airtrainer

RE: Have You Ever Travelled C Or F?

Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:18 pm

Unfortunately, no... But maybe one day  Smile
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Qantasistheway

Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:32 pm

I have flown quite a bit of business and first class. I have flown the Kangaroo route on many airlines in business. Qantas, BA, Austrian, Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines and I liked QF the most. First I have only flown CPT-LHR on BA which was a gret experience too. I consider myself very lucky!

HT

Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:49 pm

All my longhaul flight in recent years (i.e. between Europe and the U.S.) have been in Business Class sampling the products of AF, DL, KL (incl. the Privatair BBJ), LH, LX and NW.
Reason is that I found that a crappy experience in Y (I need the space that comes with travelling in C) does ruin the whole experince of vacation.
If more destination would have a really good Premium Eco product like OpenSkies, I would be a loyal customer, as I am looking more into seating comfort rather than better food.

More than 15 years ago I also was upgraded to fly Business Class on PR routing FRA to BKK after a 9+ hour delay and numerous other (seat assignment-) problems.

In addition to that I made use of a few LX offers recently flying on discounted Business fares within Europe for weekend breaks (or even daytrips). Main reason behind this upgrade is the extra miles that come with it, but I also enjoy the better service and experience that comes with it ...

And, oh, out A.net meeting CWL to DUB earlier this year in an EI A333 also was flown in C: but "seating only" it is, as service on this positioning flight was standard Eco. However, it was a unique flight anyhow, made even more unique by the "special A.net service" we received from EI.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

planeguy727

Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:58 pm

LH IAD-FRA-SVO in C - great

UA FRA-IAD; IAD-SFO-ANC-ORD-IAD in C - ok

US in F many times - like the PHL-DEN and CLT-DEN segments, the LGA-DCA segments are to short to mean much; the segments to Florida from the northeast are fine; LAX-PHX-DEN was ok as well

DL in F was fine though short segments (esp the SYR-ROC flight)

Copa in F was fantastic (MIA-PTY-UIO-PTY-MIA) - highly recommend

will do my first C class on AF, KL & NW later this summer - hoping for a good experience

That's what I can remember at the moment
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

mauiman31

Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:35 pm

Well. . . in many years of flying for leisure and traveling for work for the past 20 years - many times.

But, let me say also have flown economy many many times and still do. . .

Until they went away (sniff! lol) - many F trips on TW on their 727's, DC9's, 763's and L-1011's. I flew TW almost exclusively for years, so got lots of upgrades.

Flew a couple times in F with BN on their 727's in the late 70's.

80's to present -- F and Biz on US, NW, DL and the most times on AA. On 737's, DC9's, DC10's, L1011's, 757's, MD80's, 763's. . . respectively. . . mostly domestic.

My next F/C trip is with AA for work in a couple weeks . . . MCI-DFW-LAX-SBA-LAX-DFW-MCI. On MD80's, a 763, and a 757. Two legs on AAEagle regional jet - no F seats.

But, last week it was I call WN First Class. . . (I had the middle seat open back from LAX!! LOL. )

deltairlines

Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:44 pm

I've flown domestic F here in the States hundreds of times - one of the perks of being an elite frequent flyer is complimentary upgrades here in the States.

Nothing that special - free drinks, bigger seat and maybe a meal.

lhr380

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:17 am

Most recently LHR JFK in BA Longhaul J (Have a TR about it go read it  Smile )
LHR YYZ return in Longhaul J
LHR AUH in Longhaul J
LGW ALC in Shorthaul J
Never flown F as yet  Sad
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

falstaff

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:59 am

I have flown in F on NW DTW-STL/STL-DTW many times. Sometimes I pay for it because it usually isn't much more on that route. Sometimes it is an upgrade.

I recently flew NW DTW-PIT and return in F.

