Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

swa4life
Topic Author

How Many Ramp Agents Do We Have Here?

Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm often curious what various other airline's ramp agents are payed, which airline's have unionized ramp and which don't, and what type of benefits are offered. I've tried seeking this information out on the internet and it's been incredibly difficult. It seems almost as if this information is a guarded secret or something.

Those of you who don't mind sharing, could you please tell us which airline you work for, whether or not you're union (if so, what union and local), your pay (and scale), and what kind of benefits you receive (retirement, medical, flight)?

Southwest Airlines
$10.28 - $25.97 in 11 steps.
Union TWU 555
401k with dollar for dollar match 8.3%, profit sharing, PPO medical, free unlimited nonrev flight, ZED pass agreements with most carriers.

swa4life
Topic Author

RE: How Many Ramp Agents Do We Have Here?

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:55 am

I know for a fact that we have some rampers on here..

aviateur

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:28 am

I don't know how may rampers we've got, but...

it always amazes me how professional the ground workers are at airports outside the United States, even, if not especially, in poor countries. They are often neatly uniformed, and in some cities will stand in formation as the airplane pulls in. From the baggage handlers to the caterers to the fuelers, they're friendly, prompt and professional. Heck, in Japan, it's traditional for the workers, clad in jumpsuits and hard-hats, to *bow* to departing flights. https://www.airliners.net/photo/Japan...rlines--/Boeing-747-346/1248555/L/

And the equipment used a foreign airports -- the carts and tugs and cargo loaders – also tends to be in much better condition than our own.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of hardworking staff in airports across America, but all too often the typical gateside scene is one of rusted-out, banged-up vehicles and scowling workers in Yankees caps and greasy untucked shirts, who act as though they can't be bothered to marshall in your plane.

PS

[Edited 2009-08-22 18:30:45]
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

CalebWilliams

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:58 am

I'm not one personally, but my brother works for Menzies here at MSP (services SY and FI) and makes USD $10/hour. Lead pay is $11/hour and I believe supervisor is $13/hour.

Non-union and I have no idea if there are any benes other than $30 flights during the non-peak season.
Caleb Williams MSP AUS STL AMS CPH LGW YYZ

swa4life
Topic Author

Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:00 am

I would love for things to be that way in the United States as well. I for one take great pride in my work and the job that I do. I would not mind one bit being held to a much higher standard. Basically, we're not REQUIRED to stand attention upon the departure of a flight therefore we don't. As a matter of fact, if we tried to reenact the scene in that photograph we'd probably have 4 managers outside wondering why 5 agents have nothing better to do, and with good reason because the way we operate we don't have a man to spare at any given time.

As for equipment, I agree with that as well. Our equipment is not pretty, and it breaks down quite a bit. On the other hand we operate a very vigorous operation and the wear and tear on the equipment reflects that. I often look across to the other concourse at MDW airport where Frontier operates and admire their sparkling new equipment, I also admire the 1 flight they work every 3 hours, as opposed to my 3.

Back to the main point,.. Why are things different in Japan? Because costs are different in Japan. A whole completely different economic structure. Lifestyle standards are different as well.

contrails15

Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:27 am

I'm a ramp agent for B6 for 7 yrs now. starting pay is 10.50. Ramp Agents used to be a job people respected, now we just have each other. Back in the Pan Am and TWA days my uncle and cousin worked for TWA and made a very goodl living at it. Now, well lets just say I'm glad I have a job but I love what I do. You can see many people on this site [email protected] on us all the time but like I say, its not magic that gets your bag on the plane. Pride is taking at my job and many other ramps. You can see all the my bag was damaged or something was taken out of my bag threads all the time here and all ramp agents get the blame for it. You gotta want to do this job at least a little bit cuz it freakin sux if you just do it as a job.

Example

SEA turning STI one of my fav flights to do. A320 you got 145 bags plus 3200 lbs of cargo (fish and crab) coming in and your upload to STI is 235 bags with 45 gate check BAGS with 6 strollers and one electric wheelchair and you have 50 mins to turn it 4 guys are working the flight THATS WITH THE LEAD. Oh yeah, its 92 degrees and the humidity is bout 85%.

