Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Glom
Topic Author

Why Can't I Book Flights On Miles?

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:19 am

I was just on flybmi.com trying to book (well just check really) flights to Cairo for beginning of December on miles. It threw up an error message when checking the price for miles + cash saying no fares were available. But the calendar said seats were available!

Why is it not working?

It's not excuse #1: flybmi.com is crap, is it?

BrianDromey

RE: Why Can't I Book Flights On Miles?

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:37 am

Quoting Glom (Thread starter):
It's not excuse #1: flybmi.com is crap, is it?

Bingo. You are better off to call the call centre and they should be able to book it for you.

rutankrd

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:38 am

I think in the current environment airlines NEED CASH and not free loaders (No disrespect meant)

Almost certainly seats available but it will be less loss making to fly with empty seats and reduced payload than fill with mile claimants -This applies to other carriers as well !

The economical dynamic has changed and these incentives are a COST and burden for cash strapped operators to continue with therefore terms and conditions are being revised across the industry.

#1 might be equally valid however.

rutankrd

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:46 am

As Brain said phone in !

Glom
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:58 am

Quoting Rutankrd (Reply 2):
I think in the current environment airlines NEED CASH and not free loaders (No disrespect meant)

Joke's on them. I was going to pay miles + cash. But now, if my previous loyalty to bmi is not going to pay off, I might as well fly another airline so they get nothing.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 1):
You are better off to call the call centre and they should be able to book it for you.

Dumbasses said there was no availability. Why did they say their was on the calendars? And why did they break the news to me by giving an error message? I looked like they'd had a technical fault and thus further made is look as though flybmi.com is crap.

cloudyapple

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:24 am

Quoting Rutankrd (Reply 2):

That's not necessarily correct. Miles are regarded as a liability to the airlines. So paying with miles should benefit the airlines just as much by reducing their liability on their books.

Also fares go up and down with the market but if you pay using miles, it's usually the same amount all year round. So by getting rid of passengers' miles now using cheap seats, the airlines will have more capacity for money paying passengers in the future when the fares go back up.
A310/A319/20/21/A332/3/A343/6/A388/B732/5/7/8/B742/S/4/B752/B763/B772/3/W/E145/J41/MD11/83/90

swiftski

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:24 am

Quoting Glom (Reply 4):
Dumbasses said there was no availability. Why did they say their was on the calendars?

Which calendar? The mileage redemption calendar, or the regular fares calendar?

BrianDromey

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:01 pm

Quoting Glom (Reply 4):
Dumbasses said there was no availability.

The joys of the Indian call centre. I can see reward availibility on both BD and MS for outbound travel in both Y and J for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of December on BD 772 and MS 777.

I would try the call centre again tell them the exact flight number, date of travel and class of travel and you will be fine - the BD call centre is notoriously hit-or-miss, os if they feed you a load of old cobblers just hang up and try again. If you don't already have it join the ANA FFP (it's free) this will give you real-time availability of seats for rewards across the entire *A network (save for LX, I believe).

Brian.

Glom
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:09 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 6):
Which calendar? The mileage redemption calendar, or the regular fares calendar?

The one you get when you go to redeem your miles with flights. You select your routing and then the calendars from outbound and return appear. That calendar. It said availability.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 7):
I can see reward availibility on both BD and MS for outbound travel in both Y and J for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of December on BD 772 and MS 777.

Yes, it looked that way to me too. Not only could I select dates, but I could also select flights. The error message came up when I tried to go to step 3: checking the fares.

I would try the call centre again tell them the exact flight number, date of travel and class of travel and you will be fine - the BD call centre is notoriously hit-or-miss, os if they feed you a load of old cobblers just hang up and try again.

Thanks for the advice. My friend and I haven't fully bottomed out the arrangements yet so I was only checking at this stage. I'll keep at it.

If you don't already have it join the ANA FFP (it's free) this will give you real-time availability of seats for rewards across the entire *A network (save for LX, I believe).

Interesting idea. Do they do an Amex? Most of my DC miles are racked up using Amex. It's efficient. I've built up miles really quickly. I just wish I could f****** spend the m************.

swiftski

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:21 pm

Quoting Glom (Reply 8):
The one you get when you go to redeem your miles with flights. You select your routing and then the calendars from outbound and return appear. That calendar. It said availability.

Ah ok, just wondered if it was a "seats available" vs "mileage redemption seats available" issue.

Guess not!

BrianDromey

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Quoting Glom (Reply 8):
Interesting idea. Do they do an Amex? Most of my DC miles are racked up using Amex. It's efficient. I've built up miles really quickly. I just wish I could f****** spend the m************.

Im not sure if they do, or not. I would stick with BD anyway as the burn/earn ratio is about the best in the business, as you say the AMEX makes it even easier to earn miles. I am a DC member and that is where all my *A flights go, but the ANA one is just for checking availability, I've never credited a mile to it, nor do I plan to.

Brian.

AirNZ

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:05 pm

Quoting Glom (Reply 4):
I looked like they'd had a technical fault and thus further made is look as though flybmi.com is crap.

On a reality note though, any website anywhere in the world can experience technical issues. I see them/work with them on a daily basis and it's nothing unique to BMI
Believe me, it happens much more than you realise. There could very well be no availability and, whilst frustrating, arriving at such general conclusions as shown in the thread is inherently incorrect whether that be criticism of the automated site or reservation staff.
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

eric

Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:12 pm

Firstly, do a cash and miles redemption in C (not Y, horrible value) as BD is probably the cheapest program.

- Note the date (and as mentioned, sign up the the ANA program as you will see availability but ExpertFlyer also has BD availability)
- Call the call centre, give the flight number and date. If this involves two segments, start with the longest first then say you want to add on another segment
- If they say no availability (and you know there is through checking ANA or EF), hang up and call again.
- They accept AmEx, but it incur a fee (so do all CC's)
n

isitsafenow

Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:38 pm

Welcome to the airline world of "Ha Ha ..screwed another one..."

That's been our compliant for years....all those miles and no place to go..
If you do happen to get the flights you want(times and date) notice the 3 to 5 hour wait between flights.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.