Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Lufthansa
Topic Author

DL 77L LAX-SYD Onboard Product.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:42 pm

Okay,

So we've seen DL desperate to join the now crowded south Pacific routes and we've had about a week of operations so far.

I've been watching the prices and for the Australian based pax who is connecting to the east coast, DL is the most aggressive, followed 2nd by united, coming in hundreds of dollars cheaper then Qantas or V Australia for those wanting to go to say JFK or Boston.

Now while this is bad for Delta and UA in terms of if those seats are given away as incentives for chosing them on transpacific, they can't be sold to other paying pax... it is of course a win for the consumer. Which has got me thinking 2 things

(1) WHAT IS THE SOFT PRODUCT OFFERED EXACTLY in economy.
Not the hard product. We all know about avod and leather seats.
What I'm taking about is for example, we know that DL recently stepped up their offering and will be offering unlimted beer and wine on this route. Very good move for Australians... it may not be so important to Americans but Aussies are very relaxed in do like to partake in that, and nobody considers them alcoholics for doing so.

So... I'm taking these sorts of things. How many meals will they offer? What type? Any snacks? Will they offer Amenity kits? Hot towels? Toothbrushes in the toilets? (I know...this is an SIA thing basically) What exactly will we see on 77L long haul flights?

(2) I am seriously considering taking this flight so I can speak with some knowledge. QF/NZ have historically got my business here... followed by UA (mostly due to needing to connect to UA cities). V Aust is to new too comment... but I do think it's important to speak with first hand knowledge. So if i do this folks...what can I expect?

note to mods. Please do not shift this thread to polls and preferences. Im not asking people what they prefer or if I should fly DL at all...I'm asking for factual info on their Particularly SYD-LAX service only.

Carfield

RE: DL 77L LAX-SYD Onboard Product.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:49 pm

Delta has actually been offering complimentary beer and wine service in economy class on all transpacific and transatlantic flights since earlier this year.

There will be two hot meal services (typically on all long haul DL/NW flights) and then a mid-flight snack service.

Definitely no amenity kit! Not sure about hot towels, but I am sure someone else can answer you here!

Carfield

Alitalia744

Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:53 pm

Quoting Lufthansa (Thread starter):
(1) WHAT IS THE SOFT PRODUCT OFFERED EXACTLY in economy.
Not the hard product. We all know about avod and leather seats.
What I'm taking about is for example, we know that DL recently stepped up their offering and will be offering unlimted beer and wine on this route. Very good move for Australians... it may not be so important to Americans but Aussies are very relaxed in do like to partake in that, and nobody considers them alcoholics for doing so.

So... I'm taking these sorts of things. How many meals will they offer? What type? Any snacks? Will they offer Amenity kits? Hot towels? Toothbrushes in the toilets? (I know...this is an SIA thing basically) What exactly will we see on 77L long haul flights?

-Three choices for dinner (Pasta, Chicken or Beef) in Y. Midflight sandwich/fruit platter, and pre-arrival breakfast.
-All Delta international flights have all you can drink complimentary wine/beer.
-Mixed drinks/cocktails are $7/per drink.

There's mixed thinking on whether the small amenity kit "For the Long-Haul" will return or not. When they had them they included earplugs, eyeshade, toothbrush and a small lotion.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

Av8rDAL

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:13 pm

If DL wanted to differentiate themselves from the crowd, they'd offer a local Australian beer taken on as a part of the catering before departing back to the U.S. I can't see Aussies being too satisfied with the bilgewater called Miller Lite.

What about Victoria Bitter? I don't know if that's what Sydneysiders drink the most, but it surely can't be Foster's.
Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

VirginFlyer

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Quoting Av8rDAL (Reply 3):
I can't see Aussies being too satisfied with the bilgewater called Miller Lite.

What about Victoria Bitter? I don't know if that's what Sydneysiders drink the most, but it surely can't be Foster's.

Hear hear! Toohey's New is probably the mass market beer most associated with Sydney, although VB and Carlton Draught are also very popular. XXXX would probably not be such a good choice for the Sydney market  Wink

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

panamair

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:07 pm

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 2):
Three choices for dinner (Pasta, Chicken or Beef) in Y

Which is a step up from their traditional transoceanic Y meal choices (only 2 - pasta or chicken).