Like I said I love what I do and a lot of the people i work with are my friends so going to work is great but take it easy on us, we might not be flying the plane but its not going anywhere without us.
Giants football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cle757

Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:44 am

Quoting Contrails15 (Reply 5):
SEA turning STI one of my fav flights to do. A320 you got 145 bags plus 3200 lbs of cargo (fish and crab) coming in and your upload to STI is 235 bags with 45 gate check BAGS with 6 strollers and one electric wheelchair and you have 50 mins to turn it 4 guys are working the flight THATS WITH THE LEAD. Oh yeah, its 92 degrees and the humidity is bout 85%

I think 45 gate check bags is a litte bite of a exaggeration dont you? and 235 checked? for an A320?
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

PWMRamper

Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:53 am

I'm a PSA for ZW, doing ground handling for United Express in PWM.

I do ramp, check-in counter, gate, etc.

Starting pay is $9.03/hour.

We USED to have USAirways unlimited Flight Benefits, but that went by the wayside, so now we JUST have ZED fares. It's absolutely awful that they took our flight benefits away...that's a main selling point to get people to work for the airline industry.

swa4life
Topic Author

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:30 am

I wasn't really trying to make this into a thread about ramp agent's trying to defend their jobs. I don't even really understand WHY things tend to go in this direction with the mere mentioning of the word "ramp". Why do people feel like they need to disrespect ramp agents? What is it about the hard working under paid guy loading your luggage that pisses everyone off so much? We're out getting rained on, snowed on, baking in the heat, freezing in the cold, doing everything to prepare your flight for departure. Do you know what it's like to lift literally 1,000 bags a day? And here you are, flipping switches and making snide comments about how the guy marshaling your plane in looks fatigued, or the guy standing next to him doesn't have his shirt tucked in? Get a clue..

So now that that's out of the way..

I was really trying to make this topic about ramp agents and their backgrounds, pay, and benefits. Maybe a little friendly conversation with one another mixed in.

To the JetBlue guy, you mentioned that starting pay is $10.50, but what's the scale after that? I know that B6 ramp is not union so do you guy's just basically have a review every year and discuss raises that way? I'm not really sure how it all works with different airlines. I had only one other airline job before this one but it was garbage.

platinumfoota

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:30 am

I WAS a ramp agent for UA at LAX, laid off close to a year now, my starting pay was $9.71 sure it has gone up now. Lead pay was close to $22. IAM union, free HMO, optional vision and dental. Its true about UA management, but employees treated each other like family even if we didn't work in the same department or city. Thanks to all those Mechanics, Customer Service Agents, and Flight Crews for all the great times!! Pilots specially for having those great conversations during delayed push backs.
Never forget United 93

sunking737

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:32 am

I used to work for ASIG in MSP. they are IAM. They used to do SY ramp. They lost the contract because of poor ramp performance, Not just once but at lest 3 x. They have used ATS before too. SY brought in their own groomers as the quality of cleaning never meet SY standards. IIRC pay was $ 9-10.

More than once SY had a plane taxi up to the gate, NO ASIG crew. SY Ramp Manager would grab those of us who knew what to do ramp side and we would park the plane, and chock it. First time it happened ASIG almost crapped themselves. Their station manager called our station manager to give him piece of his mind, Didn't work SY Ramp Manager had his boss on speed dial and was on phone 10 sec after plane was parked. I was the only caterer who could also work the ramp. I used my job with ASIG to get to know SY people to get my job with them.  bigthumbsup 
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

swa4life
Topic Author

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:37 am

To the Air Wisconsin guy,

So you guy's don't get any free flight at all? I always assumed you guys got United privileges. What about even on Air Wis flights?

That's madness if you guys can't even fly on yourselves for free.

I contemplated taking a job with Air Wisconsin at ORD briefly when I was between jobs after my last airline job folded.

cotparampguy

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:53 am

DGS doing ramp for CO and F9 at TPA.

Ramp agents make 8 starting out. I am a Lead now making 10.

There's 401k, medical and flight benefits but they aren't very good. You take what you can get I guess.

brandonfs88

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:57 am

Quoting Swa4life (Reply 11):
So you guy's don't get any free flight at all? I always assumed you guys got United privileges. What about even on Air Wis flights?

That's madness if you guys can't even fly on yourselves for free.

I contemplated taking a job with Air Wisconsin at ORD briefly when I was between jobs after my last airline job folded.