I flew STL-YYZ and return on TW in F back in 1999.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

andaman

Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:43 am

My only C-class experiences so far are:

KLM HEL-AMS (luckily overbooked)
Finnair BKK-HKG-BKK (very cheap)
Finnair BKK-HEL (award)

All great fun, especially on wide bodies. I only wish I would have had company to share the experiences. Kind of boring to drink Niepoort 20y old Tawny alone...
From BKK to HEL there were only six passengers in C-class and all the attention I got from the great Finnish-Thai crew was almost too much!

AY BKK-HEL (C)
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

Soxfan

Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:57 am

Here's my recollection of the times I traveled in premium class.

AA MIA-LGA: Fine. A morning breakfast of an omelette with bagels and biscuits (fine). The flight attendants did stay in the galley more than the cabin, and the typical brown 757 seats were outdated but generally comfortable. The flight was on time and overall it was a good experience.

AA BOS-SJU: One of the best experiences I've had. The flight attendants were amazing, incredibly personable, and constantly checking on passengers. The dinner (cheese-stuffed shells, salad, cheesecake, warm bread) was delicious and filling, and as I sat in the first row of the 757 I was able to put my feet up on the bulkhead. Perhaps some frequent fliers come to expect this as standard, but I thought it was an extraordinary experience.

CO MAD-EWR: Also excellent, although it was my first time flying business class so I guess I'm a little biased. The food was good (especially the mid-flight fresh-baked chocolate-chip cookie), flight attendants excellent, and 777 seats really comfortable and great for sleeping. The only drawback was the IFE not AVOD (at the time), but it was still a really great experience.

DL JFK-TLV-JFK. Both fine, although not spectacular. The flight attendants were generally personable and the AVOD was really great. As these were both night flights, I appreciated the amenity kits and thick, comfortable eyeshades, although the noise-cancelling headphones gave this weird, echoey sound. The 763 was one of the newer builds, but seats felt really narrow (though standard for international 763 flights) though generally comfortable. The food for the most part was good. The outbound flight was delayed due to a late-arriving aircraft, but Delta did a great job of notifying passengers as early as possible and keeping them informed. One of the lounges (over the main terminal concourse) was really nice, while the other (closer to gate 6, I believe) felt much smaller and tired.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll do my best to elaborate!  Smile
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"

mal787

Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:32 am

First flew in Business on SQ BNE > MNL via Sin to attend my brothers wedding , this was on the 1st 777 I had flown on always rememberd having the hang over fron hell as i GOT ON.

Have done a few Aust > Europe flights on QF & BA in Business on the 747 , 777 & 380 must admit I do prefer the upperdeck on the 744 out of all of them .Next Europe flight will be in the QF 2 class 744 and hope to get 1A as this is a Business zone, fingers crossed for this as it will be the closest I will ever get to a 1st class flight .

Heaps of domestic business but i don't pay for these mostly upgrades

mal787
BN2 Metro, 402,404, Conquest, king air, 707,727.200, 732,733,734,735,736,738,757,762,763,742,743,744, MD11, DC9,Westwind

WAC

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:03 am

In C yes a lot but never in F, i still don't think it is worth unless u really need the extra FF level/
C various on carrier and whether it is domestic/European or long haul. The only carrier I have flown and C has been worth it on short haul is BA LX OZ CX and SQ. The worst C has been on EK on their Airbuses (not on their 777 or A380) and of course AZ.

nicholaschee

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:39 am

Mainly on J on SQ but been in J on MI/MH /AC/NH as well but not as many times. Never tried F, might do my virgin flight this year 

[Edited 2009-06-15 04:42:37]

sw733

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:54 pm

My work trips are in biz, but my personal trips are in coach.

While my works trips are too frequent to name, my best experiences in international biz have been Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Emirates and British Airways. Next month I will try V Australia,and the month after that I will try Malaysian, so I am excited for two new ones. I ended up in First Class just once, on Cathay Pacific doing a LAX-HKG route, which was beyond glorious.