There's mixed thinking on whether the small amenity kit "For the Long-Haul" will return or not. When they had them they included earplugs, eyeshade, toothbrush and a small lotion.

Even though the actual amenity kit is gone in Y, they still offer earplugs and eyeshades (both of which are distributed at the same time as the earbuds/headsets) to all Y pax on transoceanic trips...

thestooges

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:48 pm

DL recently stepped up their offering and will be offering unlimted beer and wine on this route. Very good move for Australians... it may not be so important to Americans but Aussies are very relaxed in do like to partake in that, and nobody considers them alcoholics for doing so.

I don't know about anyone else, but I definitely consider Australians alcoholics for doing so  

I can't see Aussies being too satisfied with the bilgewater called Miller Lite.

It looks like the main beer that DL serves is Heineken, which is a Dutch beer and neither American nor Australian. In my experience having lived in the US, Australia and Europe I find American and Australian beers usually intolerable and will settle for a European beer anyday. Heineken definitely isn't one of my favourite beers but I will always prefer it over VB, Tooheys New, Millers or Budweiser.

I'm making a very large assumption but I would assume that most Australians also see European beers as being of a higher quality than their local brands and that they would have no problem drinking Heineken on their way to the States. I also would think that when someone is going on holiday outside of their own country, that they wouldn't want to drink the same brand that they do at their local pub. Just as long as its not an American beer, as there would be riots on the plane if they were only offering Bud or Miller to Australians, which they affectionately refer to as "dishwater" !!!

Sydneysiders mainly drink both VB and Tooheys New, but beer preferences change quite drastically from state to state in Australia, with XXXX being the biggest in Queensland (yet no one touches it outside of the state) and Melbourne Bitter is one of the biggest in Victoria for example.

Fosters used to be a relatively popular premium beer in Australia in the 70's but when they tried to market it as a more mainstream beer brand called Fosters Draught, which wasn't very succesful, they destroyed the premium image of the brand and it never did very well after that.

Fosters is however quite popular overseas, especially in the UK, and I must admit, oddly enough, its one of my favourite beers now that I live there. Although I would barely call it a true Australian beer, as I see it as more of a British brand as that's where its mainly consumed.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what's the main beer that the other airlines serve on the LAX-SYD route such as UA, QF and VA ???

[Edited 2009-07-07 08:59:28]
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition !!

sw733

Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Quoting Thestooges (Reply 6):
Melbourne Bitter is one of the biggest in Victoria for example

Me thinks you got your word order screwed up there, partner  Wink

thestooges

Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:22 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 7):
Me thinks you got your word order screwed up there, partner

Sorry, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not !?!?

If you aren't being sarcastic then . . . Victoria Bitter and Melbourne Bitter are two different types of beer. Victoria Bitter is one of the most popular beers in both the states of Victoria (which Melbourne is the capital of) and New South Wales (which Sydney is the capital of) whereas Melbourne Bitter is also one of the most popular beers in Victoria but not in New South Wales.

[Edited 2009-07-07 09:24:56]

ABQ747

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:29 pm

Quoting VirginFlyer (Reply 4):
XXXX would probably not be such a good choice for the Sydney market

XXXX Gold tastes like carbonated water.  yuck 

tommy767

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:38 pm

No need for DL to serve a premium Australian beer. Keep in mind that DL serves "Lienie's Sunset Wheat" on all flights. Its a high quality beer that goes for 8-10 dollars for a six pack at a grocery store that is almost 6% alcohol content. Whenever I get upgraded it's my go to pre-departure drink.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Luftfahrer

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:48 pm

IMO they should serve German beer which is the best beer in the world Big grin
Ok, I think I'm a little bit biased here  Wink

On my last two transatlantic flights on DL in April I can only remember that the obligatory Miller lite and some other beer (sorry, forgot the name...) that not even the FA knew was served. It was also like just one can per passenger. They didn't serve Heineken however, though I'm not sure about westbound leg.
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

panamair

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 11):
It was also like just one can per passenger.

