Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Flanders
Topic Author

BRU-ORD In July/august

Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:23 pm

This summer, I want to visit a friend who lives in Decatur, IL. I just had a quick look on some websites I usually book my tickets on and found out this trip might become very expensive.

BRU-ORD-BRU with a departure around july 30 and a return around august 12 is going to cost me EUR 640. (Iberia/American) The cheapest Star alliance carrier is willing to take me there for EUR 755. My dates are flexible but that doesn't seem to help much.

I guess these are normal - high season - prices? I am quite surprised though. I've seen some advertisements lately promoting the USA (east coast) with fares around EUR 350-400. I've done BRU-IAD-MIA-ZRH-BRU myself a few weeks ago for only EUR 350.

So is 600-800 EUR normal for the dates I want to travel?

Thanks,

Flanders.

PI4EVER

RE: BRU-ORD In July/august

Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:42 pm

Flanders:
Your travel period is considered "peak" summer travel to/from Europe. Fares are still significantly cheaper than in the past, but beginning in June through mid-September it will be difficult to find "cheap" tickets to /from Europe simply due to demand. I do however consider any ticket under $1000 from the US to Europe during peak season to be a bargain, but I understand your desire to get a good fare or deal.
I did just a bit of research using individual airline websites and a combination of kayak/sidestep/expedia. The best BRU-ORD fare I found was on LH at $702E or DL (via ATL) at $784E. Other fares from BRU was US (via PHL) at $841E or AA nonstop at $935E. UA's best fare for your travel dates was $868E.
For alternate cities, I found most flights from LHR and CDG more expensive with the exception of London-Gatwick. US LGW-ORD was $592E for your travel dates; however, you need to factor in the train fare to London and on to LGW so likely not a bargain. DL had a fare of $644E from LHR.
I traveled in May to LHR. Purchased about 6 weeks before I flew, my fare was $422USD. That same schedule and ticket for July is $1203 if I booked today 7 weeks in advance and flights are booked tight to get decent seat assignments. So, regardless of tight economy and recession affecting the world-wide market, traditional peak summer travel to Europe appears to be holding up.
I doubt this information will be of much help, but I wish you luck in continuing to plan for your trip. Keep in mind fares will likely lower beginning mid-September, and Illinois is nice in the fall season. Good Luck.
Thomas
watch what you want. you may get it.

Flanders
Topic Author

RE: BRU-ORD In July/august

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi Thomas,

Thanks a lot for your help and advice! I certainly appreciate it!

I guess I will cancel the trip. I rather visit my friend 2 times in low season than pay the full price in peak season. Now let's hope she understands  Smile

Maybe I can find a good deal 24-48h before departure...

Greetings,

Flanders.