We had the US Airways benefits because Air Wiskey flew as "US Airways Express", IIRC it was end of last year/beginning of this year US changed the policy about who gets the flying benefits.

Bascially it came down to if your involved with the flying of ZW or not.

If your a pilot/Mx/dispatcher/ F/A...etc you still get the free travel on US

If your a PSA ground handling UA flights somewhere, you just get the ZED fare deals through ZW pass bureau.

So we couldnt even ride on an ZW plane for free, we would have to buy a ZED fare and be put on the bottom of the wait list too.

FlyDeltaJets

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:17 am

Quoting CLE757 (Reply 6):
I think 45 gate check bags is a litte bite of a exaggeration dont you? and 235 checked? for an A320?

That sounds about right for DR. The checked baggage count sounds good too.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

PWMRamper

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:21 am

Quoting Brandonfs88 (Reply 13):

Bingo, we're a 9A seating priority on our own planes!

They took them away February 1st of this year. Claimed they lost too much revenue...even though they probably made money off of us paying for the travel benefits.

Quoting Swa4life (Reply 11):

And as far as United benefits go, when we stopped flying for United Express, we lost the United flight benefits, even though we basically work for them. And up until recently, we didn't even get a ZED on them, we had to go the ID95 route, which is a ripoff, in my opinion.

But hey, I guess I shouldn't complain, ZEDs are better than nothing...and had I started at the job after the flight benefits were cut, I wouldn't care so much. But I miss waking up and booking a flight that left in 3 hours. The pass bureau takes like 3 weeks.

[Edited 2009-08-23 00:24:25]

canoecarrier

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:34 am

For comparison, when I started working GA ramp at 15 in Missouri back in 1988 I got paid $4.75 an hour. That was minimum wage at the time. I kept that job through high school and college finally making around $8.00 an hour. I did everything commercial airline ramps do from loading cargo on 727 charters, throwing bags on football, rock band, VIP charters, and towing everything from a C-150 to an F-14. What we did do that most commercial ramps don't is hanger aircraft. Up to 30 GA planes in one hanger. The guy with the C-182 in the back of the hanger that never flew was always the one to call up and want his plane at 30 min to closing time.

Back on topic. When I moved to SEA I worked for Swissport a few months before going CSA with an airline. The going wage was around $8.00/hour if I remember right. At the time I got no health benefits, had crap hours (4 on, 4 hours off, then back on shift for 4 more hours). We worked British, SAS, Asiana, and World at the time.

It's too bad. There is a lot of good people below the wing. The job they do is as important as flying the plan IMHO since they service the lav, make sure bags are sorted right, and push the traveling public back from the gate. Oh, and the bag count sounds right. The gate check might be high, but I'm guessing people are starting to smuggle as much as they can to the gate to avoid paying bag fees now.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

fxra

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:34 am

I was a ramp agent years ago at FedEx. I left in June of 02, but...

HIred on in 95 as a "handler" to load cans and occasionally get out and work a plane. started at $7.19/hr. Big money for me then. Then a couple years later they made us all "Equipment Operators," doing the same jobs just a little more money, I want to say around $10/hr.

SHortly after that, moved up to "Ramp Agent", which at FedEx has a different connotation than most pax carriers. Ramp Agents were more like a supervisor job and also responsible for weight and blance and load planning. Started around $13/hr and when I left think top out was around $23/hr (varies by market). Raises were based on performance reviews, the highest possible being 7% annually.

I left in 02 to go play dispatcher, still doing that now. I sometimes miss working hands on with the planes, I had a lot of fun on the ramp.
Visualize Whirled Peas

Fabo

Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:22 am

I work seasonal in handling at Kosice airport now. Since we are a small airport, but with BIG chunk of charter ops + add regulars leaving for holidays, seasonals are needed for operation in summer. Me myself work 15 June to 15 Sept. as specified in contract. Money is not that big, 2.5€/hour, but it is over stadart for seasons jobbing in the locality. Of course we do not do everything regulars do, for ex. we (at pax handling, there is more seasonals on baggage loading etc.) dont do check-in as opposed to regulars - as it would be uneconomical to train us for three months.