Back in April, it was still under the old policy of only one complimentary beer or wine with the main meal. Since June 1, they have implemented a new policy - unlimited complimentary beer and wine on all international flights over 6 hours; cocktails, spiritis, and liquors however are still US$7 or EUR 5 or 6.

laca773

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:05 pm

Quoting Carfield (Reply 1):
Definitely no amenity kit! Not sure about hot towels, but I am sure someone else can answer you here!

I hope they bring this back in Y. It's a nice product differentation. Their amentities kits in J are miles ahead of UA's.

Have they offered upgraded meal options other than having three entree choices? DL used to serve some of the best food around (aside from AS).

calpsafltskeds

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:24 pm

Quoting Carfield (Reply 1):
There will be two hot meal services (typically on all long haul DL/NW flights) and then a mid-flight snack service.

I wonder how many people take the mid-flight Snack? On the southbound flight, the flight leaves at 10:35pm local and arrives at 6:35am. I can see the dinner and breakfast, but are people really awake for a snack?
On the northbound, it looks like nightfall would take place about halfway to LAX, meaning a third service makes sense.

ikramerica

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:42 pm

Quoting CALPSAFltSkeds (Reply 14):
I wonder how many people take the mid-flight Snack? On the southbound flight, the flight leaves at 10:35pm local and arrives at 6:35am. I can see the dinner and breakfast, but are people really awake for a snack?

Sure. The midflight snack is actually going to be around breakfast time for anyone living in California. Many people are very hungry at this time, and need something to eat.

It's a 14 hour flight. Nobody is going to sleep 14 hours just because it's dark the whole time.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ozglobal

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:43 pm

They have the same J seating as Virgin Atlantic, NZ and AC. How does J inflight service compare with QF and UA on the same route. Anyone know?
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

ikramerica

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:02 am

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 16):
How does J inflight service compare with QF and UA on the same route. Anyone know?

Both are moving to a completely flat product, though not in a wishbone like VS, NZ or AC. It's side by side full flat, as is Virgin Australia.

DocLightning

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:20 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 15):

It's a 14 hour flight. Nobody is going to sleep 14 hours just because it's dark the whole time.

I slept 10! Then again, I had a couple of Ambien to help that out... It's really the only way to do that flight. Just a bit of general anesthesia. And the best part is that you get there and you don't feel like crap. You need a shower and fresh clothes, but you have plenty of energy for the day!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

fanoftristars

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:32 am

I took QF on this route last year. I think all we were served was dinner, a small snack bag, and then breakfast upon landing. I think it was the same on the way home. Far from a sandwich .
"FLY DELTA JETS"

uaord2000

Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:35 am

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what's the main beer that the other airlines serve on the LAX-SYD route such as UA, QF and VA ???

United serves Miller lite, Hein, MGD and VB (OZ flights only).

N104UA

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:52 am

That is basically only what is in the C kit on UA

I know UA serves VB on the SYD-LAX flights

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 11):
IMO they should serve German beer which is the best beer in the world Big grin
Ok, I think I'm a little bit biased here Wink

thumbsup   thumbsup   thumbsup 
You are right German Bier is the best, well I am probably biased here also
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

ikramerica

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:57 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 18):
I slept 10! Then again, I had a couple of Ambien to help that out...

Not everyone takes drugs.  Wink

For those who aren't into that, they'll get 5-7 hours of sleep after dinner and wake up hungry, and a snack is nice to tide them over for a few hours before the pre-landing meal.

flyibaby

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:08 am

Quoting N104UA (Reply 21):
That is basically only what is in the C kit on UA

I flew Business last year on DL internationally, and the amenity kit was a nice addition. Again, this was in Business, but it offered a pair of red socks with the non-slip on the bottom, the eyeshade, earplugs (although they could provide better ones to conform to your ear and are a little softer,) Crest toothpaste, toothbrush, Scope mouthwash, lip balm, an ink pen, tissues, and hand cream. The bags they use to hold the kits are really nice and make a good travel tolietry bag for an overnight trip somewhere.

fxramper

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:24 am

I'm asking for factual info on their Particularly SYD-LAX service only.

