Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

shamrock321
Topic Author

Your Career In Aviation.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:06 pm

Hello everybody, I know we hear how many of us work in many different areas of aviations via other threads etc, but I thought it would be good to see where those of us work in aviation work.

I work as a baggage services agents at DUB, not for an airline unfortunatley but for a handling agent. I started with a different handling agent and there I did check-in, boarding and then baggage services.

So lets hear about your jobs!

KPDX

RE: Your Career In Aviation.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Armchair CEO.

Signed,....well, nevermind. You get it.  Wink

MattRB

Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:17 pm

I'm a Station Attendant with Air Canada here in Toronto. Not what I want to do long-term, so I'm looking to get into a better position.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

shamrock321
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:29 pm

MattRB, what does a station attendant do?

texan

Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:33 pm

I interned for a regional airline in college, worked at an FBO for nearly 2 years after college, clerked for the FAA's Office of Regional Counsel for the Eastern Region last summer, and clerked for a law firm specializing in airport law for the first 5 months of this year. I'll be hearing back within 8 days about whether or not I get to go to another great aviation law position! And, of course, all of these positions were in different areas of the country (Midwest, Texas, Northeast, Mountain West).

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

MattRB

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Quoting Shamrock321 (Reply 3):
MattRB, what does a station attendant do?

Ramp rat. Baggage handling, connection running, lav/water, cabin services, etc.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

Acey559

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:26 pm

I've been a Customer Service Agent off and on for the past four years. I was finally able to get a reserve position so I can keep my job throughout the year and not have to quit after the summer is over. I do everything below wing like marshaling, push back, loading and unloading bags, cleaning planes and lav service. I enjoy my job but I'm hoping it will be a stepping stone to a career as an airline pilot. We'll just have to see, though.  Wink
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

Fly2HMO

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:37 pm

Well my only real aviation job has been and internship with the flight safety department of CO. It was an awesome experience, even though I didn't get paid, I'm pretty much type rated in the 737, got awesome non-rev privileges, among other perks.

Right now I'm finishing up my CFII, with no job lined up anytime soon  banghead 

PH-TVH

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:43 pm

Flying the 747-400 for a year and a half now....

Sniffmom

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:49 pm

I used to work for Scandinavian Airlines. After travelling around the world in my early 20s, working in the airline industry became my dream job. I spent a year in Norway and the UK adding to my education to specialize in the travel industry and landed my dream job at the ticketing office at Oslo's then airport, Fornebu (FBU).

After 4 years, I was competely fed up. Fed up of making excuses for the pilots striking, for the check-in personell striking, for the FAs striking, for the baggage handlers striking, for the mechanics striking, for the ATCs striking, for the catering companies striking and for everybody else but me striking. In the rare event of everyone else showing up for work, one could be certain that the god d*** weather would be on strike!

I ended up in the winebusiness instead. Grapes have a habit of staying fairly quiet.

B6JFKH81

Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:22 pm

I am a Materiel Coordinator (yes, you spell it materiEl) and in a nutshell my job is to oversee the movement of all the aircraft parts that we own to every city we fly to (along with my crew) to ensure parts are at allocated levels in the cities before an aircraft needs it. If a plane needs something in a city and I couldn't get the parts there earlier, or the city was not allocated, it falls under the AOG Coordinators. In essence, we are the hub of moving the a/c parts around and coordinating with various groups including purchasing, repairs, planning, MX crews, etc. We are currently oversee an average of 10,000 parts requests per month.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

sandrozrh

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:37 am

I've just completed my ab-initio ATPL pilot training at LX (yesterday, in fact Big grin ) and am now waiting for july to come to start my A320 conversion training. Can't wait! If everything works out alright, I will be flying as an LX A320 F/O in early fall, and will be fully checked out towards years end.

wilco737

Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:08 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 11):

Finally. Congrats  thumbsup 

I am on the MD11F currently. About 1300 hours on her already.

wilco737

FighterPilot

Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:44 am

Pilot! Big grin

Cal  airplane 
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

signol

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:56 am

I used to work for AF, as an English language teacher in the internal language school at CDG. Now, though, nothing to do with airlines - I work in IT. But we do have BA as a firewall customer...

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

LHRjc

Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:43 pm

If all goes well I shall be job hunting for an F/O's job come the end of the year. Let's hope there are actually some jobs by then!
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

747m8te

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm employed by a ground handler, and I'm cross trained in most areas of the operations on the ground (from check-in/baggage handling/rampie/dispatcher/load control/aircraft servicing and cleaning/flight support/trainer etc hehe I love the variety in my work) for a few different airlines, though mostly now have a supervisory position running shifts and turnarounds, both International and Domestic  Wink
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W

OffshoreAir

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:27 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 12):
I am on the MD11F currently. About 1300 hours on her already.

wilco737

For Lufthansa Cargo? If so, I analyze your loads and do a lot of your BSA with DHL Express. And I also help figure out where you need to fly to  Smile
OffshoreAir

wilco737

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Quoting OffshoreAir (Reply 17):
For Lufthansa Cargo?

yes 

Quoting OffshoreAir (Reply 17):
f so, I analyze your loads and do a lot of your BSA with DHL Express. And I also help figure out where you need to fly to  

So you are responsible for all that mess  duck  Just kidding.

You do all the network planning for DHL?

wilco737

Fiveholer

Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:58 pm

CSA for CO. Will be 2 years next month.

Danny
Bring back Bethune!