Now the regulars, I can not tolk for "mechs" and "loaders" as we call them - those would do what you here mean by ramp agent, but pax hangling guys and gals - everyone does check-in and gate agenting, also we operate lounge - would get about 5€ per hour, after deductions, what makes for decent, above average pay. But since we are all airports employees (airport operator is the sole handling agency available at KSC), we do not have industry benefits.
The light at the end of tunnel turned out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

Sancho99504

Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:59 am

When I was at UA in ANC, the 2 flights to ORD had on average 300 bags and 25-30 gate checks, but roughly 5000lbs cargo and about 3000lbs of mail on it as well, we sometimes got a 762 to come in and clean up the mess. The A319 to DEN was a mess. 190 bags and igloo coolers, 2000lbs of fish and no room for anything else.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

skoker

Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:24 pm

Regional Elite Airline Services, which is the spinoff of Comair, Compass, and Mesaba's ground people, are going to start at $8.25/hr with no bennies for 6 months effective the first of the month. That's for both ramp and CSA's.

swa4life
Topic Author

Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Wow, it sounds like the job of "ramp agent" has various meanings from place to place. Sometimes it sounds like you guys are describing a different job entirely.

DLX737200

Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Quoting Skoker (Reply 20):
Regional Elite Airline Services, which is the spinoff of Comair, Compass, and Mesaba's ground people, are going to start at $8.25/hr with no bennies for 6 months effective the first of the month. That's for both ramp and CSA's.

Is that starting in September? So they expect elite services for non-elite pay? That's pathetic.

I started working for Comair @ MCO in June 2006 at $9.00/hr. Comair at that time topped out at I think $14.40 or so, pretty sad.

Benefits made up for it a little bit. Great health insurance, dental, 401K, awesome unlimited flight benefits at the time (S3/S2 abilities on DL mainline, OH, and S3C on everyone else). But you couldn't beat those flight bennies. Now that OH is S3C on mainline, that makes the deal a little less sweet.

When I transferred to OMA, my pay dropped $0.50/hr due to cost of living but I finished my almost 3 years at $10.20/hr. I would've gotten a raise to $10.70 in June but we were let go in April after we lost the bid for our station in the merger bids.

I've been saying since April that I'd go back in a heartbeat, even as a newhire at $8.75/hr, if Comair ever got OMA back, as long as the flight benefits came with. But if this new regional elite deal is starting the first of the month at $8.25 with no benefits for the first 6 months, I say screw that. I loved my job at Comair but not for $8.25 with no benefits.

contrails15

Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:09 pm

think 45 gate check bags is a litte bite of a exaggeration dont you? and 235 checked? for an A320?

Uh, no I'm not. Thats if you get lucky. The most we've had was 62 on a 320 which I thought was exaggeration until my GM brief us on why we took a hit on it the next day. Well upstairs really took hit on it.

Didn't mean to turn this into a defending a ramp agent job topic. It does always seem to turn into that doesn't it. I actually applied with SWA before I got to B6 to work in ISP but had to wait for a slot to open up. Really couldn't wait so went to B6 and they put in the traiing program pretty much right away. WN I believe was starting me out at 8.60 but the pay scale was pretty quick. I do pretty good with B6, I mean I'm not buying that mansion anytime soon but it good pay with a decent medical and dental. You pretty much get a raise on your aniversary date aka hiring date. So ur getting that raise once a year. Thats for everyone, leads and reg. crew. Leads gate paid an extra $1 and hour. You top out at $20 an hour in 10 yrs. The End. LOL but like I said its a good job and your gonna have ur bad apples but thats everywhere, you just do ur thing try and climb the job ladder and going on to better things in the company.

airforceatc944

Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:25 pm

I work at an FBO at TEB. What you guy's call ramp agent's we call line service. The big difference is that the biggest planes we see are DC-9's and on rare occasions a 732. Also we don't handle thousands of pounds of luggage/cargo unless we get the occasional DC-9 for the Detroit sports teams.

