Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dl767captain
Topic Author

Delta Schedule Changes So Annoying!

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:35 pm

I booked my flight for August and found out today for the third time the schedule has been changed by about 1 minute, which makes me lose my selected seat! It's so frustrating, maybe people who don't care where they sit won't care if they are in the back of the plane but why is it that every time Delta changes their schedule by 1 minute it makes me wait a few day to pick my seat again?
Big version: Width: 706 Height: 312 File size: 52kb

flyibaby

RE: Delta Schedule Changes So Annoying!

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Thats odd, because my schedule for an international trip I have booked changed on one leg by 5mins, and my exit row seats didn't change. Perhaps its also a change of equipment and that is why?

dl767captain
Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:41 pm

this last time it changed (for the third time) for the ATL-SAN changed to a 757 which is understandable, but the SAN-ATL is the same equipment and same layout but still changes my seats whenever the time changes

Junction

I hope you make an official complaint, because I can guarantee you the schedule planning department has no clue how these types of minor manipulations can effect advance seat assignments.

dl767captain
Topic Author

Quoting Junction (Reply 3):
I hope you make an official complaint, because I can guarantee you the schedule planning department has no clue how these types of minor manipulations can effect advance seat assignments.

haha is this sarcasm? Some people will probably think i'm crazy but it really is annoying

AWACSooner

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Really?
My wife's and my schedule for PDX-JFK and JFK-CMH on 14 SEP each changed...but we got to keep our seats we selected.

What annoys me about Delta and most other airlines is that they can't let you select seats on codeshare flights (i.e. Alaska). If you codeshare with them, shouldn't you invest in the technology that'll let your customers be able to pick their seats on that flight?

burnsie28

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:44 pm

They have to notify you of any changes made to schedule as it may effect travel plans, yes even by a minute.

Junction

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:46 pm

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 4):
haha is this sarcasm? Some people will probably think i'm crazy but it really is annoying

Not sarcasm at all. I know for a fact passenger convenience is usually the last thing that comes to mind when schedule change decisions are made.

dl767captain
Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 6):
They have to notify you of any changes made to schedule as it may effect travel plans, yes even by a minute.

I'm all for them notifying me, but changing my seat to the back of the plane every time gets annoying and serves no purpose.

PI4EVER

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:59 pm

Same for me. I was told if the equipment changes, or a DL segment changes to a NW operated segment, the seats are potentially lost. My Oct flights changed from DL MD-88, to a NW A319, back to a DL MD-88 and I ended up with new and better seats on the original DL schedule. You do need to call res, but their agents are great in helping "clean up" a schedule change, and changing seats for you, or letting you select after the "clean up" on delta.com.
The only potential snafu is that some NW operated segments do not "open up" for seat selection until 60 days prior to departure date, but again I have found NW agents very helpful as well in cleaning up the booking and getting comparable seats.
There will likely be these problems from time-to-time until the two systems are combined into one system-wide application.
watch what you want. you may get it.

Mir

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:06 pm

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 4):

No, it's a good thing to do.

Your complaint is a very valid one, and it shouldn't be too difficult to address it if DL wanted to.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

CMHSRQ

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:14 pm

The only time you would loose your seat is if there is an equipment change. If the schedule changes you don't loose it, It just isn't viewable on DL.com. you can call, email, or use the chat method to request the schedule get cleaned up.
The voice of moderation

rwsea

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:16 pm

This happens frequently and it is a very frustrating aspect of Delta's website. However, in my experience the seats don't usually change in such events. If you were to call, they'd tell you that the seats have not changed, but it just takes several days for the system to re-set.

Alitalia744

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:31 pm

The Delta.com team is very aware of this issue.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

goldorak

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:41 pm

It's not only DL who is changing their schedule (and flight numbers) constantly. I noticed it's a sport played by most US airlines. I will never understand this practice which never occur (at that level) in Europe. And I can tell you it can cause you much more troubes than losing a pre-assigned seats  crazy   banghead 

dl767captain
Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:04 pm

Quoting Cmhsrq (Reply 11):
If the schedule changes you don't loose it, It just isn't viewable on DL.com.

They change every time for me, it goes from 16G to 40A (they like to stick me in the back for some reason)

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 12):
If you were to call, they'd tell you that the seats have not changed, but it just takes several days for the system to re-set.