V Aust is to new too comment...

You said yourself that DL has operated this 7 days now?  confused 

The hundred(s) savings for DL won't last long. If your traveling from SYD to ATL and are too tired from the 4 lunesta to make a connection from QF to AA or NZ to UA use DL.

I'm failing to see what DL is offering hard or soft on this already populated route.

Zkpilot

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:39 am

Well if DL is charging for spirits then that won't go down well with Aussies.
Qantas has all drinks complimentary. They tend to have Heineken, VB, James Squire, and Hahn Lager onboard for the beers. QF also has 2 reds, 2 whites and a sparkling wine onboard and several varieties of spirits.
2 meals services, Snack on Q (Snack Bag) with a hotchocolate/chamomille or peppermint tea service, fruit on demand, pretzels on demand. QF also has a hot towel service.
The QF amentity packs have eyeshades, socks, toothbrush and paste, a lanyard that attaches to the amentity pack also. The one thing they could do to improve it would be to add earplugs. Earplugs are however available on request subject to availability.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

Lufthansa
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:46 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 25):
he QF amentity packs have eyeshades, socks, toothbrush and paste, a lanyard that attaches to the amentity pack also. The one thing they could do to improve it would be to add earplugs. Earplugs are however available on request subject to availability.

I don't think any sane person is question if Qantas is better then Delta in terms of inflight offering... I think we all know the answer to that one. The real advantage is if DL become willing to basically let you fly to the east coast for next to nothing... thus giving hundreds of dollars price advantage over the others. Now I highly doubt this can be sustained. And if DL is a similar price WITH the connections included...then it is absolutely worth the hassle of possibly having to change airlines and take Qantas all the way.

BUT... if Qantas comes in say $400+ or more...that starts to change the equation. Great of the customer but it can't possibly be that great for Delta. Perhaps they're trying to get the regulars to sign up to skymiles?

tayser

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:52 am

VB Tooheys XXXX Budweiser Miller god what a load of shite... mainstream rubbish.

The US and Australia have some absolutely superb micro breweries which probably have the capacity to brew batches for flights such as this - Qantas have the one up on everyone here - they serve James Squire Golden Ale in international economy (although you'd hardly call it "micro" anymore than it's Lion Nathan nevertheless it's giant step in the right direction IMO).

NZ likewise has some sensational micro beers but Air NZ gives them all the snub and instead decides to force feed its passengers with Lion Nathan junk...

Holgate Mt. Macedon Ale (VIC), Barons Pale Ale (NSW), Rogue's Kells Irish Lager (OR) and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (CA) are all perfect candidates for US-AUS flights.

Zkpilot

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:06 pm

Quoting Tayser (Reply 27):

Holgate Mt. Macedon Ale (VIC), Barons Pale Ale (NSW), Rogue's Kells Irish Lager (OR) and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (CA) are all perfect candidates for US-AUS flights.

Whilst I'm sure that these are all nice beers, most people out there prefer lager these days to Ales or Bitter beer, but yes airlines should have a least a few of them onboard to provide to a variety of tastes.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

runway23

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:26 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 22):
For those who aren't into that, they'll get 5-7 hours of sleep after dinner and wake up hungry, and a snack is nice to tide them over for a few hours before the pre-landing meal.

When I flew down on UA I slept 11 hours. Most people will sleep although I'm sure the average will be around 8 hours.

sw733

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Quoting Thestooges (Reply 8):
If you aren't being sarcastic then . . . Victoria Bitter and Melbourne Bitter are two different types of beer.

Ah, I didn't know that, sorry! I have only ever heard of VB (and didn't like it, to be honest)...but I am going to MEL the week after next so I will have to find this Melbourne Bitter you speak of  Smile

thestooges

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:51 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 30):
I have only ever heard of VB (and didn't like it, to be honest)...

Don't worry, I really don't like VB either !!!

Quoting SW733 (Reply 30):
I am going to MEL the week after next so I will have to find this Melbourne Bitter you speak of

It should be pretty easy to find Melbourne Bitter in Melbourne, as I assume that most bars would probably have it on tap.