Starting pay is $12/hr with a $1 raise after a 3 month probation period. Then you get an annual $1/ year raise, if you have a cdl thats a $2 dollar raise and as far as i know, you don't top out. However from what I'm told, after so many years the annual raise goes from a $1 to .75 to .50 to .25. The medical and dental also kick in after the probation period.

andyinpit

Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:45 pm

I hired on with UA back in 05. Worked RIC, PIT, and IAD. Starting pay was $8.87 and I quit the job July 3rd of this year making $11.65. You do get a couple more cents an hour for differential and such (IE night) and double time on most holidays. The money sucked, but the job was awesome. I especially loved working at IAD. The people there were great and I loved working widebodies. Now I'm working ATC so I'll have a hand in the aviation world until I retire  Smile

rwy04lga

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:31 pm

I'm a current DL ramp agent. 2 of my uncles worked the ramp at TPA.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

contrails15

Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:43 pm

Quoting Rwy04LGA (Reply 26):
I'm a current DL ramp agent. 2 of my uncles worked the ramp at TPA.

your gonna be pretty busy soon.

pwm2txlhopper

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:28 am

Quoting Swa4life (Thread starter):
I'm often curious what various other airline's ramp agents are payed, which airline's have unionized ramp and which don't, and what type of benefits are offered. I've tried seeking this information out on the internet and it's been incredibly difficult. It seems almost as if this information is a guarded secret or something.

I'm not current, but am a former contract ramp agent for Delta at PWM. Perhaps it's a decent job if employed by the airline, but it's not so glamorous if you're contract! We got paid $7.50 per hour, with zero benefits and no vacation or insurance until you'd worked a year. Were required to work 12-14 hour shifts, and had to punch out to go get lunch! Management couldn't have cared less about the employees, the morale was low, workers incompetent without team working skills, and basically were people without an education or even a high school diploma, who would come and go regularly. Turn over was extremely high and I won't even mention some of the things I witnessed, with the exception of a few... One, a co-worker stealing homemade brownies out of a checked bag, eating one, and tossing the rest behind the front seat of the Lav Service truck, where they rode around the ramp for six months! The other, co-workers playing kickball with checked bags in the bag room! Oh, and drinking beers from the galley in first class late at night after work was done and plane were RON. There was also the guy on the night shift who would unlock the fire gate, and drive his car onto the ramp after hours, where he'd proceed to fill the gas tank with the ground equipment pumps before falsifying the fuel logs! One time I also discovered a hydraulic fluid leak in the rear stairs of an MD-88 that appeared to be coming from the tail. Reported it and was told to forget what I saw!

There was also the time we were loading Human Remains on a flight to CVG and the body was dropped off the beltloader while the plane was at the gate and passengers watching. It flipped upside down and you could hear the body shift with a thud, as it hit the pavement!

This stuff all happened within six months and were just a few things I witnessed. Eventually, I'd had enough and went to deliver pizza for Domino's where I'd make $15-20 an hour once tips were averaged in! Even got insurance and vacation there, too!

[Edited 2009-08-28 17:45:33]

Acey559

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:40 am

I work for OH (Regional Elite  ill  ) and after one year I'm making $9.43 an hour. Not too bad for a little help paying the bills while I'm in school. On nice thing I did find out about the new company is that they will offer health and dental insurance to part-timers, which is a perk for those guys and gals. I'm just still happy to have my flight benefits, though.  Wink
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

Airport

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:57 am

I'm really hoping to get a job as a ramper or a gate agent here in BOI. I'd do it just so I could be around the airplanes all day. It sounds like some of you don't entirely enjoy it (and for completely understandable reasons), which to me shows that it all depends on what you're looking for.

I'm simply looking for a job where I could work for the company I grew up around (QX) and have grown to love. My family has strong connections with QX, and I'd like to be a part of it. I guess I can see why some might think it to be a measly job, but to me it's everything that I love doing: driving, walking, exercising out in the sun, being around airplanes, working with great people (I've met some of the rampers and agents here in Boise)...and you even get paid for it plus flight benefits...I get the impression a lot of people look down at rampers but I don't care.. if I was offered the job, I'd absolutely take it in a heartbeat.

oakbwifella

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:58 am

I worked at MSP for a contract company (ATS) servicing YX and FL. My starting pay was around $10/hour, with small raises every 6 months, non-union. If I worked the night closing shift (which I loved to do, especially on cold wintery nights), we did grooming for the RON aircraft. We got space-A flights on FL, which a lot of us used. I actually met my future wife in San Francisco with a space-A ticket I used.