CXfirst

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:54 pm

Just arrived from doing PER-SIN-LHR in business with SQ. It was great.

Travelled in Business class some times before. Two years ago, I did PER-SIN-CPH-SIN-PER in business with SQ. Apart from that, it has been mostly me getting my fathers seat for some flights when I was smaller. I've been given his BA C seat a couple times. His CX C seat once, and his CX F seat once (C seat but upgraded due to overbooking). That is where my username comes from. CX is the first airline I travelled in First class with.

-CXfirst

staralliance38

Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:08 pm

My only F experience was with US Airways from MCO-PHL.

The FA was very impressed with a letter I gave her and she told me that after takeoff, she would let me sit in 1C of the B757. Very nice! My seatmate was awesome too! I really enjoyed it  Smile. Kudos to US lol!
Roar, lion, roar

Sneiled

Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:48 pm

First time in 2002 in China on China Southern (CZ) from Shenzhen (SZX) to Beijing (PEK) first class on brand new 777. Got upgrade for heavy discount ticket because my company had given lot of corporates to them on domestic sector.

Second time in 2003 with AF on CDG-HKG, overbooking issue, I was volunteer and then got on the flight at last minute in Biz.
Pity I had no time to go to the lounge even they gave an invitation card.
My boss was travelling on the same flight (Y class) and was made at me that I was seating in Biz.... Good memory.

hamad

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:21 pm

first time:
IAD - AMS on a northwest DC-10, it was nice, my first time in business class

Then

2004 UA/LH: PHX- IAD - FRA - DXB
2005 UA /LH: DEN - IAD - FRA - DXB
2006 UA/LH: ORD - FRA - DXB
2007 UA/LH : DEN - IAD - MUC - DXB
2008 LH: DEN- FRA - DXB
2008 LH/AC: DXB - FRA - YYZ - FRA - DXB (Air canada executive class was spectacular)
2009 EK DXB - BEY - DXB
2009 EK DXB - DOH - DXB
PHX - i miss spotting

Sneiled

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm

I spent 40K Miles on United to fly First from SIN to NRT in January this year.
Old seat configuration on the 777 but awesome experience especially for the United First class lounge at NRT.
Asian crew really make the difference on United on intra asian-routes.

blueflyer

Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:07 pm

I have flown Y, C and F pretty much from any continent to any other continent.

Most flights are in C (or F on domestic US legs), as it is the usual class for company-paid trips. Y is for personal flights (I do get frequent upgrades, though) and "gotta get there now no matter what" company trips, and so is F, but F is also for airline upgrade (rare - many airlines do not upgrade, ever, for any reason, from C to F) and company trips where F is deemed necessary, such as DFW-MEL by way of LHR (yes, for our purpose, it does make sense).

With all the improvements that C is going through, it's more than sufficient for 99% of the trips, whatever the purpose, in my opinion. Of course, F is nicer, but not really necessary, and it isn't as much of a leg up as C is over Y. F has become a cabin for status-conscious and "the other plane is at the shop" passengers, in my opinion.

LDIkaros

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:03 am

I usually travel Y or premium Y but I got upgraded once to C on SriLankan from HKG-BKK. Too bad the flight was so short - less than 3 hours. The best part was the food.

Still, I would probably not pay for C, at least on such short flights. I'd rather pamper myself on the ground.

deltairlines

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:30 am

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 20):
Of course, F is nicer, but not really necessary, and it isn't as much of a leg up as C is over Y.

With lie-flat and flat-bed seats now becoming the standard (and not the exception) for Business Class now, all that's left in F is a little bit wider of a seat (and maybe some more legroom) and better service (now, Suites is a bit different, but still).

I remember reading one TR on AA, where a F/A basically commented that the only difference between AA F and AA C with the new seats is a hand-tossed salad, an extra menu option and a wider seat. Very minimal, and not really worth even an extra $1000 in my mind.