02hilliert

Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:51 am

I joined Monarch Airlines just over a year ago as an Economic Planning Analyst...
Next Up: Back to the US - Charlotte & Kansas City

shamrock321
Topic Author

Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:50 pm

02hilliert so your planning this economy we are living with!

I wasissued with 6 weeks redundancy notice yesterday, lookslike my company is pulling the plug on all of us unless they can get hold of some new work quick!

CanadianNorth

Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Currently an aircraft maintenance apprentice working on HS748s, 737-200 and 737-200 Combi; and also run the fuel truck 2 evenings per week. I really enjoy it, learning lots about the airplanes and get to do a variety of tasks. Prior to going to school for aircraft maintenance I was with cabin services for the same airline.

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

MidEx216

Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:32 pm

I'm a bouncer.

Since I was months old, I've been flying with my father (leisure).
In 2004, I worked at SBM during the PGA tour.
In 2006, I got a job at YX, working on the ramp.
In 2007, I started flying, logging a total of 20 before funds dried up some..
In Fall 2009, I will transfer to University of North Dakota as a double major in Commercial Aviation / Air Traffic Control.

AY104

Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:12 pm

1969 - 1970 When I was 19, worked for APSA Peruvian Airlines at their downtown London office on Regent Street, and also at the ops office at LGW for the twice-weekly flight from LIM. It was a DC8-51 series I believe. It was routed LIM-CCS-POS-MAD-ORY-LGW from what I remember. Stupid of me not to have kept at least a timetable. I used to do odd jobs downtown, and take the company mail out to the airport and put the cargo pouch on the aircraft etc.

1972 - 1975 Worked for Finnair at their cargo office in JYV in Central Finland for the summer, and also at the ticket desk in the same building. Not a large office, at the time JYV was a city of about 60,000 people. If I remember correctly, there were 3 flights a day to HEL, and one that came from HEL and continued on to OUL and RVN.
In Sept that year, my station manager at JYV arranged for an interview for me at HEL. I am a Canadian citizen, and in those days was only allowed to work for 3 months on a work visa. He was trying to help me get a position at AMS as a Traffic Offficer, as it was called then. I went down to HEL, and had an interview, then was given a positive space ticket to AMS, where I met the Station Manager and District Manager and offered the job. I worked there for 3 years, and came back to Canada (Vancouver) the year after my Father died.
Finnair was a wonderful and fun company to work for, and I got very familiar with many of the crew members coming through AMS. The DC8 service to JFK, which originated in HEL, always overnighted crews each way, so I have many fond memories of get-togethers with them at AMS. They stayed at the American Hotel, and we had many a fun night at the bar in the hotel called NachtWacht, named after the most famous Rembrandt painting "Night Watch".

1975 - 1998 Worked at YVR for Western Airlines until 1987, when Western merged with Delta Air Lines. In 1998, Delta pulled out of YVR, and instead of being transferred to YYZ or YUL, or to work for UA where I was offered a job (as they would take over the handling of America West from us), I decided it was time for me to leave the airline industry for good. I really did not like it as much since deregulation had started, and more recently the Frequent Flyer programs. Until that time, my customer service skills were excellent, but I had been thinking of a career change anyway, and when Delta pulled out of YVR that was my ticket out, and perfect timing. Many fond memories of that era as well, though, especially the Western Airline days. Our DC10 "Islander" service to HNL in the 80's was really great, and we all took an enormous pride in that. When I started with WA in 1975, we had a DC10 service daily to LAX as well. The DC10 was very comfortable in those days, with a large F Class (I believe 42 seats), and the Y section was configured 2-4-2. It was more like 2-2-2-2 really, because in between the seat pairs in the middle was a small table.

Thanks for this post, and the chance to ramble on. Sorry my post is so long-winded. It is not often that I get to recount my airline memories like this. I feel very fortunate to have had such an exciting airline career, especially in Europe at a young age, and my thoughts are that I got to work for the airlines during some of the very best years. I also believe that fate got me out of the airline business at just the right time, with no regrets and a lot of very fond memories.

Cheers,
Carl (AY104)
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

02hilliert

Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:07 pm

Quoting Shamrock321 (Reply 21):
02hilliert so your planning this economy we are living with!

I wasissued with 6 weeks redundancy notice yesterday, lookslike my company is pulling the plug on all of us unless they can get hold of some new work quick!

All I can say is that I work with what i'm dealt...

Sorry to hear about the redundancy notice. It appears to be the way things are going in the aviation world at the moment. It'll bounce back.
Next Up: Back to the US - Charlotte & Kansas City

airbuseric

Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:41 pm

Have been loadcontroller/weight & balance and loadplanning for a major Japanese airline in AMS, now continued my job as Flight Operations, route briefing, taking care for station control around the flights handling etc. Experienced over 7 years by now....
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

Sancho99504

Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:08 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 18):

I worked for United for 8 years in ANC, SEA, and PHX. Was cross-trained to do CSA and RSA activities in both ANC and PHX. Also worked for DGS in SEA for 6 months before moving to ORD and working for Servisair. Spent 2 years at ORD working LH, CZ, CK, CI, BR, CA, KZ, 2G, PO, CV, and BA Cargo freighters. Loved working the LH flights, worked with LH people and could turn the MD11f in 95 minutes by myself. So nice, I miss it.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

andaman

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Quoting AY104 (Reply 24):
1972 - 1975 Worked for Finnair at their cargo office in JYV in Central finland for the summer, and also at the ticket desk in the same building.

Interesting reading!
Perhaps we have met wen I was a little guy, here's me just before my very first flight HEL-JYV in 1975  Wink.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"