I absolutely loved working on the ramp and interacting with the CSA's for YX (I got plenty of free cookies), and most of the FL flight crews were great to deal with. It was great to chat with pilots during their walk-arounds and joke about how cold it was during a Minnesota winter. It was the best job I ever had, as I loved working with my colleagues and being around planes. I did it part-time, and it was sure better than my full-time job at the time.
Clear for Takeoff RWY 29 contact NORCAL departure

NWAESC

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:24 am

Ramp lead for NWA here....

I love the job itself. Not a fan of a lot of the BS that comes along with it...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

antoniemey

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:34 am

I worked with DGS in BNA for about 9 months back in '04/'05. Started at $7.50/hr, then we got a bump to $8.25 an hour after I'd been there a few weeks. That was a bump in the base pay level, so everyone got a raise. We got medical benefits after 90 days, if I remember right, and flight benefits with DL after either 30 or 90. We could also request passes from the other airlines DGS had contracts with and a couple of others at BNA.

When I started most people worked 4 10-hour days with a few other shifts. When we got the Cabin Service contract for Delta, we went to all of us working 4 10-hour days. I managed to luck out based on someone needing the shift that I'd pulled for classes and then based on seniority (high turnover DOES have a FEW benefits for those that stick around) and got either Sat, Sun, Mon off or Sun, Mon, Tue off the whole time I worked there. I actually only left because I'd been accepted for a position at F9.... that didn't end up turning out so well, and in hindsight, I probably should have gone back to DGS when I washed out at F9.

I'd definitely apply for a ramp job again if I lived near enough to an airport that the commute wouldn't kill me.

-Edited to fix a typo and clarify a point

[Edited 2009-08-28 18:41:30]
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

iad51fl

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:31 am

I wasn't planning to respond to this thread because I figure it will be moved by the mods later...but anyway.

I worked the ramp for XJT and the starting pay was 8.50 with a bump to 9.00 after 6 months. They are non-union but have a "Employee Involvement Team" which used to be a good program but now is filled with wanna be managers and supervisors and nothing really is put out anymore. I think the last official publication was back in 2006.

That being said, XJT management is good to the employees.

Chris

[Edited 2009-08-28 22:10:17]
Enjoying the view of KIAH approach end of 27. 29.980548, -95.271201

PWMRamper

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:38 am

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 28):

...Yep. Sounds like Delta at PWM.

I can't stand DL at PWM. They vanish the second their planes leave...and minus one or two people nobody cares.

pwm2txlhopper

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:41 am

Quoting PWMRamper (Reply 35):
I can't stand DL at PWM. They vanish the second their planes leave...and minus one or two people nobody cares.

No, they go in the crew room out behind the check in counter and watch TV, or go smoke outside and chat up the skycaps. When I was there, we only handled three mainline flights per shift. Comair and ASA weren't there yet, and BEX handled their own flights. So there was a lot of downtime. I think Danny the ramp manager is still there? Maybe Greg Lewis, too? But I'm sure everybody else is long gone? Although, I still meet Northeast Air employees that work there, and they tell me not much has changed?

Delta still had a station there with Delta employed people when I was there. Best not confuse the ramp workers for actual DL employees. They were top notch! I don't think Delta has had any employees at PWM since about 2005 when mainline pulled out. I know they have one mainline flight per day again now, but think Comair or ASA works the station?

[Edited 2009-08-28 23:45:00]

m404

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:44 am

I retired in 2003 at $20.20 an hour after 37 years. Since then the equivalent pay has dropped to 17 something after concessions. At retirement I got 7 weeks a year vacation. Preferred provider medical with $20.00 co-pay at most doctors. 1.6 days earned sick leave per month. My union got us Long Term Disability insurance ( a lifesaver ) for around 20 a month. The company paid half and we the other. Vacations could partially be used as day-at-a-time for 10 days a year. Bidding for vacations and time off and job functions was by date of hire and in class seniority. Transfers among stations were the same. System wide bidding was open to see by all and not controlled by management.

This was all gained bit by bit over the years by a representational group of unions when an airline job was used to be a career and a proud one at that. Now it's Wal-Mart for new hires.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

PWMRamper

Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:23 am

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 36):

Yeah I didn't mean to generalize. Comair does everything for DL now.

There's only one fellow there I really like, and I can't even recall his name. He used to work for Northeast and now he's at Comair.