I was just able to call and they reset my flight to allow me to choose my seat, but it did in fact change my seat which they found strange, even though it seems to happen to me every time

AmricanShamrok

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:09 pm

Quoting DL767captain (Thread starter):
I booked my flight for August and found out today for the third time the schedule has been changed by about 1 minute, which makes me lose my selected seat!

I've noticed this with my CO flight for August too-they change the arrival times by a couple of minutes but my seat is the same as what I booked.

brilondon

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Oh yeah, that will work. They don't realize the lengths us aviation crazies go to book particular seat. You can complain but because you probably are one of the few who actually check to confirm their flights you won't get very far. if you get some form of response please let us know,but I doubt it.

Quoting AwacsOONER (Reply 5):
What annoys me about Delta and most other airlines is that they can't let you select seats on code-share flights (i.e. Alaska). If you code-share with them, shouldn't you invest in the technology that will let your customers be able to pick their seats on that flight?

This really ticks me off. Let us go one step further. I just recently booked my flight back home on DL and found that I could book a seat on the DL flights but not the NW segments yet. Why does NW do this or is it because they wait and see what the load factors are before they assign a particular type of aircraft to that segment?
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

deltairlines

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:13 pm

This was brought up to Josh Weiss (Director of Delta.com) in a Q&A session he had with FlyerTalkers at the Atlanta Airport Hilton this past Thursday. The person asking the question said that it'd be great for us to have a button where we can hit yes to acknowledge the change and have all that is right to be restored. Josh took that feedback and said it's something he's going to try and get done sooner than later.

DAL763ER

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:15 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 6):

And why is that? Sure, you notify the passenger of a schedule change of more than 10 minutes(on arrival) and more than 5(on departure). It doesn't actually matter since his original flight was scheduled to arrive at 55 and now is 53. If winds are good he'd still make it early...Why notify of 1-2 minutes' change...there are many factors in place that may delay or give you an advance...

PGNCS

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:12 am

I don't know about the seat assignments, but at least you got a great fare for nonstop transcons.

dl767captain
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:16 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 18):
This was brought up to Josh Weiss (Director of Delta.com) in a Q&A session he had with FlyerTalkers at the Atlanta Airport Hilton this past Thursday. The person asking the question said that it'd be great for us to have a button where we can hit yes to acknowledge the change and have all that is right to be restored. Josh took that feedback and said it's something he's going to try and get done sooner than later.

That's what I was thinking, it seems almost like its freezing your seat selection option until you see it or something.

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 19):
And why is that? Sure, you notify the passenger of a schedule change of more than 10 minutes(on arrival) and more than 5(on departure). It doesn't actually matter since his original flight was scheduled to arrive at 55 and now is 53. If winds are good he'd still make it early...Why notify of 1-2 minutes' change...there are many factors in place that may delay or give you an advance...

Ya i could see notifying any departure changes (even less than 5 minutes could make someone miss their flight). But why not just say the flight will generally arrive within 10 minutes of that given time or something rather than making it such a big deal for about two minutes.

DAL763ER

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:54 pm

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 21):
Ya i could see notifying any departure changes (even less than 5 minutes could make someone miss their flight). But why not just say the flight will generally arrive within 10 minutes of that given time or something rather than making it such a big deal for about two minutes.

It's not the airline's issue if you initially have a 35 min connection and after the switch it's 30, or 25. One should know that things like this happen and should consequently choose the best connection even if it takes one hour more to get to destination - even if there's no flight schedule change, you can still miss your flight - anything under an hour is tight...

aace24

Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:02 pm

Schedule changes are the worst.

AA changed my flights to SFO about a month ago, and moved my departure time up by about 2 hours. Instead of departing at 12:25 PM, I'll now depart at 10:15 AM.

It's very annoying but a part of travel nowadays.

I had to re-choose my seats because the aircraft changed from a MD-82 to a 738.

dl767captain
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:03 pm

Quoting AAce24 (Reply 23):
AA changed my flights to SFO about a month ago, and moved my departure time up by about 2 hours. Instead of departing at 12:25 PM, I'll now depart at 10:15 AM.

Ya that is pretty bad, except with delta you can usually get out of that $100 change fee and move your flight around, something that actually helped me once before.

aace24

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:44 pm

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 24):
Ya that is pretty bad, except with delta you can usually get out of that $100 change fee and move your flight around, something that actually helped me once before.

Yeah, I think I could get out of the fee, but there isn't any attractive times, so I just took the 10:15.

It's still very annoying though.