lounge in LHR with Lufthansa, which looks like it’s stuck in the early 90’s. But in Zurich the lounge is ok, not as nice as Air France in Paris I must say, the Swiss lounge for both business and First makes everything just feel a little impersonal.

LH does a better job at their hubs but still I think AF is better...

AF just let themselves down with the state of some of their aircraft and the attitude of their cabin crew/ground crew.

If I had to rate it

1. LX
2. LH
3. AF (its a close call through - for me, make the crew nicer to PAX and AF will be at the top, of this list anyway)...

Kimberly RJ