FX1816

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:04 pm

1998-2000, 2004 Ramp Agent/Lead for Ontario Aircraft Service (ONT). Handled anything literally, I worked on 56 different kinds of airplanes while there.

2002-2005 Team Leader FedEx (ONT). Did quite a bit there and had alot of fun. Mostly ran the Feeder operation and the OAK flight along with the weekend postal operation.

2005-2008 Supervisor DHL (ONT/RIV). Spent most of my time working at ONT but spent about a year working at RIV as supervisor/dispatcher. Handled plenty of Astar 727's and ABX 767's and DC-9's along with various feeder aircraft.

2009-Forever!!!! FAA

FX1816

pilotboi

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Former DL Ramp Agent, through PrimeFlight at DAB. Only made $8/hr but long shifts with long breaks so lots of hours for not much work.

Fabo

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:44 pm

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 40):
so lots of hours for not much work.

That is actually the aspect I dislike much. Problem is, free time is not so much free time in our rest areas. Best bet is to get you a notebook and be on the net all the time. Still, that is not even vaguely comparable to being at home, not limited by rules and aspects applied at work.
The light at the end of tunnel turned out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

pilotboi

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:55 am

Quoting Fabo (Reply 41):
Problem is, free time is not so much free time in our rest areas. Best bet is to get you a notebook and be on the net all the time. Still, that is not even vaguely comparable to being at home, not limited by rules and aspects applied at work

Our break room was not your typical work break room. TV with standard cable, couches and a lazyboy, free internet (from the terminal), and at various times we'd have a ping pong table, foosball, air hockey, and other games. Not to mention when someone would bring in their Xbox, Playstation, or other game system. Don't forget the refrigerator and almost full kitchen (minus an oven and dishwasher).

josekmlb

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:18 am

Quoting Nwaesc (Reply 32):
I love the job itself. Not a fan of a lot of the BS that comes along with it...

I know what you mean. Just today we had a late flight that landed after it did a few turns due to weather and we had it hold short of the ramp due to lightning. I swear that phone never stopped when are you guys going to bring in the plane??? It seems during everylightning storm either the gate or the plane calls us well it stopped raining.... well yes but lightning still within 5miles of the field cant work sorry.

jeffry747

Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:39 am

UPS Ramp guy here. I work the Next Day Air ramp operation at SDF. Been doing it since '98 and I still love it. I started out at $8.50 an hour. I used to get $1 raise every year until about 2 years ago. Now it's $0.35 every 6 months. I'm just a few cents short of $18 an hour, and I get full medical benefits with only $20 co-pay. I work a 30 hour garaunteed week. Did I mention Holiday pay? If you don't work a holiday, you get 6 hours of straight time added to your pay. If you DO work the holiday, you not only get your holiday pay, but additional doubletime for every hour you work that night. When I'm on the ramp, I have my own assigned tug, two way radio, and Techlogix (small handheld computer) I spend most of the night moving containers full of package volume from plane to building, plane to plane, or sometimes fetching a container from the building or yard to put on the plane. If a load crew needs an extra tug and driver for whatever reason, I'm the one they call. And when there's down time, I can visit the on site cafeteria for some quick food and/or drink, or find a nice spot at the edge of the ramp to watch planes come and go down 17R/35L

Quoting Aviateur (Reply 2):

If we were caught out past the vehicle drive path when an aircraft was passing by, we would definitely get yelled at. Different rules at different airports I guess.

Quoting Swa4life (Reply 4):
As for equipment, I agree with that as well. Our equipment is not pretty, and it breaks down quite a bit. On the other hand we operate a very vigorous operation and the wear and tear on the equipment reflects that. I often look across to the other concourse at MDW airport where Frontier operates and admire their sparkling new equipment, I also admire the 1 flight they work every 3 hours, as opposed to my 3.

Exactly. On my ramp we use the hell out of hour equipment. We try to be gentle, but it doesn't always work. My assigned tug is only about three years old, but it's been through 4 or 5 radiators, 2 starters, two gear shifts, don't know how many tires, and a few trips to the paint shop. It has all sorts of scratches and dings from pushing and pulling various things. Roughly 1/5 of all our ramp equipment is at the shop at all times. Despite the immense workload, our on site shops are pretty good at keeping equipment going when we need it.
C'mon Big B, FLY!