NWADC9

Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:27 am

Northwest 747-400 DTW-SEL F-yes, F (nose cone, to be exact)

Northwest 747-200 NRT-SEA C

Northwest 757-200 PUS-NRT C

Northwest RJ-85 MEM-JAN F

Northwest A320 MCI-MSP F (because the f/a wanted our butts in some chairs so we could push back, and F was the closest open seats nearby, so we got upgrade!)

Northwest DC-9 Various Routes F (so many I can't count 'em all, but I do remember sitting up there as a UM after being upgraded with the other UMers left in the Land of the Whine Big grin )

Midwest 717 MKE-MCI-MKE F (I consider Signature Service F even before Saver was even thought of)

The NW flights were all non-rev as a child (the 744 was when I was seven, even though the rule was eight and up). Midwest was just because the whole plane was that configuration.
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

tennis69

Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:39 am

According to flightmemory.com -

First - 75 times
Business - 184 times

tietkej

Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:51 pm

First on EK from HAM-DXB (free upgrade  Silly ) - the wine list was sensational....
Premium Economy on VS (SYD-LHR). Guess that doesn't count though (although the seats are still wider than in LH's business class, for instance  Smile )

readytotaxi

Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:15 pm

!989, my first ever trip to the USA, flew CO Business class to SFO via Denver.
That got me hooked and have never flown Y since.
The return trip the flight was 2 hours delayed and the gate staff upgraded me to FIRST.
Can still remember the meal being served on a trolley, meat being carved by hand and silver service. Flying was fun then and gentlemen wore a suit and tie.  Big grin
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

fbgdavidson

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:01 pm

I've been fortunate enough to have grown up flying business (with the occasional first class trip) since birth.

Now I'm at the age where I can afford to pay for my own trips and the vast majority of my travels are premium cabin. Longhaul I won't fly economy and I have a large enough stash of miles so that I can fly redeem for business/first if the fares are ridiculous. As I'm booking far in advance I can usually score the discounted fares so it isn't often a problem.

Shorthaul within the US I am slightly less fussy and weigh up the pros and cons of the situation; economy vs first class price, seating on equipment, length of flight, how much of the trip is on a single class regional jet etc. Around 75-80% of the time I can justify the YUP/QUP fare and book into the front cabin. Within Europe I'll fly business class as the extra cost is marginal.

As for the experience, you've been here since 2003 and don't know about the trip report forum?  Wink
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

PlymSpotter

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:34 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 27):
As for the experience, you've been here since 2003 and don't know about the trip report forum?

We do, but where have you been - not seen a report from you in a little while, or have I not been looking?  Smile

I've flown C a few times; upgrades with KLM, 'paying' my own way with cheap IB economy fares which, for a while, you could book but still fly on Air Nostrum where the whole cabin was C, and most recently a C class experience with Aeroflot.

Normally I stick to the economy cabins, that way instead of flying maybe 10-15 times a year, I can fly 60-80 times and splash out a bit when it comes to getting on rare and unusual aircraft. Once I've completed my Degree and (hopefully) have a decent job but fewer vacations, then I expect the balance will tip back the other way and I'll fly C more often.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

fbgdavidson

Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:16 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 28):
We do, but where have you been - not seen a report from you in a little while, or have I not been looking?  

The last one I wrote was back in December. Since then most of my travels have been on routes and in cabins I've either reported on before recently or have just been to dull to bother reporting on. There's only so many times you can write a report on BA Club World/First across the pond...

I'm due to fly the new United international First seat in a couple of months so might break out the camera and notebook for that.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

WestJetForLife

Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:16 am

I flew AA first from YYC to BGI via DFW and MIA back in March. Quite nice. Meal was good, seats were decent for sleeping/eating, had a good bunch of F/As (some of them were hot).

All in all, AA F was great.

