Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Springbok747
Topic Author

Help! An Issue With Tiger Airways

Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 pm

So a couple of months ago I booked a flight on Tiger as I got a great deal. I booked the Tuesday morning flight (09:50am) out to SYD. Everything was great till this morning when I received an email saying my outbound flight has changed to a 5:45pm flight the NEXT day!! I really need to be in SYD by Tuesday afternoon and now this. The reason given in the email was “Due to the increased demand for other Tiger Airways destinations, we had to make some changes to our flight schedule. As a result, the departure time of your Tiger Airways flight between Adelaide and Sydney has changed.”

I mean really?! Can they even do this? This is just ridiculous! Anyone know why the flight schedules have changed? I immediately called their office, and after being on hold for almost 1/2 an hour, a rude call-centre employee answered the phone and said they can't do anything if the flight schedules are changed. And get this - I can't get a refund or anything because those were not the terms of the sale fare! So I will lose the fare if I don't go (not that it was much anyway)...but now I have to make another booking with QF or DJ to get me to SYD on time.

Tiger seem to be pushing for more market share with all the marketing and their publicized low fares and even a TV program. But soon enough, people will start to understand the actual cost of those low fares because it shows they don't give a damn about their customers.
Any ideas how I can resolve this? Can I claim compensation for re-booking on another airline? Just asking as I don't know how this works. Thanks in advance.
אני תומך בישראל

Gemuser

RE: Help! An Issue With Tiger Airways

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:19 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Thread starter):
a rude call-centre employee answered the phone and said they can't do anything if the flight schedules are changed.

Get on to SA Consumer Affairs immediately! I strongly doubt that this is legal in any Oz state, it's not in NSW. It is fairly typical of many companies to try to bully their way out of the CA requirements, don't let them!

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

jbernie

RE: Help! An Issue With Tiger Airways

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:26 pm

I get the feeling your first action is to get booked on a QF, JQ or DJ flight so you can be where you need when you need even if at a more expensive ticket.
- Then you are most likely to write off flying with Tiger ever again... unless you have already done that?
- Third action would be to read all the fine print associated with your purchase with a clear mind to see how correct they are.
- Fourth is to contact your Consumer Affairs office and discuss with them. They sold you one thing and are providing you with something else, if the alternate flight was the same day I would be more generous to Tiger (delays do happen anyway) but the next day.. next evening.. is something else.

As to can they? Well they just did. I think you meant to ask "should they?". From the point of view of the consumer, no they shouldn't, you got a raw deal, throws all plans out the window etc etc. I believe you are probably in a position where they can do it, probably have the correct wording in the documentation provided, but knowing how these things work, if consumer affairs fails, contact Today Tonight or A Current Affair if they are both on the air and you might get a refund from Tiger to shut you up as they are looking pretty bad. They can make the perfect peach smell like sewerage to make the ratings.

Personally, I'm a QF flyer, JQ if the price/time is right and DJ is a good airline to deal with but I want my FF points  Smile. I would probably only book Tiger a day or two out and only if the price was that much better, I am yet to feel comfortable with them.