Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

max550
Topic Author

Best J Class To India?

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Who do you think has the best J class product to India?
My options are VS/ 9W, CO, AI, UA/LH, DL or SQ but that one's a lot longer so I'm leaning towards the others. I might be missing some, I need to go from DC or NYC but I don't mind connecting somewhere else like ATL if I have to.

[Edited 2009-08-07 08:14:19]

slinky09

RE: Best J Class To India?

Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:09 pm

You didn't include EK via DXB ... or KLM via AMS and indeed LH via FRA or indeed BA ... etc.

Where in India are you going? If DEL then CO fly direct from EWR for example ...

Depending on what's most important for you (long flight, let's assume seat / bed / entertainment / dining) I'd suggest 9W or Jet. Their J product is very spacious (probably the most spacious of these options), modern 777s with good AVOD and room to relax, eat well or work. I was very surprised at how good it compared when I first flew 9W to India.

If EK were still flying the A380 from JFK-DXB I'd suggest that in a shot ...

eric

Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:29 pm

Quoting Slinky09 (Reply 1):
9W or Jet

they are the same.

Quoting Slinky09 (Reply 1):
LH via FRA

he did, but as a UA/LH combo.

When are you going? Depending on that, I'd suggest LX, which by then will have their new C product on both the JFK-ZRH and ZRH-DEL segments. Arguably one of the finest C products in Europe. Although I have never tried 9W, they do get rave reviews. The AI direct product from NYC doesnt look too bad either based on recent TR's.

If you are going by yourself, the VS product is pretty good although the return timing of the VS flight is pretty bad.
n

jetblue777

Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:19 pm

Well, AI has great seats. But if you dont mind connecting in LHR, you should go with BA. If possible stay away from CO since they have an old-style J seat. It really depends on you wether you want to fly the shortest or you are okay with connections, IMO pick the longest flight since your flying on J class  Smile
It's a cultural thing.

max550
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:34 pm

Been away for a couple of days, thanks for all the responses.
I'm going to BOM. It will be in mid-September, although it may be pushed back to late September.
Most important thing is probably space (seat size/bed) first, entertainment and food second. As of now I'm leaning towards VS/9W but until I know the exact dates it's still a little up in the air.

Has anyone done the SQ EWR-SIN? I'm seriously considering that one so I can get Star Alliance credit for it (I usually use UA), and because I've only gotten to use SQ once before, but it's so long I'm a little hesitant to go for it.

ojas

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Qatar Airways? Is that an option for you? They fly out of IAD,JFK,IAH non stop.
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

OP3000

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Quoting Max550 (Reply 4):

Has anyone done the SQ EWR-SIN? I'm seriously considering that one so I can get Star Alliance credit for it (I usually use UA), and because I've only gotten to use SQ once before, but it's so long I'm a little hesitant to go for it.

To me it depends if you can sleep on planes significatly or not. If not then an 18-hour flight plus a connection afterwards would not be the best travel experience, even if its on SQ which has a great business class product.

The 9W product is great in terms of the cabin, and the long-haul service is up to par with EK and SQ. And you can earn/redeem UA miles on them.

MHTripple7

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:33 am

Quoting Max550 (Thread starter):
Who do you think has the best J class product to India?
My options are VS/ 9W, CO, AI, UA/LH, DL or SQ but that one's a lot longer so I'm leaning towards the others. I might be missing some, I need to go from DC or NYC but I don't mind connecting somewhere else like ATL if I have to.

Well I took the AI nonstop flight in J from JFK to DEL back in Dec and I really enjoyed the experience. The seats are nearly fully flat with TONS of legroom. The IFE is pretty good and the food was great. Also, the mood lighting was very nice. Another benefit is that this flight is nonstop and you don't have to worry about missing a connection anywhere. If I ever find myself going to India again, I will go out of my way to make sure I am on one of the AI nonstops.

EIDAA

Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:50 am

My suggestion would be to go with BA through LHR. I have been to India twice in the last year and flew with BA on both trips, (LHR - DEL - LHR and LHR - BLR :: BOM - LHR).

On my trip in June/July this year, BA was offering one way upgrades based on the fare purchased. As I was flying in Club, my outbound leg to BLR was upgraded to First and that was very comfortable indeed. I'm not sure if the offer is still available, but certainly something to look out for if you are booking full fare J class.

If you can organise it so you connect to the 11am BAW139 to BOM, that should be the B744 service rather than the evening B772, so a little more space and comfort on offer in Club.
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

fxramper

Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:52 pm

CO is best, but my Dad uses AA (SNA-ORD-DEL). Compare these two prices.  dollarsign 

Qantasistheway

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Personally I can recommend BA as a solid bet. LX with their new business class as posted above looks good aswell. Otherwise 9W looks great from what I have seen. Basically I would avoid an American carrier and try something new unless you are on a Frequent Flyer programe. VS also gets good reviews and if you are transiting in LHR, then you get to use the Clubhouse which I have experienced and is totally amazing!
For the long way round, take the EWR-SIN flight and then go on to your Indian destination.

Let us know what you decide!

Cheers!

MHTripple7

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:50 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 9):
CO is best,

That's interesting, CO doesn't even have flat seats in J so I would say that alone puts them far behind their competition. Max550, here are some pics I took on board the AI 77L earlier this year:

T8KE0FF

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:46 pm

I would vote for EY even though not included in your list. I flew Business class on LHR-AUH-SYD and was very impressed.
RJ85 E145 E195 A319 A320 A321 A330 A340 A380 B737 B747 B757 B767 B777 B787 DH4 AT72