Nik
I need a drink.

wilco737

Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:26 am

Never flown F class - yet, but I cannot count how many times I flew C class. My last Y class flight was not too long ago on S7 and the last flight before that in Y class - I cannot remember  duck 

wilco737

modesto2

Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:19 pm

As an airline employee, I've done my share of non-revenue travel in premium cabins. I only have access to U.S. airlines, but this is what I've done in the last two and a half years in business cabins with one first class ride on UA's P.S. transcon:

CO EWR-ATH-EWR
CO EWR-MXP; FCO-EWR
UA SFO-ICN-SFO
CO EWR-CDG-EWR

DL ATL-DKR-CPT; CPT-DKR
UA JFK-LAX
DL ATL-SCL
US PHL-MUC
UA IAD-EZE; CO EZE-IAH
CO EWR-ARN-EWR
UA LAX-SYD
CO EWR-MXP-EWR

CO EWR-MAD
NW SEA-AMS-SEA

CO IAH-NRT-IAH

ClassicLover

Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:45 pm

Yeah quite a bit... all paid for by me...

Around the world with oneworld in J - Qantas, Cathay Pacific, British Airways, Finnair, American Airlines (with some of that in Domestic First on AA)

SIN-BKK-HEL-LHR in J - Finnair - MD11

LHR-AMM-BKK and back and BUD-AMM-BKK and back on Royal Jordanian Crown Class

BKK-SYD on British Airways in First (using points)

DUB-BUD-DUB on Malev in J

I've not flown in the Premium Cabins on anything but oneworld airlines... still need to try LAN, JAL, and Iberia  Smile
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

jetblueguy22

Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:19 pm

I've flown F on NW several times. Including MSP-JFK x1,MSP-BDLx1,MSP-DTWx1,DTW-BDLx1,BDL-MSPx1. Not bad for 16 Big grin. Does help with a Platinum elite stepfather Big grin.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

UltimateDelta

Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:26 pm

I've been in F in DL three times, I think (SAV-ATL 1x, ATL-MCI 2x). It wasn't like royalty or anything, but it was certainly nice to have extra room and food.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

teme1976

Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:14 am

I travel for holidays not for work and only recently have afforded to travel in J class. Have to say, that once you do that it is very difficult to return back to economy class especially on long haul. My flights in J so far:

HEL-CPH-BKK-KUL (SAS and Thai)
HEL-MAD-MEX-MAD-FRA-HEL (Finnair and Iberia)

and next week will do

HEL-PEK-ICN-HKG-HEL (Finnair, Korean Air and Cathay) Really looking forward to that one. So far Thai Airways has been the most pleasant one.

BMIFlyer

Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:50 am

Quoting Eric (Thread starter):
Have You Ever Travelled C Or F?

Both  Smile

United "P.S" C Class 6 Days, 8 Flights & 16000 Miles On UA (Long/Pics) (by BMIFlyer Oct 13 2005 in Trip Reports)

Air Canada J Class (A319) Amazing Trip Across The Atlantic By A319 (Pics) (by BMIFlyer May 25 2007 in Trip Reports)

SQ C and F class (B744) SQ Long Haul In First, Biz & Y Class (Pics/Vids) (by BMIFlyer Mar 1 2008 in Trip Reports)

Amazing trips, on all occasions Big grin

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

skord

Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:08 am

Many times TATL with LH and SK, and one time on the LH BBJ (Privatair 737-700!)

1. LH is good, its a bit robotic, service-wise, but the Cabins are smart and clean. Food is a bit hit-and-miss i find. Their Crew are always very well presented and professional, if a little impersonal (however, 3weeks ago FRA-MCO the Cabin Manager(?) was a superb guy... extremely friendly and personal, with a consant smile for 10hrs!!)

2. Privatair BBJ. Lovely, LOVELY plane!!! Only 24pax, so 50% load. Mixed crew, most were so unfriendly they bordered on hostile!!! Only 1 very friendly young woman who actually made the flight worthwhile! It was a shame to watch as she tried so hard to be nice to the passengers and the rest of the Crew were obviously not talking to her. It was fun to fly on what was the closest i will ever get to a "private Jet" but the crew were simply awful!!

3. SK. Regardless of my name, i can be impartial!! I have always had superb flights on SK! Their planes and cabins may not be the best in the skys, their Crews are one the wrong side of 40, and they let themselves down BADLY by using plastic cups, and serving meals with the cling-film and foil still on!!! (horrible, HORRIBLE!!) . But... very friendly crew, a cosy, comfortable cabin. Their meal service is pure class, syncronised service down both aisles every time, crew wearing restaurant style uniform. Its almost silver service...!!
Their self-serve buffet (between meals) in the Galley is the best ever... wine, beers, soft drinks, sandwiches, chocolate..... !
On their 2nd meal service you are presented with the most amazing Open Sandwiches you have ever seen!! Served personally off a huge platter with a varied choice and a full drink service, its a 2nd meal without doubt!!!
Cant wait till November... ARN-EWR..... My stomachs rumbling already!  Big grin

burnsie28

Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:13 pm

C:
NW: FRA-DTW, AMS-MSP

F:
NW: (All routes are both ways) DEN-MSP-, DEN-MEM, DEN-DTW, MSP-GFK, MSP-FAR, MSP-STL, MSP-ATL, MSP-DTW, MSP-JFK, MSP-FLL, MSP-MIA, MSP-DFW, MSP-MEM, MSP-PBI, MSP-MCO, DTW-FLL, DTW-ATL, DTW-MIA, DTW-PBI, DTW-MEM, DTW-BHM, DTW-MSY, DTW-MCO, MEM-BHM, MEM-MSY, MEM-MCO, MEM-FLL, MEM-PBI, MEM-ATL

DL: COS-ATL

blink182

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:39 pm

Within the past year--
CO DFW-EWR
--An upgrade. A nice reward for all the miles I put in CO Y. Nice and large meal with free alcohol etc., and the seat was standard United States domestic F. Not a bad experience overall, but I would not have paid more than $100 extra though.

Alltime--
1999 F AA DFW-ORD
1999 C AA ORD-ZRH
1999 C AA LGW-DFW
1995 C LY JFK-TLV-JFK--my first international trip!

The business class seats I sat in are all old-generation by current standardsand I was so young at the time that I did not really appreciate the experiences, including meals etc. I've done several longhauls since 1999, but they have all been in Y.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

OHLHD

Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:30 am

Not too many times:

VIE-MUC-VIE ( A319, CRJ on OS )
DAM-DXB ( B747SP on RB)
DEL-BOM ( 747 on AI)
VIE-ZRH-CAI-ZRH-VIE ( A319, A343,AR8 on LX)

Upgraded twice:
ZRH-VIE ( OS F100)
ARN-VIE ( SK M87)

All in C-Class. I have not flwon First yet but I am sure I will one day.  Smile

[Edited 2009-07-01 00:31:52]

warren747sp

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:28 am

I am fortunate enough that all my flights are in C or better on flights of more than 1 hour flying time.
So far I have flown NW, DL, AF, CI, JAL, SAA, AC, CO, BA, MH, SQ, KLM. BR, IB,and KA and of course CX. But I have to say nothing compares with flying F class on a BA744 with the service and styles offered to you.
I hope you will be able to try in the near future as well.
747SP

BAViscount

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:29 pm

I've only flown true Business class once, and that was when I had to attend a meeting in Dublin, and was travelling there and back in the same day. Our company travel arranger had to book me in Business as we weren't sure which flight I would need to catch home as we didn't know when the meeting would finish. This was back in about 1996/7 in the days before EI became the airline that it is today with their BOB service, and on their first flight of the day out of LHR we got a champaign breakfast! The vast majority of pax on the flight that morning were in Business class, with Economy being probably about the last five rows of the 737!

I obviously flew Business both ways, but I really have no recollection of the return flight due to the stupid o'clock start that morning, a tough meeting and copious amounts of Guinness at DUB due to a heavily delayed return flight.  drunk 

I did once fly in the Business cabin of a QF flight from CNS to SYD (on the upper deck of a 743), but the seat was sold as Economy, so didn't get to experience Business class service.  Sad
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

BNE

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:05 am

Have You Ever Travelled C Or F?

Quoting Eric (Thread starter):
If so, where to and when?

Yes a few times: this being a.net then there aren't that many Business or First Class trip reports.

In reverse order, my flights in J: I have never flown in First.
May 2009 EK AKL-SYD A380: cheap business class airfare starting from New Zealand
Feb 2009 QF BNE-SYD 767-300 Points
Aug 2008 JQ SYD-MEL A330 Paid
Oct 2007 SQ SIN-SYD A380 Paid
Jan 2007 JL NRT-BNE 747-300 Op Up thanks JAL
May 2005 QF SYD-BNE 767-300 Points
Feb 2004 QF BNE-SYD 737-800 Points
Sep 2002 QF BNE-SYD 767-300 Points
Sep 2001 QF SYD-BNE 737-400 Points
Apr 2000 BA BNE-SIN-LHR-LHR-SIN-BNE 747-300/747-400. Paid  dollarsign   dollarsign   dollarsign 

So 13 times in over 200 flights I have flown in business and mostly on short domestic flights, so not that often, lack of points and money, have flown a few times for work but the budget doesn't stretch to business class.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

TheCommodore

Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Have been lucky enough to fly business between SYD and various place in Europe a few times on QF and TG.

Also Business/first to MRU from SYD last yeay 2008 on Air Mauritius, Very good service

Business from SYD to CHC on NZ was fantastic for a short flight.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

pdxtriple7

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:46 pm

I've flown first class only when I get upgraded thanks to my frequent flyer class. I've never flown first internationally, but I have been upgraded on several transcons on DL and NW (PDX-JFK, PDX-ATL). I'm young (almost 21), so I get some strange looks when I get to board early. I love the leg room and the drink when I'm on the ground. Hopefully I'll travel in F on international flights on my company's tab. Can't really justify the difference otherwise.

zkeoj

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:04 pm

I am sure there are plenty of Anetters that regularly fly in C or F for work. Sadly, my employer can't pay for that. However, I was lucky enough to get the odd upgrade, and just earlier this year I flew AKL-PEK-IST-CGN-LHR-HKG-AKL in C on an award ticket. Air NZ is still my number one - their lie-flat beds are the best I have experienced, and their service is impeccable. I was a bit disappointed by SWISS. There was nothing wrong at all, but the cabin and seats (A340-300) felt a bit dated, and the IFE/PTV was, quite frankly, crap. The crew was great though!

Just got back from a long haul in Y, and I miss my C flights - what a difference! I don't care too much about service, but seat comfort is paramount (especially since I am traveling for work).

Cheers
micha

bps3458

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:20 am

Fortunately most of my overseas business trips are in C or F as I simply refuse to fly in coach for business due to my height of 6'7". No problem flying economy and often purchase extra leg room seats in advance.

This year have flown/will fly in C or F as per below:

June 09 / KE / BNE-ICN-BNE / Prestige Class / good service but very disappointing seats
Next week / SQ / BNE-SIN-FRA return / Business Class
September / EY / SYD-AUH-FRA return / First Class

That's all for this year. When I travel overseas with the family and have to pay out of my own pocket do fly economy and just squeeze my legs in to coach but try to use airlines with best pitch (MH has to be my favorite).

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

DesertAir

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:27 pm

I just flew San Diego-Dallas-Miami-Quito on AA First and International Business. Since I rarely fly First Class, I found the experience very positive. The meals were fine and the service attentive. The trip was long and flying up front made the trip less tiring, No fighting for overhead bin space, comfortable seats and free booze along the way.